Fantasy
767th
Edited Date/Time 5/1/2016 3:40am
|
Stoop
Fantasy
767th
4/30/2016 6:57pm
MX1 bout to kick off Metcalfe, Ferris, Waters, Reardon, Moss, Bopping, Gibbs fields stacked
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
4/30/2016 6:59pm
Ive got a question. It appears as though there is a lot of land that is sparsely populated. So, are the majority of races within a manageable distance to each other? For instance, having races on the east side and then going to the west coast seems like that would be difficult.
Crush
4/30/2016 7:03pm
kzizok wrote:
Ive got a question. It appears as though there is a lot of land that is sparsely populated. So, are the majority of races within a...
Ive got a question. It appears as though there is a lot of land that is sparsely populated. So, are the majority of races within a manageable distance to each other? For instance, having races on the east side and then going to the west coast seems like that would be difficult.
Short answer. There are less people here than in LA and...

The Shop

Crush
4/30/2016 7:06pm
This race is in Missouri, Last week in North Carolina, there will be one in ontario, one in Oklahoma and I think LA too.

About the same as US, just no people to justify or pay for real infrastructure!
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
4/30/2016 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2016 7:57pm
kzizok wrote:
Ive got a question. It appears as though there is a lot of land that is sparsely populated. So, are the majority of races within a...
Crush wrote:
Short answer. There are less people here than in LA and... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/04/30/133531/s1200_8c239c347ea25461785906b4b4f64f0f.jpg[/img]
Short answer. There are less people here than in LA and...

The map that you show is like one I have seen recently. The size comparison is what made me ask, along with what looks like a lot "outback" to the west. Also, I assumed that those areas could not have very many people. In other words, huge amounts of land with a very small amount of people.

Great explanation with US states as comparison.
Crush
4/30/2016 7:11pm
Yep, literally 90% of people on the coast and I'd guess 85% of them on the east coast... "outback" starts about Nashville inwards on the east coast and pretty much immediately everywhere else haha
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
4/30/2016 7:13pm
Also, I heard the say the name Dean Ferris. Isnt he the one that went headless at a fairly recent MXoN?
Crush
4/30/2016 7:18pm
Headless?

He did well in Germany on the 3 speed Yamaha or whatever it was, Husky for a couple years since, back to Aus now for Yamaha.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
4/30/2016 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2016 7:24pm
What I mean by headless is an unusual imcrease in performance/result. In other words, like he rode out of his mind.

I think it was Deutchland. Even thought he may have gotten a holeshot, or two.
tmx860
4/30/2016 7:48pm
kzizok wrote:
What I mean by headless is an unusual imcrease in performance/result. In other words, like he rode out of his mind. I think it was Deutchland...
What I mean by headless is an unusual imcrease in performance/result. In other words, like he rode out of his mind.

2013 MXdN Teutschenthal
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
4/30/2016 7:56pm
kzizok wrote:
What I mean by headless is an unusual imcrease in performance/result. In other words, like he rode out of his mind. I think it was Deutchland...

Aye, he had good form leading up to that. Won 3 of the last 6 motos in MX2 that year
Crush
4/30/2016 8:16pm
Never heard that expression before.

He was on a definite upswing at the end of that year, and that bike worked for him.

Pity he's had some injury woes, he can motor.
Stoop
Fantasy
767th
4/30/2016 8:35pm
Will be interesting to see who makes the mxon team this year, is Hunter Lawrence eligable or is he too young?
Crush
4/30/2016 8:43pm
Stoop wrote:
Will be interesting to see who makes the mxon team this year, is Hunter Lawrence eligable or is he too young?
Is he the older or younger one? Isn't the older one in Europe now?
Stoop
Fantasy
767th
4/30/2016 8:59pm
younger is Jett older is Hunter, both in Europe.

If you can some how, watch the Emx race from Latvia that was on last night, Hunter is an absolute demon
JB479
4/30/2016 9:08pm
Hunter would be eligible to race MXON. Herlings and Roczen race it when they were 15. It would be silly not to pick him.

I'd like to see Ward have a crack over there. He style would suit those rough sand tracks.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
4/30/2016 9:24pm
Wow Crusher, that's really interesting seeing that overlay.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
5/1/2016 1:54am
Probably the first time in a long time that our MXoN selectors will be looking mainly at the Aussie Championship to pick the team.

The only two international riders that could get a look in over the riders here are Chad and Hunter.

Hunter with being based in Europe racing for a first class team and already showing awesome results in the EMX will put im in with a great chance, if he races a few MX2 races and is right up the front good chance he gets the gig, if not it will be hard not to choose our national MX2 champ.

Then again, I just forgot about Mellross and Clout, they could be in the running with a good U.S outdoor season!

MX1 and Open will either go to our top two national riders or our National Champ and Reed.

Any combination of Reed, Gibbs, Ferris, Waters or Moss as our MX1 / MX Open would be a strong team for 2017. Could throw Metty in the Mix but our regular local guys seem to have him covered for the most part at the moment, he did pick up a moto win at round two though.

Strange but for the first time in 14-15 years we might have a genuine generation change when it comes to Australia's first choice picks for the MXoN!
Crush
5/1/2016 2:09am
I'd pick Metty, Ferris and Lawrence.

Can't beat international experience and Ferris still has more balls out speed than the other guys which you need in that one-off event.
Bearuno
5/1/2016 2:15am
Few , even of Us Australians, realize the size of our continent, and the sparse population of it.

With regards to that 'map on map' layover - the 'outback' starts long before Nashville . Somewhere between Charlotte and Atlanta in relation to those maps, I'd say

A mate of mine, years ago, bought a fruit farm in Orange, at the base of Mount Canolobas . I'd ride my dirt bike via dirt roads / trails out there from my place (fantastic ride, that still would be possible) - about 250ks. It's a car drive of just over 3.5hrs from Sydney, with a good run of traffic. Mount Canobolas is not much more than a worn down hill, but, it's the highest point from there through to South Africa, all the way across the Indian Ocean. From the top of the 'mountain', on a clear day, looking West, you see the farm land change, a few Ks by a few Ks, to dry land that is technically called desert. We are on a bloody big, very dry Island, and, only a few weeks ago, we reach a population 'high' of 24 million.

The place is enormous, but, being, as we always have been, with no real thought given to our future by every bloody Government we've ever had, a primary producer Nation, we won't be able to 'go big' on population, if we are to keep living standards up, and, continue to sell our primary products to a very hungry - for minerals and food - World.

We've been one of, if not The most urbanized country in the world, since Federation. We are not a land of bushies like some seem to think we are.

Sydney, is an enormous, spread out 'city' (of a huge amount of suburbs that are ever expanding outwards) - it's classified as a megacity, by many - we certainly do pack ourselves together. Clinging to the coast, for the most part. Yet, we still can have bush fires that get to within about 10 Ks from the Sydney CBD.

It's a great Country - despite what some drongos think. Every time I go away, and come back, it's with ever more appreciation for how lucky I, and blokes like Crush are. We , for the most part, don't know how just good we've got it.

I missed today's Nationals live - I was too busy, finishing off a frame, then getting my CRE out of my workshop, kicking it over, and going up my street, into the the Blue Mountains, for an all day ride. I can't ever imagine being one of those poor bastards who have to load up their bike to go for a ride - that, would suck.
Crush
5/1/2016 2:23am
I grew up near Bathurst and Orange Bearuno, that's not outback, it's not even bush! The back of my folks farm near the upper Turon starts getting a bit sparse but it's pretty fine till you go past Parkes etc...
Bearuno
5/1/2016 3:40am
Crush wrote:
I grew up near Bathurst and Orange Bearuno, that's not outback, it's not even bush! The back of my folks farm near the upper Turon starts...
I grew up near Bathurst and Orange Bearuno, that's not outback, it's not even bush! The back of my folks farm near the upper Turon starts getting a bit sparse but it's pretty fine till you go past Parkes etc...
Upper Turon ? - that's out by Sofala / Wattle Flats - that's a little bit north east of Orange - used to ride in that area quite a bit as trails / camping, and, had a longer Northwest then South route through the BMs / Newnes, sometimes up to Mudgee (My brother owns a fair bit of land there) out to Dubbo, then down through to Hill End or Sofala, to Orange - though, quite a few times looping out to Condobolin back through Parkes. I know what is a fairly narrow part of my state. There's a hell of a lot more, just to our State of NSW, out from Orange / Parkes / Condo.

By European, agronomic standards , it gets into 'desert' designation, pretty bloody quickly, Crush. 'Desert', in terms of agricultural / arid lands, can be far from the sands of Sahara / The Stuart / Simpson Desert, etc.

Just trying to give some of these people an idea of how narrow our green belt is. As I said, up on the lookout / trig station, on a clear day on Mt Canobolas, you see the drying of the land, step by step, very visibly. I've taken Foreigners (and, well, Sydney-ites) out there, and it's been quite a surprise to them. Yes, further out, we have greenery, but it largely comes down to the few rivers we have, and, irrigation.

By the same token, every year, I can ride a few times in the snow, less than 40ks away from me, but, the vast majority of people, have no idea that it snows so close to Sydney. That, surprises many - especially 'locals'.

A vast land of mind boggling contrasts. And, a vast amount of contrast, only a few miles from where most of us live.

Ever been out to Lake Eyre? - classified as one of the driest places on Earth , meters below sea level- but, weirdly enough, the last two times I've been out there, it has been a bloody great big Lake. Somewhere around 10K square miles of it. Things are getting stranger by the day, it seems. I consider myself lucky to have been there when it's been filled.

Post a reply to: Aussie Nats Live

The Latest