Best way to sell a bike?

bigmaico
Edited Date/Time 11/21/2015 3:38pm
Gang,

I haven't sold a bike in 20 years & I have to sell 3 of them! Crushed a virtabrae in my low back!

I know about using the classifieds on the web sites, But I need to barrow a Digital camera for pic's first.

I know about Evil-bay , But the scams & fees make me leery!

Same with Craig's list , any tips on avoiding the scams would be helpful.

Any other tips would be grate too!

Thanks in advance for the help.
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/21/2015 7:14am
Craigslist is the best. The way to avoid scams and annoying people is to only let them contact you via phone. If I get an email, I just reply " call me for more info." Every single email about paying via PayPal and shipping is fake.

The best way to get viewers is by making sure your using the correct keywords like: Ktm, SX-f, sxf, dirt bike, motocross" words that people will be using in their search.
KMC440
11/21/2015 7:16am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2015 7:18am
You're right it is a pain in the ass to sell anything anymore. Therefore I will gladly receive the aforementioned motorbikes as a gift.

No thank you nessesary, I do this as a service to my fellow man.

Sorry to hear about your back. Hope you're as close to 100% soon.
blusmbl
11/21/2015 7:37am
On craigslist be prepared to have a bunch of people text/email you lowball offers without seeing the bikes in person, and also expect odd trade offers. Quads, electronics, fur coats, junk cars, etc.
11/21/2015 7:55am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2015 8:28am
Expect inner city thugs to blows up your phone ask hours of the night.

I'd buy a prepaid throw away phone for $30 for a month and sell it that way.

The Shop

moto0852
11/21/2015 8:30am
Craigslist has been a futile nightmare for me over the years. I personally LOVE Ebay. Price it right and you know for sure it will be sold in 7 days. I sell all my bikes and cars there. People always laugh when I tell them I'm getting something new and my old one will be sold on such and such a date. Nationwide audience. $125 bucks to sell it. It's worth it to me.
Calihusky
11/21/2015 8:32am
I was wondering the same thing. I sold a non running bike on craigslist once for $500 and it was easy. The guy just wanted to strip it for parts. Now I have a low hours nice running bike to sell but I'm dreading having people wanting to test ride it all over the neighborhood and then pay with fake checks. I have heard of people taking bikes for test rides and never coming back. If I sell it to a dealer I'm sure I will get a low ball price.
slipdog
11/21/2015 8:32am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2015 8:34am
(Photo was a little more "nippley" than I first thought)

P.S. Sorry to hear about your back.
11/21/2015 8:41am
Calihusky wrote:
I was wondering the same thing. I sold a non running bike on craigslist once for $500 and it was easy. The guy just wanted to...
I was wondering the same thing. I sold a non running bike on craigslist once for $500 and it was easy. The guy just wanted to strip it for parts. Now I have a low hours nice running bike to sell but I'm dreading having people wanting to test ride it all over the neighborhood and then pay with fake checks. I have heard of people taking bikes for test rides and never coming back. If I sell it to a dealer I'm sure I will get a low ball price.
You could always tell them no riding in the neighborhood. You can put it in gear and show them that the clutch works and that's all they should need.

Cash money only.

I've both bought and sold bikes without riding them around. I also had a guy bring me to a dump by his house late at night to ride a bike and we got "pulled over" by a drunk cop. That was interesting. Luckily he let us go.

You could also meet them at a track near you if they insist on riding it. Or just tell them that's the deal, take it or leave it.
MXD
11/21/2015 8:45am
Let Chad Reed ride it in opening ceremonies and then throw it on eBay.
WeiserGuy
11/21/2015 9:38am
Take it to any big inner city, and it will be gone quicker than you can call 911. Now whether you receive any money is another story.
40Plus_922mx
11/21/2015 9:53am
Detail it out with a toothbrush.
Take great pictures of it including close ups of the controls, tires, rims, side cases etc.
Research your exact make and model to determine where you would like your price to be ie. top, middle or bottom.

Stick it on Craigslist with an honest description. Then wait for the right buyer.

THE WRONG BUYER:
"Well, it looked a lot cleaner in the pictures?"
"What is the lowest price you'll take?"
"Wanna trade?, I got lotsa cool stuff. Hit me up bruh"

THE RIGHT BUYER
"Ah man I have been looking for this bike for a long time"
"My best friend has the exact same bike and he loves it"

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
11/21/2015 10:03am
I'm trying to sell my 250F right now and am trying avoid craigslist. I've bough and sold tons of stuff over the years through craigslist including bikes and cars but I really care for my bikes, know the quality of people you can run across on Craigslist, and just don't want to subject myself and my bike to that. I'm trying to stick to motocross specific sites for now but may eventually go the eBay route (maybe).

Has anyone tried cycle trader recently?
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
11/21/2015 11:16am
I've had pretty good luck buying and selling on craigslist. Like said good pictures, good description and fair price. Cell phone pictures usually good enough, unless you have some early '00 phone...For those saying getting offers without seeing it. I have given and taken offers without the person seeing it. If it's over an hour or two away, I'm going to make sure the price I want to pay is in the range the seller is looking for. Not going to drive that far knowing a sale is pretty much a done deal. Saying that last night had my first sketchy craigslist encounter. My brother has been looking for a snowmobile. He's not tech savy, so I've been sending him ads I've found for sleds he's looking for. Two days ago we set up to go look at a low mile sled (one year old, last year not much snow). Looked good, guys lives in a big house on a golf course, lots of nice things. We make him an offer but he says no. No big deal, no snow yet and lot of sleds for sale. He text my brother back a couple hours after we leave saying he can have it for his offer, bring cash. No big deal, I always deal in cash. We go last night to pick it up. Load it in my truck and then go in his house to do the "paperwork". I have a standard bill of sale I always print out to sign when I buy/sell. Well the sled is not registered in his name, it even is not registered in the name of the person he said he bought it from. He flat out says "I will not sign the bill of sale". What, you want me to hand over a pile of cash and don't want to say you sold it. Go back and forth a bit and I tell my brother it's up to him but I wouldn't do the deal. We walked out, pulled the sled off my truck (pissed cause it was a pain to get it in with just my brother and I, the guy was on crutches. Get down the road and he calls back saying he will sign it, whatever I'm going home...best part was when the guy said "I live in a $500k house (I know that isn't much in CA, but around here that's pretty nice) and drive a Porsche, you think I stole this thing?" I laughed and said no, but you definitely are putting doubts in my head...
cody331
11/21/2015 1:59pm
If you're on Facebook post it on your AMA district's page. Lots of people doing that up here..
11/21/2015 3:26pm
All you gotta do is say meet at the police station at 1pm in the afternoon.

They will either agree or say yea lemme call you back and never call you back.
gt80rider
11/21/2015 3:38pm
After my last bad experience on CL, I am done with it. Sold a bike in great shape then got call after call about how fucked up it was and how the dude wanted to beat my ass for ripping him off.

From here on out I am just trading in at the dealer.

Post a reply to: Best way to sell a bike?

The Latest