Best reply to bike sale haggler?

kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
11/29/2016 6:22am
kzizok wrote:
I have a couple of tactitics I use for lowballers, especially the extreme lowballers! Here is how my favorite tactic goes: Lets use $1000 for ease...
I have a couple of tactitics I use for lowballers, especially the extreme lowballers! Here is how my favorite tactic goes:

Lets use $1000 for ease of explanation for the price of whatever it is that I'm selling. The buyer starts out by offering something ridiculous like $400. I then counter with a price of $1100. Buyer is immediatly confused and thinks it's a mistake, so he offers $500. Naturally, I counter with $1200. I will go as long as the buyer does. Although, it usually doesn't go very far and buyer doesn't know what hit 'em. Now they're mad with the confusion, and they turn to the only thing they know what to do, start throwing out expletives before they go away!

It's a pretty efficient way to get them to go away quickly.
mark_swart wrote:
HA!!! I just used that same tactic the other week - I only went up by $50....still haven't heard back. I think he offered me $400...
HA!!! I just used that same tactic the other week - I only went up by $50....still haven't heard back. I think he offered me $400 for an $800 bike...
Its so good. Ive yet to see it not stop them dead in their tracks!
mach6972
11/29/2016 12:22pm
oceantrav wrote:
People low ball because it works on people who need the money. Heck, I sold a crf450 last year for $4100. Couple hours later guy calls...
People low ball because it works on people who need the money.

Heck, I sold a crf450 last year for $4100. Couple hours later guy calls asking if he knows anyone who would want the bike cause his wife's transmission just went out, sent my buddy over there and he got it for $2500. Guy lost $1600 in a few hours cause he was desperate.

I buy a few bikes a month using the low ball method. It works. Shoot off 10 lowball offers and 1 person will need the money that day and accept. Often times they'll say no, then message me a few days later agreeing. Bikes only worth what someone is willing to pay.

I'll take some people low balling me all day over some people trying to rob me
ethically something doesn't seem quit right about that
KID858
11/29/2016 9:43pm
Not me but a friend of mine was selling his yz125 a few years ago on Craigslist for $2,300. Some guy offered him $1,100 cash. My...
Not me but a friend of mine was selling his yz125 a few years ago on Craigslist for $2,300. Some guy offered him $1,100 cash. My friend didn't want to take it but he needed the money to fix his car for work so he accepted it. But before selling it he removed the circlips from the piston,cut up the fork springs and replaced the oil with maple syrup. Not really a craigslist haggler story, but it was good revenge on a scammer in my opinion.
Your opinion sucks. Your friend is piece of shit.
JM485
11/29/2016 10:10pm
Not me but a friend of mine was selling his yz125 a few years ago on Craigslist for $2,300. Some guy offered him $1,100 cash. My...
Not me but a friend of mine was selling his yz125 a few years ago on Craigslist for $2,300. Some guy offered him $1,100 cash. My friend didn't want to take it but he needed the money to fix his car for work so he accepted it. But before selling it he removed the circlips from the piston,cut up the fork springs and replaced the oil with maple syrup. Not really a craigslist haggler story, but it was good revenge on a scammer in my opinion.
KID858 wrote:
Your opinion sucks. Your friend is piece of shit.
I'm 99% sure he's just living up to his user name with that one.

The Shop

Radical
Fantasy
2384th
11/30/2016 1:32am
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Had a dude lowball me, told em tell ya what dude, why don't I give you $100 and you can have it. His reply naturally, sweet...
Had a dude lowball me, told em tell ya what dude, why don't I give you $100 and you can have it. His reply naturally, sweet man! Told em cool, come get it but you gotta let me shoot you in the leg.
cable wrote:
dirtydeeds- i can't stop laughing, i don't know why this is funny, but I'm gonna use this..lmfao
I couldn't stop laughing the other day when I read this.
I read it again and I can't stop laughing again.
That has to absolutely freak them out!

Radical
Fantasy
2384th
11/30/2016 1:36am
FWYT wrote:
Not really a low-ball haggler story but semi related.... I recently sold my trusty, high mileage '94 CBR600 F2. I was asking $1,500.00. Met up with...
Not really a low-ball haggler story but semi related....

I recently sold my trusty, high mileage '94 CBR600 F2. I was asking $1,500.00.
Met up with the potential buyer- 18 year old kid getting his first bike. He had gone
through the motorcycle safety training program, had his learner's permit and had been
saving up. He wanted it really bad but said "I'm a little short, though."

"How much do you have?" I asked.
"$1,464.73."

He had scrounged all the sofas for extra change, borrowed his grandfather's beat up old truck to haul
the bike, built a loading ramp out of scrap 2x4's that morning and stopped at Kragen to
buy a cheap shit set of tie downs.

Fucking A, this kid was cool and determined! I told him to keep the $64.73 and to ride safe.
That's really cool!
JW381
11/30/2016 2:09am
I don't have a ton of lowball stories, but a kid from my high school clung onto me when I was selling my 98 rm125. I was only 16, he was 13 or 14, pip squeak kid. He'd call me everyday, talk about it, talk about racing his 85 and how fast he was. Kept trying to offer me his ps2 and all his games, his BMX bike, his airsoft guns, etc. I mean I get it, you're a kid and you're stoked on trying to get a bike. But this kid was a little crazy.
He brought a friend's dad over who didn't know a thing about 2 strokes, got the 1300 or so from his poor grandma, and bought the bike. Sadly, he seized it the first day he took it to the track. Worst part was my folks and I gave him a ride with us Pinch
He tore into it with his asshole stepdad and found sand everywhere, accused me of knowing it was gonna blow up, said he was gonna kick my ass. I said go for it, never heard from him again.

I actually got got by a low baller once. I was selling my 09 yz250, bit for the wrong reasons. Since I had put it up for sale and subsequently taken it down a time or two, I knew I needed to sell it relatively quick, or I never would. This dude who said he made his living playing poker showed up with 3k cash for an extremely mint 09 yz250, this was in 2011, if memory serves me correctly. Bike was probably worth a full 4k, but the economy was just getting going, and I felt pressured to sell it. So I begrudgingly agree, next thing I know this guy is poker facing me, asking about all these random extra goodies, tires, ramp, oil, some old gear. I have no clue why I threw that shit on, but boy did I learn a valuable lesson
David934
11/30/2016 2:51am
ohh my god
11/30/2016 5:02am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2016 5:02am
That's a BS story
YZ324
11/30/2016 6:54am
I had a recent CL add selling a bike and got a text with a lowball offer and I just replied....

"Reserve not met"

Then it was kid of comical after that. I didn't give a shit if he bought it or not. lol
mach6972
11/30/2016 8:26am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2016 8:27am
when they say,what do you have in it or I know your making money on it,and I say what difference does that make if someone gave it to me or if I paid a million dollars for it's worth what it's worth
ed921reyes
11/30/2016 8:49am
so from reading most of your guys post. you guys all pay listed price on everything? how do you guys approach the seller if you want to buy something? i know i low ball and sometimes offend people because money is better in my pocket then the seller. i try and get the best deal possible/
peelout
11/30/2016 8:51am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2016 8:52am
i had a guy try to offer me $4k for a $9k car. i told him no and he kept going, 5 texts a day. i sent him a picture of my dog's butthole and nuts. never heard back from him.
nickkraze
11/30/2016 8:53am
peelout wrote:
i had a guy try to offer me $4k for a $9k car. i told him no and he kept going, 5 texts a day. i...
i had a guy try to offer me $4k for a $9k car. i told him no and he kept going, 5 texts a day. i sent him a picture of my dog's butthole and nuts. never heard back from him.
hahahahah that'll do the trick.
Colo moto
11/30/2016 11:08am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2016 11:09am
Been trying to sell a truck for $5500 for a while now. Got this offer today and instantly thought of this thread. He went away quicker than I wanted.

Cancerman
11/30/2016 2:30pm
BMR179 wrote:
I had a little time this morning to reply to a scammer. I haven't had any hagglers yet. To timothy piper Message body Tim. Oh man...
I had a little time this morning to reply to a scammer. I haven't had any hagglers yet.

To
timothy piper
Message body
Tim.

Oh man, I gotta be honest. I use a screwdriver as a key, so screwdrivers is cheap. A friend's cousin's brother-in-law, Bubba Spivey from Slocum, has done the service work. I replaced the shifter for the transmission because I broke it with a 6' cheater bar after the bike flew off of Bubba's flatbed while leaving the tractor pull and mud run over at Union Grove. He was over there looking for used tools that folks leave laying around and had to leave real fast when his wife shot a bigfoot (against the law, made the local paper, but they don't know zactly who done it). There is a little rust on the muffler bearing, but there is some stuff you can get at the dollar store or walmart that will take care of it. I ain't real good at the internets, so whatever peepal is is foreign to me. Can you mail the cash to your mover guy and have him pay me? If not, I could send Jbud and Beefcat to El Paso to meet you. Them boys love Juarez, guns, girls & tequila you know. Hell, they would even treat a military man to a night on the town!

That's the real deal right there. If all that aint up to standard, I caint do no more. You gotta remember though, gots to have cash or no deal. Nanakay told me to watch out for folks trying a scam on me (you being military and all, I'd think you lejit). If not, I got lotta redneck boys got my back and like roadtrips.

Let me know if you want the scooter.

To:
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2016 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: 2016 Yamaha YZ450F

Do you have the extra keys , Where did you get your Bike serviced, Have you ever had any transmission repairs and Is there any rust on the Bike? I'm ready to pay your asking price but not cash in person because I am serving in the US army and currently been deploy to Fort Huachuca Military Base, Arizona and calls are restricted at the moment and my only quickest payment option is PayPal, its safe fast and secure and i will be responsible for the PayPal transaction charges so you can get your expected amount. If you don't have an account with PayPal, its pretty easy to open one, Just log onto www.paypal.com and sign up. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? As I am buying the bike for my dad and I'm very sure he will love this Bike, his a mechanic and a handy man, so if there is anything that need to be fixed in it just let me know he will handle it. I have a mover that will come for the pick up once payment clears in your account and he will handle the title for me.I would appreciate if you email me with more pictures (if available) too since i won't be able to see this in person. I look forward to hear from you with the information below.

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:
Firm Price:
Zip code for pickup
Mobile #

Regards,
Tim Piper.
I had the same questions, and it for my dad, I work off shore, can you run a vin report, log on to Paypay, any scratches... must be the same scammer.

Post a reply to: Best reply to bike sale haggler?

The Latest