Asking people to ride at their house?

kawi448
Edited Date/Time 3/23/2015 6:44am
I know there are a lot of private backyard tracks around me, is it worth it posting on fb asking if people might consider taking a good payment to let 1 person ride once in a while there or is that a little weird? It'd definitely be a worthwhile amount of $$ and It just be 1 person (me) on their terms
|
VilloFan951
3/22/2015 9:14pm
That's a big thin to ask. I would think they would have a issue with you possibly getting hurt on the land and trying to sue them but maybe somthing could be worked out like a contract stating you take full responsibility for what happens to yourself
3/22/2015 9:31pm
You can sign whatever you want... If you get hurt, it won't stop your health insurer from suing
Allracing
3/22/2015 9:37pm
I have a private track, and I've stopped letting anyone ride there except 3-4 close friends ride there because people would show back up with 2-3 other people asking if they could ride too. One time I showed up and there were about 15 people there riding, and I didn't know any of them, and none of them had signed a waiver, and someone had cut my $40 lock off the gate, and no one wanted to get me a new one. I got sick of babysitting and always kicking people out, so now I don't let anyone except a couple close friends that I really trust ride there.
kawi448
3/22/2015 9:49pm
I can understand all the reasons why people would say no and that's why I'm asking. Just trying to think of any and Every way to ride as much as I can. Just a thought, I just want to kno if I should even bother asking

The Shop

3/22/2015 9:53pm
I would stray away from using someone else's private track. In my opinion, this is just opening a can of worms. For that amount of money, why not go to practice days at a local track? The track will probably be better maintained and more "fun" than any private track.
3/22/2015 10:01pm
A good friend of mine has a bunch of acreage with a Mx track at his house. He has always let me ride it when ever I please and I got full use of his tractor to maintain/change things up. I'm pretty lucky to have this. For the longest time it was pretty much me and a few others that were allowed to go there up until a couple years ago when his son started coming to the races and racing with us.
There are around 20 people total that he is ok with riding his track. He got to know them and feel them out. His biggest concern is someone ending up badly hurt then their insurance coming after him and loosing the farm. I got a bunch of moto friends that know about the place and want to know when we are going riding there. All I can say is no. Some have asked him and he told them no as well.
Some advise in the case you ask someone and they say yes is to make sure you bring out what you brought in.
Offer to help them out with the track or anything else they got going on on their property. Little things go a long way with most people.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
3/22/2015 10:28pm
I have had the privilege to ride an amazing private track for the last few months. It's groomed multiple times a day to keep it safe and has fun obstacles and some technical sections as well. Perfect orange clay on the whole track which is rare around here and the owners are amazing people that just love the sport. The dad, his son and daughter all ride and I am so lucky to call them friends. Really enjoying it and hope it lasts as it should. Only six of us usually ride during the week but about twenty guy show up from all over on weekends.
me_da_racer
3/22/2015 10:49pm
We have a track at the house now. I let people ride all the time for no charge. First off, if I charge and someone gets hurt then that opens up a big can of worms. It also helps my son, who is now faster then me, have people to ride with. Just ask, all they can do is say "No", ty can't eat you.
IWreckALot
3/23/2015 4:58am
We have a track at the house now. I let people ride all the time for no charge. First off, if I charge and someone gets...
We have a track at the house now. I let people ride all the time for no charge. First off, if I charge and someone gets hurt then that opens up a big can of worms. It also helps my son, who is now faster then me, have people to ride with. Just ask, all they can do is say "No", ty can't eat you.
I don't think there is any sure fire way to keep someone from suing you in the event of an injury. We've heard of frivolous lawsuits where people break in to other peoples houses, get injured, then sue the homeowners. There wasn't any payment involved in those incidents.

I can see the logic in the theory that taking money shows that you acknowledged and allowed them to be there, but a waiver would probably be the way that I'd rather go than to just openly allowing someone to ride on my property.
loftyair
3/23/2015 6:05am
Take video of them saying no lawsuit no matter what, still might sue, but have that for judge and jury.
3/23/2015 6:19am
You can sign whatever you want... If you get hurt, it won't stop your health insurer from suing
^This^ All the waivers and videos are essentially useless if the insurance attorneys get involved. Even if they are useful, you are still out thousands for attorney fees.
Darryl916
3/23/2015 6:44am
Riding someones private track is a touchy thing. I have friends with tracks that I ride from time to time. It's a strict list of rules involved or unspoken "etiquette" if you will, to riding someones track.

First off there are different levels to the term private. I know some people who have wavers and it's somewhat of a free for all, if you are in the know enough to know about it you know enough to ride there. I know others that are somewhat of a free for all but you pay a small fee and sign a waver. Again, if you know about it enough to know where it is and what days the guys are riding then you are in the know enough to be there. Then there are true private tracks intended for personal use only and MAYBE close friends. The below list of rules apply to the latter, personal use tracks.

1. Be friends FIRST - Duchebags come out of the woodwork from all angles when you have a track. Don't be THAT guy! It gets really old fast for track owners.

2. Once you're in, don't bring other people (unless you're told it ok without asking) - See rule #1

3. Don't ask, get invited - See rule #1

4. Offer to help out with the maintenance

5. Don't be a goon! - Most private tracks are a little (or a lot) less safe and forgiving than a track intended for the public. Don't put everyone in a awkward situation doing stuff you aren't skilled enough to do exposing yourself to get seriously hurt. If you aren't a pretty good rider, don't go looking sketchy at someones house. Stick to public places until you are a better rider. Also see #3. Usually you won't get invited if you aren't a certain caliber of rider. Don't take it personal.

Post a reply to: Asking people to ride at their house?

The Latest