Best alternative to chase format (IMO)

moscrop940
Edited Date/Time 5/5/2016 1:07am
Apologies right out of the gate for starting another thread about this, however I honestly believe this is the best alternative I have heard to the chase format.

Also, if this idea has been posted somewhere in an existing thread, I missed it. Lot of posts on it lately.

Instead of having a chase format where consistent riders, such as Dungey, get the shaft, why not add 1 points paying race, each weekend,somewhere in between the 250 LCQ and the main events.

Basically take the 8 riders who qualify out of the 450 heat races, and put them into a 5 lap race that pays a total of 5 points. 3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd.

This would not only motivate the guys to qualify straight out of the heat every weekend (even more so than current), but it would put the stars of the sport out on the track for a longer amount of time. As it has been said, with the shorter lap times, someone like Dungey is only spending an average of 20.8 minutes out on the track.

IMO it will allow consistency to still play a key roll, while putting the top guys on the track together more than once per evening. It's also a change that would, in no way, upset the core fans of the sport, while not confusing any new ones.

I have been debating on posting this, waiting to find the hole/problems with the above idea, but I honestly haven't found a single one.

If anyone has an issue with the above, speak up.
|
Motofinne
5/3/2016 11:49pm
I think it would be a good idea, if not exactly that something similar? Head to head races and superpole races?

That would be a great start to changing the format of SX. Ease into it. A chase is way too radical in my opinion.
5/4/2016 2:46am
This is a better idea. They just need something with a little more excitement. In the end it wouldn't really affect the championship but would make for good racing.
Bultaco
5/4/2016 3:30am
Circle Track Racing for years has had a very similar race call the trophy Dash. Short, intense, with the race leaders. I think it's a good idea to pay a couple points and get it back out.

The Shop

moscrop940
5/4/2016 8:42am
Jimfunn wrote:
Good idea Matthes.
It was actually Thomas Fichter from N-Fabs idea.

Apologies on not adding that into the post, was a little late when I wrote it.

Like I said, best idea I have heard, not best idea Ive come up with
jj welks
5/4/2016 9:33am
I can't stand watching the live broadcast anymore. It's the same thing every week. Some sort of change will be nice.
5/4/2016 10:11am
Get rid of heats, semis and lcq.

Race 1: 1,3,5,...39 in qualifying. 20 laps, full point paid
Race 2: 2,4,6,...,40 in qualifying. 20 laps, full points
Race 3: top 10 from each of race 1 and 2. 20 laps, full points.

And quit grooming the track so much.
Mit12
5/4/2016 10:33am
Why not just eliminate the first 12 rounds and have a 5 round series?
rileymx
5/4/2016 12:47pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2016 12:51pm
I keep thinking that the reason that makes SX races boring are the 450cc bikes, they chave evolved to be too powerfull for stadium tracks...
From all the post i have seen here about lack of excitment of the SX races, nome of them were about the 250 class, and in fact its rare for the 250 titles to not be decided in vegas..
Like in the days of the 2 strokes were the 500 had grown to big for competitive mx\sx racing and the 250 became the prime class, i guess its time to do the same in SX racing...
Put the top prós on the mod 250 and the youngsters on the regionals on stock 250, and i will bet every fan will have fun and excitment watching the SX races again.
Imo of course !!!
Mit12
5/4/2016 1:30pm
If you call this years SX season boring you put way to much in importance in the championship over the racing. People get all caught up in the points that they miss out on the racing. This year was filled with great racing. Changing the points structure will not make the racing any better. It will only reduce the points lead by punishing the best rider for being the best.
peelout
5/4/2016 1:51pm
8 riders and only pay out points to 3 guys?

ha

yeah, no bro. better luck next time though
5/4/2016 2:15pm
How about scratch sx and have outdoors all year-it hasnt become a joke like supercross has yet
chuckie108
5/4/2016 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2016 3:41pm
Want to make the championship more interesting? Whoever is the current championship leader, gets last gate pick that week in the main event. So ever week Dungey is the points leader, he starts far outside in the mains, until someone passes him in points. Then that guy gets last pick and so on. It will never happen, but it would tighten up the points and make a thrilling series. Keep it that way until the last round, or last 3 rounds, and then go back to the current system.
jmx411
5/4/2016 3:47pm
How about everybody just get better and not let Dungey run away with it.
TDeath21
5/4/2016 5:04pm
rileymx wrote:
I keep thinking that the reason that makes SX races boring are the 450cc bikes, they chave evolved to be too powerfull for stadium tracks... From...
I keep thinking that the reason that makes SX races boring are the 450cc bikes, they chave evolved to be too powerfull for stadium tracks...
From all the post i have seen here about lack of excitment of the SX races, nome of them were about the 250 class, and in fact its rare for the 250 titles to not be decided in vegas..
Like in the days of the 2 strokes were the 500 had grown to big for competitive mx\sx racing and the 250 became the prime class, i guess its time to do the same in SX racing...
Put the top prós on the mod 250 and the youngsters on the regionals on stock 250, and i will bet every fan will have fun and excitment watching the SX races again.
Imo of course !!!
There's a couple major reasons the 250 championship isn't decided till Vegas. Shorter series. Inconsistent riders.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/4/2016 5:17pm
I'm not sure why everyone seems to want to reinvent the wheel. I think Supercross is the best TV and live sport in the world. It's not boring at all.

Hey guys, racing is racing. Sometimes you get a really fast guy who blows everyone away. It's not boring to watch that.
5/4/2016 6:01pm
jmx411 wrote:
How about everybody just get better and not let Dungey run away with it.
Best proposal yet
Mit12
5/4/2016 6:05pm
Falcon wrote:
I'm not sure why everyone seems to want to reinvent the wheel. I think Supercross is the best TV and live sport in the world. It's...
I'm not sure why everyone seems to want to reinvent the wheel. I think Supercross is the best TV and live sport in the world. It's not boring at all.

Hey guys, racing is racing. Sometimes you get a really fast guy who blows everyone away. It's not boring to watch that.
We live in a world that wants drama, even if it is fake. FELD welcomes Supercross the reality TV show.
JustMX
5/4/2016 8:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2016 8:24pm
Mit12 wrote:
If you call this years SX season boring you put way to much in importance in the championship over the racing. People get all caught up...
If you call this years SX season boring you put way to much in importance in the championship over the racing. People get all caught up in the points that they miss out on the racing. This year was filled with great racing. Changing the points structure will not make the racing any better. It will only reduce the points lead by punishing the best rider for being the best.
How long have you been following racing?

Yeah, this year has been boring.

Hell, there have been some races that were so mundane the announcers spend huge amounts if time yapping about dungeys podium streak.

A pretty good race between dunge and mm, one good battle between rd and kr, this is what you think is great?
JustMX
5/4/2016 8:48pm Edited Date/Time 5/4/2016 8:49pm
Instead of a chase or dash for cash, how about restructuring the points?

Pay points for heat race finishes, and then invert the start. (heat race winners get last pick for the main. Lcq winner would get first pick for the main).

Paying points in the heats would eliminate the sandbagging that has occurred in the past when an inverted start has been tried.

Pay points in the heats on the current payout, and the multiply the points in the mains by 5 times (125 for a main win, 110 for second, 100 for third, and so on down to 5 for 20th.

Give a 5 point bonus for fast qualifying time. For for leading a lao in the main and a 5 point bonus for passing the most riders in the main.

Finally, laps are set based on the fast qualifying time. Divide that time into 25 minutes to get your laps (ex: Fast time is 50 seconds, 30 lap main) adjustments can be made if bad weather comes in. Just do away with these damn 15 minute mains, and still have a time frame for tv.

Ps. Once a rider goes 2 laps down, instead of getting the blue flag, they get the black flag. They would still get points for their finish but would not interfere with riders coming through the pack or a close race for the win
Mit12
5/4/2016 10:38pm
JustMX wrote:
How long have you been following racing? Yeah, this year has been boring. Hell, there have been some races that were so mundane the announcers spend...
How long have you been following racing?

Yeah, this year has been boring.

Hell, there have been some races that were so mundane the announcers spend huge amounts if time yapping about dungeys podium streak.

A pretty good race between dunge and mm, one good battle between rd and kr, this is what you think is great?
I am 54 years old and i have followed SX from the very first SX race. I have also raced both District 37 and CMC motocross, quite successfully i might add. So you think it is only a good race if their is a battle for the win, all other battles don't matter?
Jimmy_Sloan
5/4/2016 11:00pm
Why not have 17 races with points earned per finishing position, and at the end of 17 races, crown a champion based on the guy who got the most points?

That way the rider who actually gets the most points after 17 rounds gets to be crowned sx champ.

Revolutionary idea, I know.

Starcrossed
5/5/2016 1:07am
Since you asked, the issue I would point out, relates to awarding points in a somewhat haphazard fashion, which results from lopsided heat races, and the brevity of the heat races, and the race you propose. Often, 7 or 8 of the top guys are in the same heat, with only one or two potential winners in the other. Occasionally, the race winner does not qualify thru the heat races. The heat races are too short to produce meaningful results, and your scenario would put more of a premium on starts than already exists. Granted, having only eight guys on the gate will ameliorate that issue, but already top guys would be excluded. We would end up with an "overall" tie on some nights. If something like this were to be implemented, it would make more sense to take the top eight qualifiers.

Post a reply to: Best alternative to chase format (IMO)

The Latest