Average age of ADD diagnosis???

Thelen20
Edited Date/Time 6/29/2014 1:34pm
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I have not seen this talked about yet and I am just honestly curious.

What age were you ADD/ADHD sufferers diagnosed???

Sounds like James was diagnosed at age 26. Sounds unusual to me, but is it?
|
Forza
6/28/2014 5:50pm
Yup he is a cheater too. Happy?
Hut
6/28/2014 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2014 6:04pm
Well I ain't no Doctor but imagine if they had him on them pills from the start!!!
Bob693
6/28/2014 6:16pm
Depends really, I was diagnosed when I was a kid and took medication for a couple years then stopped, took it again when I got in high school for a couple more but then stopped again and haven't taken it since. Who knows if that's the case with James or not. I will say that someone mentioned concussions maybe having an affect and that could also be the case. My brother suffered a traumatic brain injury and had problems keeping focused when riding after that. James has certainly had his fair share of hits to the head.
smeg
6/28/2014 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2014 6:22pm
I thought it was odd also. Someone else mentioned this but not being able to focus/losing concentration is a sign you have had one too many concussions. Talked about quite a bit with NFL players. One has to assume his doctors know what they are doing but why did he not have trouble focusing when he went 24-0 but now he does??? (also mentioned by someone else).

It is my understanding that ADD/ADHD is not something that manifests itself later in life. It is something you have from birth.

edit:Bob beat me to it.

The Shop

Thelen20
6/28/2014 6:38pm
If the concussion theory is true that could definitely be the reason for the late diagnosis.
Grizz
6/28/2014 6:40pm
I was around 13-15. Had to go through a few doctors before one of them diagnosed ADHD. Like motodog said above, changed my (young) life.
Thelen20
6/28/2014 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2014 6:51pm
motodog621 wrote:
45 for me- changed my life.....
Do you feel like you developed it or suffered from it all your life?
mxracer546
6/28/2014 8:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2014 8:31pm
I was diagnosed at age 48 and can say it has changed my life! I can say I have had it all my life when I look back.
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
6/28/2014 8:39pm
52, struggled with it my whole life. . . people who say it don't exist haven't ever experienced the frustration. . .

And . . .I have an advanced degree and hold several electrical licenses, all before I was diagnosed.

It was a struggle to achieve those goals.

Life is good,Smile
6/28/2014 8:53pm
I was diagnoised at 27. U can be diagnosed at any age. Its so funny how much people blew this outta proportion,really shows how stupid the american public really are! If it wasnt for google the general public our a bunch of morons. Js7 is wrong for not telling the fim that he was on a prescribed med. And if he is on a prescribed med for add, every hater can go scratch.lol so funny to how people think adderal is performance enhancing. If u think it is, take 1 an hr before u go do ur motos. I like to here how much better u road lol
Tim507
6/28/2014 9:02pm
ADHD here....only medication was self medication......I finally decided on staying busy as the best medicine...I can't sit still unless I'm fully engaged. Example..as long as moto is on TV I'm focused. Come the add I get up and clean, do laundry..work n my bike for a few minutes.....as I type this I'm watching the one-eyed monster and enjoying some Jameson..LOL.....give me a 3 hour race and I'm 100% focused as long as I'm on the gas.

At 62 I've developed all kinds of strategies to assist me...be it ....ADD .. ADHD .. all are over diagnosed yet to some extent a real issue.

Hmmmm...I'm single...hahahah a...think I'll start a ADDDDDHHHDDDADDD dating site. LOL
Hank_Thrill
6/28/2014 9:06pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2014 12:07pm
concussions can affect focus which could explain the late diagnosis. When I heard about the adderall thing, concussions were the first thing that popped into my mind. As fast as these guys are going and processing information on the track, I don't blame them (whoever else has a legal script) one bit for taking safety enhancing drugs. However, there are ways to enhance your focus naturally.

I'm a therapist and just diagnosed myself the other week after I met 80% criteria while performing an psychological assessment on a younger gentleman.

GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4002nd
6/28/2014 9:24pm
smeg wrote:
I thought it was odd also. Someone else mentioned this but not being able to focus/losing concentration is a sign you have had one too many...
I thought it was odd also. Someone else mentioned this but not being able to focus/losing concentration is a sign you have had one too many concussions. Talked about quite a bit with NFL players. One has to assume his doctors know what they are doing but why did he not have trouble focusing when he went 24-0 but now he does??? (also mentioned by someone else).

It is my understanding that ADD/ADHD is not something that manifests itself later in life. It is something you have from birth.

I thought it was a bit strange as well. We just got home from MuddyCreek & I'm watching the broadcast. I just saw the part where they read the statement that JS released this am saying that he was diagnosed in late 2012 for an attention disorder.

I recall some of the people that were "standing up for him" on here kept arguing that he has been taking it all his life for ADD, this is nothing new, he can't be punished for a script his Dr gave him, etc etc. Just every excuse possible to justify what was found in his system.
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
6/28/2014 9:28pm
concussions can affect focus which could explain the late diagnosis. When I heard about the adderall thing, concussions were the first thing that popped into my...
concussions can affect focus which could explain the late diagnosis. When I heard about the adderall thing, concussions were the first thing that popped into my mind. As fast as these guys are going and processing information on the track, I don't blame them (whoever else has a legal script) one bit for taking safety enhancing drugs. However, there are ways to enhance your focus naturally.

I'm a therapist and just diagnosed myself the other week after I met 80% criteria while performing an psychological assessment on a younger gentleman.

You have had several concussions?

Or are you saying the criteria for ADDHD is too lax?

Or are you making fun of people with a disability?

Not sure

PS
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
6/28/2014 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2014 9:40pm
smeg wrote:
I thought it was odd also. Someone else mentioned this but not being able to focus/losing concentration is a sign you have had one too many...

I thought it was a bit strange as well. We just got home from MuddyCreek & I'm watching the broadcast. I just saw the part where...
I thought it was a bit strange as well. We just got home from MuddyCreek & I'm watching the broadcast. I just saw the part where they read the statement that JS released this am saying that he was diagnosed in late 2012 for an attention disorder.

I recall some of the people that were "standing up for him" on here kept arguing that he has been taking it all his life for ADD, this is nothing new, he can't be punished for a script his Dr gave him, etc etc. Just every excuse possible to justify what was found in his system.
Smeg,

unless you have it , you can't possibly understand it. It sucks! Granted I have struggled with it my whole life,
not concussion related in my case, now as an adult with medication, things are better. Am I a pro-motocrosser?
No, but my medication makes my life more normal, less jumpy, I'm able to read technical articles though with out zoning out
(which is important in my line of work). . .It doesn't make me "superhuman" or give me super quick reflexes, but allows me
to better organize me thoughts.

Goon squad

I guess "excuse" and "reason" are synonymous in this argument?

Ps
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4002nd
6/28/2014 10:45pm
Smeg, unless you have it , you can't possibly understand it. It sucks! Granted I have struggled with it my whole life, not concussion related in...
Smeg,

unless you have it , you can't possibly understand it. It sucks! Granted I have struggled with it my whole life,
not concussion related in my case, now as an adult with medication, things are better. Am I a pro-motocrosser?
No, but my medication makes my life more normal, less jumpy, I'm able to read technical articles though with out zoning out
(which is important in my line of work). . .It doesn't make me "superhuman" or give me super quick reflexes, but allows me
to better organize me thoughts.

Goon squad

I guess "excuse" and "reason" are synonymous in this argument?

Ps
I wasn't trying to pin "excuse" on the situation because I don't know ALL the facts. But, being a fan of the sport & a lot of the riders, I can look at things objectively. I like JS7. I always have. He's a super talented rider. Its hard not to like watching him ride.

Unfortunately in this case, he made a bonehead move & so far all I've seen is the statements released by Suzuki, WADA & himself. 1 says he failed a drug test for a banned substance & the other 2 says basically he's fully cooperating. I just wonder what excuse people will make for him once the Lakewood results come back. If he failed, he probably "forgot" to fill out a TUE again & is supposed to be suspended. If he passes, then thats really going to look bad & not help his case that he's been on this stuff his whole life, which now he confirmed only since late 2012.

As much as some will ignore the facts of this or just refuse to believe that one of our top riders , our most polarizing athlete, James Mf'n Stewart would ever take anything that was remotely like a PED or recreational drug. I think a lot of people were shocked when they found out that our American hero Lance Armstrong was juicing. He was such a good guy & did a lot of fundraising for cancer.
APLMAN99
6/28/2014 11:02pm
43 or 44. Resisted meds for close to a year, but wish I hadn't. Looking back I'd say that it started to have a bigger effect on my life in my early 20s. I was bright enough through most of my schooling to get by without having to study too much, but after school was over it became much more difficult to concentrate on things that weren't interesting to me.
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
6/28/2014 11:11pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2014 11:16pm
Ok, I kinda see your point, but . . your "assuming" he WILL fail, or WILL NOT fail Lakewood, which is an expression of guilt either way, unfortunately it appears your mind is made up
He is condemned in your eyes.
Understandable as many people feel as you do.

I am unaware of any story or article that states "he has been on it his whole life" That I believe is also an assumption on your part.

I can try to understand where you are coming from, will you take a minute and try to see things from the other side?

You say it's a PED or recreational drug. Is it? ABSOLUTELY IT IS. . used in the wrong amounts, by the wrong people.

If, and I say If he truly is ADDHD and is prescribed a medication, is it a PED? Everyone who doesn't suffer from ADDHD is so quick to judge a man. . .Brother, it's hard. it's so frustrating the situations that people are put in. Everyone is expected to be able to concentrate, to read articles or texts, or other mental tasks without assistance. Some people just can't do that without medication.

Musquin in Racerxonline said that his knee hurts sometimes and he takes pain meds. . . are those peds also? of course they are. He also applied for a TUE and was granted, does it make it any less a ped?

Two things I ask of you. . .what if your son or daughter were diagnosed addhd? How would that affect your thinking?

Let's please just wait to judge a man, there will be time for that after all things shake out.

Second, How would you feel about having your medical information outed? It would suck man, that's why we have HIPPA laws.

Was the a slip up on the TUE? I dunno, that remains to be seen.

Was I surprised Armstrong was juicing? No, but I'm an old fart who's been around the block,>Cool

they were all juicing. You can be a juicer, or an addict, or an alcoholic, and still do wonderful things for mankind, that is also not surprising.

Am I disappointed? Angry Yes, absolutely. . .but I defer judgement to better, smarter people than me.Smile

if you are big fan, lets wait till facts come forth.

PEace man

PS

ForToo
6/29/2014 4:49am
I'll be 31 in September, haven't been diagnosed, or even talked to a doctor about it, but my family/friends/fiancé have all encouraged me to get assessed. I always thought I could trudge through it and stay away from prescriptions. After my last serious concussion, it's been increasingly difficult to focus. I'm calling the doc this week to discuss.
Crush
6/29/2014 5:23am
Grizz wrote:
I was around 13-15. Had to go through a few doctors before one of them diagnosed ADHD. Like motodog said above, changed my (young) life.
How old you now Grizz?

Curious. I work in medical arena, have read that there is another current of thinking gaining traction in europe that ADHD/ADD and a lot of behavioural issues in young kids can and should be treated by lifestyle, diet etc.

I don't have an opinion either way, tho I do think that a lot of Docs are quick to write scripts these days....
ky_savage
Fantasy
490th
6/29/2014 5:27am
I think I just diagnosed myself with ADD (lack of focus) with all these ADD threads popping up.
motodog621
6/29/2014 9:54am
Like several have said, had it my whole life- when I was diagnosed, it explained a lot! On meds for the last 10 years, life has improved so much it's hard to explain. It's actually easier to see as an adult- you have a lifetime of information to look at. With me it was very obvious. Blink
LoudLove
6/29/2014 10:15am
Several threads have postings from people who experienced significant improvement after their ADHD diagnosis and medications. Many folks indicate that the meds make them feel "normal" while alleviating the symptoms of a hyperactive brain. Subsequently the ADHD sufferer's "performance" improved, producing a better quality of life.

Stewart may have been diagnosed by a physician and prescribed ADHD medication in late 2012. However, James has raced as a professional since 2002, acquiring most of his wins and all of his titles prior to 2012. One of WADA's guidelines in approving a TUE revolves around the athlete's reliance on the medication, i.e. is it a medical necessity. James' previous successes may ultimately become his biggest challenge in fighting WADA and FIM.
Hank_Thrill
6/29/2014 1:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2014 1:12pm
You have had several concussions? Or are you saying the criteria for ADDHD is too lax? Or are you making fun of people with a disability...
You have had several concussions?

Or are you saying the criteria for ADDHD is too lax?

Or are you making fun of people with a disability?

Not sure

PS
Sorry, for the confusion.

I have had several concussions that were all over ten years ago. I meant, when I heard about the James Stewart adderall thing, I wondered if he was prescribed it to help with concentration that may be related to his history of concussions. It was just one of my first thoughts when I heard about it, nothing more. From a safety standpoint, I'm not going to cast any stones at a rider enhancing their concentration while practicing a life threatening sport.

I am in no way making fun of people with a disability. In fact, I have a disability that screwed up my education all the way through high school (vestibular migaines). I was just poking fun at myself. One of my former psychology professors and friend told me I was on the ADHD spectrum a while back. I've had co-workers joke around about having the doctor prescribe me Adderall. Thus, when the OP asked, "How old were you when you got diagnosed?" I jokingly stated, basically last week when I met 80% of the criteria while performing an ADHD assessment on someone else (which I really did).

Regarding ADHD criteria. I wasn't making any statement about it being too lax, or strict. One thing about the criteria though, is that it is symptom based. Meaning, the symptoms can be expressed due to various root causes. For example, sometimes children are diagnosed ADHD, when really anxiety is the underlying driving factor in their inability to concentrate. Diet can even play a part, which is the reason why Europe has banned certain foods we still allow here in America. I'm not denying an organic/biological cause. I have worked with many kids with very severe ADHD issues, which were biological in nature. I'm just saying the cluster of symptoms can have different sources.

Shawn142
6/29/2014 1:34pm
I was diagnoised at 27. U can be diagnosed at any age. Its so funny how much people blew this outta proportion,really shows how stupid the...
I was diagnoised at 27. U can be diagnosed at any age. Its so funny how much people blew this outta proportion,really shows how stupid the american public really are! If it wasnt for google the general public our a bunch of morons. Js7 is wrong for not telling the fim that he was on a prescribed med. And if he is on a prescribed med for add, every hater can go scratch.lol so funny to how people think adderal is performance enhancing. If u think it is, take 1 an hr before u go do ur motos. I like to here how much better u road lol
Adderall isn't performance enhancing? I imagine the difference on a track is minimal, but I was surrounded by kids who abused the stuff in college to get by while cramming for tests and finals. They didn't take it for nothing, and it certainly wasn't for ADD.

Post a reply to: Average age of ADD diagnosis???

The Latest