Barcia's take on Stewart

Grieby54
Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 4:39pm
I thought this was kind of interesting, and I'm not sure that I know what he's talking about with the "next level" comment. I'm a fan of Barcia, but he sounds awfully butt-hurt in this interview - especially for a guy who's nick-name is Bam Bam for his aggressive riding.

From RacerX's Open Mic:
Justin Barcia, Team Honda Muscle Milk, 5th in 450SX
That was a crazy race, dude.
Yeah, it was definitely crazy. I was feeling good and battling it up, having five, six, so many fast guys, one mistake puts you from top three to off the box like that. Definitely a bummer. I went in the corner pretty good and clipped my front brake. Tuff Block stood me up a little, and couldn’t do a triple. So it was definitely tough. And racing with those guys is so awesome, but then you got a guy like Stewart that is not very fun to race with. I race really aggressive with everyone, but I try not to race super dirty, but he takes it to that next level.

At one point did you think, hey, I might be able to win this one? You were in position at one point.
Yeah, I was feeling the best I felt since Phoenix for sure. I was happy, I was feeling good on the bike. Like I said that one darn mistake will put you off the box. And I respect all those guys out there, it’s fun racing with them. That’s what racing’s all about. Even [trainer, Jeff] Stanton said, “You can’t feel too bad about that night. Everyone’s going so fast and one little mistake takes you out.” It’s a learning year and I would like to try to make it a championship year, but first year, lots of mistakes and try to learn from them. – Jason Weigandt
|
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
3/4/2013 11:14am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 11:14am
He bruises easily for someone who punches hard.
Grieby54
3/4/2013 11:16am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 11:21am
Also had a bit of a chuckle reading Dungey's interview. Was someone else out there on the bike with him that I didn't notice?

Ryan Dungey, Red Bull KTM, 4th in 450SX
We actually made a lot of adjustments today to the bike internally, more with the suspension. We had a little different fork setting, kind of get a little bit more comfort in the front. And then we also tried a rear shock that got a lot more comfort as well. I hate to be testing at a race but it was good to see that the bike got better. Going into the main, got off to a good start but then going around the first couple turns we kind of got shut out and shuffled back there. We were about sixth place when they threw the red flag out. And the restart we took off… it was kind of carnage that first lap. We were able to make a couple passes that didn’t stick and then we made a couple passes that did stick, so it was kind of all over the place. But we were able to move our way up to fifth, got into fourth and, right there on Chad and James right there at the end, and Villopoto. So it was a good night. I was really happy with the bike setup.
Blitz
3/4/2013 11:21am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 11:22am
I didn't see anything happen between JB and JS in this race as far as dirty riding/passing...so to what is he referring? They had an incident last week in practice didn't they...is that what he's talking about?
peelout
3/4/2013 11:22am
it seems like Stewart aims for the front wheel when he passes, that is probably what Barcia is talking about.

that said, Barcia is as aggressive as anyone so it seems odd for him to say that.

then again, these interviews are taken just after the races. sometimes attitudes are different after a day than they are right after the event.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/4/2013 11:23am Edited Date/Time 3/4/2013 11:24am
Grieby54 wrote:
Also had a bit of a chuckle reading Dungey's interview. Was someone else out there on the bike with him that I didn't notice? [b]Ryan Dungey...
Also had a bit of a chuckle reading Dungey's interview. Was someone else out there on the bike with him that I didn't notice?

We actually made a lot of adjustments today to the bike internally, more with the suspension. We had a little different fork setting, kind of get a little bit more comfort in the front. And then we also tried a rear shock that got a lot more comfort as well. I hate to be testing at a race but it was good to see that the bike got better. Going into the main, got off to a good start but then going around the first couple turns we kind of got shut out and shuffled back there. We were about sixth place when they threw the red flag out. And the restart we took off… it was kind of carnage that first lap. We were able to make a couple passes that didn’t stick and then we made a couple passes that did stick, so it was kind of all over the place. But we were able to move our way up to fifth, got into fourth and, right there on Chad and James right there at the end, and Villopoto. So it was a good night. I was really happy with the bike setup.
If he said I, someone else in here would be all over his ass saying he's conceited. It's sort of a no-win situation.

At least he's not talking in third-person.

He's also a little more forthcoming with info this year, and that's a plus.
C.Worthy
3/4/2013 11:25am
ding ding ding and we have a winner!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
3/4/2013 11:25am
I wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the vets are giving him a little welcome to the big leagues extra. Letting them know it's got his attention isn't going to help that.

Peelout's right, too, riders get too much grief over stuff that's pretty natural in the heat of competition.
Grieby54
3/4/2013 11:28am
GuyB wrote:
If he said I, someone else in here would be all over his ass saying he's conceited. It's sort of a no-win situation. At least he's...
If he said I, someone else in here would be all over his ass saying he's conceited. It's sort of a no-win situation.

I don't know that he'd get grief for saying "I", but I try not to be the typical vitard...

Good call on the last two points.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/4/2013 11:30am
Blitz wrote:
I didn't see anything happen between JB and JS in this race as far as dirty riding/passing...so to what is he referring? They had an incident...
I didn't see anything happen between JB and JS in this race as far as dirty riding/passing...so to what is he referring? They had an incident last week in practice didn't they...is that what he's talking about?
I saw one spot in Atlanta's practice where Justin got bottled up on what would have been a fast lap.

Justin also had him for a moment on Saturday night, but couldn't pull the trigger on this triple, which allowed James to get back by.

3/4/2013 11:36am
pot calling the kettle black?

knew bam bam and james would come to blows eventually as they both push the limits of aggression so will be good to watch for the rest of the season.....Smile
3/4/2013 11:42am
I have to disagree with Barcia. Stewart is racing for a win and the pass on RV was text book. As the season winds down there will be more aggressive passing in the 450f class.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
3/4/2013 11:47am
Grieby54 wrote:
Also had a bit of a chuckle reading Dungey's interview. Was someone else out there on the bike with him that I didn't notice? [b]Ryan Dungey...

I think it's great he was brought up to be inclusive of his team and
not be one of those riders that it is all about him. Also, if you try to
use we and I in their proper context you'll inevitably use the wrong
one here and there and sound stupid, so to just standardize with we
is much more humble than I.
TM
dak446
3/4/2013 11:50am
I have to disagree with Barcia. Stewart is racing for a win and the pass on RV was text book. As the season winds down there...
I have to disagree with Barcia. Stewart is racing for a win and the pass on RV was text book. As the season winds down there will be more aggressive passing in the 450f class.
It was good racing, for sure. Like others have said, Barcia doesn't have a lot of room to complain. He shouldn't be whining, rubbin' is racin', all of the passes for the lead seemed very clean yet aggressive, and this was one of the best races of the year (if only we'd got to see it live!).
mx_579
3/4/2013 11:52am
ToolMaker wrote:
I think it's great he was brought up to be inclusive of his team and not be one of those riders that it is all about...
I think it's great he was brought up to be inclusive of his team and
not be one of those riders that it is all about him. Also, if you try to
use we and I in their proper context you'll inevitably use the wrong
one here and there and sound stupid, so to just standardize with we
is much more humble than I.
TM
I agree with this. There is a whole team supporting him. Everyone's effort contributes to the race.
3/4/2013 11:54am
Maybe Barcia is a little upset that during the CBS preview to the season the CHAMP (poto) called him out with no ambiguity:

RV said: "when you're racing with the top guys like Stewart, Dungey and Reed, you know there is a respect, and they'll race you and maybe run it in on you a bit, but over all there's respect. With Barcia, I don't see any respect from him towards the other riders at all."

So maybe he's just trying to spread a little attention around everywhere he can.
SEE ARE125
3/4/2013 11:56am
I'm a fan of both of them because neither one leaves anything on the table. Not sure what Barcia is talking about though. I didn't see JS do anything dirty, just textbook block passes. Of course something may have happened that the cameras didn't pick up, but I wouldn't say JS is a dirty rider. Just like Barcia, he just lets it all hang out and battles hard. I've never seen JS clean someone out just for the sake of cleaning someone out. Barcia on the other hand... But then again that's why I like the kid. His aggressive NFG style spices things up.
ga_pike
3/4/2013 11:57am
I lost a little bit for Barcia after those comments.
RedRum666
3/4/2013 1:01pm
The 3 laps of the main that were not shown on TV had a little fireworks from Stewart and Barcia..but nothing too crazy.... On the opening lap, 2nd or 3rd turn Barcia took Stewart really high and Stewart may have hit the tuffblocks..... A few turns later, Stewart came in and cleanly block passed Barcia, then Stewart passed alessi for the lead........ So Barcia has some sour grapes is my guess..... His pass on Stewart after the restart was borderline as he brake slid into Stewarts front wheel.... But then Barcia screwed the pooch and watched Stewart, Reed and Dungey cruise by.....so he is butt hurt and taking it out on Stewart.....DAYTONA will be awesome....
bvm111
3/4/2013 1:03pm
couldnt have said it better myself... he is a little bit of cry baby!
RedRum666
3/4/2013 1:08pm
Barcia got bottled up by Stewart on a fast lap in ATL....but I thought the riders dont care about qualifying times??? HAHAHA
davistld01
3/4/2013 1:14pm
Barcia came onto the scene in the 450 class last year in his races outdoors, and immediately races dirty against Dungey and others. And that, with all the BamBam cartoons and hype...he has put himself into the position where people race him as hard or harder than he has raced in the past. I've always said that if he comes into the 450 class and tries that crap on guys like Stewart, Villo or Reed, he's gonna wind up over the tuff blocks for real...

Kid's fast, but seems like a whiney baby to me.
dak446
3/4/2013 1:30pm
RedRum666 wrote:
The 3 laps of the main that were not shown on TV had a little fireworks from Stewart and Barcia..but nothing too crazy.... On the opening...
The 3 laps of the main that were not shown on TV had a little fireworks from Stewart and Barcia..but nothing too crazy.... On the opening lap, 2nd or 3rd turn Barcia took Stewart really high and Stewart may have hit the tuffblocks..... A few turns later, Stewart came in and cleanly block passed Barcia, then Stewart passed alessi for the lead........ So Barcia has some sour grapes is my guess..... His pass on Stewart after the restart was borderline as he brake slid into Stewarts front wheel.... But then Barcia screwed the pooch and watched Stewart, Reed and Dungey cruise by.....so he is butt hurt and taking it out on Stewart.....DAYTONA will be awesome....
Good to know. Thanks
3/4/2013 1:44pm
He'll learn quick. Reedy and Stewart will be the first to really park him if needed. He's been good so far this season though.
Crush
3/4/2013 1:49pm
Did anyone see anything that happened between them?!

I can't remember anything...
3/4/2013 1:55pm
Grieby54 wrote:

GuyB wrote:
If he said I, someone else in here would be all over his ass saying he's conceited. It's sort of a no-win situation. At least he's...

dudes he is simply doing what they all do when they are feeling their team vibe - he is including his team by saying "we", pretty sound if you ask me as none of them do it on their own, cannot belive this is beiong picked up on.

Watch any podium speech from Villo last year or so - JS7 is the same.

Barcia is a little bitch but doesn't like being treated that way in public, complaining about Stewart>? Come on kid get a grip....
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
3/4/2013 2:11pm
Grieby54 wrote:

Yeah, I agree with you, it sounded like the whole team was riding on the back of his bike. Pretty funny
3/4/2013 2:12pm
peelout wrote:
it seems like Stewart aims for the front wheel when he passes, that is probably what Barcia is talking about. that said, Barcia is as aggressive...
it seems like Stewart aims for the front wheel when he passes, that is probably what Barcia is talking about.

that said, Barcia is as aggressive as anyone so it seems odd for him to say that.

then again, these interviews are taken just after the races. sometimes attitudes are different after a day than they are right after the event.
Stewart aims for the front wheel?

I thought it was Barcia last week who clipped his teammate Canard in a bowl turn, taking out Canard's front spokes, sending Canard to the LCQ. Not Stewart.

What a whiney little brat...
Cigaro
3/4/2013 2:22pm
davistld01 wrote:
Barcia came onto the scene in the 450 class last year in his races outdoors, and immediately races dirty against Dungey and others. And that, with...
Barcia came onto the scene in the 450 class last year in his races outdoors, and immediately races dirty against Dungey and others. And that, with all the BamBam cartoons and hype...he has put himself into the position where people race him as hard or harder than he has raced in the past. I've always said that if he comes into the 450 class and tries that crap on guys like Stewart, Villo or Reed, he's gonna wind up over the tuff blocks for real...

Kid's fast, but seems like a whiney baby to me.
I seem to remember this place blowing up over Dungeys comments about Barcia after that race. What was it again? Oh ya, Dungey was a whining crybaby.

I'd like to hear their side now... Whistling

Post a reply to: Barcia's take on Stewart

The Latest