Best OTD price on a KX450F

R-acer
11/16/2011 8:30pm
I got one in July for $7,300.
wildbill
11/16/2011 10:17pm
davis224 wrote:
Go to your local dealer and see if they will also give you a discount on parts as well. If you can get it OTD for...
Go to your local dealer and see if they will also give you a discount on parts as well. If you can get it OTD for MSRP or less, consider it a good deal. I don't understand how some people will drive way out of their way to save a couple hundred bucks at a dealer they will never go to again for parts/etc.
why would they need parts?

(think deeply)

The Shop

davis224
Fantasy
165th
11/17/2011 5:12am
oil/filter, air filter, chain and sprockets, plastic, handlebars, grips, tires. Unless you shop around on the internet for prices $5 cheaper than the parts guy can go.
nc_mx_kid
11/17/2011 9:18am
jeffro503 wrote:
If any of you guys had ridden the 2011 KX450......what are the major things you noticed ( either better or worse ) than the 2012 model...
If any of you guys had ridden the 2011 KX450......what are the major things you noticed ( either better or worse ) than the 2012 model? I have heard people say they like th 2012 model a lot better.....I just really haven't heard the reason "why". God damn I would really like to take one of those 2012's out for about 15 minutes!
come to NC and I'll let ya take a 2012 for a spin.

I haven't nailed down exactly what ALL I like better about the 2012, I really liked my 2011 also.
mxb2
11/17/2011 10:16am
jeffro503 wrote:
If any of you guys had ridden the 2011 KX450......what are the major things you noticed ( either better or worse ) than the 2012 model...
If any of you guys had ridden the 2011 KX450......what are the major things you noticed ( either better or worse ) than the 2012 model? I have heard people say they like th 2012 model a lot better.....I just really haven't heard the reason "why". God damn I would really like to take one of those 2012's out for about 15 minutes!
nc_mx_kid wrote:
come to NC and I'll let ya take a 2012 for a spin. I haven't nailed down exactly what ALL I like better about the 2012...
come to NC and I'll let ya take a 2012 for a spin.

I haven't nailed down exactly what ALL I like better about the 2012, I really liked my 2011 also.
Much difference between the 11 and the 12 450? power,handling, suspension,quality?
Ryno784
11/17/2011 10:53am
Elbows wrote:
A friend of mine just bought one a few weeks ago. He got it for $7300 OTD. I bought my 09 for $6000 OTD but it...
A friend of mine just bought one a few weeks ago. He got it for $7300 OTD. I bought my 09 for $6000 OTD but it was a left over. It pays to shop around I saved over a grand by just calling different dealers. I wouldn't be to worried about getting a discount on parts. You can order them online and get a discount and have them the next day. My dealer doesn't stock anything I need.
This mentality will be the downfall of even more dealers across the country. Everyone wants a bike at cost but they show no loyalty in return. I'm a bit old school, but I miss the loyalty this sport used to have.

If you travel to get your bike, then buy your parts and accessories online, don't be surprised or upset when your local dealer closes and you have to travel long distances just to SEE the new bikes....It's happening.

I sell my MX bikes at almost cost, and then discount P&A to keep loyalty. What pisses me off is even after doing that you still have a few kids buying online to save $5....

I say try and keep it local, if your local shop doesn't want to deal that's their fault, but give them a shot. Keep in mind that in the last 2 years more than 1/3 of the dealers in this country have closed, thats over 5,000 dealers! Jus sayin.
TeamGreen
11/17/2011 11:00am
Elbows wrote:
A friend of mine just bought one a few weeks ago. He got it for $7300 OTD. I bought my 09 for $6000 OTD but it...
A friend of mine just bought one a few weeks ago. He got it for $7300 OTD. I bought my 09 for $6000 OTD but it was a left over. It pays to shop around I saved over a grand by just calling different dealers. I wouldn't be to worried about getting a discount on parts. You can order them online and get a discount and have them the next day. My dealer doesn't stock anything I need.
Ryno784 wrote:
This mentality will be the downfall of even more dealers across the country. Everyone wants a bike at cost but they show no loyalty in return...
This mentality will be the downfall of even more dealers across the country. Everyone wants a bike at cost but they show no loyalty in return. I'm a bit old school, but I miss the loyalty this sport used to have.

If you travel to get your bike, then buy your parts and accessories online, don't be surprised or upset when your local dealer closes and you have to travel long distances just to SEE the new bikes....It's happening.

I sell my MX bikes at almost cost, and then discount P&A to keep loyalty. What pisses me off is even after doing that you still have a few kids buying online to save $5....

I say try and keep it local, if your local shop doesn't want to deal that's their fault, but give them a shot. Keep in mind that in the last 2 years more than 1/3 of the dealers in this country have closed, thats over 5,000 dealers! Jus sayin.
In all fairness...PLENTY of Dealers have helped fck this up, too. It's not like they have to give things away; but...

When a guy can get it quicker in his mail-box due to the dealer not having it in stock...especially...simple things...CLUTCH PLATES...Plugs, even(!)...Air FIlters...You know...SERVICE ITEMS...well...

Too many dealers don't seem to give a flying-fck, anyomre...

It is a 2 way street.

Then when it's CHEAPER after shipping?

Well, somethings gotta give.

C'est La Vie
mtl
11/17/2011 11:28am
TeamGreen wrote:
In all fairness...PLENTY of Dealers have helped fck this up, too. It's not like they have to give things away; but... When a guy can get...
In all fairness...PLENTY of Dealers have helped fck this up, too. It's not like they have to give things away; but...

When a guy can get it quicker in his mail-box due to the dealer not having it in stock...especially...simple things...CLUTCH PLATES...Plugs, even(!)...Air FIlters...You know...SERVICE ITEMS...well...

It is a 2 way street.

C'est La Vie
No diggity, In the past 4 years I've called local dealers for simple maintenance stuff like piston, rings, gasket for a 1-2 year old bike and they never have it. Why would I waste my time and pay 30% more to wait for it the same amount of time.

Not to mention that I have to give joker behind the parts counter exact part numbers for stuff because he doesnt know shit about motorcycles and will order a clutch cable instead of throttle.

Why bother going to a dealer?
Ryno784
11/17/2011 11:39am
TeamGreen wrote:
In all fairness...PLENTY of Dealers have helped fck this up, too. It's not like they have to give things away; but... When a guy can get...

It is a 2 way street.

C'est La Vie
mtl wrote:
No diggity, In the past 4 years I've called local dealers for simple maintenance stuff like piston, rings, gasket for a 1-2 year old bike and...
No diggity, In the past 4 years I've called local dealers for simple maintenance stuff like piston, rings, gasket for a 1-2 year old bike and they never have it. Why would I waste my time and pay 30% more to wait for it the same amount of time.

Not to mention that I have to give joker behind the parts counter exact part numbers for stuff because he doesnt know shit about motorcycles and will order a clutch cable instead of throttle.

Sounds to me like you two have been going to the wrong dealer.... I understand your complaints, but I stock the filters and levers etc.... Still doesn't seem to matter.

Not on here to whine, but I can say I told you so one of these days. Around me they're still closing, and the more shops that close down the busier I get. The busier I get, the higher my prices are gonna go....That's economics man. Once you have fewer dealers, we all know (as dealers) that we can go up on prices and if I can't make money after the sale on P&A then I'm gonna try and make every dine I can on the hard to find bike I happen to have that you want.

Just thoughts to ponder folks. I agree a dealer has to stock parts and I believe they should be involved more than most, but I still hate the thought of having to drive 2 hours just to look at a new bike....(I guess you can always look at the new bikes online though)
Suns_PSD
11/17/2011 12:05pm
Ryno784 wrote:
This mentality will be the downfall of even more dealers across the country. Everyone wants a bike at cost but they show no loyalty in return...

For the most part I'm with you and I do support my local KTM dealer that does a great job (TJ's in Austin btw). And they really provide me with a service. Technical advise, tips, discounts, phone calls, invites, test rides, allowing me to return things, and many of the parts I need in stock right then and there. Even w/ my discount I pay a slight premium but it's a small fee for the service I get. I also get some help on my bikes, but I pretty much pay what they want for them.

On occasion I do order from elsewhere however. Ordering tires their costs are basically the same as RMATV sells them to me for so what can they do? So even though it pains me to do it I still give out some motorcycle related business elsewhere from time to time.

The thing is about the modern economy is that people just don't have the disposable income that they did 2 decades ago. Not even close. When I shop, go out to eat, order a non-motorcycle item online, I always search for a deal or coupon on-line. I simply couldn't afford to live if I didn't. I can't afford to spend an extra 30% on every non-essential purchase I make, if I did I'd be unable to ride that is for sure.

Most things cost much more since I finished College. Housing, fuel, parts, bikes, medical care, etc... all have doubledor more in cost. All while my income is actually less than it was my first year out of college 12 years ago. That is the reality of modern America and it doesn't appear to be improving anytime soon.
machine
11/20/2011 2:36pm
A couple of you asked for a ride report after I rode the new bike, so here goes......

All I can say is WOW! this is the best ALL AROUND bike i've ever ridden. It's almost an unfair advantage over my KTM 250SX. I was jumping stuff that make me nervous on the 2-stroke with no effort at all. I used a lot less energy and all I had to do was roll on the throttle any time even if I got sloppy i the corners. Great power and suspension box stock. This is the first bike, i'm not going to touch the suspension or springs on and i'm 201lbs right now.

Now for what I didn't like so much......

Cornering is quite a bit slower than the KTM 2-stroke, but I guess that's the trade off. Brakes are not that great. I am used to charging into corners with the Brembos, but I almost killed myself twice today going too hot into the corners and flying over the berms. I think if I get the money, a brake upgrade on the front would make it the perfect bike. The only other complaint is that it doesn't like to carve tight inside lines, it wants to push a little if you push t too hard in a tight corner.

well, that's it, thanks for clicking......... Wink
gharmon
11/20/2011 2:54pm
TeamGreen wrote:

It is a 2 way street.

C'est La Vie
My Honda shop is opposite basically. I pay retail on everything I buy from them. They wont come off a dime on their shit. But the one thing I can get from them, is I can have it no later than the next day for no charge. I buy a lot of "need it now" parts from them.
Electro
11/20/2011 4:12pm Edited Date/Time 11/20/2011 4:13pm
Outsider wrote:
8 grand is too much for an mx bike, 2 or 4 stroke.
machine wrote:
yep. i agree.
mtl wrote:
Whats even worse is that the resale value on bikes is through the floor. Ive seen 2010 250F's in good shape on craigslist for $3800. Considering...
Whats even worse is that the resale value on bikes is through the floor. Ive seen 2010 250F's in good shape on craigslist for $3800. Considering they cost $6800-$7000 OTD in 2010, you lose almost 1/2 its value. OUCH
Those are the ones I buy Tongue and then ride them a couple years, break even or lose just a little then do it again. Done that at least 25 times the last ten to fifteen years for bikes and four wheelers for the fam, and only had one bike I had to do anything semi major to ( the kid stripped the oil drain bolt and I didn.t notice so I had to replace that half of the case) but then the bike was flawless except for routine maint.
Trent179
11/20/2011 5:50pm
mtl wrote:
No diggity, In the past 4 years I've called local dealers for simple maintenance stuff like piston, rings, gasket for a 1-2 year old bike and...

You summed it up well there.
newmann
11/20/2011 6:45pm
Local dealer parts guy in the big new multi story 50,000 sq. ft. building didn't know what reed valves were the other day. Me? Uh, nevermind...click.Angry
mxb2
11/20/2011 6:52pm
newmann wrote:
Local dealer parts guy in the big new multi story 50,000 sq. ft. building didn't know what reed valves were the other day. Me? Uh, nevermind...click.Angry
LOL, good one man, only problem is hard to get good help for $9 hr.
nickm
11/21/2011 10:43am Edited Date/Time 11/21/2011 10:45am
The beauty of the internet is that it's the great equalizer. Why bother dealing with a local dealer when the parts guy gives you attitude, treats you like you're a criminal (I really enjoy walking through the stupid malfunctioning "security gate" and have it beep at me as I walk into the parts area..) all to get to the counter and have some asswipe look at you like you're bugging him, he will more than likely have NO idea about the part that you want, will offer ZERO advice on something better, have no knowledge at all of what the part that he is ordering looks like (let alone offer you insider advice)...the whole while I'll pay 30% more than online and I'll have to go to the dealership twice because they will fuck it up and order the wrong thing.
11/21/2011 11:25am
Why be loyal to a dealer ? Well mine got us a new frame for a year old 85 after it broke, a new top end including the cyclinder on another 85 and a crank and cylinder for a 250 with 20 hrs on it. All warrantied. He's gotten us two different clothing deals for free gear including boots and helmets. He sells me everything at 10% over cost which probably makes it as cheap or cheaper than anything on the internet. Why does he do it? Because i'm a loyal customer. Maybe you should try it.

Post a reply to: Best OTD price on a KX450F

The Latest