Blurry Vision Forces James Stewart Out of Oakland

Edited Date/Time 2/2/2016 5:40pm
"After missing the last two rounds due to a concussion sustained at the season opener, James Stewart’s main event at Round 4 of Monster Energy Supercross in Oakland ended after just eight laps, as the former champion pulled off, citing blurry vision, according to a team press release.

Stewart qualified directly from his heat in his first race back and was running third early in the main event before his lap times dropped from 54-55 seconds on laps two through five to the 56-58 seconds on laps six through eight.

According to Yoshimura Suzuki team manager Mike Webb, the symptoms started early in the main event. “James came in feeling he was good to go,” he said. “He rode three days this week and put in a lot of laps. He was riding well and looked more like the old James. He was solid all day and did well in his heat although didn't feel 100 percent. He got a great start in the main but after a couple laps he started to struggle with blurred vision and by lap nine he pulled off.”

Webb said that Stewart will undergo tests early this week and the team will proceed from there"
|
Motodave15
2/1/2016 7:33am
Im glad he did the best thing for his health.

For the asshats who have been posting redonkulous stuff in other threads, i hope you all get clicked.
Tbteam
2/1/2016 7:42am
I'm a Stewart fan. Seems to not be a really popular thing right now, but I've been watching him race since he was six years old.

From the moment I saw him on the bike Saturday night, he looked the most uncomfortable that I can ever remember. His rhythm was way off, and he just looked out of place.

I hope that either he fully recovers to the point that he is himself again, or hangs it up before he gets hurt. Lot's of time left in his life. I hope he lives it out in a very healthy state.
RedRum666
2/1/2016 7:51am
Motodave15 wrote:
Im glad he did the best thing for his health. For the asshats who have been posting redonkulous stuff in other threads, i hope you all...

For the asshats who have been posting redonkulous stuff in other threads, i hope you all get clicked.
Indeed.... I get it, there are dudes out there who don't like James - that is fine..... But you see all these posts about people calling him a pussy and all that nonsense... To those folks I ask, have you been watching James race since he was a kid ?.... Sure , James has made many mistakes in his career.....its frustrating as a fan, but this dude has taken bigger hits than most the guys out there and still keeps coming back.... Reed, goes out for practice knowing he is injured to give it a shot...he pulls out and he is a hero..... James goes out, gives it a shot - pulls out because he cant see straight and he is pussy.....classic..... after being off the bike and still dealing with concussion issues....he still provided one of the best 450 races this year (heat race).... i am bummed for the dude....but hes no pussy
2/1/2016 7:52am
Should have stayed away from any activity for 4 - 6 weeks, any activity at all that jars the body. THEN light exercise, running, etc to see how his body reacted, THEN tried riding.

The Shop

JeepnMike
2/1/2016 7:53am
Tbteam wrote:
I'm a Stewart fan. Seems to not be a really popular thing right now, but I've been watching him race since he was six years old...
I'm a Stewart fan. Seems to not be a really popular thing right now, but I've been watching him race since he was six years old.

From the moment I saw him on the bike Saturday night, he looked the most uncomfortable that I can ever remember. His rhythm was way off, and he just looked out of place.

I hope that either he fully recovers to the point that he is himself again, or hangs it up before he gets hurt. Lot's of time left in his life. I hope he lives it out in a very healthy state.
In his heat race he looked way off to me too. I thought it was a bike setup problem (especially up front). Maybe there was more going on than we realized though.

To the folks saying put a fork in him, is that what you really want? Like him or despise him, he adds entertainment to our favorite show and is fun to watch. The day he says to heck with this, will be a shitty day for all of us.
brewrabb
2/1/2016 7:54am
Motodave15 wrote:
Im glad he did the best thing for his health. For the asshats who have been posting redonkulous stuff in other threads, i hope you all...

RedRum666 wrote:
Indeed.... I get it, there are dudes out there who don't like James - that is fine..... But you see all these posts about people calling...
Indeed.... I get it, there are dudes out there who don't like James - that is fine..... But you see all these posts about people calling him a pussy and all that nonsense... To those folks I ask, have you been watching James race since he was a kid ?.... Sure , James has made many mistakes in his career.....its frustrating as a fan, but this dude has taken bigger hits than most the guys out there and still keeps coming back.... Reed, goes out for practice knowing he is injured to give it a shot...he pulls out and he is a hero..... James goes out, gives it a shot - pulls out because he cant see straight and he is pussy.....classic..... after being off the bike and still dealing with concussion issues....he still provided one of the best 450 races this year (heat race).... i am bummed for the dude....but hes no pussy
Here, here!
moto455va
2/1/2016 8:15am
insert "concussions have lingering effects" comments here
Sully22
2/1/2016 8:16am
It sucks he had that incident with Dungey, I'd love to see James 100% healthy and able to compete at the top level with the rest of the guys out there. I've never been a fan, not a hater either, but James being out there adds another level of excitement to the show...Get well James, and come back when you're ready.
mattmatt300
2/1/2016 8:18am
I was bummed he pulled off early but if he felt unsafe finishing then that was the right decision. As much as I'd love to see him Coke out and destroy the field, I just don't think it's in the cards for him. Every time he races at this point I worry that he's going to have a life altering accident.
moto455va
2/1/2016 8:23am
The dude had an entire year to take time off and prepare, get in shape, and come out swinging

Instead, he came back out of shape and unmotivated.
Zycki11
2/1/2016 8:23am
Sully22 wrote:
It sucks he had that incident with Dungey, I'd love to see James 100% healthy and able to compete at the top level with the rest...
It sucks he had that incident with Dungey, I'd love to see James 100% healthy and able to compete at the top level with the rest of the guys out there. I've never been a fan, not a hater either, but James being out there adds another level of excitement to the show...Get well James, and come back when you're ready.
The thing with that incident is that it wasn't a hard hit in normal terms. Just like Travis, he has hit his head so much that a normal hit will cause this. For James sake, take however long it takes to not only heal 100% and recharge the batteries, or hang em up. He has a lot to offer, has money in the bank, and maybe it is time to sit back and enjoy things more. He has earned it for sure. I have personally questioned his head injuries before this and the effect it has had on the way he rides. Hope he answers his own questions.
motomike137
2/1/2016 8:27am
Tbteam wrote:
I'm a Stewart fan. Seems to not be a really popular thing right now, but I've been watching him race since he was six years old...

x2
Sully22
2/1/2016 8:28am
moto455va wrote:
The dude had an entire year to take time off and prepare, get in shape, and come out swinging Instead, he came back out of shape...
The dude had an entire year to take time off and prepare, get in shape, and come out swinging

I don't necessarily think that's a fair assessment...we never got to see what he could do. to each their own though...
RedRum666
2/1/2016 8:28am
I always say...for James its " damned if you do...damned if you don't".... If he stayed out there with his issues and crashed - you would never hear the end of that either...

Unless he is on top of the box all you hear is he is a pussy, he is washed up etc.....in his current status of being fat, slow , looking like shit and so on...he still was right there with the best of them .....he'll get it figured out....health is first!
2/1/2016 8:37am
Love James but how many times do we have to read "the racing is more exciting when he's out there." I just don't like how much my heart rate jumps when he's on the line.
newmann
2/1/2016 8:41am
Career ending injury insurance policy? Way too many knocks to the head over the years. Seriously needs to rethink things and develop a plan, one that may not necessarily include racing for the championship but getting what he can out of the sport. With his lifestyle and spending habits he could easily be one of those broke athletes you read about on a weekly basis. Not hating either, his earning potential is still up there with the best of them.
Fonzarelli
2/1/2016 8:43am
Motodave15 wrote:

Maybe James had blurred vision. Maybe he did the best thing for his and everyone's safety. The cause of the uproar is the "maybe" that has to be in there because of James' history.

If Dungey had pulled off, not a single person would wonder if he was really hurting. Same goes for almost every pro rider ever. Problem for James is that he has pulled off so many times after a bad start, quit so many races while having a bad day and skipped so many races with dubious excuses. More than anyone ever, by far. He always got a reason, some lingering injury or practice crash. The excuses get thin after a while and they are as thin as cheap toilet paper for James now.

So maybe he's truly hurting this time or maybe he would just rather quit than get passed. Doubt anyone posting here really knows.
moto455va
2/1/2016 8:47am
RedRum666 wrote:
I always say...for James its " damned if you do...damned if you don't".... If he stayed out there with his issues and crashed - you would...
I always say...for James its " damned if you do...damned if you don't".... If he stayed out there with his issues and crashed - you would never hear the end of that either...

Unless he is on top of the box all you hear is he is a pussy, he is washed up etc.....in his current status of being fat, slow , looking like shit and so on...he still was right there with the best of them .....he'll get it figured out....health is first!
The only reason its that way with him is because he talks such a huge game about his dedication and desire to win, but seems to throw in the towel as soon as he hits some adversity. Im a James fan, but it feels like he is playing the shit out of us with his talk.
wreckitrandy
2/1/2016 8:47am
What was it that Jeff Ward said about James that got everybody so torn up? I've never been a fan. It's odd too because, I'd rather watch him ride than eat biscuits. He was just so cocky when he moved up that it struck me wrong. I hope he comes back full tilt. No excuses. And if he wins, full props. If he loses, no shame. One thing though, if you think James is a sissy for any reason,,, you are wrong. He's a tough dude. Bank on that. He's come back from lots of hits that would change most people's minds if it happened to them.
mauidex
2/1/2016 8:51am
James has hit his head probably more than anyone else...........and probably many times in the early days wasn't diagnosed either............with all the new findings on head trauma the next one could be devastating...........hopefully egos and contracts don't get in the way of long term health.............got nothing left to prove and pretty sure everyone in his life that matters knows that championships are most likely over
2/1/2016 8:55am
Didn't look comfortable all day from what I saw, then again the way the guys are attacking the corners now is scary, I think even a 100% James will be in for a fight. There aren't many riders with a record like JS that leave you thinking what could have been.
Big Lenny
2/1/2016 9:20am
moto455va wrote:
The dude had an entire year to take time off and prepare, get in shape, and come out swinging Instead, he came back out of shape...

Didn't you just read why he pulled off?...Damn..
Tracktor
2/1/2016 9:22am
I have a hard time with the fact that he passed an "all clear" from the hit at Anaheim 1? If so, maybe it might be time to revisit the standards for recovery?..............
Gringoe
2/1/2016 9:22am
moto455va wrote:

Big Lenny wrote:
You can't say he isn't right though
Gringoe
2/1/2016 9:24am
Tracktor wrote:
I have a hard time with the fact that he passed an "all clear" from the hit at Anaheim 1? If so, maybe it might be...
I have a hard time with the fact that he passed an "all clear" from the hit at Anaheim 1? If so, maybe it might be time to revisit the standards for recovery?..............
Well every dumbass in this sport apparently thinks oh I'm not a doctor and he passed the test doctors made so he's good to go.

Let's see, it's been two weeks since he passed the test and he still wasn't ready.

Doesn't take a doctor to understand he was not ready, therefore the test is not a good enough determining factor.
Big Lenny
2/1/2016 9:37am
moto455va wrote:

Big Lenny wrote:
Gringoe wrote:
That's what you got out of the whole 2 laps he completed at A1?...
Gringoe
2/1/2016 9:39am
Big Lenny wrote:
Gringoe wrote:
Big Lenny wrote:
No, that's what I saw at straight rythem, Lile and monster cup.

Big Lenny
2/1/2016 9:44am
Gringoe wrote:
Big Lenny wrote:
Gringoe wrote:

Boy...You buy 'em books and they eat the covers...Sad
Gringoe
2/1/2016 9:45am
Big Lenny wrote:
Gringoe wrote:

Big Lenny wrote:
Boy...You buy 'em books and they eat the covers...Sad
Look I'm a James fan too. He just is not what he used to be. That is all
2/1/2016 9:47am
moto455va wrote:

Sully22 wrote:
I don't necessarily think that's a fair assessment...we never got to see what he could do. to each their own though...
It's more than just unfair - moto455va's statement is uninformed and stupid. So stupid in fact, I'm inclined to believe it's simply a trolling maneuver, I'm going to bite anyway.

James came into the season in great shape and with excellent speed. If not for the incident in the first main event of the year, when he was running near the front, he would probably be sitting nicely in the points.

Post a reply to: Blurry Vision Forces James Stewart Out of Oakland

The Latest