BRIGHT IDEA; Combine the AMA Nats/"World Championship" (MX2/MXGP) for three rounds

I'm sure this has been thought of before but why not hold a series within two series'?

You know, rather than the MXGP have it's own dates here in the US, they should just jump in to three rounds of the AMA Nationals. It could mean nothing detrimental points-wise if they just awarded top finishers from each series first place points(respectively) and so on down the line. The idea being all the top guys actually race each other a few times a year.

Downside being the regular 18th to 40th place AMA guys will probably be battling for about 5 spots.

Glen Helen, Washougal, Unadilla sounds good.

|
kiwifan
7/11/2016 6:16pm
You will have start line limits on numbers, therefore that will not help struggling privateers in the AMA Nationals from getting contingency payments

Sorry, a big no from me
early
Fantasy
2212th
7/11/2016 6:17pm
In a perfect world...
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/11/2016 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2016 6:25pm
My brain quickly got confused with just initial thoughts of how something like that would go down. I mean, I just cant see there being any benefit for anyone. Add in riders that are focused on AMA on the track, with GP guys just seems counterproductive.

Regardless if they are scored per each governing body, people could get injured from riders that arent in their own series. Then people get pissed.

Thinking outside the box is good but it just seems very complicated. What incentive would there be for the GP riders?
Moto810
7/11/2016 6:27pm
Why stop there? Why not schedule the two series so that any rider could ride both. Combine the points and consider that rider the "World Champ"! If they were able to work together (US Nationals and MX GP) it would make for the best racing series we ever have seen.

The Shop

500guy
7/11/2016 6:43pm
While we are at it combine the NFL, Arena Football and Canadian Football League for 6 Games.

Ted722
7/11/2016 6:50pm
I like the thought, but wasn't too happy with competing series (250cc East/West) at Vegas this year.

A Trans-AMA like series would be a hit. 3 races is plenty.

Never got a chance to see any of these, but it must have been cool.

1978 Trans-AMA Series
9/24 Lexington, OH
10/1 Red Bud
10/8 Unadilla
10/15 Lake Sugar Tree
10/22 St. Peters, MO
10/29 Lake Whitney, TX
11/5 Sonoma
7/11/2016 6:53pm
kzizok wrote:
My brain quickly got confused with just initial thoughts of how something like that would go down. I mean, I just cant see there being any...
My brain quickly got confused with just initial thoughts of how something like that would go down. I mean, I just cant see there being any benefit for anyone. Add in riders that are focused on AMA on the track, with GP guys just seems counterproductive.

Regardless if they are scored per each governing body, people could get injured from riders that arent in their own series. Then people get pissed.

Thinking outside the box is good but it just seems very complicated. What incentive would there be for the GP riders?
I think the fans would benefit Cool

And I agree. The more I thought about it as I typed the more impossible it sounded but decided to hit submit anyway.

Incentive-wise, I think proving they're truly the best would do. Maybe not though Whistling
7/11/2016 6:55pm
500guy wrote:
While we are at it combine the NFL, Arena Football and Canadian Football League for 6 Games.

That wouldn't bother ME one bit.
SCR
7/11/2016 7:01pm
Ted722 wrote:
I like the thought, but wasn't too happy with competing series (250cc East/West) at Vegas this year. A Trans-AMA like series would be a hit. 3...
I like the thought, but wasn't too happy with competing series (250cc East/West) at Vegas this year.

1978 Trans-AMA Series
9/24 Lexington, OH
10/1 Red Bud
10/8 Unadilla
10/15 Lake Sugar Tree
10/22 St. Peters, MO
10/29 Lake Whitney, TX
11/5 Sonoma
I was thinking same thing. Old school Trans AMA, . 3 rounds 45 min motos. Have a Open class 250 to 500cc two stroke or 4 stroke. And a 125 support class. Have it on the West Coast one year, and on East coast following year.
Ted722
7/11/2016 7:04pm
Ted722 wrote:
I like the thought, but wasn't too happy with competing series (250cc East/West) at Vegas this year. A Trans-AMA like series would be a hit. 3...

1978 Trans-AMA Series
9/24 Lexington, OH
10/1 Red Bud
10/8 Unadilla
10/15 Lake Sugar Tree
10/22 St. Peters, MO
10/29 Lake Whitney, TX
11/5 Sonoma
SCR wrote:
I was thinking same thing. Old school Trans AMA, . 3 rounds 45 min motos. Have a Open class 250 to 500cc two stroke or 4...
I was thinking same thing. Old school Trans AMA, . 3 rounds 45 min motos. Have a Open class 250 to 500cc two stroke or 4 stroke. And a 125 support class. Have it on the West Coast one year, and on East coast following year.
...and Europe the next.
7/11/2016 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2016 7:41pm
Moto810 wrote:
Why stop there? Why not schedule the two series so that any rider could ride both. Combine the points and consider that rider the "World Champ"...
Why stop there? Why not schedule the two series so that any rider could ride both. Combine the points and consider that rider the "World Champ"! If they were able to work together (US Nationals and MX GP) it would make for the best racing series we ever have seen.
I like it!

Trim the Nats and MXGP series down to 12 rounds each(AMA is already there) and run them consecutively for a 24 round world championship. Shortening the MXGP series to 12 rounds would make it line up perfectly(almost) with the start of the current National schedule. You could either race supercross/nationals or the world championship.

You wanna send the email to the mxgp guys, letting them know we fixed it, or should I? Woohoo

Edit: Actually, if we shortened the SX season slightly and bumped the start of the GP/Nats out two months, a guy could run all three.

This(I) is genius, really. Assuming a racer was from either Europe or the US, he'd never be(too far) away from home for more than a few months at a time.
ga_pike
7/11/2016 7:24pm
There is a way to do something... I think back to the days of the 125/250 and 125/500 series in the AMA. Why couldn't there be a shortened MXGP series and then run a shortened outdoor series followed by a couple "combined" rounds. Take the top 10 guys from AMA, top 10 from MXGP, top 5 from Canada and leave 15 spots for open qualifing. Maybe hold races at 2 US tracks and 2 Euro tracks. Obviously, there would be some logistics to work out but it could be done. Maybe even a round in Japan? Might help with getting some of those brands on board.
Fat Fingers
7/11/2016 7:36pm
Better idea, make SX 12 rounds, take a one month break then have a 12 round world motocross championship.

You could still run national championships in the background in US and in Europe but the top guys would race a 12 round world championship. Dream on.

KID858
7/11/2016 8:18pm
Better idea, make SX 12 rounds, take a one month break then have a 12 round world motocross championship. You could still run national championships in...
Better idea, make SX 12 rounds, take a one month break then have a 12 round world motocross championship.

You could still run national championships in the background in US and in Europe but the top guys would race a 12 round world championship. Dream on.

whats your avatar from? 10 mxon?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/11/2016 8:19pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2016 8:20pm
kzizok wrote:
My brain quickly got confused with just initial thoughts of how something like that would go down. I mean, I just cant see there being any...

I think the fans would benefit B) And I agree. The more I thought about it as I typed the more impossible it sounded but decided...
I think the fans would benefit Cool

And I agree. The more I thought about it as I typed the more impossible it sounded but decided to hit submit anyway.

Incentive-wise, I think proving they're truly the best would do. Maybe not though Whistling
I didnt think about the fans. It would be awesome to watch, for sure.

Dont second guess yourself over the topic. You had a thought and people are replying. This a forum and thats what its for.

Plus, its something different for a change.
Moto810
7/11/2016 8:29pm
Moto810 wrote:
Why stop there? Why not schedule the two series so that any rider could ride both. Combine the points and consider that rider the "World Champ"...
I like it! Trim the Nats and MXGP series down to 12 rounds each(AMA is already there) and run them consecutively for a 24 round world...
I like it!

Trim the Nats and MXGP series down to 12 rounds each(AMA is already there) and run them consecutively for a 24 round world championship. Shortening the MXGP series to 12 rounds would make it line up perfectly(almost) with the start of the current National schedule. You could either race supercross/nationals or the world championship.

You wanna send the email to the mxgp guys, letting them know we fixed it, or should I? Woohoo

Edit: Actually, if we shortened the SX season slightly and bumped the start of the GP/Nats out two months, a guy could run all three.

This(I) is genius, really. Assuming a racer was from either Europe or the US, he'd never be(too far) away from home for more than a few months at a time.
Yes your correct about SX but don't stop there! Move Arenacross to the fall that way up and coming riders and MXGP riders can get there practice before SX starts! Now you have moto all year around and each series would sell out!

Was that so difficult?
Flip109
7/11/2016 8:58pm
We are basically getting this with the US GP's.
7/11/2016 9:09pm
Moto810 wrote:
Yes your correct about SX but don't stop there! Move Arenacross to the fall that way up and coming riders and MXGP riders can get there...
Yes your correct about SX but don't stop there! Move Arenacross to the fall that way up and coming riders and MXGP riders can get there practice before SX starts! Now you have moto all year around and each series would sell out!

Was that so difficult?
Simple.

Makes you wonder why, if they worked together to make the SX series a "world championship", they wouldn't do the same with the real deal.
7/11/2016 9:22pm
Out of all the GP's in the states the last couple of years how many AMA riders took the challenge and participated? The GP's came to thier doorstep and they excused thier way out of direct competition. They had thier chance so let it be as it is with the lingering doubt plus years of MXoN failure to add to the icing on the cake. Jeremy's interview a couple of days ago told the story, "the MXGP riders are now as good or even better than the USA riders" going to be a tough MXoN this year
7/11/2016 9:24pm
kzizok wrote:
I didnt think about the fans. It would be awesome to watch, for sure. Dont second guess yourself over the topic. You had a thought and...
I didnt think about the fans. It would be awesome to watch, for sure.

Dont second guess yourself over the topic. You had a thought and people are replying. This a forum and thats what its for.

Plus, its something different for a change.
Thanks. I was expecting a flogging, actually Wink
MXR
7/11/2016 9:33pm
Bring back the Trans Am series in the fall .
7/11/2016 9:40pm
The Source wrote:
Out of all the GP's in the states the last couple of years how many AMA riders took the challenge and participated? The GP's came to...
Out of all the GP's in the states the last couple of years how many AMA riders took the challenge and participated? The GP's came to thier doorstep and they excused thier way out of direct competition. They had thier chance so let it be as it is with the lingering doubt plus years of MXoN failure to add to the icing on the cake. Jeremy's interview a couple of days ago told the story, "the MXGP riders are now as good or even better than the USA riders" going to be a tough MXoN this year
Is it the riders or the teams? And I ask that honestly. I think teams want championships and don't want their big stars taking unnecessary chances but I could be wrong. As a stand-alone thing, it kinda makes sense they wouldn't show up.
Ted722
7/11/2016 9:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2016 9:50pm
The Source wrote:
Out of all the GP's in the states the last couple of years how many AMA riders took the challenge and participated? The GP's came to...
Is it the riders or the teams? And I ask that honestly. [i]I[/i] think teams want championships and don't want their big stars taking unnecessary chances...
Is it the riders or the teams? And I ask that honestly. I think teams want championships and don't want their big stars taking unnecessary chances but I could be wrong. As a stand-alone thing, it kinda makes sense they wouldn't show up.
I think it's contract related. Curious if they get the same bonus money that they do for a win at an AMA National.
Moto810
7/11/2016 10:30pm
Moto810 wrote:
Yes your correct about SX but don't stop there! Move Arenacross to the fall that way up and coming riders and MXGP riders can get there...

Was that so difficult?
Simple.

Makes you wonder why, if they worked together to make the SX series a "world championship", they wouldn't do the same with the real deal.
I would guess the issue is ego. If they would all get past trying to be the big dog then they would figure out that if they did the above idea then they would all make much more money! The industry would be stronger and tv would pay them more!

In this idea they can all still run their own races but just work closely with each other as far as basic rules, points, and scheduling.
mark_swart
7/11/2016 11:10pm
This has come up before, complications with different bike spec rules too. I still think it would be cool if nothing else for a couple of rounds stateside. Oh well, we can dream I guess.
chump6784
7/11/2016 11:21pm
Better idea, make SX 12 rounds, take a one month break then have a 12 round world motocross championship. You could still run national championships in...

I like this idea. Makes moto more like moto gp or world superbikes. The best of the best would trace the world championship, the rest would race the local events
Bearuno
7/11/2016 11:59pm
Leave it alone.

While I'm no fan of Luongo / Youthstream, the World Championships is The World Championships. Some (most?) of you Yanks may not think much of it, but many others do.

And, the US Nationals are The US Nationals.

And, there are a whole lot of other National series that are great. Just a lot less hyped that the US Nationals.

Leave them all be.

And Surely , you Yanks don't want Luongo anywhere near your series?

Any 'combination' , would give that mongrel an 'in' on your racing. DC and Co may not be perfect (no one is), but, they are far more benevolent towards MX than Luongo is.

You've / We've got the SX series to watch, that takes up a Lot of time and resources. And, It's your very own (U.S.) "World Championships". I suspect that a 'thing' like the Red Bull Straight Rhythm will end up being pushed out to more events - it seems the perfect 'thing' for those who find even 15 minute SX races to be too demanding of their limited attention spans.
HenryA
7/12/2016 12:04am
^ Word. Don't let Luongo anywhere near the US Nationals.
philG
7/12/2016 12:15am Edited Date/Time 7/12/2016 12:19am
mark_swart wrote:
This has come up before, complications with different bike spec rules too. I still think it would be cool if nothing else for a couple of...
This has come up before, complications with different bike spec rules too. I still think it would be cool if nothing else for a couple of rounds stateside. Oh well, we can dream I guess.
This..

Until you run the same rules for fuel and noise , it cant happen.

And personally, I'm not bothered, if US guys want to do GP's then come and do them , they are the World Championship, its open to anybody.

Post a reply to: BRIGHT IDEA; Combine the AMA Nats/"World Championship" (MX2/MXGP) for three rounds

The Latest