Biggest... Never was.

Rab
5/5/2015 8:22am
Ian trettel, he could've done some damage if he never had that bad crash in Daytona that ended his short career.
Rab
5/5/2015 8:23am
Tpog496 wrote:
J law
J law won a lites title in 08
kawirider819
5/5/2015 8:24am
I know Izzi wasn't on top his last year in A class but before that he dominated. Was certain he'd be winning for years to come.

What about Adam Chatfield? A bit before I got into riding but I heard he was crazy fast in amateurs.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
5/5/2015 8:26am
hillbilly wrote:
Rodney Barr was better than Bradshaw ,he could ride a bike but imploded when a pro.

True statement sir...

The Shop

Dtat720
5/5/2015 8:28am
Mini Heros are just like pee-wee football stars......I know this first hand as I have lived it with my son who plays and loves football. Many...
Mini Heros are just like pee-wee football stars......I know this first hand as I have lived it with my son who plays and loves football. Many of the kids that are pee-wee football stars are not even playing anymore by the time they are varsity age. Why? because they have matured faster physically than the other kids. Point blank, they are bigger, stronger, faster at a younger age. We had a kid on my sons team that literally looked 25 years old in the eight grade. Receding hairline, full beard, best player in the league. This kid had the emotional maturity of a 5 year old. Tons of pressure on him because winning or losing was in his hands (just mortgaged the family home to buy another bike and go to Loretta's). Temper tantrums, getting kicked out of games acting like a total baby, because he was coddled because he was the star, bad behavior was allowed, rules didn't seem to apply to him, he was amazing (as many mini stars, think.. Buddy Antunez...just a beast) to watch. By the time he was a sophomore all the other kids had caught up physically and were not as beat up, the poor kid had a torn labrum in the seventh grade, carried the ball 25 times a game since the fourth grade. He was wore out and not noticeably better than the other kids at this point, so guess what, he quits! switches schools and runs with the wrong crowd at his new school and last we heard is in trouble with the law for drugs. Just like mini heros beat up and burned out by their 16th birthday. There are some exceptions of high expectations early in life that do become champs, in both football (Manning brothers comes to mind) and motocross (RC, JS7) but not many.
This is how i see the AM programs going... Look at AC and Deano.. Kids are practically wrecked healthwise before they can even get started. Prolific amatuers, i dont see either one of them making an entire season again without injury. I dont see either of them finishing a season period. So young, bodies are destroyed already.
Jordan421
Fantasy
2602nd
5/5/2015 9:07am
AC has to be in the list, even tho he is still young. When he was coming up threw the amateur ranks, people talked how he is the next RC and RV put into one, but sadly hasnt had the best pro start. Amd how many times has he injured the same arm/shoulder?
Lane-O103
5/5/2015 9:10am
Pastrana delivered when it came to winning and championships, won the 125 Nationals his rookie year and then 2001 won the East coast Sx but his career was ended way to short due to screwing up his new, I wish we could of seen a full healthy TP on a 250, seemed Travis was hurt some way or another.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3600th
5/5/2015 9:17am
This thread shows me a huge flaw in how we view our sports greatest. Good topic Scott. However it bothers me that guys like Alessi, AC, Deano, Reynard, etc are put into this category. Only one guy can win. I do not think the guys that have long careers inside the top 10 or 20 should be looked down upon. The guy that just misses qualifying for the fast 40 is the same guy that makes every dude at his local track look like a bitch. If we ever want our sport to grow there needs to be a solution where the guys from 1-40 are all making a solid living and getting the respect they deserve. Just my opinion of course.
slipdog
5/5/2015 9:32am
I'll second Eddie Hicks, He was a minibike god when I first started racing then turned pro and poof...
Tpog496
5/5/2015 9:33am
Tpog496 wrote:
J law
Rab wrote:
I don't care he's still on my list.
slipdog
5/5/2015 9:34am
jhansen510 wrote:
This thread shows me a huge flaw in how we view our sports greatest. Good topic Scott. However it bothers me that guys like Alessi, AC...
This thread shows me a huge flaw in how we view our sports greatest. Good topic Scott. However it bothers me that guys like Alessi, AC, Deano, Reynard, etc are put into this category. Only one guy can win. I do not think the guys that have long careers inside the top 10 or 20 should be looked down upon. The guy that just misses qualifying for the fast 40 is the same guy that makes every dude at his local track look like a bitch. If we ever want our sport to grow there needs to be a solution where the guys from 1-40 are all making a solid living and getting the respect they deserve. Just my opinion of course.
100% Agreed!
Canerat
5/5/2015 9:35am
I would like to see Ben Riddle in a few of the outdoors..obviously he would need some assistance with equipment and he is still young enough to put in great results.
Sully22
5/5/2015 9:51am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 9:52am
If we're going strictly off the question asked by the OP....Someone with multiple amateur titles and maybe even multiple factory rides that just wasn't able to win at the professional level?....then in my mind it would have to be Izzy. i don't think he ever won an overall, but he was on the podium often and fast as hell...injuries did him in.

I don't get it, a lot of the names mentioned in this thread have won at the Pro level...maybe not the amount they were expected to win based on their amateur career, or they didn't meet the expectations of fans or factories, but they won no less...and I don't understand how some of you guys have listed the names of riders like pastrana and j-law who have won titles???
5/5/2015 9:51am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 9:54am
the amount of retardation in this thread is astounding.

so as defined and required in this thread to be on the list, its win on a professional level, then morphed into its winning a big bike title or you're a never was.

ok.... then Kevin Windham. zero 450sx titles, zero 450 outdoor titles. blasphemy! And this shows you that things like this are a popularity contest, not a results contest.

Now if you mean huge potential and never really produced/rose to top level..... Alessi is NOT on that list, Millsaps definitely isn't on the list.

Flatliner
5/5/2015 9:52am
Tpog496 wrote:
J law
Rab wrote:
Tpog496 wrote:
I don't care he's still on my list.
Anyone who's made millions riding a dirt bike can't be considered a never was.
huck
5/5/2015 10:00am
How can some of you say TP199 is a 'never was'??? He's made more money than almost any racer, and has been involved with what he loves longer than most too....

ridge
5/5/2015 10:02am
Butch Smith
Joel Albrecht
Flatliner
5/5/2015 10:04am
the amount of retardation in this thread is astounding. so as defined and required in this thread to be on the list, its win on a...

so as defined and required in this thread to be on the list, its win on a professional level, then morphed into its winning a big bike title or you're a never was.

ok.... then Kevin Windham. zero 450sx titles, zero 450 outdoor titles. blasphemy! And this shows you that things like this are a popularity contest, not a results contest.

Now if you mean huge potential and never really produced/rose to top level..... Alessi is NOT on that list, Millsaps definitely isn't on the list.

The only thing with Alessi , I think most people would have picked him to win more. I know that's almost unfair, it's just the way he dominated as an amateur rider. I know I thought of him as someone who would win supercross races, which hadn't happened yet ( I don't think he won on a 250 but I could be wrong).

I just can't help but wonder how he'd do on a good team and the big thing is, without tony around. Just have it be mike, the team and his trainer. I know he's had factory bikes, but I can't recall the family taking a step back and letting mike do things on his own.
visser62
5/5/2015 10:14am
It's hard to define what "never was" means, because you could be talking about an obscure mini rider, or somebody who rode at the professional level. But I personally feel like Pastrana was the furthest from his potential. I know he has an outdoor title and a regional SX title, but still, I can't help but wonder what would have happened if he had stayed healthy and focused on the 250. He might be happier with the way his career has gone, though.
Dtat720
5/5/2015 10:17am
the amount of retardation in this thread is astounding. so as defined and required in this thread to be on the list, its win on a...

Flatliner wrote:
The only thing with Alessi , I think most people would have picked him to win more. I know that's almost unfair, it's just the way...
The only thing with Alessi , I think most people would have picked him to win more. I know that's almost unfair, it's just the way he dominated as an amateur rider. I know I thought of him as someone who would win supercross races, which hadn't happened yet ( I don't think he won on a 250 but I could be wrong).

I just can't help but wonder how he'd do on a good team and the big thing is, without tony around. Just have it be mike, the team and his trainer. I know he's had factory bikes, but I can't recall the family taking a step back and letting mike do things on his own.
Thats because it will never happen, Mike has said on many occassions Tony is part of the deal and Tony will always be part of the deal and if they ask for Tony to step back, Mike will step back. For whatever reason, Mike and Tony are a package deal, and that is Mikes choosing as he has said more than once. So, thinking Mike would do better without him? Mike doesnt feel he can, and that is a huge part of it. Obviously Mike doesnt have a problem with Tony, so why should anyone else?
PalerBlue
5/5/2015 10:36am
Mini Heros are just like pee-wee football stars......I know this first hand as I have lived it with my son who plays and loves football. Many...
Mini Heros are just like pee-wee football stars......I know this first hand as I have lived it with my son who plays and loves football. Many of the kids that are pee-wee football stars are not even playing anymore by the time they are varsity age. Why? because they have matured faster physically than the other kids. Point blank, they are bigger, stronger, faster at a younger age. We had a kid on my sons team that literally looked 25 years old in the eight grade. Receding hairline, full beard, best player in the league. This kid had the emotional maturity of a 5 year old. Tons of pressure on him because winning or losing was in his hands (just mortgaged the family home to buy another bike and go to Loretta's). Temper tantrums, getting kicked out of games acting like a total baby, because he was coddled because he was the star, bad behavior was allowed, rules didn't seem to apply to him, he was amazing (as many mini stars, think.. Buddy Antunez...just a beast) to watch. By the time he was a sophomore all the other kids had caught up physically and were not as beat up, the poor kid had a torn labrum in the seventh grade, carried the ball 25 times a game since the fourth grade. He was wore out and not noticeably better than the other kids at this point, so guess what, he quits! switches schools and runs with the wrong crowd at his new school and last we heard is in trouble with the law for drugs. Just like mini heros beat up and burned out by their 16th birthday. There are some exceptions of high expectations early in life that do become champs, in both football (Manning brothers comes to mind) and motocross (RC, JS7) but not many.
What a top quality post!

Unlike this thread, which is just an invitation to pile in and shit on talented riders. A lot of the "fans" here have little comprehension of what it takes to be successful at any pro sport. Just witness the disrespect by many (but not all) AMERICANS given to RV over his non-domination in GPs. It's just sad.
A. DLeary
5/5/2015 10:57am

Many of us rate racers based off the potential they had to succeed vs their actual success rate. A racer who dominated guys like RV as an armature, only dropping one race to him at Ponca City could then be rated lower than a guy like Weston Peick because Weston was never expected to do anything.

We call it bench racing, and can be very fun when we don't have to deal with the political correct, everyone's a winner group.
Flatliner
5/5/2015 11:02am

Flatliner wrote:
The only thing with Alessi , I think most people would have picked him to win more. I know that's almost unfair, it's just the way...

Dtat720 wrote:
Thats because it will never happen, Mike has said on many occassions Tony is part of the deal and Tony will always be part of the...
Thats because it will never happen, Mike has said on many occassions Tony is part of the deal and Tony will always be part of the deal and if they ask for Tony to step back, Mike will step back. For whatever reason, Mike and Tony are a package deal, and that is Mikes choosing as he has said more than once. So, thinking Mike would do better without him? Mike doesnt feel he can, and that is a huge part of it. Obviously Mike doesnt have a problem with Tony, so why should anyone else?
Which is fine if that's how he wants to go. It's his career. Having said that he's on a team right now that has little to none in the way of factory support. Those two things are related.
A. DLeary
5/5/2015 11:04am
Flatliner wrote:

Dtat720 wrote:
Thats because it will never happen, Mike has said on many occassions Tony is part of the deal and Tony will always be part of the...
Flatliner wrote:
Which is fine if that's how he wants to go. It's his career. Having said that he's on a team right now that has little to...
Which is fine if that's how he wants to go. It's his career. Having said that he's on a team right now that has little to none in the way of factory support. Those two things are related.
And wont even be able to win a Canadien Championship this year. His career has been a giant WTF are you doing moment for me.
Mx286
5/5/2015 11:18am Edited Date/Time 5/5/2015 11:18am
He didn't have a million titles like Izzi or Alessi but Billy Fosnock! He beat a lot of fast guys as an amateur at different times...
He didn't have a million titles like Izzi or Alessi but Billy Fosnock! He beat a lot of fast guys as an amateur at different times (Emig, Larocco, Hughes, Brown). He won a decent amount of motos ar LL's but headed down the wrong path and ended up going to jail
I didn't know Billy since it was before my time but was told a pretty good story about him.

Story goes that he showed up to Loretta's one year and smoked the entire field of A riders and was not a well known and didn't have to much support. Turned pro got a ride with Yamaha or some other team and rode a few Supercross races, then robbed a convenient store the same night as the race. Lost his ride and fell off after that. Maybe someone else on here may know a little more than I was told??
Dtat720
5/5/2015 11:32am
Dtat720 wrote:
Flatliner wrote:
Which is fine if that's how he wants to go. It's his career. Having said that he's on a team right now that has little to...
A. DLeary wrote:
And wont even be able to win a Canadien Championship this year. His career has been a giant WTF are you doing moment for me.
Live by the sword, die by the sword. Thats all i can say about it. Maybe he feels he has something to prove, without factory support. Or maybe hes jist having fun as long as he can and has less pressure to perform not having factory support now. Who knows. I dont knock the guy, hes doing more than 99% of the moto guys of the world are doing. Wether hes lived up to the hype or not, hes doing it still. Cant say that for a lot of the others.
mauidex
5/5/2015 11:32am
visser62 wrote:
It's hard to define what "never was" means, because you could be talking about an obscure mini rider, or somebody who rode at the professional level...
It's hard to define what "never was" means, because you could be talking about an obscure mini rider, or somebody who rode at the professional level. But I personally feel like Pastrana was the furthest from his potential. I know he has an outdoor title and a regional SX title, but still, I can't help but wonder what would have happened if he had stayed healthy and focused on the 250. He might be happier with the way his career has gone, though.
BINGO visser................"never was" too subjective as you can see.........better question, or another subject is who never reached their full potential, the opposite of say McGrath or Carmichael...............in that regard IMO several with top one right now being James Stewart, Pastrana for sure and without a doubt Damon Bradshaw.......quite a few dozen more in the last 20 years....

now another category is who never met the expectations that were previewed in their amateur career, without a doubt Alessi heads this, and the beast double dips a bit.........

and as another poster mentioned it is sad that actually most anyone who used to get that top 100 national number can't even make a living on the professional level..................one of the reasons NASCAR is so popular......winning really has nothing to do with success....it is the icing on the cake............would be nice for anyone in the top 20 points let's say in SX gets a guaranteed salary for next year...........won't eevn go into risk vs. reward as if you bring that up moto is right there with playing chicken with a train.....Wink

Post a reply to: Biggest... Never was.

The Latest