Best Race Ever?

TDeath21
Edited Date/Time 1/24/2012 4:19pm
I'm sure this topic has been brought up a million times, so I'm going to change it up a bit. What's the best race that you have actually been to and witnessed first hand? Try to describe it so the people reading can get an idea of what it was like, since they might not ever get to actually see it.

96 St Louis Supercross:

This race was an epic 20 lap battle between Jeremy McGrath, Jeff Emig, and Mike Larocco. Emig got into the lead shortly after the start and surprisingly Larocco had a good start as well. McGrath had a bad start and began working his way up. Emig and Larocco started to check out from the field, with Larocco staying right on Emig the entire time. McGrath worked his way up to third and began closing on the two of them. By lap 15, Mcgrath was on them and on lap 17, he made the pass on Larocco. Just when McGrath looked ready to pass Emig for the lead later that lap, Larocco passed McGrath back and began pressuring Emig. On lap 18, Larocco passed Emig for the lead but shortly after, he made a mistake and let both Emig and McGrath back by him. McGrath pressured Emig for the remaining lap and a half, trying everything to get by. Emig held him off for the win, which was the only loss for McGrath that year. The place went crazy because it was an awesome race and Emig, whose hometown is just 3 hours away, won the race.

Final Podium:
1. Jeff Emig
2. Jeremy McGrath
3. Mike Larocco
|
SMITH201
2/22/2011 12:32pm
Budds Creek 07

2 Epic races that day. The 250 2nd moto between Grant, JLaw, and Dungey. We were standing down in the middle at the bottom of Henry Hill and whatever side of the track they were was where the heard of fan moved to. Each time passes were made the crowd went nuts Smile

The RC/James battles in the 450 motos were awesome! 1st moto was when RC's goggle lense popped out. When RC would get close to James and get roosted he would have to back off and he wasnt happy about it. I remember going over to the podium after the race and was right there when he pulled up. RC laid into Paggio from Oakley about the lens! I had not seen RC that pissed since the RC/Ferry indident in SLC back on 02. 2nd moto was another Epic battle with RC winning the moto and he overall. RC was settin James up after Henry Hill every lap Smile
zlowery
2/22/2011 12:50pm
SMITH201 wrote:
Budds Creek 07 2 Epic races that day. The 250 2nd moto between Grant, JLaw, and Dungey. We were standing down in the middle at the...
Budds Creek 07

2 Epic races that day. The 250 2nd moto between Grant, JLaw, and Dungey. We were standing down in the middle at the bottom of Henry Hill and whatever side of the track they were was where the heard of fan moved to. Each time passes were made the crowd went nuts Smile

The RC/James battles in the 450 motos were awesome! 1st moto was when RC's goggle lense popped out. When RC would get close to James and get roosted he would have to back off and he wasnt happy about it. I remember going over to the podium after the race and was right there when he pulled up. RC laid into Paggio from Oakley about the lens! I had not seen RC that pissed since the RC/Ferry indident in SLC back on 02. 2nd moto was another Epic battle with RC winning the moto and he overall. RC was settin James up after Henry Hill every lap Smile
Budds creek 2007 gallery
Got some good pics of that race.

But my vote is for highpoint 06. RC vs Bubba. Two people NEVER went faster outdoors. Even though james wrecked out and it wasnt much of a race after, The time that those 2 battled on the track far surpasses anything i have ever witnessed... But thats just me.
tiddlermx23
2/22/2011 12:55pm
zlowery wrote:
[url=http://www.pbase.com/zlowery/budds2007]Budds creek 2007 gallery[/url] Got some good pics of that race. But my vote is for highpoint 06. RC vs Bubba. Two people NEVER went faster...
Budds creek 2007 gallery
Got some good pics of that race.

But my vote is for highpoint 06. RC vs Bubba. Two people NEVER went faster outdoors. Even though james wrecked out and it wasnt much of a race after, The time that those 2 battled on the track far surpasses anything i have ever witnessed... But thats just me.
That takes my vote as well, Either 06 or 07, both were crazy flat out hauling, most intense action and atmosphere i've ever felt at a dirtbike race! The crowd had the dial on 11 that day!

The Shop

40Plus_922mx
2/22/2011 1:15pm
LA 2010 450 Main
Pontiac 2002 450 Main
Pheonix 2006 Lites
1981 Saddleback
SND
2/22/2011 1:34pm
TDeath21 wrote:
I'm sure this topic has been brought up a million times, so I'm going to change it up a bit. What's the best race that you...
I'm sure this topic has been brought up a million times, so I'm going to change it up a bit. What's the best race that you have actually been to and witnessed first hand? Try to describe it so the people reading can get an idea of what it was like, since they might not ever get to actually see it.

96 St Louis Supercross:

This race was an epic 20 lap battle between Jeremy McGrath, Jeff Emig, and Mike Larocco. Emig got into the lead shortly after the start and surprisingly Larocco had a good start as well. McGrath had a bad start and began working his way up. Emig and Larocco started to check out from the field, with Larocco staying right on Emig the entire time. McGrath worked his way up to third and began closing on the two of them. By lap 15, Mcgrath was on them and on lap 17, he made the pass on Larocco. Just when McGrath looked ready to pass Emig for the lead later that lap, Larocco passed McGrath back and began pressuring Emig. On lap 18, Larocco passed Emig for the lead but shortly after, he made a mistake and let both Emig and McGrath back by him. McGrath pressured Emig for the remaining lap and a half, trying everything to get by. Emig held him off for the win, which was the only loss for McGrath that year. The place went crazy because it was an awesome race and Emig, whose hometown is just 3 hours away, won the race.

Final Podium:
1. Jeff Emig
2. Jeremy McGrath
3. Mike Larocco
NO CONTEST!
1990 Atlanta supercross.
I watched fromt eh Mechanic's area.
6 leaders, tons of drama.
Omara, Bradshaw, Cooper, Kiedrowski, then Cooper, then RJ, then Cooper, then Wardy...INSANE!
Easily and unquestionably the most exciting race I've ever seen.

check for yourself.
http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/member/1990-Atlanta-SX,578/ocscottie,405
jordan414
2/22/2011 2:24pm
2005 Pontiac Sx

Windham got the holeshot and led for almost the whole race... All the top guys (Windham, RC, Stewart, Reed) were up front, then Reed faded, then James fell. Then Reed charged and passed RC and Windham for the win...I don't think I even sat down for the entire 20 laps, I was 12 years old and pretty short and stood in the isle/ stairs the whole time... God I miss supercross coming to the silverdome.
JB 19
2/22/2011 3:38pm
Pontiac 02. RC wadded right in front of us. I will never forget the vision of him jumping the triples and trying rip his broken visor off in the air. Dude was complete kNaR.
LastCall211
2/22/2011 3:57pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2011 3:58pm
Since ATL 90 has already been used, and Anaheim 86 is to obvious, I give you Salt Lake City 2001.
Hank_Thrill
2/22/2011 4:48pm
The best race I have ever seen in real life was Dallas, 2003. Reed and Carmichael had an epic battle for dang near 20 laps. They both raced each other very cleanly, also! I was standing practically the entire time. I've got some photos on my other computer from the race that I might upload.

Post a reply to: Best Race Ever?

The Latest