Bad habit?

Rexblaster
So I always hear about guys feathering the clutch and using it to manipulate the power and build up revs, but personally I have never done that. I only use the clutch to shift and coast into a corner. Is this something I need to start doing? I've ridden both four stroke and two stroke and its been the same with both and I can get around the track just fine and clear all the jumps no problem.
|
Prntscrn
7/24/2016 11:17am Edited Date/Time 7/24/2016 11:22am
I've had that habit since I was probably like 8 or 9 years old, and I would say it's a bad habit, so don't start! I've had a few times when the clutch has stopped working during a race and I have actually been going a little faster when I haven't been able to use it(according to my dad aka my mechanic), even though I feel like I'm going slower.

And if I were you I would try to stop using the clutch to coast into corners if that means what I think it does Smile
Motodave15
7/24/2016 11:18am
On a two smoke you feather a hell of alot more... atleast i do..

On my 4 stroke, im more of a downshift rev and dump.... almost like a speed boost lol... only time i really feather my 250f is slamming into a lose berm that zaps all my forward momentum
Frodad78
7/24/2016 11:27am
On a 2 stroke it's required. Not just about getting the revs up, but slipping it just right to lay down a smooth power delivery and maintain traction.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/24/2016 11:30am
Do you use the clutch everytime you shift? Do you not get arm pump from pulling the clutch in on every corner?

The Shop

Rexblaster
7/24/2016 11:35am
kzizok wrote:
Do you use the clutch everytime you shift? Do you not get arm pump from pulling the clutch in on every corner?
Yeah, I've always done it that way. I don't get that bad of arm pump, it's pretty manageable. Is that something I need to work on?
plowboy
7/24/2016 11:43am
I was under the impression everyone since Kent Howerton just kept the throttle pinned and regulated power with the clutch. I hear the rev limiters bouncing all the time so I just assumed they were. I never have used/slipped the clutch cause I'm old and started riding when they were made of peanut butter and sawdust.
olds cool
7/24/2016 12:10pm
Keefer 'splained using the clutch to control the front from coming up on four strokes, especially the 450s, on the last Pulp MX show. It was a caller's question. Can you say modulation?
Rexblaster
7/24/2016 12:15pm
olds cool wrote:
Keefer 'splained using the clutch to control the front from coming up on four strokes, especially the 450s, on the last Pulp MX show. It was...
Keefer 'splained using the clutch to control the front from coming up on four strokes, especially the 450s, on the last Pulp MX show. It was a caller's question. Can you say modulation?
Yeah, that's actually what made me post this lol! I ride a 07 crf250 so I don't really have a problem keeping the front down, I was just wondering if the whole building up revs thing could help my corner speed?
wreckitrandy
7/24/2016 12:25pm
No man. You need a new $900 pipe and silencer. Your bike will be a beast.
Jimmy_Sloan
7/24/2016 12:27pm
Rexblaster wrote:
So I always hear about guys feathering the clutch and using it to manipulate the power and build up revs, but personally I have never done...
So I always hear about guys feathering the clutch and using it to manipulate the power and build up revs, but personally I have never done that. I only use the clutch to shift and coast into a corner. Is this something I need to start doing? I've ridden both four stroke and two stroke and its been the same with both and I can get around the track just fine and clear all the jumps no problem.
It works awesome on two strokes. I don't think there is much need on a four stroke.
Rexblaster
7/24/2016 12:30pm
Someone hasn't ever had a 2smoker lol.
It was an 85, so I could see how it doesn't qualify Laughing
7/24/2016 12:35pm
olds cool wrote:
Keefer 'splained using the clutch to control the front from coming up on four strokes, especially the 450s, on the last Pulp MX show. It was...
Rexblaster wrote:
Yeah, that's actually what made me post this lol! I ride a 07 crf250 so I don't really have a problem keeping the front down, I...
Yeah, that's actually what made me post this lol! I ride a 07 crf250 so I don't really have a problem keeping the front down, I was just wondering if the whole building up revs thing could help my corner speed?
No it's not gonna help. It's a bad habit. It can be faster in some corners but you have to know where to do it and how to use it. Just try to be smooth and learn how to control the throttle. That's gonna make your corner speed better.
Rexblaster
7/24/2016 3:30pm
No it's not gonna help. It's a bad habit. It can be faster in some corners but you have to know where to do it and...
No it's not gonna help. It's a bad habit. It can be faster in some corners but you have to know where to do it and how to use it. Just try to be smooth and learn how to control the throttle. That's gonna make your corner speed better.
Okay, thanks for the info!
davis224
Fantasy
165th
7/24/2016 3:36pm
Kevin Windham broke me of coasting into corners with the clutch in at a riding camp back in 08, said I needed to utilize the engine braking more
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
7/24/2016 4:33pm
You can use the clutch to keep the front end down, but my try working on throttle control as well. Smooth and steady, keep your feet on the pegs as long as you can.
OleTex
7/24/2016 4:42pm
Rexblaster wrote:
So I always hear about guys feathering the clutch and using it to manipulate the power and build up revs, but personally I have never done...
Howdy neighbor! There is some good,advice on this thread. Feathering the clutch is mainly for two strokes. It helps keep them in the power band. You should not need to with a 250f. Don't coast into corners with the clutch engaged. Get in the right gear and use engine breaking only if needed. It takes practice but your corner speed will improve.

Good luck!
Mini Elsinore
7/24/2016 5:28pm
plowboy wrote:
I was under the impression everyone since Kent Howerton just kept the throttle pinned and regulated power with the clutch. I hear the rev limiters bouncing...
I was under the impression everyone since Kent Howerton just kept the throttle pinned and regulated power with the clutch. I hear the rev limiters bouncing all the time so I just assumed they were. I never have used/slipped the clutch cause I'm old and started riding when they were made of peanut butter and sawdust.
Bob, is that you?! Laughing

Post a reply to: Bad habit?

The Latest