Big Dude Races

Edited Date/Time 11/11/2014 8:51pm
Ok, I know I'm opening myself up for a lot of judging and maybe some rude and negative comments. But everyone's entitled to there opinion and it's all good. I race motocross in Northern Nevada and Northern California. Been riding since I was 11 years old. I'm a very big guy. I weigh in at 386lbs. My bikes are KLX110L, CRF450 both are 2013s. I race C class pretty competitively considering my competition is half my size if not less. I just want to know why big guys like myself and why smaller guys don't believe we can ride? I will get pictures posted up of my riding at milestone on the beginner track at milestone on my 110 hitting some of the big tables and passing a few riders. So please. Give me some feedback.

And for the record yes I am working on losing weight but medical related issues are making it more difficult then it should be.
|
Grieby54
11/10/2014 5:52am Edited Date/Time 11/10/2014 5:52am
I think it's great that you're out there riding and being active. It's also great that you've set some goals to lose weight.

To answer your question - I don't think anyone thinks bigger guys can't ride, but I'd say most think they can't be competitive for a few reasons:
You have to be in shape to ride fast.
Typically there's a reasonable amount of body English needed to make the bike do what you want it to, and the bigger you are the less able you are to move around and finesse the bike.
The bike was built for someone less than half your weight and was not designed to perform under that much weight.
You have to be somewhat nimble to recover from mistakes and make adjustments while riding.

Just a few thoughts, but like I said - good on you for riding. Keep at it!
Idaho747
11/10/2014 5:56am
I feel your pain buddy. I'm 285 and constantly have people saying it's very impressive watching a big guy like me race the way I do. It's honestly kinda nice to show people not to judge too quickly.
moto38
11/10/2014 6:09am
Something something power to weight ratio
11/10/2014 6:12am
Grieby54 wrote:
I think it's great that you're out there riding and being active. It's also great that you've set some goals to lose weight. To answer your...
I think it's great that you're out there riding and being active. It's also great that you've set some goals to lose weight.

To answer your question - I don't think anyone thinks bigger guys can't ride, but I'd say most think they can't be competitive for a few reasons:
You have to be in shape to ride fast.
Typically there's a reasonable amount of body English needed to make the bike do what you want it to, and the bigger you are the less able you are to move around and finesse the bike.
The bike was built for someone less than half your weight and was not designed to perform under that much weight.
You have to be somewhat nimble to recover from mistakes and make adjustments while riding.

Just a few thoughts, but like I said - good on you for riding. Keep at it!
For my weight I consider myself a pretty "nimble" rider. I mean I'm not going to be a pro or even a fast local pro. But if I'm out on my bike holding onto the skinnier riders it makes me smile ear to ear. It hurts a lot of guys feelings when I ride my stock 450 and I'm keeping up with them on there 450 mod bikes. I think for my size I can rail pretty damn hard. And as far as avoiding crashes and what not. I got that covered by training most of my time on single track trails with rocks whoops and sand. Nature's goodness.

The Shop

11/10/2014 6:15am
Idaho747 wrote:
I feel your pain buddy. I'm 285 and constantly have people saying it's very impressive watching a big guy like me race the way I do...
I feel your pain buddy. I'm 285 and constantly have people saying it's very impressive watching a big guy like me race the way I do. It's honestly kinda nice to show people not to judge too quickly.
Yeah I get that a lot. I've been to so cal a few times and riders down there don't take to kindly to big dudes racing on there tracks. But it's not because I was holding them up it was more because no one likes being passed by the biggest dude on the track.
mattmatt300
11/10/2014 6:21am
Outsider wrote:
Not buying it
This ^ Also, at 385 there is no way a klx110 is moving with you on it much less jumping anything.
Grieby54
11/10/2014 6:24am
Idaho747 wrote:
I feel your pain buddy. I'm 285 and constantly have people saying it's very impressive watching a big guy like me race the way I do...
Yeah I get that a lot. I've been to so cal a few times and riders down there don't take to kindly to big dudes racing...
Yeah I get that a lot. I've been to so cal a few times and riders down there don't take to kindly to big dudes racing on there tracks. But it's not because I was holding them up it was more because no one likes being passed by the biggest dude on the track.
I don't think anyone dislikes big guys on the track. If you think that you clearly have a chip on your shoulder and are projecting your insecurities on the other guys out there.

Let's see some style pics.
11/10/2014 6:30am
Lol, no I just love lying to people to make myself feel good right. I will have pictures coming up soon. And if you've rode a 110l that's geared more towards the adult rider then you really can't tell me it doesn't have the power. And please if you don't buy it I'll be down at milestone February 7th-9th. 861 on the Honda crf450.
11/10/2014 6:34am
Idaho747 wrote:
Yeah I get that a lot. I've been to so cal a few times and riders down there don't take to kindly to big dudes racing...
Grieby54 wrote:
I don't think anyone dislikes big guys on the track. If you think that you clearly have a chip on your shoulder and are projecting your...
I don't think anyone dislikes big guys on the track. If you think that you clearly have a chip on your shoulder and are projecting your insecurities on the other guys out there.

I'll get plenty up. Wish you could pull them off the phone and upload them but I guess it won't work. So I gotta save them to my computer and get them up. They'll be up in the hour.
Grieby54
11/10/2014 6:37am
Lol, no I just love lying to people to make myself feel good right. I will have pictures coming up soon. And if you've rode a...
Lol, no I just love lying to people to make myself feel good right. I will have pictures coming up soon. And if you've rode a 110l that's geared more towards the adult rider then you really can't tell me it doesn't have the power. And please if you don't buy it I'll be down at milestone February 7th-9th. 861 on the Honda crf450.
Buddy, you don't need to prove yourself to anyone. This is all about going out to the track and having fun, not worrying about starting some crap because you have some insecurities about your size in this sport.

And for what it's worth, there's no way a 110 could pass even a c class rider on most tracks.
Grieby54
11/10/2014 6:38am
Grieby54 wrote:
I don't think anyone dislikes big guys on the track. If you think that you clearly have a chip on your shoulder and are projecting your...

I'll get plenty up. Wish you could pull them off the phone and upload them but I guess it won't work. So I gotta save them...
I'll get plenty up. Wish you could pull them off the phone and upload them but I guess it won't work. So I gotta save them to my computer and get them up. They'll be up in the hour.
I think you can post photos from your phone. Let me try....

Grieby54
11/10/2014 6:40am
Yup! Just hit upload photo and select from your library.
11/10/2014 6:41am

Well I finally got it. And no I ride the C class on my 450. I was just smashing around on my 110 on the beginner track.

hvaughn88
11/10/2014 6:45am
I mean this as a compliment, but you don't look like you weigh 386. You must carry your weight well.
Grieby54
11/10/2014 6:46am
Nice! You don't look 380 lbs...

Keep rippin!
11/10/2014 6:49am
I am. And thank you very much! I'm built like a house haha. Big and I got a lot of muscle though
mx317
11/10/2014 7:03am
I'm over 200 lbs myself (that's me in my avatar) but if I didn't race and try to keep myself a little fit I'd be over 300 lbs most likely. Keep riding, it's the most fun exercise you will ever do!
11/10/2014 7:07am
mx317 wrote:
I'm over 200 lbs myself (that's me in my avatar) but if I didn't race and try to keep myself a little fit I'd be over...
I'm over 200 lbs myself (that's me in my avatar) but if I didn't race and try to keep myself a little fit I'd be over 300 lbs most likely. Keep riding, it's the most fun exercise you will ever do!
Heck yeah man! Like I said medical related issues haven't helped me lose weight. I do a lot of active things as far as bmx and snowboarding and motocross. I try to dip my hand in everything because being bored sucks!
IWreckALot
11/10/2014 7:08am Edited Date/Time 11/10/2014 7:10am
I was at a local track one day when Blake Wharton showed up and I believe he had a pretty hefty friend with him. When he unloaded, I was pretty quick to judge but then I saw him riding. . . That dude was railing corners and hucking the jumps like a 15 year old at 110lbs. I no longer pass judgement on bigger dudes.

Something does seem fishy about 386 and being a competitive C rider on a 110. . . Are you really concerned about what the buck fifty guys think about your riding abilities?

The answers as to why smaller dudes think that bigger dudes can't ride are probably pretty obvious. I know none of us are really expecting to be pros, but you don't see many guys racing an AMA national above 160.
IWreckALot
11/10/2014 7:10am
mx317 wrote:
I'm over 200 lbs myself (that's me in my avatar) but if I didn't race and try to keep myself a little fit I'd be over...
I'm 215 myself. When I started my desk job 8 years ago, I was about 170 and it's just crept up on me. I've been trying to go the other direction for about a year. I've stopped gaining weight at least but I need to do a little more to start taking it back off.
11/10/2014 7:14am

For the record. I weighed between 350 and 400 lbs in these pictures. I have rode many different bikes lol
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
11/10/2014 7:25am Edited Date/Time 11/10/2014 7:26am
Awesome riding! My girlfriend catches hell, but it don't stop her from riding!

11/10/2014 7:29am
Crash82 wrote:
Awesome riding! My girlfriend catches hell, but it don't stop her from riding! [img]http://1.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/32/67/28fb581c26566bac2a2cad0644dec067-fat-woman-on-bike.jpg[/img]
Awesome riding! My girlfriend catches hell, but it don't stop her from riding!

Lmfao! Nice pic man!
Sandberm
11/10/2014 7:43am
Whats the point of this thread? Somebody notices that you are big? Who cares.

We all get noticed for different things.
11/10/2014 8:02am
Sandberm wrote:
Whats the point of this thread? Somebody notices that you are big? Who cares.

We all get noticed for different things.
Just simply sparking a discussion n gathering opinions from other racers. And yes I just don't like when people automatically assume your going to ride like shit because your big.

Post a reply to: Big Dude Races

The Latest