Best/Fastest way to wash your bike

McLellanMX66
Fantasy
919th
Edited Date/Time 9/16/2017 6:49pm
Hi Vital Members,

What is the most efficient way to wash a bike? I have been always using dish soap and a hose to clean my bike. It does the job but it seems like it doesn't get everything off. I don't want to spend hours cleaning my bike , but I do want it to look good the next time I go to the track. I see people at the track bringing their pressure washer and was wondering if that gets all the dirt off. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
|
TX_187
10/27/2015 9:00am
I use Motul Moto wash in the spray bottle and it does a really good job. Strong enough to get all the dirt stains off, but not too strong like a simple green that will etch your aluminum. I spray my bike with the water hose, then hit it with the moto wash and let it sit for a minute or two. Rinse it off and it looks really good. Even gives the tires a nice clean look. Follow up with some Maxima SC1 to really make her shine.
Grizz
10/27/2015 9:08am
Don't use a pressure washer when you don't have too. That's how you make a new bike look and feel old fast.
Uncle Tony
10/27/2015 9:14am
MR.CLEAN in a spray bottle spray on let sit for 5 min rinse

The Shop

mxtech1
10/27/2015 10:13am
The best time to clean a bike is before all of the mud dries and becomes hard.

If you have the ability and finances to invest in a water tank and lower-pressure pressure washer do it. As soon as you come of the track, wash the bike. You will be surprised how easily the mud comes off when it's wet.

The only downside to this is you would probably also want an air tank so you can blow-dry after each wash at the track.
Andrew337
10/27/2015 10:22am

These are pretty handy for cleaning up at the track.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/27/2015 10:28am
A garden hose, a wash mit and a bucket of tide with bleach and water. It may not be as fast as a pressure washer but my bikes look ten times better than any of my buddies who use a pressure washer. Minus a few scratches our 05 KX250 and KX250F still look brand new after 10 years and 200+ hours on both. And yes still stock plastic
10/27/2015 10:44am
By the time I get home from the track all the mud is hard as a rock because the closest track to me is 45 mins away, so the method I use works pretty good. I usually just bust out the hose, set it to the jet/hard/full mode and blast off all the big stuff. Then I spray the bike with scrubbing bubbles foam stuff (you can get it in a 4 pack at Costco for like $10). Depending on how much mud and dirt is still on it after i get the big stuff off it and spray it, sometimes ill take a brush to it (hardish plastic bristles), a toothbrush for the small and tight spots and scrub the engine, forks, swingarm, and then hose off. It comes out really clean each time.

Or you could do it like a guy I know, and after each round/weekend, wash it like normal, tear the bike down after, and clean everything real good. Takes quite awhile, but it comes out looking new each time.
10/27/2015 10:46am
The trick is to use a pH neutral cleaner. Go to the cleaner aisle in home depot. There is one called "Zep" and it says neutral right on the bottle. It's made to clean the dirt off floors without stripping the wax. It's basicaly what all these expensive motowash products are.

for stubborn greasy areas like the counter shaft sprocket, spray the whole area with WD40 and let it set. then rinse. Dont get it on your plastics or anywhere near your brakes.

oh, and i dont care what anyone says. Simple Green is for people who hate motorcycles. Or factory teams for in-between motos who throw everything away on monday.
Hut
10/27/2015 11:00am
I have always used dish soap and a few different brushes and scotch-brite sponges on frame with a garden hose. Then a good coating of lemon pledge to give a shine and help keep the mud from sticking. Works ok I guess.

Uncle Tony
10/27/2015 11:17am
I love lemon pledge makes the plastic look nice and is cheaper then SC-1
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
10/27/2015 11:24am
Grizz wrote:
Don't use a pressure washer when you don't have too. That's how you make a new bike look and feel old fast.
Disagree, you have to know how to use one. If used correctly you are fine.
bvm111
10/27/2015 11:33am
Grizz wrote:
mx510 wrote:
Disagree, you have to know how to use one. If used correctly you are fine.
X2!

1. Hose bike down to ensure the cakes on mud loosens.
2. Degreaser or WD40 the chain and sprocket areas... Let soak for 5 minutes.
3. Preasure wash the shit out of the bike without directing preasure at bearings... But i blast my chain good and clean.
4. Spray entire bike with any bike wash you like
5. Rinse off with preasure washer
6. Hit chain with WD40 to disperse water out of links
7. Towel dry
8. Lemmon pledge or SC1 or Motul bike shine

Done....15-20 minutes!

During the week when i have time i do the airfilter and pull side panels, radiator shrouds and maybe the tank and detail.

My bike looks great, almost new everytime i ride and never have an issue with bearings or chain due to preasure washer.... Ever!
mjr119
10/27/2015 12:01pm
I use a power washer. But it's better to use a garden hose. My powerwasher is 1650 psi so it doesnt destroy plastic and graphics.

First I blast off all of the big stuff, focusing on the really bad parts first. Under fenders, under engine (remove skid plate), under swing arm, and the tires.

Second, give it a good coat of simple green. I don't let it sit long at all. maybe a minute.

I use a brush that has a long wooden handle so it's easier to scrub, you dont have to bend down as much.

Then I rinse it off.

Then I usually do a coat of Dawn dish soap and scrub down again. Followed by a second rinse.

If any metal looks dirty after this, I may go back with a magic eraser or scotch brite pad. Both do wonders for metal.

After it's clean, I hit it with the leaf blower to dry it down. Followed by a wipe down with a towel.

Finally, I finish with a coat of 303 aerospace protectant. Same stuff I use for my boat upholstery. (Don't sleep on the 303, it's a great product and well worth the money.) I use it on metal and plastic.

On my honda, I use mother's mag polish to do the frame and swing arm. You can polish it to a mirror finish, depending on how much effort you want to put in...
Markopolo400
10/27/2015 12:13pm
While the bike is dirty, I spray the entire thing with cheap laundry detergent, and let it sit for a few minutes while I set up my pressure washer.

Then I blast it. Works awesome.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
10/27/2015 12:16pm
Shout. The stuff you use to get the stains out of clothes. Spray it on. Hose it off works great. And cheap
Bret
10/27/2015 12:18pm
To get some of the hard to reach spots I use a kitchen broom with plastic bristles and hot soapy water. Just stab the bristles into the tight spots repeatedly. The long handle lets you remain standing too.

c0ncEpT
10/27/2015 12:20pm
Hose and wash mit. Simple green the whole bike and a Mr.Clean magic eraser for the boot marks on the frame.

Shit looks mint
95s10nj
10/27/2015 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2015 12:43pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
Shout. The stuff you use to get the stains out of clothes. Spray it on. Hose it off works great. And cheap
I swear buy this method. I buy shout at sams club that includes a gallon spray bottle and a 22 oz spray bottle for 10 bucks. I fill it 50/50 with water in a 1 gallon garden pump sprayer from lowes and wash with a 1500psi electric power washer or garden hose and my bike looks new every time. I had issues with sc1 lifting the edges of graphics so I switched to a lucas oil spray wax that can be bought at any auto store or walmart. For rub marks on the frame, grey or red scotch brite from an auto body supply store with wd40 works the best. Ive used the real fine white scotch brite along with wd40 to remove the rub marks underneath the fender when it bottoms.
10/27/2015 12:54pm
I have a pretty simple method and the bike looks better than most.

1. Hose off big dirt clots and work your way around until most big dirt is gone.
2. Spray with Purple Power in sections. Front to back, top to bottom.
3. After spraying with purple power, scrub with a normal scrub brush.
4. Rinse off immediately.
5. Work your way down the bike.
6. Dry
7. Prep for next ride/race.

Purple Power works great. I've used some race specific cleaners with the same success as Purple Power.
Titan1
10/27/2015 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2015 1:20pm
Why wash your bike? It's just going to get dirty the next time you ride it. They are called dirt bikes because they are supposed to be "dirt-y"...sheesh, they aren't "clean bikes".
radialone
10/27/2015 1:35pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
95s10nj wrote:
I swear buy this method. I buy shout at sams club that includes a gallon spray bottle and a 22 oz spray bottle for 10 bucks...
I swear buy this method. I buy shout at sams club that includes a gallon spray bottle and a 22 oz spray bottle for 10 bucks. I fill it 50/50 with water in a 1 gallon garden pump sprayer from lowes and wash with a 1500psi electric power washer or garden hose and my bike looks new every time. I had issues with sc1 lifting the edges of graphics so I switched to a lucas oil spray wax that can be bought at any auto store or walmart. For rub marks on the frame, grey or red scotch brite from an auto body supply store with wd40 works the best. Ive used the real fine white scotch brite along with wd40 to remove the rub marks underneath the fender when it bottoms.
Another vote for Shout here..
mjr119
10/27/2015 1:42pm
Seriously guys and gals, give 303 a try for the detail. Make sure you wipe off the excess because it doesn't evaporate.

It gives you a shine without the slickness. I even do my seat. A bottle has lasted me about 6 months. I do my jet skis, my boat, and my bikes after every wash (a lot). A little bit goes a long way.
olds cool
10/27/2015 1:46pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
95s10nj wrote:
I swear buy this method. I buy shout at sams club that includes a gallon spray bottle and a 22 oz spray bottle for 10 bucks...
radialone wrote:
Another vote for Shout here..
Using Shout is probably the most useful thing I have ever learned from Vital. Wink
Hut
10/27/2015 1:54pm
mjr119 wrote:
Seriously guys and gals, give 303 a try for the detail. Make sure you wipe off the excess because it doesn't evaporate. It gives you a...
Seriously guys and gals, give 303 a try for the detail. Make sure you wipe off the excess because it doesn't evaporate.

It gives you a shine without the slickness. I even do my seat. A bottle has lasted me about 6 months. I do my jet skis, my boat, and my bikes after every wash (a lot). A little bit goes a long way.
Good to know, Lemon Pledge works great for keeping things looking new but honestly it will make any surface it touches slicker than greased goose shit.
10/27/2015 2:18pm
I always wash my bike as soon as I get home....even if its in the middle of the night. It comes clean 10x easier than if you let it sit a day. I remove the seat and air filter. Then use Simple green and a water hose.
Tracktor
10/27/2015 2:32pm
Totally Awesome from the Dollar Store and pressure washer. Long handled car wash brush if they are really dirty. Our bikes always look mint.....The WD-40 tip above for heavy oil/grease is one I use often also.......I keep menaing to buy some Shout to try just to compare...........As for the pressure washer issue only an idiot would ruin their bike with one. When you are cleaning 5+ bikes at a time using a hose just doesn't cut it...................
cjmx
Fantasy
1187th
10/27/2015 2:39pm
olds cool wrote:
Using Shout is probably the most useful thing I have ever learned from Vital. Wink
same here. Thanks again CamP for that one.
KMC440
10/27/2015 3:05pm
Titan1 wrote:
Why wash your bike? It's just going to get dirty the next time you ride it. They are called dirt bikes because they are supposed to...
Why wash your bike? It's just going to get dirty the next time you ride it. They are called dirt bikes because they are supposed to be "dirt-y"...sheesh, they aren't "clean bikes".
^^^^^^^ Voice of reason.

Post a reply to: Best/Fastest way to wash your bike

The Latest