Austin Stroupe

The Rock
1/21/2011 9:44am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2011 9:44am
The question is not if he rides this weekend but if he has recovered enough to make the main after racing in the heat race.

So far he's taken 20th place money in the main twice without turning a wheel in the main. This IMO is a rule that needs to be changed NOW. If I was a privateer without my own SX track I for sure would want to ride the main event even if it was for zero dollars....I'd let Austin keep his money but give me the starting position.
ocscottie
1/21/2011 9:52am
armbelgie wrote:
I dont get it ...does he rides this weekend ? i dont see any interviews or news about him .

They did put out a PR at A1 about him probably not being able to race the main, but going to give it a go in the heats. I guess his shoulder just cant hang on for a full 20.
RaceFace
1/21/2011 10:01am
The Rock wrote:
The question is not if he rides this weekend but if he has recovered enough to make the main after racing in the heat race. So...
The question is not if he rides this weekend but if he has recovered enough to make the main after racing in the heat race.

So far he's taken 20th place money in the main twice without turning a wheel in the main. This IMO is a rule that needs to be changed NOW. If I was a privateer without my own SX track I for sure would want to ride the main event even if it was for zero dollars....I'd let Austin keep his money but give me the starting position.
I agree about qualifying and not starting, but he didn't raced at all at A1 (heats) or at least he didn't qualify. Tommy Hahn was 20th at A1.
VOODOO27
1/21/2011 10:31am
The Rock wrote:
The question is not if he rides this weekend but if he has recovered enough to make the main after racing in the heat race. So...

Not true Rock, he's taken 20th place money once... he didn't race the heat race at A1. He just earned a qualifying spot to race in the "Show". Would it silence the detractors if he (or any other racer in this position) spun around a couple of laps of the main then pulled off? Or, would some of them say if he doesn't intend on being out there for all 20 laps, he should give his spot and points up completely? Or, should every racer sign a contract stating that IF they qualify for the heats or main they have to race them, no matter what?

He's brought up two scenarios... laying down a lap time fast enough to make the night show... but not racing at all.... and, in Phoenix, earning a qualifying in his heat race... but not making it out there to race the main. How do you propose each scenario is handled?

It not as cut and dry as give it to the 1st guy to finsh out of qualifying. Too many what ifs.

I'm happy to see Austin getting time on the tracks. I'd rather have watched Stroupe (who qualified 7th fastest at PHX) steal that holeshot in his heat race, pull that 3rd ahead of RD5, then to have a guy who barley squeaked into the heats with the 41st fastest qualifying time, finish in the back of that pack of his heat and LCQ, just to fill the gate... to give everyone warm and fuzzies, like there's some sort of injustice taken part in the sport with this issue. Like any of us, except for family and friends would care that the guy on bike 479 who qualified 41st, finished 17th in the LCQ, and got to put in a few laps that night on a real SX track.

I guess we could work on Supercross and motocross being a politically correct sport, to keep the younger less experienced guys from having their feelings hurt... or they could go home, bust their butts, and earn that qualifying spot on their own, without it being a handout Smile

The Shop

burnside
1/21/2011 10:33am
Stroupe is exciting. I'm a fan, he has the raw speed to run with the top 5. Looking forward to see how his season goes.
Alizee
1/21/2011 10:37am
If by some miracle Ryan Clark qualifies for any of the remaining races, we need him to promise to not line up for the mains.

Highsider
1/21/2011 10:40am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2011 10:41am
burnside wrote:
Stroupe is exciting. I'm a fan, he has the raw speed to run with the top 5. Looking forward to see how his season goes.
I am with you, on this one.
He was pretty exciting to watch last year at the first few, on the 450.
burnside
1/21/2011 11:23am
Yeah and just think, most of us would consider Poucel a podium threat (at least), and Stroupe was right on his tail before he bust his shoulder.
mxb2
1/21/2011 11:35am
Let him heal a few more weeks, he s an easy top 10!
RaceFace
1/21/2011 11:43am
The Rock wrote:

VOODOO27 wrote:
Not true Rock, he's taken 20th place money once... he didn't race the heat race at A1. He just earned a qualifying spot to race in...
Not true Rock, he's taken 20th place money once... he didn't race the heat race at A1. He just earned a qualifying spot to race in the "Show". Would it silence the detractors if he (or any other racer in this position) spun around a couple of laps of the main then pulled off? Or, would some of them say if he doesn't intend on being out there for all 20 laps, he should give his spot and points up completely? Or, should every racer sign a contract stating that IF they qualify for the heats or main they have to race them, no matter what?

He's brought up two scenarios... laying down a lap time fast enough to make the night show... but not racing at all.... and, in Phoenix, earning a qualifying in his heat race... but not making it out there to race the main. How do you propose each scenario is handled?

It not as cut and dry as give it to the 1st guy to finsh out of qualifying. Too many what ifs.

I'm happy to see Austin getting time on the tracks. I'd rather have watched Stroupe (who qualified 7th fastest at PHX) steal that holeshot in his heat race, pull that 3rd ahead of RD5, then to have a guy who barley squeaked into the heats with the 41st fastest qualifying time, finish in the back of that pack of his heat and LCQ, just to fill the gate... to give everyone warm and fuzzies, like there's some sort of injustice taken part in the sport with this issue. Like any of us, except for family and friends would care that the guy on bike 479 who qualified 41st, finished 17th in the LCQ, and got to put in a few laps that night on a real SX track.

I guess we could work on Supercross and motocross being a politically correct sport, to keep the younger less experienced guys from having their feelings hurt... or they could go home, bust their butts, and earn that qualifying spot on their own, without it being a handout Smile

With the DNSing the main event, give the spot to the 3rd place rider in the LCQ. If the injured guy doesn't plan on riding the heat, move the qualifier that just missed the cut into the heats.

Why would it be the guy in the back of the pack in the LCQ? Your example is the 17th place rider in the LCQ. That would be a handout and a bizarre one at that. But it isn't a handout if it is taking the very next fastest guy available and putting him in. The idea of the qualifying and heats is to fill the gate with the best riders there that night. If someone is too injured to race the main, that is fine, but don't waste the position on the gate completely.
1/21/2011 11:55am
Alizee wrote:
If by some miracle Ryan Clark qualifies for any of the remaining races, we need him to promise to not line up for the mains.

lol
VOODOO27
1/21/2011 12:25pm
RaceFace wrote:
With the DNSing the main event, give the spot to the 3rd place rider in the LCQ. If the injured guy doesn't plan on riding the...
With the DNSing the main event, give the spot to the 3rd place rider in the LCQ. If the injured guy doesn't plan on riding the heat, move the qualifier that just missed the cut into the heats.

Why would it be the guy in the back of the pack in the LCQ? Your example is the 17th place rider in the LCQ. That would be a handout and a bizarre one at that. But it isn't a handout if it is taking the very next fastest guy available and putting him in. The idea of the qualifying and heats is to fill the gate with the best riders there that night. If someone is too injured to race the main, that is fine, but don't waste the position on the gate completely.
Not as bizarre as you think... Smile for the 17th place in the LCQ, I was was referring to Austin qualifying for A1, but him deciding to not race the heats. Filling his vacant spot would have been the 41 fastest qualifier for the night show... thus most like a back of the pack guy. I get it, that the 3rd place finisher in the LCQ would be faster then that, replacing a racer who made the main but wasn't going to race it... sorry for not being clear on that, and sounding like a delusional drunk fool, on a Friday morning Smile

Why not give it to the guy that finished 10th in the heat race, instead on the LCQ 3rd place guy? Why not draw a name out of a hat? Why not leave it the way it is? How soon should a racer notify the AMA that they're not going to make the main? Will there be a point penalty? Should the 3rd and 4th place LCQ finishers prep their bikes and gear to be ready to race up until the parade lap, and stand down once they realize there's no one to replace?

Post a reply to: Austin Stroupe

The Latest