Best GP to go to from Denmark?

dirtnasty
Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 6:24am
Hey guys,

Im a student from the US living in Denmark right now, need some advice/recommendations on which GP would be the best for me to go to.

I'm trying to stay in Northern Europe so UK, Holland, Sweden.... but I don't want to go to a poor track and things to do around the track are important. Ease of access from DK is important.

Any input is appreciated Smile
|
ayearinmx
2/19/2015 1:13am
Assen (NED) or Uddevalla (Sweden) will be your two closest..... depending on where in DK you are

out of those two I'd pick Uddevalla simply because Assen is unknown really and being created at a road-racing circuit. I'd also look at Teutschenthal in Germany for a bit of a longer drive.

However, for the best time and because it is the first one on the calendar (more chance to see Cairoli vs RV).... I'd go to Valkenswaard, stay in Eindhoven for the weekend... you could even pop back through Amsterdam if the mood took you
DeStouwer
2/19/2015 1:20am
Valkenswaard in the Netherlands is not the most spectacular track, but the people are nice there and you can visit cities like Eindhoven.

If you stay in the UK I can recommend you Matterley Basin, very nice track (for the riders and the spectators) with big jumps. Not too far from Winchester and Southampton.

From Copenhagen to the German GP in Teutschenthal is around 600km (about 375 miles) if you are willingly to take a ferry.

Probably the Swedish GP in Uddevalla is the closest to Denmark. Not so far from Uddevalla you've got cities like Göteborg and Trollhättan.

Bottom line, if you want to visit a GP I recommend the French, British or Italian ones. Great atmosphere and mostly the tracks are awesome.
dirtnasty
2/19/2015 3:32am
DeStouwer wrote:
Valkenswaard in the Netherlands is not the most spectacular track, but the people are nice there and you can visit cities like Eindhoven. If you stay...
Valkenswaard in the Netherlands is not the most spectacular track, but the people are nice there and you can visit cities like Eindhoven.

If you stay in the UK I can recommend you Matterley Basin, very nice track (for the riders and the spectators) with big jumps. Not too far from Winchester and Southampton.

From Copenhagen to the German GP in Teutschenthal is around 600km (about 375 miles) if you are willingly to take a ferry.

Probably the Swedish GP in Uddevalla is the closest to Denmark. Not so far from Uddevalla you've got cities like Göteborg and Trollhättan.

Bottom line, if you want to visit a GP I recommend the French, British or Italian ones. Great atmosphere and mostly the tracks are awesome.
I've actually been to Valkenswaard in 2012. Good time but yes not the best for spectators. The timing is nice with my school schedule but I think I want to experience a new track as well.

I'm not in a car so I'd be either hitching a ride with a friendly person or train. Makes Uddevalla attractive but its the day after the big Danish music festival (Roskilde) so I don't know if I'll be recovered enough to make it.

I've heard Lommel is pretty poor for spectators? Would love the beer trip though too.

Teutschenthal is a pretty lengthy train ride, maybe with cheap flight tickets to Berlin...
MCR
2/19/2015 3:50am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2015 3:51am
Lommel is pretty poor. I should pick Valkenswaard over Lommel. Assen is a new one, and nobody know really about what is gonna happend right there. The promotor is someone that have a few more big events under his belt around 80.000 people/fans. Might be a good one..

Teutschenthal is Always pretty cool. Uddevalla never been.

If i was you i was forsure going to Valkenswaard! European Championship 125, MX2 and 250 2strokes! And... Herlings owning the sand and the first sand race of Cairoli VS Villopoto!! You not wanna miss that race!!

Real cool GP's you should go to France or Italy. Fans are crazy!!

The Shop

Vanilla
2/19/2015 3:59am
I expect Assen to suck. Don't like the track design and i want to be right next to the track, not in 16th row in the stands. Valkenswaard is always great.
DeStouwer
2/19/2015 4:07am
Lommel is just a bunch of sand on an industrial terrain, nothing more. Wish the days of Namur, Neeroeteren, Kester etc came back.
jamma10
2/19/2015 4:10am
Vanilla wrote:
I expect Assen to suck. Don't like the track design and i want to be right next to the track, not in 16th row in the...
I expect Assen to suck. Don't like the track design and i want to be right next to the track, not in 16th row in the stands. Valkenswaard is always great.
Hmmm, just checked it out myself. looks dissapointing. You would think they would have learn't their lesson from that Lausitzring track a few years ago?

Jefro98
2/19/2015 4:15am
If you are in for a proper beertent party on Saturday night I suggest Teutschenthal.
Uddevalla has a good beer tent party too. Bit too much security but hey, it's Sweden. Those guys are crazy.
Jefro98
2/19/2015 4:20am
Vanilla wrote:
I expect Assen to suck. Don't like the track design and i want to be right next to the track, not in 16th row in the...
jamma10 wrote:
Hmmm, just checked it out myself. looks dissapointing. You would think they would have learn't their lesson from that Lausitzring track a few years ago? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/19/80892/s1200_Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_12.09.01.jpg[/img]
Hmmm, just checked it out myself. looks dissapointing. You would think they would have learn't their lesson from that Lausitzring track a few years ago?

On the other hand, the 2009 MXdN at Franciacorta, Italy was at a road race circuit too and that turned out pretty awesome.
Let's just wait what they come up with.
DeStouwer
2/19/2015 4:27am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2015 4:30am
Vanilla wrote:
jamma10 wrote:
Hmmm, just checked it out myself. looks dissapointing. You would think they would have learn't their lesson from that Lausitzring track a few years ago? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/19/80892/s1200_Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_12.09.01.jpg[/img]

Jefro98 wrote:
On the other hand, the 2009 MXdN at Franciacorta, Italy was at a road race circuit too and that turned out pretty awesome. Let's just wait...
On the other hand, the 2009 MXdN at Franciacorta, Italy was at a road race circuit too and that turned out pretty awesome.
Let's just wait what they come up with.
I really liked Rhenen in the 90s when the GP 500cc was ridden there. I remember the battle between Smets and Parker in 1995. Very hot day also, riders were exhausted at the end.

Francorchamps and Zolder in Belgium were also on a road race circuit and those tracks were pretty okay. But if such tracks are becoming the base of the World Championship, they can cancel the entire series for me.
ayearinmx
2/19/2015 4:59am
DeStouwer wrote:
I really liked Rhenen in the 90s when the GP 500cc was ridden there. I remember the battle between Smets and Parker in 1995. Very hot...
I really liked Rhenen in the 90s when the GP 500cc was ridden there. I remember the battle between Smets and Parker in 1995. Very hot day also, riders were exhausted at the end.

Francorchamps and Zolder in Belgium were also on a road race circuit and those tracks were pretty okay. But if such tracks are becoming the base of the World Championship, they can cancel the entire series for me.
3 (Qatar, Thailand and Assen) out 18 isn't too bad... and we don't actually know how the Thai and Assen races are going to turn out as they are brand new track

looking down the list there really are going to be some cracking events and I can't wait for Arco with the Italian crowd!!
jamma10
2/19/2015 5:08am
DeStouwer wrote:
I really liked Rhenen in the 90s when the GP 500cc was ridden there. I remember the battle between Smets and Parker in 1995. Very hot...

ayearinmx wrote:
3 (Qatar, Thailand and Assen) out 18 isn't too bad... and we don't actually know how the Thai and Assen races are going to turn out...
3 (Qatar, Thailand and Assen) out 18 isn't too bad... and we don't actually know how the Thai and Assen races are going to turn out as they are brand new track

looking down the list there really are going to be some cracking events and I can't wait for Arco with the Italian crowd!!
Did you see these pictures of the Argentina track being built? Looks like it should be pretty good...

http://www.crossprensa.com.ar/news/?p=8541
http://www.crossprensa.com.ar/news/?p=8388
http://www.crossprensa.com.ar/news/?p=8247
Bearuno
2/19/2015 5:29am
dirtnasty wrote:
Hey guys, Im a student from the US living in Denmark right now, need some advice/recommendations on which GP would be the best for me to...
Hey guys,

Im a student from the US living in Denmark right now, need some advice/recommendations on which GP would be the best for me to go to.

I'm trying to stay in Northern Europe so UK, Holland, Sweden.... but I don't want to go to a poor track and things to do around the track are important. Ease of access from DK is important.

Any input is appreciated Smile
Your a Student, and you are in Europe, and, you are into Motocross, more than just a little bit?

I urge you to go to every damned one of the GPs you can get to.It, Supposedly, this will be the one year RV will be going for a World Motocross Championship. That, in and of itself, should appeal to an American student that has even a slight interest in Motocross.

Unless you are a city boy,that hasn't traveled / is to scared to travel , distances in Europe are piddly, and the rail (and Ferry)network is amazing - and, as a student, you should have access to the cheapest rail ticketing. Plus all sorts of accommodation schemes

Any of the tracks that are within easy rail distance will be worthwhile to go to - as will be the area they are in. Yes, Lommel is in an industrial estate, and has the elevation of an anthill, but it is The Most Amazing Race. It's vicious, and the atmosphere is incredible. Every bloody one of the GPs are that - Incredible.

It may be your one big, and relatively easy chance to see this. It will be something to treasure for the rest of your life, and you will get to see Europe, in a far better, more interesting way than most 'tourists' will ever do.

F**k some bloody music festival, and or any number of them. They, are a dime a dozen, in comparison to the GPs, especially this year, for you Americans.
Jimfunn
2/19/2015 6:21am
I'm planning on getting to Valkenswaard and matterley...maybe squeeze another in if I get chance!
DeStouwer
2/19/2015 6:26am
DeStouwer wrote:

ayearinmx wrote:
3 (Qatar, Thailand and Assen) out 18 isn't too bad... and we don't actually know how the Thai and Assen races are going to turn out...

jamma10 wrote:
Did you see these pictures of the Argentina track being built? Looks like it should be pretty good...

Argentina seems a pretty artificial track to me... but we'll see how that turns out.

The problem with the YS-trackbuilders is they can't leave a single straight or turn for what it is. Every section must be stacked with whoops, bumps, rythm sections, prepared lines etc. MX doesn't need that. The terrain deforms itself.

All in all, very happy to see that Villars-sous-Écot has returned from the 90s and that Maggiora, Arco, Talavera, Teutschenthal, Loket and Matterley remain. Add Sevlievo and Agueda in place of Qatar and Assen and the calendar is almost perfect.
Olson
2/19/2015 6:27am
I assume you're located in Copenhagen or maybe Odense. Uddevalla is pretty easy to access from Copenhagen. Just catch the ferry over Öresund and a couple of hours drive. Always a lot of people in Uddevalla during the GP. Good spectating, can see the full track from one point. The track itself kind of suck though and nothing much happens in Uddevalla except for the GP but you can go by Gothenburg on your way back and look around, a lot more stuff to do around there.
jamma10
2/19/2015 6:45am
More pictures of the Argentinian track just released today...

jamma10
2/19/2015 6:51am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2015 7:02am
ayearinmx wrote:

jamma10 wrote:

DeStouwer wrote:
Argentina seems a pretty artificial track to me... but we'll see how that turns out. The problem with the YS-trackbuilders is they can't leave a single...
Argentina seems a pretty artificial track to me... but we'll see how that turns out.

The problem with the YS-trackbuilders is they can't leave a single straight or turn for what it is. Every section must be stacked with whoops, bumps, rythm sections, prepared lines etc. MX doesn't need that. The terrain deforms itself.

All in all, very happy to see that Villars-sous-Écot has returned from the 90s and that Maggiora, Arco, Talavera, Teutschenthal, Loket and Matterley remain. Add Sevlievo and Agueda in place of Qatar and Assen and the calendar is almost perfect.
I agree with you about the way tracks are often built with the same obstacles these days. it's a pet hate of mine also but it seems to be the case for all tracks all over the world. The jumps, rollers etc, it's all become very generic in design. You point out Matterly as an example of a track you like but that is 100% purposely built and includes all the generic obstacles from the Youthstream handbook. Im not a big fan of Matterly myself, the viewing is good but I think it could do with a redesign.

This track in Argentina seems to make use of some natural features too though, and the soil looks good so the more manicured sections should break down nicely.

This section looks especially cool to me:

I presume this is the landing the other side...

Olson
2/19/2015 6:52am
Looks very soft. Typical coniferous forest with cold winters = sand.
AB#81
2/19/2015 2:04pm
to me one of the best GPs in europe to attend is Matterly, not exactly the best track but always a great weekend, great atmosphere, nearly everyone speaking english, great viewing, can see 99% of the track from some viewing spots which is a huge plus in my eyes, as someone said though a restyle would be nice, getting bored of the same layout and obstacles. some other european tracks like valksenwaard leirop etc I've been to arnt great for spectating, you see one section, waiting 2minutes for the leaders each time to see them for 10secs, wondering how the passes and lead changes happened.

Argentina track looks awesome in my opinion, really wide and fast, with spectacular jumps also
DonM
2/19/2015 4:06pm
jamma10 wrote:
More pictures of the Argentinian track just released today... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/19/80900/s1200_Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_14.42.07.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/19/80901/s1200_Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_14.42.14.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/19/80902/s1200_Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_14.42.33.jpg[/img]

Looks pretty cool! The other pics were the ones I saw earlier. I see it has the "GP rollers" that every track seems to have.
dirtnasty
2/20/2015 1:40am
Bearuno wrote:
Your a Student, and you are in Europe, and, you are into Motocross, more than just a little bit? I urge you to go to every...
Your a Student, and you are in Europe, and, you are into Motocross, more than just a little bit?

I urge you to go to every damned one of the GPs you can get to.It, Supposedly, this will be the one year RV will be going for a World Motocross Championship. That, in and of itself, should appeal to an American student that has even a slight interest in Motocross.

Unless you are a city boy,that hasn't traveled / is to scared to travel , distances in Europe are piddly, and the rail (and Ferry)network is amazing - and, as a student, you should have access to the cheapest rail ticketing. Plus all sorts of accommodation schemes

Any of the tracks that are within easy rail distance will be worthwhile to go to - as will be the area they are in. Yes, Lommel is in an industrial estate, and has the elevation of an anthill, but it is The Most Amazing Race. It's vicious, and the atmosphere is incredible. Every bloody one of the GPs are that - Incredible.

It may be your one big, and relatively easy chance to see this. It will be something to treasure for the rest of your life, and you will get to see Europe, in a far better, more interesting way than most 'tourists' will ever do.

F**k some bloody music festival, and or any number of them. They, are a dime a dozen, in comparison to the GPs, especially this year, for you Americans.
Despite the Euro's losses to the dollar, I still am pretty limited by finances and time constraints. I would love to hit them all but not gonna happen.

Olson, yes Copenhagen, the days of the Øresund ferry are done now with the train & bridge Wink but it seems pretty easy to get to the track via rail.

Thanks for the tips guys, i might resurrect this thread at a later point if I have some more questions.

Sunhouse
2/20/2015 1:59am
jamma10 wrote:
More pictures of the Argentinian track just released today... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/19/80900/s1200_Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_14.42.07.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/19/80901/s1200_Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_14.42.14.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/19/80902/s1200_Screen_Shot_2015_02_19_at_14.42.33.jpg[/img]

If you just posted the track without telling it is from Argentina, I would have guessed it was a US track. If anything it reminds me of Matchams Park - why was that track removed, it was the best of 05.
jamma10
2/20/2015 2:08am Edited Date/Time 2/20/2015 2:13am
Yes it is a lot like Matchams actually!

Unfortunately that place was closed down thanks to noise complaints by local residents... it's ridiculous. The motocross track was part of a kind of motorsport theme park, with stock car and go-kart tracks. It's got lots of hardstanding paddock areas, it's situated right next to a busy dual carriageway. The place is a bit rundown now but it couldn't be more perfect in terms of set up... but the nimbys got their way as usual. You've got this great facility in the middle of nowhere just sort of wasting away. Think they have car boot sales and shit like that there these days.
dirtnasty
3/5/2015 4:57am
What can one expect from camping at the GP's, Valkenswaard specifically?

Would be less trouble than staying in Eindhoven and commuting to the races, but then would it be a fun experience out there as well?
jamma10
3/5/2015 5:04am
Noise, beer, chainsaws, fires, drunken Dutch people with strange outfits, not much sleep...
DeStouwer
3/5/2015 6:04am
Campings at French GP's are absolutely insane. Some people come over with car engines on a wooden plate, just to produce as much noise as possible. What if the oil in the engine runs out? Just add some wodka, that'll work. Some of them only come over to party and don't watch the races. You'll laugh your ass off, but won't get much sleep.
jamma10
3/5/2015 6:24am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2015 6:33am
WARNING: contains terrible music.

This is where the MXdN is being helf in September.

Post a reply to: Best GP to go to from Denmark?

The Latest