"Best" Helmet for Ventilation and Price? - Advice Needed

rikhek
Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 10:47am
I’m a 52 year old vet MX rider in Oklahoma. Riding in the 100+ heat is the norm during the summer months. Home track is Reynard’s and the older I get the more the heat affects me. I’m wondering what helmet you feel provides the most ventilation. I wore a friend’s TLD Air last week and was very impressed with the ventilation. I rode better and longer. However, not a big fan of the fit and feel.

Lots of manufacturer claims and vented helmets available but hard to filter through them all. One brand I’m considering is the Klim F4 but wanted to see if you’d offer some advice on it or the other available offerings before I buy. The AGV AX-8 is another.

Price is also a significant consideration.

Thanks in advance.

Rick
|
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
5/23/2013 10:17am
Rick,
I own a Klim F4 and it is by far the most vented helmet I have ever worn.I also ride in extremely hot weather living in AZ.
Even with the optional "warm" liner it is still pretty vented and can be cold in cooler weather.
The fit for me is fine,my brother likes the fit of his Shoei better but when it gets hot he is wearing the Klim.
Every head is different and fit is important.
Matt
nytsmaC
5/23/2013 11:56am Edited Date/Time 5/23/2013 11:58am
Many of us helmet snobs will only buy Shoei or Arai (maybe add 6D into the mix now?).. If you're one too, Arais are definitely better vented than Shoeis. Can't say if they are the best vented on the market but they have got to be up near the top.

I still prefer Shoei's for the fit, venting is good enough.
5/23/2013 11:59am
I have the new Scorpion VX-R70 helmet that was recently released and I am very pleased with it. Super light weight, great ventilation, and very comfortable. Even has the air fit liner inflation system for a customized fit.

Check them out at www.scorpionusa.com. Great price point as well. $250-270.

The Shop

Deetsmx
5/23/2013 12:19pm
I have the new Scorpion VX-R70 helmet that was recently released and I am very pleased with it. Super light weight, great ventilation, and very comfortable...
I have the new Scorpion VX-R70 helmet that was recently released and I am very pleased with it. Super light weight, great ventilation, and very comfortable. Even has the air fit liner inflation system for a customized fit.

Check them out at www.scorpionusa.com. Great price point as well. $250-270.
I just bought that same helmet but haven't ridden with it yet. Fit is really good though. I had the vx-34 and liked that one as well, fit and venting was good, but the 70 is even better as far as fit. Just wanted a dual density helmet so I bought the 70 a few weeks back and getting it painted as we speak. Prior to that I had an SE2 which I liked but didn't seem to vent nearly as well.
davidgrip
5/23/2013 8:07pm
Scorpion VX 34. Great Fit, Ventilation, Light Weight. Amazing Value.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
5/23/2013 8:30pm
A few weeks ago I bought a Shoei VXF-W.

I have only used it a few hours but so far the ventilation seems great. What amazes me is the comfort level. Before this I had a 5 year old Troy Lee helmet and the comfort between the 2 was not even close.

Saw those for $500 plus at the shops locally. Found mine on Ebay from a shop back East for $370 ....no tax or delivery
5/23/2013 8:40pm
Deetsmx wrote:
I just bought that same helmet but haven't ridden with it yet. Fit is really good though. I had the vx-34 and liked that one as...
I just bought that same helmet but haven't ridden with it yet. Fit is really good though. I had the vx-34 and liked that one as well, fit and venting was good, but the 70 is even better as far as fit. Just wanted a dual density helmet so I bought the 70 a few weeks back and getting it painted as we speak. Prior to that I had an SE2 which I liked but didn't seem to vent nearly as well.
I have a couple of the VX-34's as well. I loved them. Made the switch to the VX-R70 and as I said, very pleased. I thought the VX-34's were light weight, but the VX-R70's are even lighter. Awesome helmets for sure. I definitely recommend the VX-34 or the VX-R70's to anyone and everyone. Scorpion has great products.
E-man811
5/23/2013 9:01pm
Klim F4. Most ventilated helmet out there. Snell 2010 and reasonably priced.
EddieC
5/23/2013 9:16pm
Airoh Aviator. Mike Brown brought this helmet through tech a number of years ago and I couldn't believe it was a moto helmet. It is ridiculously light. Ventilation? When wearing the helmet you can see your scalp through the vents on top of the helmet. They are so big that they come with covers to keep your head warm in the winter time. The helmet also comes with different attachments for the visor to accommodate different weather conditions. Safety? Looking at the inside of the helmet you would think you were looking at a rutted face of a triple. The helmet is designed to absorb impact through destruction. The fit is great although some might find the chinbar a bit close for comfort. A read a press release that you can purchase these through Leo Vince. I have had the good fortune of being able to wear a lot of helmets and find Bell, Shoei, Arai to tops in comfort but if your looking for comfort and ventilation Airoh smokes them all.

rikhek
5/24/2013 5:38pm
A friend has the Airoh pictured above. I put it on in and didn't like the fit. The chin bar basically rode on my chin. Also it squeezed your face and made you look and feel like a rodent with full cheeks.

Ventilation looked like it would be great due to the large vents in the top.

Cheapest place to buy them is out of the UK. There are 2 sites I find with a good selection and pricing. The fit just didn't cut it for me thou.

FWIW my friend who uses TLD Air helmets tried it on and felt the same as I about the chinbar and the squeezing of the cheeks.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
5/24/2013 6:08pm
I have had Arai, Shoei, TLD, and now I have the Fox V4. The best ventilated is the V4.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/24/2013 6:09pm
I haven't had the opportunity to ride in much else lately, but my Arai vents awesomely. It whistles at speed when I turn my head to the side.
petie11o5
5/24/2013 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/24/2013 6:33pm
If you are looking to purchase a helmet specifically for its ventilation then I would NOT buy the Shoei. The Shoei is an all around excellent helmet but the ventilation is not amazing. Good, yes, but I highly doubt it is the best in that department. I am 22 years old with a good heat tolerance and I get pretty hot in the Shoei riding in Ohio's 85-90 degree heat with a good amount of humidity.
CamP
5/25/2013 12:55am Edited Date/Time 5/25/2013 12:59am
EddieC wrote:
Airoh Aviator. Mike Brown brought this helmet through tech a number of years ago and I couldn't believe it was a moto helmet. It is ridiculously...
Airoh Aviator. Mike Brown brought this helmet through tech a number of years ago and I couldn't believe it was a moto helmet. It is ridiculously light. Ventilation? When wearing the helmet you can see your scalp through the vents on top of the helmet. They are so big that they come with covers to keep your head warm in the winter time. The helmet also comes with different attachments for the visor to accommodate different weather conditions. Safety? Looking at the inside of the helmet you would think you were looking at a rutted face of a triple. The helmet is designed to absorb impact through destruction. The fit is great although some might find the chinbar a bit close for comfort. A read a press release that you can purchase these through Leo Vince. I have had the good fortune of being able to wear a lot of helmets and find Bell, Shoei, Arai to tops in comfort but if your looking for comfort and ventilation Airoh smokes them all.

That's the helmet that I've been wearing for the last few months. Your description is spot-on. The only thing I would add is the fit favors an oval head. If you have a round head, it may not be the best choice. I found a shop in Italy that sent it to me in 3 days for under $500.
5/25/2013 3:48am
I have an Arai and got the chance to try a Klim. The ventilation is simply incredible. I rode in 100+ degrees and humid weather and when I came off the track my head was cool and dry. If I were looking for the most vented helmet tha is what I would get, no hesitation.
reagan
5/25/2013 4:55am
Cant go wrong with a shoei
rikhek
6/3/2013 11:25am
I pulled the trigger on a Klim F4. Rode with it yesterday and am very impressed. The ventilation is fantastic. Better than a TLD Air. The quality, finish, engineering and attention to detail are impressive. I wasn't sure if I'd care for the cosmetics of the louvers on top but they look excellent. Better than in the pictures. Amazing helmet. I'm a convert.

Rick
TeamGreen
6/3/2013 12:00pm
TLD Air is a lot of helmet for the price.
Titan1
6/3/2013 12:26pm
I just purchased the Klim F4...great ventilation on a great helmet.
Mr. Info
6/3/2013 4:04pm
Suomy is the best ventilation and lightest and for short to long moto's to keep the weight of the neck because as you tire your heads bounces around. Try one for one moto and then your for the second and you will never go back. I got one of the first in Southern Cal and I have probably help sell 10 to 20 more after they feel the weight alone. But its your head do what works for you.
Roscoe33
7/20/2014 6:58am
Titan1 wrote:
I just purchased the Klim F4...great ventilation on a great helmet.
Klim has the most air flow.
bigborefan
7/20/2014 10:39am
KLIM F4. It flows a ton of air. You'll need ear plugs with it since it flows so much air.
Brtp4
7/20/2014 10:47am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 10:49am
OP, of the helmets listed thus far, I have ridden in:

Suomy MX Jump
Scorpion VX-R70
Scorpion VX-34
Thor Verge
Shoei VFX-W
Arai VX-Pro3
Airoh Stelt
Klim F4

And a few others. Like you, I am an out of shape vet, and run hot, so ventilation is a key detail. The Arai, Shoei, and Scorpions are nice helmets, but were comparatively hot. Switching back and forth with some other models, they were noticeably warmer.

By far, by a wide margin, the best venting helmet I have found is the Klim. They finally have some halfway current graphics:

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Klim-F4-Helmet-ECE_p_1488.html

The reason is obvious, the vents are large and face forward.

My next favorite overall was the Suomy, and it vented quite well also. On a more subjective level, it felt great. I love the styling of the Airohs, but I prefer the Suomy.

The Thor Verge was fairly cool also, because the eyeport opening was huge, and a lot of air enters the front.

Hope that helps.

BP

Post a reply to: "Best" Helmet for Ventilation and Price? - Advice Needed

The Latest