BMX for Moto

mdb413
Edited Date/Time 3/3/2015 5:58pm
Hey I was just looking for some advice. I recently started taking my 5 and 8 year old sons to a BMX/Skate Park and was wondering what size of bike that I could get so that I could ride/train while not getting to the dirtbike track. I have a 29 inch mountain bike but it was not a great deal of fun the one time I tried it. I am not looking to perform backflips or anything close. I just want to be able to ride the rythm sections. Also, I do not wish to spend a ton of money, just something that will get the job done until warmer weather appears. Thanks for any advice or input.

Matt
|
Yzf916
2/4/2015 5:01am
I have a 24" Intense Pro. It is exactly like a standard 20" BMX bike. Just larger. I'm 6' and 175lbs and had a blast at BREC in Baton Rouge, La. Im 50 yrs old and was jumping out of bowls with no problem.

kakarot
2/4/2015 5:51am
mdb413 wrote:
Hey I was just looking for some advice. I recently started taking my 5 and 8 year old sons to a BMX/Skate Park and was wondering...
Hey I was just looking for some advice. I recently started taking my 5 and 8 year old sons to a BMX/Skate Park and was wondering what size of bike that I could get so that I could ride/train while not getting to the dirtbike track. I have a 29 inch mountain bike but it was not a great deal of fun the one time I tried it. I am not looking to perform backflips or anything close. I just want to be able to ride the rythm sections. Also, I do not wish to spend a ton of money, just something that will get the job done until warmer weather appears. Thanks for any advice or input.

Matt
I'd say go with a 24 or 26",I myself ride a 26" O.M. Flyer.Check craigslist or the likes ,lots of good deals as kids out grow the need for bikes.
JeepnMike
2/4/2015 6:31am
Yzf916 wrote:
I have a 24" Intense Pro. It is exactly like a standard 20" BMX bike. Just larger. I'm 6' and 175lbs and had a blast at...
I have a 24" Intense Pro. It is exactly like a standard 20" BMX bike. Just larger. I'm 6' and 175lbs and had a blast at BREC in Baton Rouge, La. Im 50 yrs old and was jumping out of bowls with no problem.

At 50 years old, that is rad (don't mind the pun). I hope the kids look up to you.. That is pretty cool you can still ride like that. BMX bikes are no joke.. You have to be pretty dang fit. If folks have never actually raced a BMX moto, you have no idea.
BobPA
2/4/2015 6:40am
How tall are you? There are a lot if 24" cruisers out there. If you are trying to go the freestyle route I would check this out.

https://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/107020/2015_Sunday_15_Model-C_2…

If you want the more race set ups check this one out.

https://www.danscomp.com/products-BIKES/107153/2014_Chase_Edge_Pro_24_B…

I just got done building a 20" again after about a 4 year break. Riding BMX really helps timing and balance for Moto, plus a long day and the track/park really gets you in shape.

The Shop

brocster
2/4/2015 6:52am
it kinda depends on what you are used to. If you haven't riden a 20" in a few years getting back on them can be kinda twitchy be it in a park or on the track. Make sure you get one that fits you if you are going to go the 20" route. They are measured in top tube length. 6' or taller go with a 21" TT or 21.25" for a park/trails bike. 24" are a little less twitchy due to the size and are fun but I rather my 20" in skateparks pumping around the bowls. BTW I am 6' 190 and 46 years old and have spun many of pedals at BREC in Baton Rouge as well. That's me on the low side, son on the high side.

dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
2/4/2015 6:53am
I ride a 20" robinson bmx....
hvaughn88
2/4/2015 7:03am
I've got a 24" free agent, and as mentioned, it feels a lot more stable than a 20" after I was off them for so long. To be honest, though, my favorite all around bike to ride is my KHS dirt jumper. It's comfortable in the parks as well as pump tracks, dirt jumps and some mild drops.
mdb413
2/4/2015 7:42am
Thanks for the replies. I have been mountain biking since college age. I am now 37 and 175 lbs. I will definitely look into some of the links that you guys have provided. I hope to get into the bmx/park thing a little bit more just because the park is only fifteen minutes away. The best mx place to ride from me is 1.5 hours at best. My sons love riding their scooters and it is a ton cheaper. Anyhow, my 29 inch mtn bike just seems way to big and bulky. I am in good shape but I will not be doing too much craziness. I just want a workout and continue to train for my pro mx debut. Just joking. Please keep the suggestions coming. The advice is really opening my eyes. Also, the last time I rode a smaller wheeled bike was I think back in Junior High, so keep steering me in the right direction. Thank you all so much.

Matt
mx836
2/4/2015 7:51am
I am currently restoring my 1999 DK General Lee. Probably won't ride it. Been looking at the 26" with a suspension fork. I rode one that belongs to a buddy at Ray's indoor park in Milwaukee. Seems like they would be the best all around bike for riding there or dirt jumping. At 6'2" 210 lbs, I don't really feel like tearing up the parks anymore. Bicycles hurt!!!
hvaughn88
2/4/2015 8:04am
any of yall have DMR's? About 5 years ago I was doing a lot of street riding and wanted to build up a Drone, but never did. Anybody have one or ridden one? What's your thoughts about them?
brocster
2/4/2015 8:08am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2015 8:08am
Volume bikes makes a 26" BMX inspired setup called a "Hessian". I have one but only use to cruise around town and don't think I would like it in a park type setting. too used to the 20"

Fairdale bikes makes one similar as well called the "Taj" and is pretty cool looking as a replica of the Mongoose of the eraly 80"s.
Samuel
2/4/2015 8:20am
Get a dirt jumper. A used a specialized p series would be a good cheap one. They are good because you can ride bmx style stuff and freeride type stuff. I got one for 250 used and it was bullet proof. My buddy went from riding a 20 inch bmx to a 26 inch dj. He can do all his bmx tricks still but now can do bigger jumps. Over jumping or coming up short isn't as problematic.
500guy
2/4/2015 8:24am
Worst thing that ever happened was Freestyle getting called BMX or Motocross.
Mini Elsinore
2/4/2015 8:46am
mx836 wrote:
I am currently restoring my 1999 DK General Lee. Probably won't ride it. Been looking at the 26" with a suspension fork. I rode one that...
I am currently restoring my 1999 DK General Lee. Probably won't ride it. Been looking at the 26" with a suspension fork. I rode one that belongs to a buddy at Ray's indoor park in Milwaukee. Seems like they would be the best all around bike for riding there or dirt jumping. At 6'2" 210 lbs, I don't really feel like tearing up the parks anymore. Bicycles hurt!!!
Excellent piece!
I have my oldest son's General Lee---in orange. I've had several offers to buy it, but there is no way it leaves the family.
is yours black or orange?
MP261
2/4/2015 9:25am
I've been lurking the board for a couple years, and this was the thread that made me cave and finally sign up.

I am 29 been riding BMX for about 15 years and last year was the first year I actually rode more moto than I did BMX, that being said winter came and I started riding BMX indoors again and tried a friends 26" dirt jumper at Joyride 150 and was completely sold. I ended up picking up a 2014 Specialized P3 and love it. Mind you I still ride my BMX, but the dirt jumper is way more forgiving. A few years ago most BMX frames went to a steep 75° head tube angle which makes it really "twitchy", whereas the the 26" has a lot more rake and jumps and turns with a lot more stability (almost feels like your riding moto).

Hope that helps.
mdb413
2/4/2015 9:34am
Eagle, that link you provided is exactly where I have been going. I would have mentioned it in greater detail but did not want to get slammed for spam. I have been following this site since 2007 and signed up last year but my account quit working so I had to begin again so I know to try to walk softly when posting or asking questions. Anyhow, I am definitely checking out all of your suggestions. Hopefully I can find something that works great for training. I see other dad's and grown ups on bmx type bikes so I figured why not give it a try, it is better than standing there watching everyone else have fun and at least its on two wheels.

Matt
brocster
2/4/2015 9:50am Edited Date/Time 2/4/2015 9:52am
MP261 I have been to Joyride 150 twice and that place is insane...you are lucky to have that available.

mdb413 I got back into BMX after many years of not riding. After a few times of going to the park watching my son from the sidelines I decided to piece together a 20" using his old scrap parts and get back out there. I have since been riding BMX again for the last 13 years and yes I do feel it helps with MX in many ways. Have fun and ride on......
Homey55
2/4/2015 10:00am
26" dirt jumper with or without fron suspension will work best for you. Every manufacturer makes one and they start at around $300. You can take them to the BMX track and to the skate park.

MP261
2/4/2015 11:11am
brocster wrote:
MP261 I have been to Joyride 150 twice and that place is insane...you are lucky to have that available. mdb413 I got back into BMX after...
MP261 I have been to Joyride 150 twice and that place is insane...you are lucky to have that available.

mdb413 I got back into BMX after many years of not riding. After a few times of going to the park watching my son from the sidelines I decided to piece together a 20" using his old scrap parts and get back out there. I have since been riding BMX again for the last 13 years and yes I do feel it helps with MX in many ways. Have fun and ride on......
Is your son Broc Raiford? I know he's been up here for the Toronto BMX Jam in prior years.
brocster
2/4/2015 11:26am
brocster wrote:
MP261 I have been to Joyride 150 twice and that place is insane...you are lucky to have that available. mdb413 I got back into BMX after...

MP261 wrote:
Is your son Broc Raiford? I know he's been up here for the Toronto BMX Jam in prior years.
sure is.....he left 3 front teeth from a faceplant up there a few years back at Toronto Jam
RandyS
2/4/2015 11:26am
+3 on the 26" dirt jumper. I've never liked riding 24"s, at 53 I can still ride a 20" pretty well but decided to build a 24 last summer. I do this every 5 or 6 years, just long enough to forget how much I fucking hate 24s. Rode it a couple of times and parked it. I rode a friends 26" Black Market dirt jumper after that, most fun I've had on a bike in 20 years. As soon as I'm done with the YZ250 I'm building I'm building a 26" DJ, probably a Deity Cryptkeeper. You can get a pretty nice bike used for under $500(check Pinkbike) or like said above, new entry level in the 3s.
dl117
Fantasy
2577th
2/4/2015 11:33am
I ride a 24, staats race bike I just got done a few months ago, love it, and like everyone says 20 is very twitchy. I have ridden my daughters 20" bike and hate it compaired to my 24.

at the end of the day go out and find something you can afford and ride comfortably on and have a blast with the kids.
BobPA
2/4/2015 11:43am
500guy wrote:
You're a douche. "Freestyle" BMX is exponentionally bigger than the racing scene.

I just got done building mine 2 days ago...minus the borrowed pedals and wheelset from my friend for a few days. Nothing like cruising the streets with a couple guys. We don't have parks around here so in the summer we hit the trails and street pretty hard.

20" bikes aren't really that twitchy. Sounds to me like a 26" could be up your alley, like others have said they are way more forgiving.....and you can actually sit down.

OldMechanik
2/4/2015 11:56am
I have a 20" Haro that at 25-30 years old I thought was awesome.....now I would gladly take a 24.
MP261
2/4/2015 12:04pm
brocster wrote:

MP261 wrote:
brocster wrote:
sure is.....he left 3 front teeth from a faceplant up there a few years back at Toronto Jam
I remember that, I've ridden that contest for years. The ramps were really bad for quite a few years, but there are new people running it now, and they guys from JR150 are building the ramps. Should be a lot better this year.
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
2/4/2015 12:09pm
500guy wrote:
BobPA wrote:
You're a douche. "Freestyle" BMX is exponentionally bigger than the racing scene. I just got done building mine 2 days ago...minus the borrowed pedals and wheelset...
You're a douche. "Freestyle" BMX is exponentionally bigger than the racing scene.

I just got done building mine 2 days ago...minus the borrowed pedals and wheelset from my friend for a few days. Nothing like cruising the streets with a couple guys. We don't have parks around here so in the summer we hit the trails and street pretty hard.

20" bikes aren't really that twitchy. Sounds to me like a 26" could be up your alley, like others have said they are way more forgiving.....and you can actually sit down.

freestyle was not bigger than racing in the early 80's.......
500guy
2/4/2015 12:12pm
dsmith wrote:
He obviously hit his head one to many times.

USA BMX has 70,000 members , That does not include Canada or any of the other BMX racing around the world.

I love how these stupid 14 yr old fucks throw around the insults
RandyS
2/4/2015 12:44pm
I'm gonna have to go with the 14yr old stupid fuck. Dirt Jumping/Street/Park is easily 10 times larger than racing ever was or is ever going to be. I have friends at USABMX and I think they're doing the best they can with a sport whose time has come and gone, they're getting record numbers at the Nationals but they're also the only game. The local tracks are as a whole dead. Combine ABA, NBL, NBA, UBR, NEBA, WWBMXA, all the rest of the regional sanctions, and the indy tracks and the numbers are down in an expanded demographic. BMX racing had it's heyday in the 70s to mid 80s. It will never be as big as it was, right now it's benefiting from the parents who were part of the first wave bringing their kids but a sport whose average participant lasts under 2 years and is gone isn't set for expansion. The only thing that bugs me about the current state of BMX(freestyle, sorry freestyle won the name game) is that it has become totally acceptable to refer to your bike as a "BMX". The equivalent of calling your 450 a "Motocross".
JM485
2/4/2015 12:45pm
dsmith wrote:
500guy wrote:
He obviously hit his head one to many times. USA BMX has 70,000 members , That does not include Canada or any of the other BMX...
He obviously hit his head one to many times.

USA BMX has 70,000 members , That does not include Canada or any of the other BMX racing around the world.

I love how these stupid 14 yr old fucks throw around the insults
I've never heard of bmx racers hating on freestyle guys or vise versa, that's some high school shit that only stuck up Mx guys get caught up in. Moto could take a lesson or two from the bmx world in this instance, I don't understand the tension between racing and freestyle that some of you guys make up in your minds.

Post a reply to: BMX for Moto

The Latest