Attn:Scottie and other paraplegic riders here.

RandyS
10/20/2015 10:08am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2015 8:00am
Have you seen this, it looks like it's not yet for sale but looks like it's close.
https://youtu.be/zgat4a1TrEM
|
hvaughn88
10/20/2015 10:24am
That's pretty damn cool technology. My thesis in college was based on wheelchair technology so things like this always catch my attention
Andrew337
10/20/2015 10:53am
I like it. I know that on typical wheelchairs uneven ground is difficult because the front casters are so small, so the chairs are designed with the CG pretty far back, allowing you to wheelie and lift the casters over things. Of course having the CG so far back makes the chair sort of unstable in regards to tipping backwards. This is one of the first designs I've seen that addresses this inherent design challenge with the common wheelchair. And having your hands free to do things other than propel yourself is a huge advantage. Ever since my girlfriend got hurt I've felt like my hands have been full, since she can't really carry things and push herself at the same time, so I carry it all.

Of course the big drawback is that it is bulky and heavy compared to a manual chair. My girlfriend drives a normal car with hand controls added. There's no way could she transfer to the drivers seat and then somehow load this chair into the car by herself. But for others that are already used to larger power chairs, this thing could add a lot of freedom! I could see this being great for quadriplegics, provided they have enough core muscles to control it.
Troy
10/20/2015 10:59am
That is pretty cool technology.

Do you guys that are paraplegic still ride? And if so, what type of riding do you do?

I have a muscle disease that has made my legs damn near useless. I haven't had a dirt bike since 2007. I see things online (Doug Henry for instance) that show guys riding with big roll cages on their bikes. Do you guys still do it? I can't imagine setting up the suspension to properly soak up bumps etc while having to sit down constantly.
hvaughn88
10/20/2015 11:13am
Troy wrote:
That is pretty cool technology. Do you guys that are paraplegic still ride? And if so, what type of riding do you do? I have a...

Do you guys that are paraplegic still ride? And if so, what type of riding do you do?

I have a muscle disease that has made my legs damn near useless. I haven't had a dirt bike since 2007. I see things online (Doug Henry for instance) that show guys riding with big roll cages on their bikes. Do you guys still do it? I can't imagine setting up the suspension to properly soak up bumps etc while having to sit down constantly.
I wonder if you could do sort of a "suspension within the suspension." What I mean is, build suspension within the seat mounting that compliments the bike's shock but is also independent of the shock. Similar to the company that is building the bar mounts with suspension on them that in turn mounts to the forks. Does that make sense, haha?

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
10/20/2015 11:22am
This is cool, but of course it all depends on the level of injury, and how much core function they have.
TailSoHard
10/20/2015 11:48am
GuyB wrote:
This is cool, but of course it all depends on the level of injury, and how much core function they have.
Yep, this is very true. I have an uncle who's a paraplegic and I also work pretty closely with a local business that does conversions for us on ATVs and UTVs and they've all said the same thing. No two injuries are the same. And if they are, they've happened to two completely different people, so they almost never require the same care and treatment.

Still, this is a fantastic idea and looks like it would bring a lot of joy into people's lives. That's what it's all about. I like it
TailSoHard
10/20/2015 11:49am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I wonder if you could do sort of a "suspension within the suspension." What I mean is, build suspension within the seat mounting that compliments the...
I wonder if you could do sort of a "suspension within the suspension." What I mean is, build suspension within the seat mounting that compliments the bike's shock but is also independent of the shock. Similar to the company that is building the bar mounts with suspension on them that in turn mounts to the forks. Does that make sense, haha?
Like an old springer seat from a motorcycle or bicycle?
hvaughn88
10/20/2015 11:55am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I wonder if you could do sort of a "suspension within the suspension." What I mean is, build suspension within the seat mounting that compliments the...
TailSoHard wrote:
Like an old springer seat from a motorcycle or bicycle?
Similar. Just take it a bit further and go with a hydraulic shock(s). Similar to the neken triple clamps.
RandyS
10/20/2015 12:01pm
Troy wrote:
That is pretty cool technology. Do you guys that are paraplegic still ride? And if so, what type of riding do you do? I have a...

I didn't mean actually ride now, I just consider everyone here riders whether it's been 20 minutes or 20 years. I thought it looked better.
TailSoHard
10/20/2015 1:07pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Similar. Just take it a bit further and go with a hydraulic shock(s). Similar to the neken triple clamps.
Oh I gotcha, yeah that would be pretty cool!
cz2crf2wc
10/21/2015 10:52am
GuyB wrote:
The level makes all the difference. Being paralyzed from the chest down or waist down is a huge difference. This chair is like a Segway and requires lower stomach muscles.
cz2crf2wc
10/21/2015 10:55am

This is a chair I use to get around in the dirt at work.

JB 19
10/21/2015 11:38am
I know an old buddy who has leg and back problems from a freestyle crash. He has a very hard time walking. He converted a segway to be able to sit on it. This looks very similar to what he has.
iBobbyb
10/21/2015 11:40am
Troy wrote:

10/21/2015 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2015 4:40pm
Hi everyone, my name is Chet, I created Wheelchair Modz after a bad get-off. I build Gas-Powered Chairs. Check me out for you or someone you know at www.wheelchairmodz.com or on facebook. Thanks!
slipdog
10/21/2015 4:13pm
Hi everyone, my name is Chet, I created Wheelchair Modz after a bad get-off. I build Gas-Powered Chairs. Check me out for you or someone you...
Hi everyone, my name is Chet, I created Wheelchair Modz after a bad get-off. I build Gas-Powered Chairs. Check me out for you or someone you know at www.wheelchairmodz.com or on facebook. Thanks!
I think I've seen photos of your chairs online before from the Pala national? Also your link is half website half email so it no worky, needs a .com
10/21/2015 4:43pm
Hi everyone, my name is Chet, I created Wheelchair Modz after a bad get-off. I build Gas-Powered Chairs. Check me out for you or someone you...
slipdog wrote:
I think I've seen photos of your chairs online before from the Pala national? Also your link is half website half email so it no worky...
I think I've seen photos of your chairs online before from the Pala national? Also your link is half website half email so it no worky, needs a .com
Yes probably, Thanks for the heads up!
FIREfish148
10/21/2015 5:09pm
Is oc alright? I saw he was under the weather for the weekly social scoop.
Sully
10/21/2015 5:41pm
All of these chairs are pretty damn cool, but I have a question for you, Chet: Looking at the pics on your site, it looks like you have short suspension on the front, but none on the back. How do you ride off road without feeling like your going to shit out your kidneys after 10 minutes?
10/21/2015 7:44pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2015 7:45pm
Sully wrote:
All of these chairs are pretty damn cool, but I have a question for you, Chet: Looking at the pics on your site, it looks like...
All of these chairs are pretty damn cool, but I have a question for you, Chet: Looking at the pics on your site, it looks like you have short suspension on the front, but none on the back. How do you ride off road without feeling like your going to shit out your kidneys after 10 minutes?
Hi Sully,

The chair has about 4" of wheel travel in the front and has a rear swingarm with a little more. I can moto that thing all day! Getting a KX250f chair together right now. That will have about 6" front and rear. Going to be wicked!
Sully
10/21/2015 8:25pm
Hi Sully, The chair has about 4" of wheel travel in the front and has a rear swingarm with a little more. I can moto that...
Hi Sully,

The chair has about 4" of wheel travel in the front and has a rear swingarm with a little more. I can moto that thing all day! Getting a KX250f chair together right now. That will have about 6" front and rear. Going to be wicked!
That's awesome, man! Good luck!
hvaughn88
10/21/2015 8:36pm
Sully wrote:
All of these chairs are pretty damn cool, but I have a question for you, Chet: Looking at the pics on your site, it looks like...
Hi Sully, The chair has about 4" of wheel travel in the front and has a rear swingarm with a little more. I can moto that...
Hi Sully,

That sounds really badass! If you happen to take any footage or photos of the build process, I'd be stoked to get to see them! Hope the build goes well man!
jeffro503
10/22/2015 12:31am
Scottie will end up getting one of these and we'll see him competing in the redbull rampage within the next year! Laughing Seriously , Scottie would probably ride the wheels off something like that! If that company was smart , they would hire Scottie to do all the offraod testing as I'm sure he would beat the living shit out of it!
jeffro503
10/22/2015 12:34am
Sully wrote:
Hi Sully,

Holy shit Chet ,that freakin' awesome! Please share all the info you can on this project. And way to keep yourself busy man!
PressPassP
10/22/2015 2:42am
GuyB wrote:
cz2crf2wc wrote:
The level makes all the difference. Being paralyzed from the chest down or waist down is a huge difference. This chair is like a Segway and...
The level makes all the difference. Being paralyzed from the chest down or waist down is a huge difference. This chair is like a Segway and requires lower stomach muscles.
Yes as a C6/C7 i often look at these with a little bit of envy,not enough trunk strength and balance, whats your level?
cz2crf2wc
10/22/2015 7:03am
GuyB wrote:
cz2crf2wc wrote:
The level makes all the difference. Being paralyzed from the chest down or waist down is a huge difference. This chair is like a Segway and...
PressPassP wrote:
Yes as a C6/C7 i often look at these with a little bit of envy,not enough trunk strength and balance, whats your level?
I'm C3 C4
PressPassP
10/22/2015 8:00am
cz2crf2wc wrote:
PressPassP wrote:
cz2crf2wc wrote:
I'm C3 C4
Damn,you'll know all about being top heavy then,it sucks eh!

Post a reply to: Attn:Scottie and other paraplegic riders here.

The Latest