Australia guys

rallendude
9/9/2013 7:55am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2013 12:14am
Any of you Australians out there want to help a brother out? It looks like I'm heading to Australia possibly as early as next week to look at coal mining equipment. Definitely some time in the next three weeks. Anyway, I'd love to find a place to get a ride in while there. Could be moto or just an off-road ride. I'll probably only have one day to do it and I don't know which day that will be yet. Any of you guys know a good moto vacation rental type company there? I probably won't be able to carry much, if any gear with me either.

I've always thought it would be cool to get to ride in Australia. If you know of a good option, let me know.
|
robbo335
9/9/2013 6:31pm
where a bouts in australia are you going to be.
9/9/2013 7:22pm
robbo335 wrote:
where a bouts in australia are you going to be.
Yeah that would help cause it's a big place. I'm guessing either Queensland or Hunter Valley NSW. And your size too.
rallendude
9/10/2013 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2013 3:10pm
I really don't know yet. We're waiting on a supplier to tell us where we'll be going to see the equipment. It's longwall mining equipment and looking on the 'net for longwall mining in Australia, they all seem to be up the coast of Queensland. There appears to be one mine in the Perth area and a couple in the Sydney area. I'm guessing it will be Queensland.

I'm a 5'-9" 200 pounder. That's probably 91 kilo. XL jersey, 36-38 pant, 10 US boot, M helmet, XL glove.

I'll post more as I know more. As the days go by it may be pushed back a week or two.
9/10/2013 5:00pm
What supplier? Caterpillar underground, JoyGlobal and Valley Longwall International are all based in the Hunter Valley where there are 15-20 UG mines. Best bet is to talk to the miners. If you got a company credit card and take the boys drinking, you'll go riding for sure. Plenty of guys your size underground.

The Shop

rallendude
9/10/2013 5:09pm
We do business with all of those guys but I'm going to evaluate an Eickhoff Longwall shearer.

I'm just hoping to set up something before I go. It may all fall through but I don't want to miss an opportunity for not trying
9/10/2013 5:25pm
My guess would be Wollongong then which has the Mt Kembla track. As I said, a little bit of lubrication goes along way in Australia. Hope you like rum and cola also. haha. You may be too sick to ride!
rallendude
9/10/2013 7:29pm
I'll find some way to socialize. I'm actually a Baptist Minister so I won't be buying drinks but I do speak fluent moto.
9/11/2013 3:18am
Fair enough then. Was raised baptist myself although not as devout as you I'll be guessing. Let me know how you go and PM me some details. I have a few upper management contacts at the other suppliers that we may be able to influence in going for a ride with you being a buyer an all. I'd also advise sticking to the management types cause the miners here are a fairly hard and hairy bunch if you know what I mean.
Moto619
9/11/2013 3:35am
Rallendude I live and ride in the wollongong area and work underground. I'm an electrician U/G.. If you are coming to the Dendrobium pit there's a few lads and one in the longwall dept that speak fluent moto and also drink. PM me if your heading this way we will sort you out for a ride..
Moto619
9/11/2013 3:39am
Hey Underground are you in Australia?
rallendude
9/11/2013 4:38am
Sounds good guys. I'll be back in touch with PMs and/or email when my travel plans are solid.
rallendude
9/12/2013 2:10pm
Hey guys. It looks like this trip is on. We'll be flying into Mackay, Queensland Monday morning some time. We don't currently have plans next week for Tuesday or Friday. If you know of anything in the area for an off-road or motocross ride that would be great. Even some place to rent a ride would be good. It may not work out at all but if possible, that would make a very cool trip.

I've dropped a note on our vendor rep so we'll see what he comes up with. We'll be in Oaky North. I read some internet reports they had a layoff there about 6 months ago. Last thing we need is to walk across a picket line just to look at some mining equipment.
9/12/2013 2:55pm
It would be more to do with the down turn here in coal exports at the moment so you should be OK with industrial action. The arse has fallen out of the market here and a lot of guys have been layed off. Mostly contractors that came on for the boom. Me included.
tobz
9/12/2013 8:11pm
It would be more to do with the down turn here in coal exports at the moment so you should be OK with industrial action. The...
It would be more to do with the down turn here in coal exports at the moment so you should be OK with industrial action. The arse has fallen out of the market here and a lot of guys have been layed off. Mostly contractors that came on for the boom. Me included.
You'd think things would eventually start to pickup now that the new government is starting to get settled, including scrapping the carbon tax.
Whitey
9/12/2013 11:08pm
It would be more to do with the down turn here in coal exports at the moment so you should be OK with industrial action. The...
tobz wrote:
You'd think things would eventually start to pickup now that the new government is starting to get settled, including scrapping the carbon tax.
That Tax doesnt get scrapped until next July i think, if and that is a big if, the new pack of cunts in control live up to their word. And seeing as they are Poloiticians i wouldnt expect them to live up to it!

Have fun down here Rallendude, hope you can manage to get a squirt in.
9/13/2013 12:53am
Seeing it start to pick up a little. Had interview today for underground diesel fitter position and medical next week so that's a start!
Heard the libs are already going to raise the debt ceiling so that goes against everything they said. I never voted for the fuckers even if a change was required. Just watch the cuts start to public funding. TAFE teachers for my mechanical engineering course say fees will jump from $1200 to over a $10,000 next apparently. trying to privatise the sector.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2779th
9/13/2013 1:26am
Dafuq, TAFE don't do Mechanical Engineering?
HenryA
9/13/2013 1:31am
No one up north in Townsville? Unsure
9/13/2013 1:41am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
Dafuq, TAFE don't do Mechanical Engineering?
Dafuq they do! Certificate III, diploma and Advanced diploma. just not a degree or PHD. TAFE is a more hands on learning and more practical where university is more in depth and theory based. You can use TAFE as RPL towards a Uni degree also.
NSW TAFE Engineering courses
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
9/13/2013 1:43am Edited Date/Time 9/13/2013 1:48am
Yeah bud. Hunter Valley
Have you been to the Singleton track..?
9/13/2013 9:27am
Yeah bud. Hunter Valley
EZZA 95B wrote:
Have you been to the Singleton track..?
Not for couple of years but yeah. It's not a national grade track by any standard but as log as you remember that, it's quite OK if youknow what I mean.
rallendude
9/17/2013 12:14am
Hey guys. My visit has been re-arranged a little. Looks like I'm leaving the Queensland area tomorrow mid-day and headed to NSW for Sydney. Sounds like we're staying near the opera house. I think we'll be traveling out to Seven Hills to visit Eickhoff's rebuild facility.

Still would love to find a ride maybe Thursday late or Friday some time. We fly out Saturday afternoon around 2pm so I'll need to be at the airport at noon I suppose.

Post a reply to: Australia guys

The Latest