Attention 15+ KX450F owners

RJMX834
Edited Date/Time 7/12/2017 6:38am
Sending my suspension tomorrow out to FC for a service and a revalve. (have a fork seal pouring at 16.5 hrs) not particularly happy about that but thrilled with the rest of the bike. My question is what are you guys doing and how did you like the results? Sticking with the air forks and revalving or doing the spring conversion? I don't hate the air forks but I'm still looking for a more planted, plush feel. I'm a mid pack B rider, 6'2 165-170 lbs. Any opinions are welcomed, thanks!

|
7/11/2017 5:22am
Any opinions are welcome? Ok, then...

Bro, ya gotta make sure your sprocket bolts are torqued to spec. You don't want to be causing chaos and carnage out there on the track.
RJMX834
7/11/2017 5:25am
Any opinions are welcome? Ok, then... Bro, ya gotta make sure your sprocket bolts are torqued to spec. You don't want to be causing chaos and...
Any opinions are welcome? Ok, then...

Bro, ya gotta make sure your sprocket bolts are torqued to spec. You don't want to be causing chaos and carnage out there on the track.
already checked those thanks.
7/11/2017 5:30am
You're welcome, bro! Good man too for staying on top of that. You and/or riding bros can be killed by flying sprocket bolts. They are deadly shrapnel when they come loose and fling off.

Seriously, I've never owned a KX, so can't give you any real advice. I've used FC before, but I find I prefer our own Slipdog. He just does a better job, and it is noticeable. Whatever you do, good luck with it and have fun!
RJMX834
7/11/2017 5:32am
You're welcome, bro! Good man too for staying on top of that. You and/or riding bros can be killed by flying sprocket bolts. They are deadly...
You're welcome, bro! Good man too for staying on top of that. You and/or riding bros can be killed by flying sprocket bolts. They are deadly shrapnel when they come loose and fling off.

Seriously, I've never owned a KX, so can't give you any real advice. I've used FC before, but I find I prefer our own Slipdog. He just does a better job, and it is noticeable. Whatever you do, good luck with it and have fun!
this slipdog you speak of, I've seen him around the forums. what outfit does he run?

The Shop

Manco
7/11/2017 5:41am
Modern KX450s are alright. A KX500 will walk all over a KX450 though. You'd think 30 years of technological advancement would lead to a better bike then what was sold in late 1980s. Its totally backwards though. Mid 90s was the peak of MX technology. Everything since has been a downhill slide into recreation grade motorcycles with issues no one wants to deal with. No wonder off road motorcycling is a dying sport.
7/11/2017 5:43am
By the way, that's a great looking KXF! Love the hubs! Clean, simple graphics too. Nice.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
7/11/2017 6:42am Edited Date/Time 7/11/2017 6:42am
I had FC do my 16 KX450 and I left it air with good results. The valving improvements solved pretty much all my complaints with the stock stuff.

They also installed their Low Speed Valve, a different high speed compression spring in the shock, and I sent them a inntek SKF glide kit to throw is as well. I'd do it again.
JRT812
7/11/2017 6:50am
I read on here A kits are nice and the traxx shock really tracks while riding on any condition track.

Good luck with the upgrades and have only used local people in the past.
kkawboy14
7/11/2017 6:51am
Manco wrote:
Modern KX450s are alright. A KX500 will walk all over a KX450 though. You'd think 30 years of technological advancement would lead to a better bike...
Modern KX450s are alright. A KX500 will walk all over a KX450 though. You'd think 30 years of technological advancement would lead to a better bike then what was sold in late 1980s. Its totally backwards though. Mid 90s was the peak of MX technology. Everything since has been a downhill slide into recreation grade motorcycles with issues no one wants to deal with. No wonder off road motorcycling is a dying sport.
I rode a kx500 6 months ago, that thing was a boat anchor compared to my kx450
kkawboy14
7/11/2017 6:52am
RJMX834 wrote:
Sending my suspension tomorrow out to FC for a service and a revalve. (have a fork seal pouring at 16.5 hrs) not particularly happy about that...
Sending my suspension tomorrow out to FC for a service and a revalve. (have a fork seal pouring at 16.5 hrs) not particularly happy about that but thrilled with the rest of the bike. My question is what are you guys doing and how did you like the results? Sticking with the air forks and revalving or doing the spring conversion? I don't hate the air forks but I'm still looking for a more planted, plush feel. I'm a mid pack B rider, 6'2 165-170 lbs. Any opinions are welcomed, thanks!

Yeah but did you check the rim locks?
7/11/2017 6:53am
Manco wrote:
Modern KX450s are alright. A KX500 will walk all over a KX450 though. You'd think 30 years of technological advancement would lead to a better bike...
kkawboy14 wrote:
LaughingLaughingLaughing
Manco
7/11/2017 7:11am Edited Date/Time 7/11/2017 7:17am
Manco wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
That is because you are biased and desperate to hide from the truth. Too bad for you specifications can't lie.

2015 KX450f = 247lbs claimed wet weight

1987 KX500 = 220lbs dry + fuel + add ons = 230-240lbs proven weight wet for the past 30 years.

Welp that settles it. The KX450 would would definitely have more boat holding power over a KX500. May as well bring up the fact that in a HP contest the KX450 also looses. How sad. Good thing for Kawi sales the AMA was bribed into banning big bore two strokes from racing, pro riders are paid to ride what they ride and magazines are paid to write favorable reviews of modern MX boat anchors.

sozo
7/11/2017 7:17am Edited Date/Time 7/11/2017 7:17am
I had Pro Circuit do a kx250f for me and I hated it, forks would beat the hell out of me and the rear was a pogo stick soft.... My buddy who is really really fast loved it....

I like my FC equipped bikes suspension better
7/11/2017 7:36am
I'm on a '15. I only have around 60 hrs on the bike and have had it since it first hit the showroom floor, but I have a similar opinion/desire for the forks. They need to be more plush and 'reactive' in the first few inches of travel. Other than that, I quite like them. I have serviced them three times though (just to help improve the feel). I'm no pro, but I reckon my riding will improve dramatically with properly set up suspension.

If I could find an affordable and trustworthy place that could revalve them, I would go through with it.
bvm111
7/11/2017 9:00am Edited Date/Time 7/11/2017 9:15am
I have FC suspension on my 16 and although I never rode it with stock suspension I really, really, really, like the set up! The only thing I can complain about is that it is still a little vague from turn in too the apex in tight inside lines and I am not smart enough to know if that is rider error, chassis design, or a symptom of the air fork... as with my computers I am leaning toward operator error!!!

I don't think you will be disappointed with the FC set up! I feel I can hold my own as a Vet Int rider and I am pretty anal when it comes to my suspension and I cant say enough good things about how it works. Now the BS of setting pressures in the morning and readjusting in the afternoon is still a pain in the ass, but I don't think it is enough to make me drop the 600 on the spring conversion!
Chaser503
7/11/2017 9:09am Edited Date/Time 7/11/2017 9:12am
I have a 2015 that I bought as a leftover March of 2016. For me, the forks didn't grip at turn-in and wanted to push out, if that makes sense?

I had TBT Racing in Arizona tune them for a mix of off-road (Utah desert) and MX. I'm amateur speed in the desert and novice speed at the track. He set me up with a "GP setting". I've been very, very happy with the results. The front end grips through the turn, especially at turn-in. No more push. Tracks straight in the chop and is plush in initial stroke. Also, I have only ever bottomed once ... and thought it was going to be much, much worse than it was. Johnny at TBT offered great support after I got them back.

Off road, the forks are plush over rocks and do not deflect. It tracks very well through sand whoops. I can back the compression way out if I go to the canyon and ride single track, which includes rocks and roots. Does well there too.

My only frustration, is with the bars in the forward-most mount position, I cannot easily adjust the compression, as the bar is directly over the adjuster and doesn't allow a screwdriver to get access.
BobPA
7/11/2017 9:13am
Manco wrote:
That is because you are biased and desperate to hide from the truth. Too bad for you specifications can't lie. 2015 KX450f = 247lbs claimed wet...
That is because you are biased and desperate to hide from the truth. Too bad for you specifications can't lie.

1987 KX500 = 220lbs dry + fuel + add ons = 230-240lbs proven weight wet for the past 30 years.

Welp that settles it. The KX450 would would definitely have more boat holding power over a KX500. May as well bring up the fact that in a HP contest the KX450 also looses. How sad. Good thing for Kawi sales the AMA was bribed into banning big bore two strokes from racing, pro riders are paid to ride what they ride and magazines are paid to write favorable reviews of modern MX boat anchors.

Man, you are not even a very good troll anymore
Titan1
7/11/2017 9:34am
Chaser503 wrote:
I have a 2015 that I bought as a leftover March of 2016. For me, the forks didn't grip at turn-in and wanted to push out...
I have a 2015 that I bought as a leftover March of 2016. For me, the forks didn't grip at turn-in and wanted to push out, if that makes sense?

I had TBT Racing in Arizona tune them for a mix of off-road (Utah desert) and MX. I'm amateur speed in the desert and novice speed at the track. He set me up with a "GP setting". I've been very, very happy with the results. The front end grips through the turn, especially at turn-in. No more push. Tracks straight in the chop and is plush in initial stroke. Also, I have only ever bottomed once ... and thought it was going to be much, much worse than it was. Johnny at TBT offered great support after I got them back.

Off road, the forks are plush over rocks and do not deflect. It tracks very well through sand whoops. I can back the compression way out if I go to the canyon and ride single track, which includes rocks and roots. Does well there too.

My only frustration, is with the bars in the forward-most mount position, I cannot easily adjust the compression, as the bar is directly over the adjuster and doesn't allow a screwdriver to get access.
Johnny did my '15 450 as well...I'm very very pleased with the result.

As an off road revolve it was as good as anything else I've ever had...I've bottomed it several times...but its better at not deflecting on rocks while also absorbing the big whoops than stock and better than any other suspension I've ran in the past.

I like the air forks.
NJKawi913
7/11/2017 11:57am
-I had RG3 do my suspension on my 15. We set it up the equal pressure in the inner chamber and balance, then 0 the outer chamber. This makes it as close to a spring fork feel in my opinion. Also filled the forks with nitrogen to eliiminate pressure changed throughout the tempreautres.

- I am also 6'3" 190lbs, a lot of other taller guys complain it want to push through the corner and is hard to get into ruts. I dropped the forks down 1-2cm and this made a worlds differnce for conrnering.

- outside of that i have a yoshi slip-on cause the stock exahust sounds horendous, gripper seat cover, arc levers, and some other comfort item. all in all these bikes are very good in my opnion, you just need to get out there and test out what works best for your style (which should be done with any new bike anyway). Don't be afraid to try out some different setting, rather than spending big bucks on trick parts.

Stuntman949
7/11/2017 12:06pm
Manco wrote:
That is because you are biased and desperate to hide from the truth. Too bad for you specifications can't lie. 2015 KX450f = 247lbs claimed wet...

I have both a 2016 KX450f and a 1995 KX500. New forks on the 500 would close the gap a bit but they're so different. I love the 500s more than anyone but trust me, Perris on the 500 sucks.
Chaser503
7/11/2017 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2017 12:23pm
NJKawi913 wrote:
-I had RG3 do my suspension on my 15. We set it up the equal pressure in the inner chamber and balance, then 0 the outer...
-I had RG3 do my suspension on my 15. We set it up the equal pressure in the inner chamber and balance, then 0 the outer chamber. This makes it as close to a spring fork feel in my opinion. Also filled the forks with nitrogen to eliiminate pressure changed throughout the tempreautres.

- I am also 6'3" 190lbs, a lot of other taller guys complain it want to push through the corner and is hard to get into ruts. I dropped the forks down 1-2cm and this made a worlds differnce for conrnering.

- outside of that i have a yoshi slip-on cause the stock exahust sounds horendous, gripper seat cover, arc levers, and some other comfort item. all in all these bikes are very good in my opnion, you just need to get out there and test out what works best for your style (which should be done with any new bike anyway). Don't be afraid to try out some different setting, rather than spending big bucks on trick parts.

I'm also tall - 6'2". Found that if I stopped trying to sit on the gas tank through turns, but remained in a neutral (or slightly forward) seat position, that it tracked better. May be totally wrong but it works for me, at my current speed. Combined with the revalve, I'm happy.
7/11/2017 12:24pm
I had RaceTech go through the suspension on my 15' and it transformed the bike. The Showa SFF Tac forks are close to A-kit forks, just need a little TLC and dialing in for your style. My suspension performs very well.

Front:
SKF Glide kit (almost eliminates the stiction, highly recommend)
RaceTech Gold Valve
Valving for Intermediate 185lb rider
Inner Pressure: 180psi
Outer Pressure: 12psi
Balance Pressure: 190psi
Damper side oil volume: 350cc (340cc is stock)
Forks 6mm up in the triple clamps
Compression damping dialed so that i'm using all but 1-2" of stroke on big hits.

Rear:
Stock spring
Rebuilt
RaceTech Gold Valve
Valving for intermediate 185lb rider.
Race Sag: 104mm

Both front and rear, run the rebound damping the least amount you can handle.

Gearing wise, i'm running a 13/51 sprocket setup with a 116 link chain to slide the rear tire back a bit. Otherwise the bike wheelies too easily.

Stock front brake was terrible IMO. I upgraded to a stainless front line and EBC MXS front pads and it made a significant difference.

Upgrade to a high pressure radiator cap or else the bike will overflow coolant on hot days.

Get rid of the stock chain guide asap. It will break apart on you and ruin your day.

Have used Dunlop MX3S and MX52 on the bike. Recently moved to a set of Bridgestone Battlecross X30 front and X40 rear and love the combination.
Cygnus
7/11/2017 12:25pm
Manco wrote:
Davey Newell?
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
7/11/2017 3:36pm
I rode my buddies 15 kxf stock and it was nice. Then again revalved by pro action who was also racing the same bike and i wanted to buy it. It was great. I was going faster than on my 15 honda that i was used to. I would buy a new 15 kxf right now and that revalve if it was available. My spring forks made the Honda better but the bike is kind of boring to be honest. Lol
Indy mxer
7/11/2017 3:52pm
I'm 5'6" and 155. I bought my 16 Kawi new. I had no doubt it would be too stiff for my weight.

Sent it to FC before I even rode it. I'm really happy with it.
Plus, anytime I needed advice on adjustments they always were happy to help. Their customer service is top notch.
nolookpass
7/11/2017 5:20pm
16 kx450 here. My fork seals blew too about the 15 hour mark, and had them replaced and on hour 40 no with 0 leakage. Maybe they just come crappy from the factory or something.

Yes - chain guide sucks on them, replace that.

Running 174, 14.5, 203 on the TAC. I'm 200 lbs and 6'3", with stock suspension (for now). I run close to stock settings on clickers, but "in" 2 on the round on the rear shock and on the front fork for a more plush feel. I'm just out there having fun and enjoying going 1-1 at practice for now. Sag is at 105.

Kept the stock Renthal's (Actually like them now) and put the bars all the way up and pegs lowered, since I'm a lanky goon. I run the forks low in the front too for cornering.
RJMX834
7/11/2017 6:23pm
Wow guys, I thank you for all your opinions. That's great. I can't thank you all enough. Well, I was set on going with the spring conversion kit but now I'm not so set lol. it sounds like each one of you guys have chosen to go the revalve on the air forks and it's working for you. I don't hate the fork by any means, so I'm going to go this route to and give it a try. You all seem happy with your air setup after a revalve. I have always used FC EXCEPT for the one time I ran PR2 when I was about 14. I will not make that mistake again, although it could have been a one off mistake, they still didn't want to make it right and never did. Anyhow, I'll be using either FC or TBT. I've called around and it's still between the two.
RJMX834
7/11/2017 6:27pm
NJKawi913 wrote:
-I had RG3 do my suspension on my 15. We set it up the equal pressure in the inner chamber and balance, then 0 the outer...

Chaser503 wrote:
I'm also tall - 6'2". Found that if I stopped trying to sit on the gas tank through turns, but remained in a neutral (or slightly...
I'm also tall - 6'2". Found that if I stopped trying to sit on the gas tank through turns, but remained in a neutral (or slightly forward) seat position, that it tracked better. May be totally wrong but it works for me, at my current speed. Combined with the revalve, I'm happy.
This is something I need to try. I'm always on the tank and i feel like front end is on marbles. Maybe with this revalve and trying this riding position it will help my corner speed. I appreciate the advice
RJMX834
7/11/2017 6:31pm
Chaser503 wrote:
I have a 2015 that I bought as a leftover March of 2016. For me, the forks didn't grip at turn-in and wanted to push out...

Titan1 wrote:
Johnny did my '15 450 as well...I'm very very pleased with the result. As an off road revolve it was as good as anything else I've...
Johnny did my '15 450 as well...I'm very very pleased with the result.

As an off road revolve it was as good as anything else I've ever had...I've bottomed it several times...but its better at not deflecting on rocks while also absorbing the big whoops than stock and better than any other suspension I've ran in the past.

I like the air forks.
I appreciate the reply fellas. You guys really seem to dig your suspension. So I gave this Johnny guy a call. Wow, what a guy. So informative and helpful. he stayed on the phone with me for every bit of 25 minutes and answered any question i have. FC really was swaying me towards the spring kit. However Johnny basically said yeah the spring kit will give you the best results. However, I like the air fork and i can get it to fork for you. I really liked his opinions and honesty. I haven't shipped my stuff out because I haven't decided to go the FC route or TBT.

Post a reply to: Attention 15+ KX450F owners

The Latest