Best way to tie down a bike

VilloFan951
So I just got a new truck and haven't put my bike in it yet it's a Silverado with the short bed so I know the bike will be sideways but do any of you have advice on how to tie that bitch down so it doesn't flip around
|
zehn
6/11/2016 9:09pm
Soft ties and Ancra's (the real ones)
Crush
6/11/2016 9:10pm
Go around the forks between your clamps, it will pull it sideways and down and also keep your cables clear...
mb
6/11/2016 10:31pm
Pick a side of the truck, put the front tire straight in, bike needs to be loaded as if you were going to load two bikes. Strap the front down traditionally using handlebars, then pick up the rear and swing it the other way so that you can shut the bed. I use a tie down on top of rear tire.

If you have the super short bed You might have to go corner to corner or just say screw it and roll with the bike straight and tailgate down.

The Shop

plowboy
6/12/2016 6:05am
I invested in a fork saver(dohicky that fits between front tire and fender). I used to replace fork seals 3 to 4 times a year. When I stated hauling with that thing maybe only once.
kkawboy14
6/12/2016 6:19am
Personally I load it straight in and leave the tailgate down.
bf884
6/12/2016 6:50am
Ok. This is the best way I found. Put the bike in on an angle with the front tire in the corner of the bed, drivers side. Swing the back tire all the way until it contacts the passenger side of the bed. The bike should be straight at this point, angled. Now run straps from your bottom anchors to the foot pegs. You can compress the rear suspension. You can now do donuts and go mud riding and your bike will stay in place.
6/12/2016 7:04am
OR Racer46 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/06/11/138744/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

If you have hooks in the front and rear of the bed put the front tire in a corner with the bike straight (or as straight as you can). Run the cab side of the bike to the front hook, backside of the bike to the rear. I usually go from the bars. Doesn't compress the suspension and if you make sure the rear tire is up against the bed it won't move.
DPW
6/12/2016 8:12am
Crush wrote:
Go around the forks between your clamps, it will pull it sideways and down and also keep your cables clear...
this ^^ soft tie downs on fork tubes above lower clamp
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
6/12/2016 9:48am
My post dissapeared. Wth?
Motoxdoc
6/12/2016 10:03am
So I just got a new truck and haven't put my bike in it yet it's a Silverado with the short bed so I know the...
So I just got a new truck and haven't put my bike in it yet it's a Silverado with the short bed so I know the bike will be sideways but do any of you have advice on how to tie that bitch down so it doesn't flip around
Any soft-tie tie downs with your tailgate down and a https://readyramp.com/....this extends your bed, keeps your stuff from flying out and eliminates the need to store a ramp.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
843rd
6/12/2016 10:11am
When I put my bike like this it almost locks it in . Some times if I am going somewhere close I will just load it straight and leave the tailgate down But I have loaded it this way so many times there are marks on the front of my bed from the front tire . I just hit the mark slide the rear over and away I go
race
6/12/2016 10:30am
plowboy wrote:
I invested in a fork saver(dohicky that fits between front tire and fender). I used to replace fork seals 3 to 4 times a year. When...
I invested in a fork saver(dohicky that fits between front tire and fender). I used to replace fork seals 3 to 4 times a year. When I stated hauling with that thing maybe only once.
Are fork savers even needed with modern suspension?

Aren't those a holdover from back in the day when springs / seals were of lesser quality?

CG118
6/12/2016 10:39am
May I suggest you get a sport-bar or some kind of front bed support, to keep the bed wall from bowing against the cab of the truck.
DPW
6/12/2016 11:00am
CG118 wrote:
May I suggest you get a sport-bar or some kind of front bed support, to keep the bed wall from bowing against the cab of the...
May I suggest you get a sport-bar or some kind of front bed support, to keep the bed wall from bowing against the cab of the truck.
problem for me was drilling holes in the truck bed for a sports-bar, I just bought some 2x4 and made a front bed support I could remove when I was done transporting bikes cheaper also.
blusmbl
6/12/2016 11:55am
So I just got a new truck and haven't put my bike in it yet it's a Silverado with the short bed so I know the...
Motoxdoc wrote:
Any soft-tie tie downs with your tailgate down and a [url=https://readyramp.com/]https://readyramp.com/[/url]....this extends your bed, keeps your stuff from flying out and eliminates the need to store...
Any soft-tie tie downs with your tailgate down and a https://readyramp.com/....this extends your bed, keeps your stuff from flying out and eliminates the need to store a ramp.
I bought a ready ramp about 7 years ago and use it a bunch. Loaded everything from my crf70 to my 850lb Harley on it, works like a champ. Would definitely buy another one just for the convenience of being able to have 2 bikes in a shortbed truck with the tailgate down.
BAMX
6/12/2016 12:15pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Personally I load it straight in and leave the tailgate down.
Same here. I like to be able to see out of my rear view mirror so I put the bike behind me. I will throw in a plug for High Roller Tie Downs. They cost a little more but they last forever.
plowboy
6/12/2016 2:56pm
race wrote:

Aren't those a holdover from back in the day when springs / seals were of lesser quality?

I would think the constant pressure from being compressed isn't good for a bike of any age. I should have said that my bike basically lived in the bed of the truck for years. Haulded it to work, went riding, went home....repeat. Race on the weekend.
BobPA
6/12/2016 3:05pm
plowboy wrote:
I would think the constant pressure from being compressed isn't good for a bike of any age. I should have said that my bike basically lived...
I would think the constant pressure from being compressed isn't good for a bike of any age. I should have said that my bike basically lived in the bed of the truck for years. Haulded it to work, went riding, went home....repeat. Race on the weekend.
Common misconception, leaving your forks compressed has no affect on seal life.
nm143
6/12/2016 3:29pm
They're a bit of an investment, but I really like the Risk Racing Lock-n-load system for holding bikes. I bought one a few years ago and have used it in the previous and current moto-van to secure my bike. Holds bike steady and I've spaced it up slightly so theres very little compression on the front or rear suspension. Using straps seems tedious now by comparison.

http://www.riskracing.com/pages/Lock-N-Load_Motocross_Transport_Page.ht…
ns503
6/12/2016 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2016 4:57pm
race wrote:

plowboy wrote:
I would think the constant pressure from being compressed isn't good for a bike of any age. I should have said that my bike basically lived...
You think fork savers save fork seals?
nytsmaC
6/12/2016 5:18pm
CG118 wrote:
May I suggest you get a sport-bar or some kind of front bed support, to keep the bed wall from bowing against the cab of the...
DPW wrote:
problem for me was drilling holes in the truck bed for a sports-bar, I just bought some 2x4 and made a front bed support I could...
problem for me was drilling holes in the truck bed for a sports-bar, I just bought some 2x4 and made a front bed support I could remove when I was done transporting bikes cheaper also.
Get this one. It fits in the new GMC/Chevy with no drilling required, just use big thick washers inside the existing holes in the truck bed. They work great.

CCR Bed Buddy
6/12/2016 6:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2016 6:37pm
We just leave the tailgate open and strap it down straight.
Matrix fatty straps around the handlebars.. Been using the same straps for over three years...perfect.
lumpy790
6/12/2016 7:03pm
nm143 wrote:
They're a bit of an investment, but I really like the Risk Racing Lock-n-load system for holding bikes. I bought one a few years ago and...
They're a bit of an investment, but I really like the Risk Racing Lock-n-load system for holding bikes. I bought one a few years ago and have used it in the previous and current moto-van to secure my bike. Holds bike steady and I've spaced it up slightly so theres very little compression on the front or rear suspension. Using straps seems tedious now by comparison.

http://www.riskracing.com/pages/Lock-N-Load_Motocross_Transport_Page.ht…
Planing on getting a couple of the Lock & Load for my trailer
Lightning78
6/12/2016 11:06pm
Exactly like this I have the same truck with a shorter bed so I leave the bike kicked over and my tailgate just stays down the wheel fits perfectly in the groove between the tailgate and the bed itself
Osaka627
6/12/2016 11:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/12/2016 11:42pm
In a pickup truck put the front wheel in the left front corner and slide the real wheel to back right corneri. You should now be able to close the tip gate.

Then take tie down and took to right front corner hole slot pull back place on footpeg or where the sub frame connects.

Now do the same thing. Turn around back right corner stretch place on peg or where sub frame meets
Osaka627
6/13/2016 12:53am
Exactly like this I have the same truck with a shorter bed so I leave the bike kicked over and my tailgate just stays down the...
Exactly like this I have the same truck with a shorter bed so I leave the bike kicked over and my tailgate just stays down the wheel fits perfectly in the groove between the tailgate and the bed itself
Wow I have should have read before posting. I think OR may have stolen it from me initially anyhow
BKoonts
6/13/2016 2:45am
This is the way. Wedge the front tire into a corner. One tie down to the front and one to the back. It will not budge.

Post a reply to: Best way to tie down a bike

The Latest