Asterisk Ultra Cell Knee Brace Help

motoXracer971
9/10/2015 6:48am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2015 9:55pm
I'm purchasing Ultra Cell braces and can't decide between the BOA straps and the standard straps. I'm leaning towards the BOA system but I'm a little skeptical about the durability. Does anyone have opinions on either?

|
9/10/2015 6:57am
I have the ultra cell with the boa system. Its very durable. Only problem i had was the plastic adjuster that lock down one broke. Nothing major asterick sent me a pack for free. Its been a year and still going strong. The rubber frame cushions moved a little. Only other issue is if you have muscular legs the upper thigh plastic straps tend to be a little short . Asterick said they mightbbe getting larger ones. Mine are maxed out
hillbilly
9/10/2015 7:37am
Mine wear the lace type,never a problem,just had to relace the lower calve to put the lock at the top of the calve ,this kept it from wanting to slip down.

Mine are 10 yr old so they probably dont make them like that anymore. The cables were the only thing that wore out and easy to replace,they always sent me new ones for free.

Billy Frank worked there then and took care of me, good to have friends,and he knew I worked hard and raced the same.
Zaugg
9/10/2015 8:51am
You really can't go wrong with either.

9/10/2015 9:26am
I've had mine with the BOA system for two years now. They hold up pretty good. My only issue with the braces is, that they are pretty bulky, I have to get all my pants a bigger size in order to have room around the knees

The Shop

9/10/2015 1:15pm
I noticed that with certain brand pants. I now have fly f-16 and they are pretty roomy in the knee area.
Whip
Fantasy
3218th
9/10/2015 1:27pm
Asterisk braces are junk. Go with POD, CTi or the new Alpinestars braces. Thank me later.
Kyle978
9/10/2015 2:52pm
I have the BOA braces and am not extremely pleased with them. They are very bulky as stated above, and the lower BOA strap digs into my leg pretty good, enough to draw some blood sometimes. They definitely stay secure, and they are overall pretty comfortable, but coming from Pod braces, I regret not getting the updated Pod's.
9/10/2015 3:09pm
I've got a bit of experience with my braces and, IMHO, I'd go with the straps. I used to have the BOA and I had a small issue where it would pinch the back of my knee when I had my leg all the way bent. I got the braces changed to straps and the problem went away. I'm not what you would call "fat" but there is a little extra flab on my legs so I think that was the problem. If your legs are skinny enough, you probably won't have that problem.

Also, I would 1000% suggest you get a pair of the Zero G Pants. Those things are magic. Your brace will stay in place 100% of the time and it never slides down your leg. Plus they cover up the braces so they never get caught on the lining of your riding pants. Much easier to put on and take off. They are really amazing.
9/10/2015 3:11pm
Whip wrote:
Asterisk braces are junk. Go with POD, CTi or the new Alpinestars braces. Thank me later.
Junk? Come on. Let's not be dramatic. You may like the other brands better but the Asterisk braces are far from "junk".
ktm212
9/10/2015 3:15pm
Whip wrote:
Junk? Come on. Let's not be dramatic. You may like the other brands better but the Asterisk braces are far from "junk".
as a matter of fact the asterisks have been the most durable knee braces Ive ever has and getting them refurbished for half the price of new braces is nice.

but I'd go with straps. I like the laces, dont like the boa, so straps it is.
jbracer247
9/10/2015 3:53pm
I had Asterisk for 8 years now. They are worn out. Love them. Saving up for a new pair now.
9/10/2015 3:58pm
Go put on a pair of pods. They are real low profile and have some tendon technology that helps you bend your knee. It's wierd at first but actually makes it nicer on the bike putting your leg out.

Boa closure system works well. I've got boa closure snowboard boots. They never loosen up after use. I'd love to try them on knee braces.
Idp57
Fantasy
2571st
9/10/2015 4:11pm
Try Mobius X8...they are really good and comfortable!!!
9/10/2015 5:25pm
The boa pinching causing bleeding. Never had that issue with mine. Weird. Mine are maxed out also
motoXracer971
9/10/2015 6:47pm
I've read a few reviews that claim the PODs feel slimmer but don't quite have the coverage around the knee. Major knee surgery is something I've already dealt with and being able to try these things on is important. I'm able to try the asterisks on and they feel pretty good... I really had no complaints with them so I can't justify spending $300 more for the PODs. If I had access to try them on and compare I may think differently, and the Asterisks have a pretty stellar track record too. I'm 6'3" 195 so my legs aren't super huge and I didn't think they felt bulky. And they fit into my Shift pants alright. These also had the laces on them which are no longer available new, so here I am in this delima. I'd like to try the BOAs but my gut tells me to go with the trusty old straps.
farmerjohn42
9/10/2015 9:06pm
I am not sure you know, but the Ultra Cells have been redesigned slightly. The knee cup area has been modified. The knee cup area looks way better than the old funky style. I didn't like the way the old style felt when standing to sitting. The new style looks much cleaner and less pinching.
boa.html]http://www.asterisk.com/buy/protection/ultra-cell-knee-protection-syste… [/url]
I have the EVS Pro Web Carbon Knee braces. They fit me the best of the braces I tried. I have stocky legs. Be aware of the customer service from EVS. I found the customer to be extremely poor from EVS. It was hard to get information about the braces. I tried ordering replacement straps found it to be extremely difficult. I gave up. As my EVS braces wear I am going to try and switch to the Asterisk. Asterisk was extremely nice to work with. Due to the customer service being so good from Asterisk and the redesigned Ultra Cells with the new knee cup, Asterisk will be my next braces.
On a side note, If you decide to keep the set you purchase wear them a few times riding before you make any assumptions, as mine are getting more comfortable the more I wear them.
9/10/2015 9:27pm
I like the new design. I wonder if it can be retrofitted to the former design
9/11/2015 7:27am
I like the new design. I wonder if it can be retrofitted to the former design
Depending on how old your braces are, I know that they can retro fit the new knee guards on as they did it for me. The new style is so much better and completely covers your knee. I don't know the cost or if yours are compatible but it's definitely worth looking into.
wm741
9/11/2015 10:09pm
I sent mine in and had the BOA switched out for the straps. They were always sliding down but they have been perfect since I got the straps. I've had the lace system on the regular cells and I think the straps are the best by far.
motoXracer971
9/17/2015 8:34pm
Idp57 wrote:
Try Mobius X8...they are really good and comfortable!!!
I'm now considering these braces. I understand they are more narrow than the asterisks. How long have you had yours? Do they hold up well?
kopfjaeger
9/17/2015 9:37pm
On my second pair of asterisk after having the old ones rebuilt twice. The new Velcro straps work well, had friends talk me out of the boa because they were moving too much and dirt caused some issues in the mechanism. I believe asterisk is still the only one with anti rotation tethers.. Def a deal breaker. I know most riders don't use them but I believe it's stupid not to.

Bought mine after an mcl injury and tweaked it again before I put the tethers on. No issues since.

The first pair lasted several years. I race XC in Texas, so lots of sweaty two plus hour races on them(12 & 14 races per season plus some winter series too), plus all practice. The first pair lasted several years. I think I bought the first ones in 07, maybe 06.

The zero g sleeves are cool, but I have been using the fox and fly brace socks with good results. Tights would be an option too. I wear bicycle shorts over the top of the brace socks. My wife runs the same set up and is happy with it too.
kopfjaeger
9/17/2015 9:38pm
The möbius I looked at did not have a rotation tether.
Helder
12/16/2015 9:55pm
I am not sure you know, but the Ultra Cells have been redesigned slightly. The knee cup area has been modified. The knee cup area looks...
I am not sure you know, but the Ultra Cells have been redesigned slightly. The knee cup area has been modified. The knee cup area looks way better than the old funky style. I didn't like the way the old style felt when standing to sitting. The new style looks much cleaner and less pinching.
boa.html]http://www.asterisk.com/buy/protection/ultra-cell-knee-protection-syste… [/url]
I have the EVS Pro Web Carbon Knee braces. They fit me the best of the braces I tried. I have stocky legs. Be aware of the customer service from EVS. I found the customer to be extremely poor from EVS. It was hard to get information about the braces. I tried ordering replacement straps found it to be extremely difficult. I gave up. As my EVS braces wear I am going to try and switch to the Asterisk. Asterisk was extremely nice to work with. Due to the customer service being so good from Asterisk and the redesigned Ultra Cells with the new knee cup, Asterisk will be my next braces.
On a side note, If you decide to keep the set you purchase wear them a few times riding before you make any assumptions, as mine are getting more comfortable the more I wear them.
Hi Gents,

Just so I'm 100% sure with the new ultra cell knee brace the strap and BOA system are interchangeable?

Thanks
7/9/2016 12:38am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2016 3:15am
This thread might be well and truly dead.. I will give it a go.
Are there anyone in here that have tried both the Leatt C-frame, the Asterisk ultra cell and the POD K4 or K8?

Fred
7/9/2016 6:51am
I'm purchasing Ultra Cell braces and can't decide between the BOA straps and the standard straps. I'm leaning towards the BOA system but I'm a little...
I'm purchasing Ultra Cell braces and can't decide between the BOA straps and the standard straps. I'm leaning towards the BOA system but I'm a little skeptical about the durability. Does anyone have opinions on either?

I can only answer the asterisk ultra and k8 with my experiences and opinion .
Ultra: big and bulky, boa kept coming undone so sliding down- basically a waist of time for me.
K8 : light , slim, don't notice I'm wearing them and stay in place , best I've worn and can't see any need to change!
Hope this helps
Kawisrok
7/9/2016 9:05am
I have a new set of Ultra Cells, and I cannot get the right side to stop sliding down. I have tried a million adjustments and it's driving me nuts, even with the boot tether on. I tried on the K8's and loved how they fit, and I now wish I would have stuck with them.
7/9/2016 1:16pm
Wow, that was pretty fast. Not dead at all Smile

How are they for impact protection? I tried a set of Leatt's today and I am just not sure. It says they give the same as (or better than) the requirements for knee protection (impact). I have not been able to find the rating for the K8's and Ultra.

The K8's are the most expensive of the three, so I want to be sure they are worth it if I buy them. One thing I like is that I can use them without the impact protection and still get support (for instance while kiting).

Will the K8's fit under a normal pair of moto pants or will they only fit under FMX/MX style pants?

Post a reply to: Asterisk Ultra Cell Knee Brace Help

The Latest