Attn DC... No more drop off jumps

davis224
Fantasy
165th
7/4/2010 6:25am
Putting a slight angle on it so it still feels like a straight drop at speed, but capable of being rolled sounds like a simple fix to me.
Racer111
7/4/2010 6:27am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2010 6:28am
moto116 wrote:
We all know about Grant Langston at Budds Creek endoing because he forgot the jump was a drop off on the parade lap. That could have...
We all know about Grant Langston at Budds Creek endoing because he forgot the jump was a drop off on the parade lap. That could have been much worse than it was.

Today at Red Bud, I saw two more instances that could have been very bad.
1) Doc Bodnar drove his mule off the drop off that was right after the start. I watched him completely roll the thing and he was shaken up pretty bad. Had that mule not had a roll cage on it, that would have been extremely serious injury/death.
2) During qualifying, a rider's bike blew up right before the drop off after the big bowl turn and he endoed his bike off the drop off. He was ok, but it could have been bad.

Sooner of later these drop off jumps are going to cause serious injury, riders can't roll the jump which makes it extremely dangerous. I suggest all drop off jumps be removed from tracks...they look cool but are unsafe.

Just my opinion, tear it up if you want.
If you want to keep them, which I think is ok, why cant we have the structures like the "Lucas Oil Leap" and finish line jump on them. It can say "Drop Off" on the racing side as riders approach and the "Sponsor Logo" on the other side for TV viewing. Seems it would be easier to put up each week than building them in to the track the way they have been done. Just trying to help.
KMC440
7/4/2010 6:33am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2010 6:34am
D. C.

If you have to put X-Country X's out on the "hazardous" section the whole track would look like a one-sided tic-tac-toe game.

Just have the flagger stick a yellow flag into the middle of the track before the dropoff when there is no racing and stand by it with the yellow in hand during the pace lap. Done.
Cory976
7/4/2010 7:05am
So when your four stroke grenades before the face of a triple, your gonna want to get rid of triples too? C,mon!

The Shop

Overdrive
7/4/2010 8:04am
It seems these banner drop offs are mainly done for the tv viewing audience, not the fans there at the track. So is it possible to use the software that many of the other major sports use that put in a digital banner across the track that isn't there in real life but appears on the broadcast. I have no idea what the software is or if it would work, but I do remeber seeing it in other racing and sporting events.

By the way great racing this weekend, I was really pleased watching the event live and it looked like a great big party there. Thanks.
stumpjumper
7/4/2010 8:11am
Build up the dirt on both sides so you can roll down them from the left or right and put arrows pointing down so you know they are there. Saw Doc sitting on the mule to the side of the ski jump afterwards looking a little dazed and confused! Glad he's ok!
zookie
7/4/2010 9:11am
In skiing, when you have a drop off they put an orange sign that says "danger, drop off" or something to that extent on either side of it. Why not put these on either side of the drops?

Or make them angled slightly...or both!
newmann
7/4/2010 9:26am
Cory976 wrote:
So when your four stroke grenades before the face of a triple, your gonna want to get rid of triples too? C,mon!
Absolutely not. That's when we get rid of four strokes and bring back better racing.Smile
KAWboy14
7/4/2010 9:31am
i like the drop offs and it is an awesome spot for sponsor exposure!
JackLHyde
7/4/2010 9:31am
Two things:

Why should the riders get an extra warning? I expect them to be mentally fit enough to remember the race track and it's obstacles.

What does the staff do on the race circuit? Isn't there a path next to it? Riders, flaggers and track crew should be the only ones directly on it.
7/4/2010 9:36am
If you can't roll it, it ain't safe. Not just for Mules, for riders. Commercial interest should never come before rider safety. All obsticles must be rollable.
KAWboy14
7/4/2010 9:52am
If you can't roll it, it ain't safe. Not just for Mules, for riders. Commercial interest should never come before rider safety. All obsticles must be...
If you can't roll it, it ain't safe. Not just for Mules, for riders. Commercial interest should never come before rider safety. All obsticles must be rollable.
if a pro couldnt roll those drop offs.....he shouldnt be out there!
DirtDgr
7/4/2010 9:58am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2010 10:11am
If you can't roll it, it ain't safe. Not just for Mules, for riders. Commercial interest should never come before rider safety. All obsticles must be...
As a cross country racer drop offs that are un-rollable are common at some events out here in the west. Four to six foot waterfalls and you dont get to pre ride. No flagger. Hopefully the markers are not knocked over. I see the same in GNCC with guys launching over creek beds.

You ever watch Endurocross? Many obstacles that connot be rolled.

We are talking about the best riders the world has to offer right?
oldx
7/4/2010 10:19am
Cross country, Desert, just about anywhere you ride has drop offs.
Racer111
7/4/2010 10:20am
KAWboy14 wrote:
I'll be sure to let Grant Langston know you said that. He is only a National Champion, so I guess he shouldn't be there. Good Call!! Whistling
7/4/2010 10:36am
So because there were 2 brain farts by human beings some want to get rid of them?
bultokid
7/4/2010 10:41am
Cory976 wrote:
newmann wrote:
Absolutely not. That's when we get rid of four strokes and bring back better racing.Smile
x infinity and beyond. Get rid of the drop-offs ? too dangerous...give me a freaking break. I did the one's at Freestone on a '83 Husky on the vintage parade lap and I'm a squid. These cats can handle them just fine. Besides I think it looks cool, harks back to the days of the Trans-AMA's.
7/4/2010 10:50am
I don't really think the jumps are dangerous, but it's cool to see DC is being proactive about this.
typ2vw159
7/4/2010 11:34am Edited Date/Time 7/4/2010 11:35am
Pound in a stake with a sign in the middle of the track.(DROP-OFF Beware go around). Maybe throw in a stick figure busten an endo. An remove befor each moto.
7/4/2010 11:39am
KAWboy14 wrote:
Racer111 wrote:
I'll be sure to let Grant Langston know you said that. He is only a National Champion, so I guess he shouldn't be there. Good Call...
I'll be sure to let Grant Langston know you said that. He is only a National Champion, so I guess he shouldn't be there. Good Call!! Whistling
Grant wasn't trying to roll it
oldx
7/4/2010 11:40am
WORC's and GNCC riders are laughing their asses off at all these posts about getting rid of a little drop off.
Overdrive
7/4/2010 11:57am
Marketers are slowly turning to virtual ads -- computer-inserted brand messages designed to look like part of the scenery, stadium or a TV show's set.

Nordstrom and Harrah's floated them above the crowd on CBS' pre-Grammy show; Home Depot and TD Waterhouse regularly place them behind home plate; Northern Light and ABC Sports had them hovering in the grass around the turns of the Indianapolis 500 last weekend. And the college football crowd will see them branding the superimposed yellow first-down line during as many as 10 of CBS Sports' 17 NCAA game broadcasts

Just an idea, may not be cost effective but it may also open more avenues to sell ads. just my 2 cents.
WORCSRacer
7/4/2010 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2010 12:09pm
oldx wrote:
WORC's and GNCC riders are laughing their asses off at all these posts about getting rid of a little drop off.
Actually I was telling Sal Fish of SCORE he ought to take out all the Booby Traps, stray dogs, cattle, horses and people, the cars driving the wrong way on the course, the cliffs, and washouts.... and he said laughing, "no then it be motocross"

DC for crying out loud tell Doc to pay attention, mark anything that is questionable with an down arrow just like the GNCC's and move on. I'm all for safety but this is really a matter of paying attention to the job at hand.
mxrider225
Fantasy
2876th
7/4/2010 12:22pm
Why dont they just make them slightly angled rather then 90deg.

Angled like this

/

and make it curved on the bottom so you can roll over it in an emergency.

WORCSRacer
7/4/2010 12:32pm
mxrider225 wrote:
Why dont they just make them slightly angled rather then 90deg. Angled like this / and make it curved on the bottom so you can roll...
Why dont they just make them slightly angled rather then 90deg.

Angled like this

/

and make it curved on the bottom so you can roll over it in an emergency.

After rewatching the race...

This has to be one of the dumbest threads ever. The Lucas Oil drop off is maybe, maybe 4ft high and the Rockstar Dropoff is maybe 5 ft. This is professional MX isn't it?

and Doc really needs to pay attention, that was all net him if he drove off it in a mule as described. geez wake up. (I am glad he's OK though!)
JB 19
7/4/2010 12:42pm
This is a crazy idea, but would it be possible to form the back side of the jump with thick plexiglass? ....or some other "see through" material.
JB 19
7/4/2010 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2010 1:10pm
oldx wrote:
You're an idiot. It has nothing to do with the ability of the riders. Did you see them jumping Laroccos Leap?

It has to do with motocross guys not being accustomed to an obstacle like this being on the track.
moto116
7/4/2010 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2010 12:58pm
oldx wrote:
JB 19 wrote:
You're an idiot. It has nothing to do with the ability of the riders. Did you see them jumping Laroccos Leap? It has to do with...
You're an idiot. It has nothing to do with the ability of the riders. Did you see them jumping Laroccos Leap?

It has to do with motocross guys not being accustomed to an obstacle like this being on the track.
X2
GHR
7/4/2010 1:01pm
bubble wrap the riders and put wings on Doc Bod Mule

Post a reply to: Attn DC... No more drop off jumps

The Latest