Attention JT Racing...

olds cool
Edited Date/Time 7/20/2013 9:08am
just wanted to let you guys know that your marketing department is/was asleep at the wheel for not recognizing the opportunity to do something really cool with Jerry Robin and his efforts to compete at Loretta Lynn's on a 1985 Honda CR 250. Guys, this was the promotional opportunity of a lifetime for a company trying to recapture the glory days of an iconic brand and you let Fly Racing get the drop on you. Nothing against WPS and Fly gear but come on guys, this situation was tailor made for JT Racing. All the hype about the glory days of JT that was put out before the brand "re-launched" and you didn't latch on to one of the best feel-good-stories that this sport has seen in a while, centered around a bike from the era that the name JT Racing is synonomous with? Ray Charles could have seen that one! Wake up!

p.s. If by chance you did contact this kid and he turned you down I will apologize in advance, but I'm gonna guess...you didn't.
|
Frodad78
7/19/2013 5:52am
Yup , thought the same thing. The Fly gear is nice but it just doesn't look quite right on the ol' smoker.
danman
7/19/2013 8:50am
Just think if JT was on it. They could have lined him up in the Bailey retro gear! That would have been cool!

The Shop

GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
7/19/2013 9:09am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2013 9:10am
I think JT has moved on from the retro looking gear to stuff that may actually sell. The retro stuff is on clearance on their website for $9.99 jersey and $49.99 pants. The helmets are down to $99.99.
7/19/2013 9:14am
GrapeApe wrote:
I think JT has moved on from the retro looking gear to stuff that may actually sell. The retro stuff is on clearance on their website...
I think JT has moved on from the retro looking gear to stuff that may actually sell. The retro stuff is on clearance on their website for $9.99 jersey and $49.99 pants. The helmets are down to $99.99.
i noticed that, all the new stuff is modern looking. Though i do think the new gear looks nice i thought the classic stuff would sell well with all the vets/evo classes, perhaps not as big of a seller as they thought.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
7/19/2013 9:26am
GrapeApe wrote:
I think JT has moved on from the retro looking gear to stuff that may actually sell. The retro stuff is on clearance on their website...
Marc_Honda wrote:
i noticed that, all the new stuff is modern looking. Though i do think the new gear looks nice i thought the classic stuff would sell...
i noticed that, all the new stuff is modern looking. Though i do think the new gear looks nice i thought the classic stuff would sell well with all the vets/evo classes, perhaps not as big of a seller as they thought.
I think they had the right idea targeting the vet market, just sort of missed the mark with the gear. It never grew on me, and I was a massive fan and consumer of JT racing gear in the 80's.
500guy
7/19/2013 9:43am
GrapeApe wrote:
Not enough Nostalgic goons to pay the bills, I love how everyone has ideas for someones company but buy's the cheapest shit they can find in the end.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
7/19/2013 9:50am
GrapeApe wrote:
500guy wrote:
Not enough Nostalgic goons to pay the bills, I love how everyone has ideas for someones company but buy's the cheapest shit they can find in...
Not enough Nostalgic goons to pay the bills, I love how everyone has ideas for someones company but buy's the cheapest shit they can find in the end.
Can't get much cheaper than $160.00 for pants, jersey and helmet! At some point even nostalgic goons succumb to vanity.
7/19/2013 10:03am
Do you all think that this classic JT jersey ('82-ish) could still sell?

I think it still looks timeless and I would buy it if available.
TX24
7/19/2013 10:08am
Old guys don't buy new gear or not much anyway. It's the 15 year olds that have to have the latest stuff.
steed 2.0
7/19/2013 10:18am
GrapeApe wrote:
500guy wrote:
Not enough Nostalgic goons to pay the bills, I love how everyone has ideas for someones company but buy's the cheapest shit they can find in...
just look at the (clearance sale) pants sizes 28, 30, 32 all large sizes are sold out (except the clown colors)
MX Culture
7/19/2013 10:24am
I see your point with JT, but the same could be said for every other gear company besides Fly too.
This guy is going to get major media coverage at LL's.
I plan on finding him as well.
Good on Fly, didn't know they grabbed him.
What will be interesting to see is if he does well and gets a ride on a newer bike, how will he fare on a four-stroke.
DD
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/19/2013 10:36am
So if JT had hooked him up, it would have helped complete your flashback fantasies? Wink
Frodad78
7/19/2013 11:13am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2013 11:15am
Yeah hated the stuff when I was younger, then it came back and I was interested....weird..

Still think the FOX throwback gear is the best.
olds cool
7/19/2013 11:19am
If it makes you feel better, I'll agree and say why yes it would have thank you very much. However, my self serving flashback fantasies were not the original inspiration for this thread. I thought that was apparent but I guess not so much, at least to some people anyway. Actually I must confess, the real reason I originated this thread was so that Mr. Sunshine and Positivity (aka 500 Guy) would have a new thread to piss on so he can come back in a week or two and have a new cause to champion. Everybody happy now? I try to be as accommodating as possible. Next time I have an MX related idea or opinion I'll just post a JLaw sighting or pontificate a theory as to why some riders seem to crash more often than their counterparts.
dboivin
7/19/2013 11:28am
GuyB wrote:
So if JT had hooked him up, it would have helped complete your flashback fantasies? Wink
yes. lol.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/19/2013 11:45am
olds cool wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I'll agree and say why yes it would have thank you very much. However, my self serving flashback fantasies were...
If it makes you feel better, I'll agree and say why yes it would have thank you very much. However, my self serving flashback fantasies were not the original inspiration for this thread. I thought that was apparent but I guess not so much, at least to some people anyway. Actually I must confess, the real reason I originated this thread was so that Mr. Sunshine and Positivity (aka 500 Guy) would have a new thread to piss on so he can come back in a week or two and have a new cause to champion. Everybody happy now? I try to be as accommodating as possible. Next time I have an MX related idea or opinion I'll just post a JLaw sighting or pontificate a theory as to why some riders seem to crash more often than their counterparts.
I just don't get why you feel the need to call out JT. But that's just me.

Personally? I think the plethora of J-Law threads are retarded, too. There's a lot here I think that's dumb. It's the nuggets of good info I like, not people coming up with stupid threads about banning start devices.
bd
7/19/2013 12:00pm
I use JT Racing gear and its collection has incredible feel, comfort, quality, and design. The pictures do not do the gear justice. My personal favorites are the 1986 RL day glo green and 1986 db day glo orange. Prior, I had Fox Racing and Thor Racing. I am not impressed with the quality nor the design of Thor.

I higly recommend JT Racing
CAB214
7/19/2013 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2013 12:42pm
Guys, before you post think - "What would GuyB do?"

We don't want to undermine his intelligence by posting internet fluff. He has bigger things to worry about.
olds cool
7/19/2013 12:42pm
If I was going to call out JT publicly I would have said something about product quality or made a negative remark about their customer service. However, I don't currently own any of their stuff so I have nothing to say about either of those topics. All I was trying to do was express my OPINION that they missed an obvious opportunity by not pairing themselves with that kid on that particular bike. That ad campaign would have practically written itself and could have been done for cheap compared to most gear companies' campaigns. I'll bet that Jerry's exploits at the ranch will be followed by more people, regardless of his results, than any A class or Pro Am prospect there. How cool would it have been to see a DeLorean roll up to the staging area before his first moto and have Jerry climb out of the passenger side wearing the flo orange gear somebody mentioned above? But that's just me... I know you have a need to protect everyone and everything that has anything to do with this industry but sheesh, lighten up Francis.
500guy
7/19/2013 12:51pm
olds cool wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I'll agree and say why yes it would have thank you very much. However, my self serving flashback fantasies were...
One Butt Hurt report coming up for Old Fool 8675309
englishman
7/19/2013 12:56pm
Do you all think that this classic JT jersey ('82-ish) could still sell? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/07/19/27444/s1200_6843957403_b8b11b020f_o.jpg[/img] I think it still looks timeless and I would buy it if...
Do you all think that this classic JT jersey ('82-ish) could still sell?

I think it still looks timeless and I would buy it if available.
I'll buy you a set of JT gear if you can name the guy on the right and the country of his birth.

P.S - I wont but I'd be impressed if you got it right!
Lightning78
7/19/2013 1:47pm
olds cool wrote:
If I was going to call out JT publicly I would have said something about product quality or made a negative remark about their customer service...
If I was going to call out JT publicly I would have said something about product quality or made a negative remark about their customer service. However, I don't currently own any of their stuff so I have nothing to say about either of those topics. All I was trying to do was express my OPINION that they missed an obvious opportunity by not pairing themselves with that kid on that particular bike. That ad campaign would have practically written itself and could have been done for cheap compared to most gear companies' campaigns. I'll bet that Jerry's exploits at the ranch will be followed by more people, regardless of his results, than any A class or Pro Am prospect there. How cool would it have been to see a DeLorean roll up to the staging area before his first moto and have Jerry climb out of the passenger side wearing the flo orange gear somebody mentioned above? But that's just me... I know you have a need to protect everyone and everything that has anything to do with this industry but sheesh, lighten up Francis.
You are 100% correct in your statements .... thats how to gain exposure and I bet it wouldnt have cost them 5% of their advertising budget AT BEST. I agree someone was asleep at the wheel on this BUT the current owners (from what I was told when they were working on coming back before it ever announced) ...... the new owners do not have much of a background in moto, JT is owned by Rawlings or one of their subsidiaries. They bought the name brand to make the gear from because of its "legacy costs" and wanted to bank on that alone. I doubt the current owners were aware this would be a marketing coup ...im sure once they do theyll be kicking themselves.

Im not bashing them either and have never ran their current stuff but the gear I had in the mid 90's was absolute garbage, 3 sets of gear had to be warrantied after 1-2 months of use. From what i can see now their gear is very nice and appears to be quality made. With that being said yes they totally dropped the ball on this one.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
7/19/2013 1:53pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2013 5:42pm
olds cool wrote:
If I was going to call out JT publicly I would have said something about product quality or made a negative remark about their customer service...
"How cool would it have been to see a DeLorean roll up to the staging area before his first moto and have Jerry climb out of the passenger side wearing the flo orange gear somebody mentioned above"

OK dude you just went full retard on that one, lets have a Delorean at LLs and a B class rider hops out like in back to the future! Now I have heard everything ! WoohooWoohoo

7/19/2013 1:57pm
englishman wrote:
I'll buy you a set of JT gear if you can name the guy on the right and the country of his birth. P.S - I...
I'll buy you a set of JT gear if you can name the guy on the right and the country of his birth.

David Watson. Northern Ireland.
englishman
7/19/2013 3:38pm
englishman wrote:
I'll buy you a set of JT gear if you can name the guy on the right and the country of his birth. P.S - I...

David Watson. Northern Ireland.
Woohoo Nice work !!
4mxonly
7/19/2013 4:20pm
olds cool wrote:
Don't let pandering from the peanut gallery put a damper on what you've said... you're right on the money, and GT couldn't have had a better opportunity fall into their lap. Anyone telling you you're wrong just wants to validate their own existence by picking apart your honest observation and listen to themselves talk, that's all.

Post a reply to: Attention JT Racing...

The Latest