Best way to get your parents to let you get a dirt bike.

BeastlyRider
Edited Date/Time 6/14/2017 12:54pm
Hi, I have been playing sports all my life and have really wanted to do mx
I am 13 years old and would do anything to get a dirt bike
I know what your thinking well there's a lot of reasons parents don't want you getting dirt bikes but in my case it's different. My parents have said they will get me a dirt bike and it would be good concerning me not just playing call of duty all day but the problem is that they don't know about when races are , were I would practice and were are my races, because they don't want to drive me an hour and a half to practice. Also about when races are, as my family being religious we don't do competitions on Sunday and that's the main reason they don't want me getting one.
The deal is that they just don't know and I don't know
Me living in Las Vegas Nevada I don't know if there are any local tracks around because I don't want to drive to Utah for every race.
What would be the best way to handle this, I would do anything to get a dirt bike and do mx!

-Thanks BeastlyRider

Update: So remember my cousins in Idaho? well they decided to move super close to me and i asked my uncle if he would take me riding with his son and he said every time! My dad even said we could buy a dirt bike for me since now i have someone to take me riding! :D
|
cameron96
3/31/2017 9:15am
Get a bike and ride first! Ride with friends and go to tracks and do practice days.

Takes a couple years of riding before you should get into racing.

What kind/size of bike are you thinking about?
BeastlyRider
3/31/2017 9:21am
The Kawasaki 140cc KLX is about the size I want, that didn't really awnser my question "get a bike" how to get a dirt bike is what my question was! And I have ridden dirt bikes at friends house, but the question is how I would get a dirt bike and explain to my parents about were tracks are when races are and if there are even any local tracks around to practice on or do races.
cameron96
3/31/2017 9:22am
The Kawasaki 140cc KLX is about the size I want, that didn't really awnser my question "get a bike" how to get a dirt bike is...
The Kawasaki 140cc KLX is about the size I want, that didn't really awnser my question "get a bike" how to get a dirt bike is what my question was! And I have ridden dirt bikes at friends house, but the question is how I would get a dirt bike and explain to my parents about were tracks are when races are and if there are even any local tracks around to practice on or do races.
Do you have any friends or family that go and ride tracks?
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1338th
3/31/2017 9:25am
It's your lucky day because there is a big race in town this weekend! Get out to The Orleans Hotel tomorrow and watch some WORCS racing! Find families with kids around your age that are racing and go talk to them. You will find a lot of friendly people. Find out who your local off road/ desert clubs are. I'm sure there is one you can join. Be sure to get the "right" bike for yourself, all of your safety gear, and HAVE FUN!

Don't forget their is a bunch of racing in Vegas the first weekend in May. Supercross, Arenacross, in town and Big 6 GP race out at Buffalo Bills

The Shop

Tenacious P
3/31/2017 9:29am
When I was 12 years old I worked an entire summer for my dad re-drywalling and painting our entire house. It was 8 hours per day, mon-sat. At the end of the summer, per agreement, my dad bought me a 1992 RM125 for $1,250.

The point is, when you are a young teenager your hobbies and interests change faster than the seasons. Try and show them that this is something you really want and are willing to work for.

And like @cameron96 said, get a bike and ride first. Find the fun. Racing is not the end-all be-all of dirtbike culture.
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
3/31/2017 9:29am Edited Date/Time 3/31/2017 9:32am
Tracks are far for us, we trek an hour + to ride. I'm more than positive others on here drive even farther to ride and especially to race, I feel like that's just part of it and your parents should know to begin with that's how it works when the sport makes a ton of noise.
Not sure about tracks in your area just thought I'd point that out.

As far as when races are and where, that info is typically found online through the track's site. Sign ups, times, dates, all of that should be on the track's website and it will probably not be extremely cheap to race a local series! Again just part of it.

Make sure they're aware bikes cost a lot of money, to maintain them costs a lot of money, to travel, to ride, to race, it just costs a lot of money. I think it's the most expensive sport under car racing. Most people get their bike from the dealership, some choose Craigslist. I'd expect to get a bike to ride for fun occasionally until you're old enough to ride how/when you want.
Not riding/racing on Sunday totally blows my mind because that goes against our tradition 100%, but there's no need to get into religion here.

I wish you luck in getting started little dude, your parents can come on here and ask questions, too.
Acidreamer
3/31/2017 9:30am
Best thing i can say is go to a dealer and see if they know where some tracks are. your school likely has one of us oddballs into moto who can help. Open practices are usually saturday and sunday afternoons. Church is in the morning so go after. Dont worry about racing because it will take you at least a year of consistent practice to be good enough.
early
Fantasy
2212th
3/31/2017 9:36am
Pretty sure theres some desert land to the North and South of Vegas that you can go ride on. Check riderplanet.com for some riding areas close to town. Dont worry about track time for 6 months -year.
doghouse
3/31/2017 9:37am
When I was 12 years old I worked an entire summer for my dad re-drywalling and painting our entire house. It was 8 hours per day...
When I was 12 years old I worked an entire summer for my dad re-drywalling and painting our entire house. It was 8 hours per day, mon-sat. At the end of the summer, per agreement, my dad bought me a 1992 RM125 for $1,250.

The point is, when you are a young teenager your hobbies and interests change faster than the seasons. Try and show them that this is something you really want and are willing to work for.

And like @cameron96 said, get a bike and ride first. Find the fun. Racing is not the end-all be-all of dirtbike culture.
^^^^^^ This.

Just go ride.
BeastlyRider
3/31/2017 9:54am
The Kawasaki 140cc KLX is about the size I want, that didn't really awnser my question "get a bike" how to get a dirt bike is...
cameron96 wrote:
Do you have any friends or family that go and ride tracks?
Yes I my cousins in Idaho race mx and have dirt bikes, thats were i learned to ride on Smile
BeastlyRider
3/31/2017 9:59am
early wrote:
Pretty sure theres some desert land to the North and South of Vegas that you can go ride on. Check riderplanet.com for some riding areas close...
Pretty sure theres some desert land to the North and South of Vegas that you can go ride on. Check riderplanet.com for some riding areas close to town. Dont worry about track time for 6 months -year.
Yes We have a dry lake bed 15 min from our house that when we used to have dirt bikes(I was 4 or 5) we would go ride there.
BeastlyRider
3/31/2017 10:13am
Thank You Guys for being so kind!!!!
That was me in idaho June 2016
BeastlyRider
3/31/2017 10:22am
MX Guy wrote:
Tracks are far for us, we trek an hour + to ride. I'm more than positive others on here drive even farther to ride and especially...
Tracks are far for us, we trek an hour + to ride. I'm more than positive others on here drive even farther to ride and especially to race, I feel like that's just part of it and your parents should know to begin with that's how it works when the sport makes a ton of noise.

As far as when races are and where, that info is typically found online through the track's site. Sign ups, times, dates, all of that should be on the track's website and it will probably not be extremely cheap to race a local series! Again just part of it.

Make sure they're aware bikes cost a lot of money, to maintain them costs a lot of money, to travel, to ride, to race, it just costs a lot of money. I think it's the most expensive sport under car racing. Most people get their bike from the dealership, some choose Craigslist. I'd expect to get a bike to ride for fun occasionally until you're old enough to ride how/when you want.
Not riding/racing on Sunday totally blows my mind because that goes against our tradition 100%, but there's no need to get into religion here.

I wish you luck in getting started little dude, your parents can come on here and ask questions, too.
One of the perks of my school I go to is that I have Mondays off and since if im doing church related stuff on sunday(some of it) monday could be another day to practice alot since i have no school. Also another thing about sunday my parents think its good to do family related stuff on sunday so if i could get them into moto/side by sides I probably would be able to ride a lot on sunday if its family related fun.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/31/2017 10:29am
Look for BVM111 on here. I believe he is from vegas and can help you out with riding spots and probably which shops to go to and which ones to avoid. I would not worry about racing for a little while. Get a bike and ride. Have fun with it
doghouse
3/31/2017 10:36am
MX Guy wrote:
Tracks are far for us, we trek an hour + to ride. I'm more than positive others on here drive even farther to ride and especially...

If you think motocross is expensive, you should try sailboat racing.
slowgti
3/31/2017 10:44am
Work for it. Mow the lawn, clean your room without arguing, help take the trash out. Keep that up for a couple weeks then talk to your parents, they will be much more receptive if you show them you're willing to work for what you want.

Oh, keep your grades up too!

Good luck, and get ready to be broke buying parts and gas
kaptkaos
3/31/2017 10:51am
You play CoD, so you know how the internet works, do a google search for "motocross AND nevad" you will find everything you need to know there. Link to the tracks websites, they have fees and schedules listed.

You dont have to race to enjoy MX, you can go out and ride and it will be awesome. Most of us do have to drive at least an hour to get to a track or legal riding area, I personally drive 3+ hours.

Make sure you get the gear, and that you only ride in legal places. Dont be a wheelie boy.

Good luck.
WVUpetro2013
3/31/2017 11:03am
If you can find vital then you can certainly do a Google search for tracks in your general area. As someone else stated on here, working to show your interest level is a good way of showing initiative to your parents. My parents provided bikes and paid for racing so long as I was always doing some sort of legitimate work. Just my experience though.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/31/2017 11:47am
You live in Las Vegas?
There is a bunch of open desert all around you. I think you could ride from Sloan to Primm without any problems (except running out of gas.)
There was a motocross track over by Nellis AFB at one time. I'm not sure if it got swallowed up in the NASCAR speedway or not. Way back in 1987 I raced the World Mini at a track down in Henderson on 95. Google Maps shows a track there now in about the same location. There's probably more than few alternatives in a city the size of Vegas that I don't know about as well.....

Good luck!
Rockinar
3/31/2017 12:01pm
Being in Las Vegas I would think there would be endless miles of offroad trails and a track or two.
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
3/31/2017 12:46pm
MX Guy wrote:

doghouse wrote:
If you think motocross is expensive, you should try sailboat racing.
I actually was not talking to you, doghouse, my bad if you thought I was.
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
3/31/2017 12:50pm
MX Guy wrote:

One of the perks of my school I go to is that I have Mondays off and since if im doing church related stuff on sunday(some...
One of the perks of my school I go to is that I have Mondays off and since if im doing church related stuff on sunday(some of it) monday could be another day to practice alot since i have no school. Also another thing about sunday my parents think its good to do family related stuff on sunday so if i could get them into moto/side by sides I probably would be able to ride a lot on sunday if its family related fun.
That sounds like a perk I wish I had in school!!! How cool, on the rare Mondays I've gone riding we pretty much had the track to ourselves.

Definitely tell them that there's nothing you'd rather spend time with them doing than being outdoors together as a family, that should help persuade them. Smile
Fourth_Floor
3/31/2017 1:31pm
Tell them its either motocross or you are going to start using drugs and banging bitches.
r.sal923
3/31/2017 1:38pm
Tell them its either motocross or you are going to start using drugs and banging bitches.
I think this is a G rated conversation
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
3/31/2017 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 3/31/2017 1:43pm
So cool to hear a young kid looking to get into motox! Give him another 5 years and he will be on here talking sh*t with the best of them..Then you can all be proud Wink

wsc96
Fantasy
474th
3/31/2017 1:44pm
Look for a family friendly mini bike club. Maybe one that does gymkhana perhaps. This could be a good way to have the folks see it as a family sport and get onboard. Don't take them to a freestyle event and tell them you want to be into that (even if you do) or even a Supercross as that will likely freak them out.
garagedog
Fantasy
687th
3/31/2017 1:46pm
Do your chores and ask for more. Save your money. If you are lucky, your parents may pay part of it.
Be a responsible trustworthy son.
-earn it
3/31/2017 1:56pm
There are plenty of open desert areas around the outskirts of the city like a few people have mentioned. North of the Speedway is Apex, and out Northwest near Lone Mountain there's plenty of open riding in the mountains behind the houses as well. I'd be cautious when it comes to BLM in some areas, they've been known to give chase a time or two depending on where exactly you are. Boulder City is also a good place with some old tracks out in the hills near the dump. They have, or had, MRAN races out there every year so it has somewhat of a layout to it.
And lastly, south of the city is the huge dry lake bed before State Line which probably has the most open riding areas next to Apex.

I'd recommend staying away from the desert on Nellis' side near the speedway. They don't mess around out there.
You also have Mesquite Mx an hour and a half north that has a main track and I believe mini track still. Not many 'real' tracks out in Vegas anymore unfortunately. But lots of desert.
wildbill
3/31/2017 3:00pm
Take your parents to the SX season ender and get them interested and following as a family. Hopefully no one cartwheels into oblivion in front of them. Wink

Post a reply to: Best way to get your parents to let you get a dirt bike.

The Latest