Asterisk Mobile Medics

DC
Edited Date/Time 5/29/2014 3:50pm
First of all, sorry I didn't chime into the other thread, I had no idea what it was about until an hour ago, and I was somewhat surprised and a little bummed at some of the uneducated comments in there.

MX Sports Pro Racing is once again making our annual contribution to the Asterisk Mobile Medics, just as Feld Motor Sports does for supercross, donating $130,000 to the medical unit. (Our donation will be slightly less but still over six figures, which is the number Doc Bodnar and Tom Carson told us they would need to stay on the road for the 12-round motocross series.) We do not charge them for their sponsorship of the series, nor do we sell sponsorship to another knee-brace company. In fact, we pay about $10,000 per race for them to be at each event.

I was not at the riders' meeting so I don't know how Doc Bodnar worded his speech about others stepping up now and then to help the unit, just as the Kurt Caselli 66 Foundation did with donating brand new equipment. But over the years less and less donations have come their way, maybe because they've been at it so long that they are overlooked, but their cause is as vital as ever. Road 2 Recovery has donated $25,000 and they are also hosting a fund-raiser at Miller Motorsports Park -- a go-kart race for the riders and teams who want to sign up and help out and also have some fun on the karting track next-door. JGR has always been there for the medics, and so has Pro Circuit, but the costs keep going up -- it's the nature of the business.

We have all been trying to come up with new fund-raising ideas, like maybe a Friday night foot race/walk around each national track for fans who make a small donation, or an end-of-the-season Halloween Party for the motocross industry out in SoCal, with all the money raised going towards the mobile medical unit. The medics don't want to charge the riders for their services, but it would be nice every now and then to hear about a rider or team who was helped by the medics and he bought them a tank of fuel to get them to the next race...

What are you doing to help the mobile medics?

DC
MX Sports

|
hvaughn88
5/27/2014 1:34pm
thanks for clearing it up, DC. Sounds like it's under control and good on yall for the donation!
JM485
5/27/2014 1:37pm
Good to hear, thanks a lot for the update.

How about a Friday night pit bike race around the national track!WoohooGrinning
enketchum
5/27/2014 1:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2014 1:44pm
Thank you for your thread about this matter.

I really like the idea of riders or team members giving back to them after using their service. I have not heard of this, but has it happened in the past, or have we just not heard about it?
EastFlorida
5/27/2014 1:44pm
What do I do to help? I buy products from those who do make donations to the cause...

The Shop

peelout
5/27/2014 1:44pm
thanks for the post DC. unfortunately, around here, pretty much all you're going to get is a bunch of moron's giving their highly uneducated and uninformed opinions. beauty of a message board. i didn't make it through the first page before i had to close it and just shake my head at some of the ridiculous things people were saying.

good on you for making a point to issue a statement, you definitely weren't required to do so.
mauidex
5/27/2014 1:46pm
very very good to hear that.............as usual thanks for doing all you do.............people seem to nuts over gear/memorabilia auctions........maybe collect stuff throughout the year and have a end of year blowout auction of stuff............like maybe Jeremy martins gear from his first national win and one of those bad ass red bull helmets from Roczen would be cool.............
DC
5/27/2014 2:22pm
I had the idea last year that every time a top rider asks for some extra tickets or something, maybe we could ask for a jersey or some riding gear in return to raffle or auction off online...

If we did a public track walk on Friday afternoons, for any donation, it seems like that would work too, but then someone would probably trip and take us to court...

DC
MX Sports
Socket946
5/27/2014 2:31pm
I made my contribution - I own two sets of Asterisk knee braces.

That said, I wish I had a good fund raising idea to give you. Outside of giving fans ride time on the track, I have nothing to suggest.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/27/2014 2:36pm
Socket946 wrote:
I made my contribution - I own two sets of Asterisk knee braces. That said, I wish I had a good fund raising idea to give...
I made my contribution - I own two sets of Asterisk knee braces.

That said, I wish I had a good fund raising idea to give you. Outside of giving fans ride time on the track, I have nothing to suggest.
As I understand it, Asterisk's contribution was substantial in the beginning. Buying the rig, etc. But over time it has become less and less every year...to the point where there's the potential to sell title sponsorship to another brand.
enketchum
5/27/2014 2:41pm
GuyB wrote:
As I understand it, Asterisk's contribution was substantial in the beginning. Buying the rig, etc. But over time it has become less and less every year...to...
As I understand it, Asterisk's contribution was substantial in the beginning. Buying the rig, etc. But over time it has become less and less every year...to the point where there's the potential to sell title sponsorship to another brand.
Redbull, perhaps? Seems like a good fit
Socket946
5/27/2014 2:43pm
GuyB wrote:
As I understand it, Asterisk's contribution was substantial in the beginning. Buying the rig, etc. But over time it has become less and less every year...to...
Wow, I didn't realize that.

Perhaps a new title sponsor is in place..
RM127
5/27/2014 3:05pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2014 3:06pm
$130k

For probably a million dollar equipment truck/ trailer.

Plus the 10 or so employees they have at each race.

ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/27/2014 3:07pm
GuyB wrote:
enketchum wrote:
That was actually my first thought, but I'm not sure how well that would go over during Monster Energy Supercross when the Red Bull Medical Unit is picking up the riders.
Socket946
5/27/2014 3:08pm
GuyB wrote:
enketchum wrote:
ML512 wrote:
That was actually my first thought, but I'm not sure how well that would go over during Monster Energy Supercross when the Red Bull Medical Unit...
That was actually my first thought, but I'm not sure how well that would go over during Monster Energy Supercross when the Red Bull Medical Unit is picking up the riders.
Red riders have won the Monster Energy cup - that's THEY'RE playground, too...
ML512
Fantasy
45th
5/27/2014 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2014 3:22pm
enketchum wrote:
ML512 wrote:
That was actually my first thought, but I'm not sure how well that would go over during Monster Energy Supercross when the Red Bull Medical Unit...
Socket946 wrote:
Red riders have won the Monster Energy cup - that's THEY'RE playground, too...
Not exactly my point, the Mobile medic crew isn't a race team. So I'm not quite sure how that would work with feld and monster for their appearance on TV and the name Red Bull Mobile Medic Unit.

Also in that sentence it's "their" not "they're" (they are).
TeamGreen
5/27/2014 3:44pm
I'd like to see an "Industry Challenge Race" (running race on Friday, Moto's on Sunday!) as a fund raiser!

Maybe a Mt.Bike race, too, so Guy B has a chance?

I'm in...for...let's make it Indiana, The Shoug and The Dilla...at the very least.

Also, I'm challenging Jeff Weiner/TLD-Pro-Goon to ride a Mt. Bike around the MMS track in less than 10 minutes & I'll pay $1000...this won't be easy, he's currently wearing a cast! (Call this Incentive amongst friends: if he's not healed? Bill Keefe can stand-in @ 8 minutes/lap).

I'm pretty sure that you could coordinate a race that is "Vintage-Historic" & that way we can actually SEE some of those Maico's, RC's...OW's...RH's on display...gettin' DIRTY! (Yes, Newmann: Running, Racing...DIRTY!)

I've had my riders in the Asterisk rig for everything from broken bones to split-chins...all I can say is, "Thank you, all!".

Let's do this...

Manny
KMC440
5/27/2014 3:52pm
I wouldn't mind seeing a box on my annual AMA membership that would be an extra $5 to go to supporting the three major series' (mx/sx road racing and flat track) with some traveling medical support staff.
pilotdude
5/27/2014 3:56pm
Ask Brian Barnes donate 1% of his jersey collection and then auction them off at each National. That should keep it funded through the 2054 season. Easily.

Overdrive
5/27/2014 4:05pm
Dc thanks for stepping up, this is a service that is needed.

But I do have a few questions that are lingering in my mind. You don't have to answer them because you have taken care of the problem but Im going to ask them anyway.

Why is it that Doc was thinking he was going to be short on funds, was MXsports not going to step up with the donation? Was there some debate at Mxsports over the value that AMMU was providing?

I mean it was the riders meeting at the first race of the year and the staff of the AMMU were obviously under the assumption by their comments that there was a debate as to their value.

You would have thought that MXsports would have communicated with Doc and let him know the check was in the mail well before the first race and I commend Doc for going on faith that the funds would be there.

You said in your original comment that MXsports was once again donating, so was there a debate as to whether you would or not?

Capone
5/27/2014 4:06pm
DC wrote:
First of all, sorry I didn't chime into the other thread, I had no idea what it was about until an hour ago, and I was...
First of all, sorry I didn't chime into the other thread, I had no idea what it was about until an hour ago, and I was somewhat surprised and a little bummed at some of the uneducated comments in there.

MX Sports Pro Racing is once again making our annual contribution to the Asterisk Mobile Medics, just as Feld Motor Sports does for supercross, donating $130,000 to the medical unit. (Our donation will be slightly less but still over six figures, which is the number Doc Bodnar and Tom Carson told us they would need to stay on the road for the 12-round motocross series.) We do not charge them for their sponsorship of the series, nor do we sell sponsorship to another knee-brace company. In fact, we pay about $10,000 per race for them to be at each event.

I was not at the riders' meeting so I don't know how Doc Bodnar worded his speech about others stepping up now and then to help the unit, just as the Kurt Caselli 66 Foundation did with donating brand new equipment. But over the years less and less donations have come their way, maybe because they've been at it so long that they are overlooked, but their cause is as vital as ever. Road 2 Recovery has donated $25,000 and they are also hosting a fund-raiser at Miller Motorsports Park -- a go-kart race for the riders and teams who want to sign up and help out and also have some fun on the karting track next-door. JGR has always been there for the medics, and so has Pro Circuit, but the costs keep going up -- it's the nature of the business.

We have all been trying to come up with new fund-raising ideas, like maybe a Friday night foot race/walk around each national track for fans who make a small donation, or an end-of-the-season Halloween Party for the motocross industry out in SoCal, with all the money raised going towards the mobile medical unit. The medics don't want to charge the riders for their services, but it would be nice every now and then to hear about a rider or team who was helped by the medics and he bought them a tank of fuel to get them to the next race...

DC
MX Sports

Hey Davie my donation is I bought tickets to the south wick and unadilla nationals since 1990 please don't insult my intelligence you douche
BAMX
5/27/2014 4:23pm
KMC440 wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing a box on my annual AMA membership that would be an extra $5 to go to supporting the three major series' (mx/sx...
I wouldn't mind seeing a box on my annual AMA membership that would be an extra $5 to go to supporting the three major series' (mx/sx road racing and flat track) with some traveling medical support staff.
How about them having an option to give the money that is spent printing and mailing that horrible AMA magazine to this and other uses?
prozach
5/27/2014 4:24pm
What I can't understand is how I make less in a year than most these riders make in a few weeks and I don't expect free medical care when I race. So why do they??? What is so wrong with simply charging the riders for their service?

Why should spectators foot the bill or be asked to donatell to keep a great service for riders in operation? If they value it make the them foot the bill.
EastFlorida
5/27/2014 4:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2014 4:40pm
In concept, I don't think the unit should be supported by fans, but the industry/riders themselves. Now, saying that, as I mentioned earlier, I try to buy and support products that support the sport - for the medical unit and other well meaning services...

Isn't it late in the year to be realizing you're out of money? Aren't most sponsorship/support budgets long ago finalized?
RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
5/27/2014 4:51pm
Capone wrote:
Hey Davie my donation is I bought tickets to the south wick and unadilla nationals since 1990 please don't insult my intelligence you douche
Overdrive
5/27/2014 5:03pm
In concept, I don't think the unit should be supported by fans, but the industry/riders themselves. Now, saying that, as I mentioned earlier, I try to...
In concept, I don't think the unit should be supported by fans, but the industry/riders themselves. Now, saying that, as I mentioned earlier, I try to buy and support products that support the sport - for the medical unit and other well meaning services...

Isn't it late in the year to be realizing you're out of money? Aren't most sponsorship/support budgets long ago finalized?
I am sure AMMU had their budget set and were working that budget, but for some reason the $100k check from MXsports was slow to get to them. That's a large chunk of cash to go missing, so it would appear Doc went to the riders to get donation/bring awareness of the situation.

AMMU was under the assumption that some people were debating their worth and maybe thats why the check was slow in getting to them. I would like to hear why the check was slow and what was being debated.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/27/2014 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/27/2014 5:31pm
This is why MX needs to get some real journalist and not just the fan boys who report half truths. Looks like it was under control and taken care of before the rumors were even posted. These guys with cameras and tape recorders need to start asking some hard questions and get some facts and then print the story . I know they were going off what Dr Bodnar said but a few hard questions after he said it and nailing down a "on the record quote" and we would not have had a eight page thread on a non issue.BlushBlushBlushBlushBlushBlush
5/27/2014 5:16pm
prozach wrote:
What I can't understand is how I make less in a year than most these riders make in a few weeks and I don't expect free...
What I can't understand is how I make less in a year than most these riders make in a few weeks and I don't expect free medical care when I race. So why do they??? What is so wrong with simply charging the riders for their service?

Why should spectators foot the bill or be asked to donatell to keep a great service for riders in operation? If they value it make the them foot the bill.
Adults are having a conversation here. Please wait until they're done.

Thank you.
DonM
5/27/2014 5:17pm
DC wrote:
First of all, sorry I didn't chime into the other thread, I had no idea what it was about until an hour ago, and I was...

DC
MX Sports

Capone wrote:
He obviously didn't insult your "intelligence"....
Overdrive
5/27/2014 5:17pm
Feld was on the right on the ball, why is it a race in and we are just getting this announcement from MXsports?

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/27/2014 5:20pm
RonSkj wrote:
[img]http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/99/99916d263dca8ca1becaed690b8119ab862f0c3e3244d46683433d8587e7f2e7.jpg[/img]
It sounds like summer vacation to me.

Post a reply to: Asterisk Mobile Medics

The Latest