Bike Security - Pickup Bed

dkg
Reading all the rip off thefts over the years has gotten me a little paranoid. What's the best way to secure bikes against theft while they are in the bed of a pickup? I've resorted to daisy chaining Bully cable locks chained through the frame of the bikes and then to the frame of the truck. Seems like there ought to be an easier way. Ideas?
|
ledger
2/20/2017 9:45pm
lostboy819 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/20/177530/s1200_hqdefault.jpg[/img]

And add a sign....Ed Johnson's Security Systems Since 1984...or something like that. I dig the van btw.
FWYT
2/20/2017 10:11pm
dkg wrote:
Reading all the rip off thefts over the years has gotten me a little paranoid. What's the best way to secure bikes against theft while they...
Reading all the rip off thefts over the years has gotten me a little paranoid. What's the best way to secure bikes against theft while they are in the bed of a pickup? I've resorted to daisy chaining Bully cable locks chained through the frame of the bikes and then to the frame of the truck. Seems like there ought to be an easier way. Ideas?
That's how I lock mine up, too.

The Shop

dmac1
2/20/2017 10:37pm
I have a big log chain and I run it through the frame of each bike and padlock it to the built in tiedown points in the bed of the truck. Another thing I'll do is put a padlock through the rear rotor. Then I park it under a light if possible....but not in sight of the road so that everyone driving by can see what is just waiting to be stolen. Another idea is park the tailgate against something to prevent it from being lowered. Sure...they could just pitch the bike out, but that'll make a bunch of noise...and mess up your bed.
pbody
Fantasy
347th
2/20/2017 11:07pm
It helps if you have a locking tailgate, and/or lock a bed extender in place.

Strategic parking also provides some assurance.
Braz
Fantasy
1033rd
2/20/2017 11:10pm
A pissed off pitbull
Racerxx
2/20/2017 11:32pm
I use 2 padlocks a big chain and a cable through the frames, gas cans and bike stands and lock it to the truck tie down mounts. I also have 4 of these little sonic alarms that are really loud they are about the size of a pager. When the pin is pulled they sound off. We stay in hotels all the time when going racing heard plenty of stories about bikes getting stolen, even from vans, I feel pretty safe but a good pair of bolt cutters could take care of the chains in seconds. I've looked into an alarm the sounds off on your cell phone but haven't found the right one yet.

These are pretty cheap and act as a deterrent http://www.tbotech.com/personal-alarms.htm

2/21/2017 1:21am
Buy a mercedes sprinter or volkswagen crafter. (if they have those in america) bike is secure and you can take a lot more stuff with you. Every serious racer in Europe has something like that.
Bennett59
2/21/2017 5:17am
Years ago my buddy had his kx 450 in back of the truck locked up backed up against so tailgate could not open also. They threw it over the side and left huge slash down the side of his truck. Police found it 2 years later in a bust on a guy stealing a street bike all spray painted and had 250f plastics zip tied to it
IWreckALot
2/21/2017 5:24am
The van comments seem to miss the point of the thread. . . I doubt many can afford a vehicle specifically to haul their bike around. I'm sure the OP knows you can only secure a bike to the nth degree in a truck. . . He's looking for truck ideas. . . not van ideas.
r.sal923
2/21/2017 6:40am
lostboy819 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/02/20/177530/s1200_hqdefault.jpg[/img]

ledger wrote:
And add a sign....Ed Johnson's Security Systems Since 1984...or something like that. I dig the van btw.
Or "johns septic services"
PDiddy241
2/21/2017 8:47am
When my bike stolen it was locked up with the thickest cable I could find -- the thieves cut it with bolt cutters very easily. (It was also in a locked enclosed trailer with the rear ramp door blocked by a vehicle and in 24/7 patrolled parking lot...)

Buy the heaviest CHAIN you can find and then sleeve it with swimming pool backwash hose (or something similar) to keep it from scratching stuff.

Lock your tailgate (on another A1 trip a dude at our hotel had his tailgate stolen).

Back up towards a building or wall or something... lifting the bikes over the side is much more difficult.

Keep your ramp in the truck's cab (and think of other ways to make stealing your bikes very hard)

Sleep in the truck

Buy insurance (mine's with GEICO for like $130/year) because NOTHING can prevent a thief who really wants to steal what you have... (and when he's arrested for stealing $100k plus of stuff he'll just serve a few months in jail and a few more on probation... and no one gives a hoot.)
2/21/2017 9:08am
dkg wrote:
Reading all the rip off thefts over the years has gotten me a little paranoid. What's the best way to secure bikes against theft while they...
1. keep truck in sight at all times.
2. concealed carry permit.
3. hand gun of choice. I prefer the Ruger SR9C do to high magazine capacity and light trigger.
4. keep the truck insight at all times.
TeamGreen
2/21/2017 10:48am
TeamGreen wrote:
Glock

Model 19 w/ Model 17 magazines

Cool
Brosho wrote:
Great Choice, but this will leave their fingers stuck to the bike for proof when law enforcement show up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V27sZQwT5D8
Pfffft...

Talk about blowing shit up!?

That BAR would get bone fragments all over my bike. Now, I know that you know that WE REALLY KNOW how to clean up some REALLY UGLY shit off of a bike; but, that really cuts into our bs'ing and riding.

Ya know?

I gotta tell ya, you Venice Beach Red-Necks are jus' crazy. Damn...crazy.
Tuzzo123
2/21/2017 11:28am
Risk Racing Lock-N Load with Padlocks instead of pins and bolt it to your truck bed. Check it out!

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
2/21/2017 12:18pm
IWreckALot wrote:
The van comments seem to miss the point of the thread. . . I doubt many can afford a vehicle specifically to haul their bike around...
The van comments seem to miss the point of the thread. . . I doubt many can afford a vehicle specifically to haul their bike around. I'm sure the OP knows you can only secure a bike to the nth degree in a truck. . . He's looking for truck ideas. . . not van ideas.
You sure seem to worry a lot about what people can and cant afford.
2/21/2017 12:33pm
IWreckALot wrote:
The van comments seem to miss the point of the thread. . . I doubt many can afford a vehicle specifically to haul their bike around...
You can use a van for other things also.... they're just more practical. The solution to keep your bike from being stolen out the back of a truck is simple.... never leave it alone. In my opinion you're an idiot if you leave your bike in the back of your truck when you're not there.
JRT812
2/21/2017 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2017 12:46pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Glock

Cool
ooor Glock 19 with Glock 33rd big stick mags haha
IWreckALot
2/21/2017 12:49pm
IWreckALot wrote:
You can use a van for other things also.... they're just more practical. The solution to keep your bike from being stolen out the back of...
You can use a van for other things also.... they're just more practical. The solution to keep your bike from being stolen out the back of a truck is simple.... never leave it alone. In my opinion you're an idiot if you leave your bike in the back of your truck when you're not there.
I don't necessarily disagree with you as far as moto and bike security goes. But, outside of moto, there are times when a truck is more practical. Just this last weekend I got a load of dirt in the bed of my truck. When I go hunting, I'd prefer to throw my game in a truck bed rather than in a van. Vans aren't as widely used in America (at least not in Texas) as they are overseas from what I've seen.

As I said, I'm sure the OP realizes there is only so much you can do to deter theft in a truck, but he was looking for the most effective way. I highly doubt he's going to read this thread and go buy a van.
JackkyT
2/21/2017 2:20pm
Are you allowed to shoot someone if they're stealing your bike from your "pick up" say at a motel or a carpark?
peelout
2/21/2017 2:25pm
keep your sprocket bolts loose when not riding, that'll show 'em
TeamGreen
2/21/2017 2:32pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Glock

Cool
JRT812 wrote:
ooor Glock 19 with Glock 33rd big stick mags haha
Ya know what ya call a full-mag in a Model 18? (33rd)
dkg
2/21/2017 3:03pm
Thank you for all the great suggestions. Damn I hate thieves and all the effort it takes to protect your stuff from them.

Also have a Glock 20, but was thinking of using it as backup for something like this.

ledger
2/21/2017 5:30pm
dkg wrote:
Thank you for all the great suggestions. Damn I hate thieves and all the effort it takes to protect your stuff from them. Also have a...
Thank you for all the great suggestions. Damn I hate thieves and all the effort it takes to protect your stuff from them.

Also have a Glock 20, but was thinking of using it as backup for something like this.

You have the right idea in this pic, just start at the knee's and work your way up. I had three bike's stolen from a storage unit, someone took notice while I was unloading the bike's from an enclosed trailer, I had my CR250 in the truck bed at that time which I took to my sister's house (thankfully), but I'll always wonder if the scumbags saw the CR first and followed me ? or was it an inside job ?...I'll probably never know. Sorry to step off topic with the van, I think it's an invitation to thieves when they see moto decals. I'll shut up after I say this, NEVER EVER put anything of value in Storage that does not have security camera's and watch your surroundings when you come home from riding.

Post a reply to: Bike Security - Pickup Bed

The Latest