Best mud race upgrade?

cable
Edited Date/Time 7/1/2015 9:35am
Ill start with auto clutch. Pull into pits and stop and pull on new goggles. Is that AMA PRO legal?
|
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
6/30/2015 6:38pm
the Recluse is legal! I always oil my bike so that the mud will come off easier and i also use foam around the motor and radiators
Gringoe
6/30/2015 6:44pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2015 6:45pm
cable wrote:
Ill start with auto clutch. Pull into pits and stop and pull on new goggles. Is that AMA PRO legal?
Auto clutches= Bad at starts
Most important part of mud races= starts

njracer46
6/30/2015 7:10pm
Gringoe wrote:

I'm gonna disagree. I use to race my dad's husky 450, well before ktm bought them. I forget what rekluse (sp?) my dad had in it but I've never pulled more holeshots on any other bike. Literally almost every moto I raced that year, I pulled the holeshot. Everyone would be sitting waiting for the gate drop clutch in, revved to the moon. The gate drops, they drop the clutch and sit there spinning the rear wheel. While I'm in 3rd, bike at idle, slight hold on the front brake to stop from rolling forward. Gate drops, I ease on the the throttle until I have it pinned. Instant traction and I'm already a few bike lengths in front. Lots of good and bad memories on that bike haha.
cable
6/30/2015 7:14pm
Can you get new goggles?

The Shop

njracer46
6/30/2015 7:18pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2015 7:20pm
cable wrote:
Can you get new goggles?
Yes but you have to pull into the mechanics area, your mechanic can't be holding them out and you ride by slowly to grab them. You actually have to pull in. At least that's what they were saying on the broadcast.
cable
6/30/2015 7:24pm
so if they had a table you could pick them up? lol i don't have an auto clutch, but seems if i wanted to win a mud race, it would be a no brainer.. jeremy martin wouldn't have stalled either.. guess i need to try one to see why not.
plowboy
6/30/2015 7:37pm
I'm old and worn out but here's my advice....unless you are rich or well sponsered...don't even unload the bike. The risk of personal injury is pretty high and the most definate damage to your bike and equipment isn't worth it. While fun to watch...I never enjoyed racing a mudder. Just my .02
wildbill
6/30/2015 8:32pm
Learn how to ride fast comfortably in snow or loose sand.
6/30/2015 8:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2015 8:38pm
Spray oil under fenders and all over engine & pipe.

Safety wire on the grips

A good attitude.
Drtbykr
6/30/2015 8:41pm
Practice, and two teeth up on the rear. Gotta keep the revs up. Fresh oil and Engine Ice would be a good idea too.
Add some compression, it's gonna weigh lots.

Find a place to stick some dry gloves if you fall.
Fat Fingers
7/1/2015 12:07am
cable wrote:
Can you get new goggles?
njracer46 wrote:
Yes but you have to pull into the mechanics area, your mechanic can't be holding them out and you ride by slowly to grab them. You...
Yes but you have to pull into the mechanics area, your mechanic can't be holding them out and you ride by slowly to grab them. You actually have to pull in. At least that's what they were saying on the broadcast.
This is actually really dumb. If a rider can't wear goggles they are risking injury. The rule makers should do everything possible to make for a super fast transition. If a rider could do a goggle change in 4 seconds, it might make for a really interesting addition to the sport especially in a mud race.
HenryA
7/1/2015 12:44am
Getting the holeshot is a good start Silly
Gringoe
7/1/2015 5:32am
Gringoe wrote:

njracer46 wrote:
I'm gonna disagree. I use to race my dad's husky 450, well before ktm bought them. I forget what rekluse (sp?) my dad had in it...
I'm gonna disagree. I use to race my dad's husky 450, well before ktm bought them. I forget what rekluse (sp?) my dad had in it but I've never pulled more holeshots on any other bike. Literally almost every moto I raced that year, I pulled the holeshot. Everyone would be sitting waiting for the gate drop clutch in, revved to the moon. The gate drops, they drop the clutch and sit there spinning the rear wheel. While I'm in 3rd, bike at idle, slight hold on the front brake to stop from rolling forward. Gate drops, I ease on the the throttle until I have it pinned. Instant traction and I'm already a few bike lengths in front. Lots of good and bad memories on that bike haha.
I can't help if they all sucked at starts
montesagold
7/1/2015 5:58am
Chopstix on the grips I heard works good Tongue
I actually used a pencil on the throttle the crease right where my palm and fingers met. Work well in muddy gncc for 3 hours. I'm sure the smaller chopsticks all around would work.
Highsider
7/1/2015 7:53am
plowboy wrote:
I'm old and worn out but here's my advice....unless you are rich or well sponsered...don't even unload the bike. The risk of personal injury is pretty...
I'm old and worn out but here's my advice....unless you are rich or well sponsered...don't even unload the bike. The risk of personal injury is pretty high and the most definate damage to your bike and equipment isn't worth it. While fun to watch...I never enjoyed racing a mudder. Just my .02
In the later seventies, my highest 250A finish was in driving rain, on a clay track, BUT, I agree with plowboy.
7/1/2015 8:04am
Spray cooking oil under fenders and try to land hard from a jump every chance you get to knock mud off bike. Mud equals weight. I like the low rpm approach.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/1/2015 8:08am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2015 8:08am
I'd make sure that the radiators don't get plugged.

Auto clutch? Legal. I'm not sure who you're referencing, though.
FWYT
7/1/2015 8:09am
Hey, while we're on the subject, what's your method(s) of taping tear-offs over the Roll Offs?

Do you trim them so they fit inside the canisters and then use masking tape at the corners onto the lens?
Leave them whole and tape them to the canisters?

And what about Osborne's comment of using silicone? That sounded pretty trick.
BroFoSho
7/1/2015 8:15am
plowboy wrote:
I'm old and worn out but here's my advice....unless you are rich or well sponsered...don't even unload the bike. The risk of personal injury is pretty...
I don't make a living racing so I agree.
Just turn around and go home. I wouldn't be willing to destroy bearings, seals, brakes, and get covered in muck for a plastic trophy.
IWreckALot
7/1/2015 8:49am
The series I race generally starts in January but this year, they cancelled every race until early June because of rain. I talked to the race owner about it and he basically said the same thing you guys are. Not many guys like racing the mud and tearing their stuff up. Might as well wait until it's dryer.
gt80rider
7/1/2015 8:56am
plowboy wrote:
Exact opposite here, mud races are the funnest ever!
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
7/1/2015 9:01am
gt80rider wrote:
Exact opposite here, mud races are the funnest ever!
x1000
nytsmaC
7/1/2015 9:34am
A real, brutal mud fest? Buy a cheap used bike off eBay, leave yours at home, happy and warm in the garage. Race craigslist bike, clean it up and sell it later.

I want my bikes to last, I try to keep them primo so I'd rather not trash them in those conditions if I can help it. Mud races can be fun as long as you're ok with wrecking a lot of parts and gear in one day.
7/1/2015 9:35am Edited Date/Time 7/1/2015 9:36am
I have always wondered my factory teams don't have custom fenders with extensions added or even custom wider fenders. Also a full face tear-off, for the first lap. Boot gaiters or over the boot pants, mud doesn't stick to cloth, like it does the boots.

I added a small extension on the bottom of my front fender. Just that little bit, keeps a lot of mud from packing above my exhaust. You can see the small white plastic extension on the bottom of my fender.

Post a reply to: Best mud race upgrade?

The Latest