Ask Ping (on future of sport)

Moto810
Edited Date/Time 7/29/2016 9:32am
The second question and answer today was very good. I have a good deal of respect for Ping and when faced with a real honest concern or question he gives an educated answer! This is the type of person we need in our sport who could help direct the future of the sport!

Note, he is not biased for two strokes or four strokes but that they got it wrong on the cc's rule. If the powers in charge now would simply make a change, the sport could be more affordable for so many more riders! Don't get me wrong this is not the only issue that could help the sport, but it is a major issue. If you tackle one problem at a time you could make some nice improvements over a year or two!

I also like that he speaks out even though his boss is one of the rule makers in question!

http://racerxonline.com/2016/07/29/ask-ping
|
msp138
7/29/2016 10:00am
The best way to grow the sport is to bring the talent and money that comes with it back to the local scene. I remember Nick Wey ripping it up at Baja Acres a couple of weeks before his pro debut. The way I see to do it is only make one amateur national matter (Loretta Lynn's). Now a days the really fast kids just train all year to do a few select races. No top amateur would not race all year for one national. This would bring bigger crowds to the local level and in turn more business would be willing to sponsor more kids. Just having a sign in the pits of your business with a nice family to represent was worth it in the 90s. Probably will never happen though. My .02
Moto810
7/29/2016 10:13am
There are many ways to help grow the sport yes. To your point I do think now with all the private tracks it is a shame that it is very rare to see Pro riders riding practice at their local tracks or even racing at the local level. I think it is really cool when I see a rider like Chad Reed racing at Dade City.

I can not say this is the "best way" by no means. Just one of many ways to help. Cost and safety are the two main areas preventing many from enjoying the sport we all love so much.
Titan1
7/29/2016 10:34am
I don't want to grow the sport...growing the sport doesn't benefit me in the slightest (so, yeah, I'm being selfish)...and I liked it better when if I saw someone with a Fox T-Shirt on at the mall, I knew that they owned a bike...Keep the sport small...
msp138
7/29/2016 10:43am
Titan1 wrote:
I don't want to grow the sport...growing the sport doesn't benefit me in the slightest (so, yeah, I'm being selfish)...and I liked it better when if...
I don't want to grow the sport...growing the sport doesn't benefit me in the slightest (so, yeah, I'm being selfish)...and I liked it better when if I saw someone with a Fox T-Shirt on at the mall, I knew that they owned a bike...Keep the sport small...
I'm sure having more places and areas to ride due to increased interest has to benefit you somewhat right? Even if you have a place now to ride it could get shut down.

The Shop

Titan1
7/29/2016 10:51am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2016 12:52pm
Titan1 wrote:
I don't want to grow the sport...growing the sport doesn't benefit me in the slightest (so, yeah, I'm being selfish)...and I liked it better when if...
msp138 wrote:
I'm sure having more places and areas to ride due to increased interest has to benefit you somewhat right? Even if you have a place now...
I'm sure having more places and areas to ride due to increased interest has to benefit you somewhat right? Even if you have a place now to ride it could get shut down.
It seems most riding areas I know of get shut down because so many people ride there...leave their crap all over the place, ride off trail (I ride off road), don't respect other people (who are there doing things other than riding), so people complain, area gets closed.

In the off road world, people are the problem...
RCB33
Fantasy
118th
7/29/2016 11:28am
I may be in the minority but electric is the future,if you disagree,the one question i have for you is if you have ever actually rode an electric bike. If you still feel it isn't, fine. The two strokes will never be back how they were at one time, and 4 strokes are to blame for many of out sports current problems,so if you want this sport to truly grow, someone find a way to make a cost effective and light electric.
cslacker
7/29/2016 11:35am
Titan1 wrote:
msp138 wrote:
I'm sure having more places and areas to ride due to increased interest has to benefit you somewhat right? Even if you have a place now...
Titan1 wrote:
It seems most riding areas I know of get shut down because so many people ride there...leave their crap all over the place, ride off trail...
It seems most riding areas I know of get shut down because so many people ride there...leave their crap all over the place, ride off trail (I ride off road), don't respect other people (who are there doing things other than riding), so people complain, area gets closed.

100% agree. Growing the sport might help mx tracks but helps to kill offroad.
Moto810
7/29/2016 11:52am
RCB33 wrote:
I may be in the minority but electric is the future,if you disagree,the one question i have for you is if you have ever actually rode...
I may be in the minority but electric is the future,if you disagree,the one question i have for you is if you have ever actually rode an electric bike. If you still feel it isn't, fine. The two strokes will never be back how they were at one time, and 4 strokes are to blame for many of out sports current problems,so if you want this sport to truly grow, someone find a way to make a cost effective and light electric.
I agree that electric is the future for sure! I also agree that this sport is not a main stream sport and won't ever be. It is a small sport and I am good with that. I just think we should have entry level bikes and stepping stones for those who want to join. I keep a close eye on the electric bikes and know that day is coming!
gt80rider
7/29/2016 12:45pm
Electric is the future? Perhaps, if it is forced on us like 4 strokes were. Have I ridden electric? Yes, but don't own one. I do own a fully converted electric car.

There are multiple problems with electric mx bikes- no sound, no smell, high price, and long charge times. We ride for a visceral experience, electric bikes are missing a big part of that. Will we be forced to ride them some day, or marketed to that they are what we really want instead of fuel based? The writing is on the wall for that one, that is almost a certainty.
7/29/2016 1:09pm
Can the sport support 3 classes? Can we add a 125 class and still fit everything in?

Seems like there is demand, I am sure the sponsors would be down....lack of money?
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
7/29/2016 1:16pm
RCB33 wrote:
I may be in the minority but electric is the future,if you disagree,the one question i have for you is if you have ever actually rode...
Spot on. Noise and cost are the issues hurting the sport. Electric bikes take away the biggest complaint that non riders have about motorcycles. How many tracks could have survived if noise hadn't been an issue? In WA, one recently might have been able to open were it not for noise.

Google Duthie Hill mountain bike park and pictures the same thing in your neighborhood, but for electric motorcycles. There's no reason it can't happen.
es337
7/29/2016 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2016 1:30pm
gt80rider wrote:
Electric is the future? Perhaps, if it is forced on us like 4 strokes were. Have I ridden electric? Yes, but don't own one. I do...
Electric is the future? Perhaps, if it is forced on us like 4 strokes were. Have I ridden electric? Yes, but don't own one. I do own a fully converted electric car.

There are multiple problems with electric mx bikes- no sound, no smell, high price, and long charge times. We ride for a visceral experience, electric bikes are missing a big part of that. Will we be forced to ride them some day, or marketed to that they are what we really want instead of fuel based? The writing is on the wall for that one, that is almost a certainty.
Well 4 strokes were sold as being superior for their linear power band giving tractable, smooth power delivery. Therefore going from a 4 stroke to an electric motor which has a perfectly flat torque curve only makes sense if you want to go faster.

Marc fenigsteign from ALTA had a good comment about your apprehension to loosing the visceral experience of an ICE. Paraphrasing, he used the analogy of riding an ICE being like playing a guitar with a paint shaker on it. If you remove the paint shaker you can feel and experience every nuiance of the bikes charactersistics that you always hear the pros describe but that you may not currently be able to feel
Titan1
7/29/2016 1:57pm
As long as the performance is on par with todays modern bikes (power, suspension, handling, versatility, RANGE, etc.) I'd ride an electric bike. I've got no loyalty to the ICE...but I won't take a step backwards in performance for electric just because its quieter.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
7/29/2016 3:42pm
Can the sport support 3 classes? Can we add a 125 class and still fit everything in? Seems like there is demand, I am sure the...
Can the sport support 3 classes? Can we add a 125 class and still fit everything in?

Seems like there is demand, I am sure the sponsors would be down....lack of money?
it could be done but one class will take a huge back seat which is why 500's went away in the first place. and there is the problem of adding it to the day schedule.

but here is how i would do it. This mostly is geared towards the nationals

125 Pro Am class.they could run 15-20 min motos before the 250's. It doenst need tv coverage, if anything it can be shown as a highlight reel while we wait for the main races to be televised

125's are cheap to run and build so a team could easily support building one or two bikes and also pay the riders very little to no money. they are also cheap enough privateers who are seeking a ride on a 250 or 450 can showcase them selves without spending every penny they have.

to help ensure a full gate of screamers, no age limit. and no one who holds a current pro license ( ie anyone who is active pro). this ensures most younger up and coming guys get in on the action and still allows for those retired guys like Hot Sauce and Ping to have some fun. think of it like the crossroads for old and new

It would be a regional series, but it would be three separate ones. East west and central.
West: Hangtown, Glen Helen, Colorado, Washougal
Central: Red Bud, MillVille, Tennesee, Iron Man
East: High Point, Unadilla, Southwick, Budds Creek,

. This keeps travel costs down for the fringe racers and working men who want to race but not at the full level. and gets more local(low level) pros out for some racing
Frodad78
7/29/2016 4:05pm
Can the sport support 3 classes? Can we add a 125 class and still fit everything in? Seems like there is demand, I am sure the...

it could be done but one class will take a huge back seat which is why 500's went away in the first place. and there is...
it could be done but one class will take a huge back seat which is why 500's went away in the first place. and there is the problem of adding it to the day schedule.

but here is how i would do it. This mostly is geared towards the nationals

125 Pro Am class.they could run 15-20 min motos before the 250's. It doenst need tv coverage, if anything it can be shown as a highlight reel while we wait for the main races to be televised

125's are cheap to run and build so a team could easily support building one or two bikes and also pay the riders very little to no money. they are also cheap enough privateers who are seeking a ride on a 250 or 450 can showcase them selves without spending every penny they have.

to help ensure a full gate of screamers, no age limit. and no one who holds a current pro license ( ie anyone who is active pro). this ensures most younger up and coming guys get in on the action and still allows for those retired guys like Hot Sauce and Ping to have some fun. think of it like the crossroads for old and new

It would be a regional series, but it would be three separate ones. East west and central.
West: Hangtown, Glen Helen, Colorado, Washougal
Central: Red Bud, MillVille, Tennesee, Iron Man
East: High Point, Unadilla, Southwick, Budds Creek,

. This keeps travel costs down for the fringe racers and working men who want to race but not at the full level. and gets more local(low level) pros out for some racing
Well said! Love this idea.
Crush
7/29/2016 5:26pm
Just make all junior amateurs two strokes only...

And the pro classes 125two stroke entry and 250 four stroke big class.
cason402
7/29/2016 5:36pm
people always talk about growing the sport....

i have never in 45 years of following this sport, (somewhat intensely), seen anyone produce any research on the size of the sport.

not what it was, or what it is. all just anecdotal guessing.

so my guess from 45 years of observation is; that there are some small percentage of people who get mx and have the balls to race mx. that percentage is somewhat stagnate in the population.

no matter how many times a female pit reporter demonstrates tear off's or weege explains the two moto format.
Crush
7/29/2016 6:33pm
cason402 wrote:
people always talk about growing the sport.... i have never in 45 years of following this sport, (somewhat intensely), seen anyone produce any research on the...

i have never in 45 years of following this sport, (somewhat intensely), seen anyone produce any research on the size of the sport.

so my guess from 45 years of observation is; that there are some small percentage of people who get mx and have the balls to race mx. that percentage is somewhat stagnate in the population.

no matter how many times a female pit reporter demonstrates tear off's or weege explains the two moto format.
Bike sales are definitely not at an all time high.
vetmxr
7/29/2016 7:19pm
cason402 wrote:
people always talk about growing the sport.... i have never in 45 years of following this sport, (somewhat intensely), seen anyone produce any research on the...

Crush wrote:
I can remember in 1984 my local little dealer would take orders for new motocross bikes and when I got the call to come pick mine up there were literally twenty plus 125.....20 plus 250's and probably 30 80's all in a row ready for pick up.....I'll never forget that visual.....the floor was literally lime green (kx's) and you could pick any one machine out of a linup of like kind machines....so cool for a young guy......after a week or two there were maybe 5 of each on the floor and as soon as the season started they were mostly all gone......good times for sure.....I only wish I'd of taken a picture of that scene......shops were places you hung out and shot the shit with everyone for hours....Not like that anymore in my area....They would literally have a huge bon fire with all the crating material that they came in.
hvaughn88
7/29/2016 7:42pm
cason402 wrote:

Crush wrote:
vetmxr wrote:
I can remember in 1984 my local little dealer would take orders for new motocross bikes and when I got the call to come pick mine...
I can remember in 1984 my local little dealer would take orders for new motocross bikes and when I got the call to come pick mine up there were literally twenty plus 125.....20 plus 250's and probably 30 80's all in a row ready for pick up.....I'll never forget that visual.....the floor was literally lime green (kx's) and you could pick any one machine out of a linup of like kind machines....so cool for a young guy......after a week or two there were maybe 5 of each on the floor and as soon as the season started they were mostly all gone......good times for sure.....I only wish I'd of taken a picture of that scene......shops were places you hung out and shot the shit with everyone for hours....Not like that anymore in my area....They would literally have a huge bon fire with all the crating material that they came in.
I was in a shop a few weeks ago and the salesman said it had been so long since they had an MX bike on their showroom that all the guys that worked there actually stopped what they were doing to look at one they ordered for a guy after it came in.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/29/2016 7:51pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2016 7:52pm
Phillip_Lamb, in a post above, has a great idea and the way to execute it. However, the health of the sport isn't really defined at the pro level(whether its actual pro racing or races showcased at the nationals). Whether you call it growth, health, 4T, 2T, or electric doesnt matter. What matters is the strength of the foundation that that those things can/do reside in. The foundation starts at the local level of racing (not organized practice). Until we find a solution to stabilize the foundation, efforts to get "normal people" back into the sport will be minimal and maybe futile.

Personally, I think we are on the precipice of not growing (not necessarily quant but qual) the sport but pulling out all the stops just to save it. I don't claim to know all of the possible solutions but until we focus on local racing we aren't even keeping staus quo but going backwards.

FYI, I didn't intend for this post to be argumentative, negative or even trying to correct other comments. The one thing we all have in common here is MX, so my intention with this post is to say we are all going to have to add to that commonality by coming together and attempting to find a solution or solutions. I dont want MX to become a sport of past tense verbs.
AZ35
Fantasy
544th
7/29/2016 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 7/29/2016 8:11pm
All I know is that if anyone who has ever raced a MX motorcycle, who watches that RacerX video of the 125 dream race with Ping's GoPro, who doesn't want to go ride immediately after watching that video- then they should try golf.

Right now in Phoenix it is dark, hot as hell, but still I want to go fire up my TC250 in the garage just to hear it- I want to ride so bad after watching that video. That was amazing.

It really brought back a lot of great memories of 125cc bikes, to those who never had the opportunity to race a 125 (for real, not as a novelty) you missed out.

May not be the "answer" but it was a lot of fun to race a 125 (when everyone was racing125's). Kids now don't know what they missed.
Moto810
7/29/2016 8:46pm
kzizok wrote:
Phillip_Lamb, in a post above, has a great idea and the way to execute it. However, the health of the sport isn't really defined at the...
Phillip_Lamb, in a post above, has a great idea and the way to execute it. However, the health of the sport isn't really defined at the pro level(whether its actual pro racing or races showcased at the nationals). Whether you call it growth, health, 4T, 2T, or electric doesnt matter. What matters is the strength of the foundation that that those things can/do reside in. The foundation starts at the local level of racing (not organized practice). Until we find a solution to stabilize the foundation, efforts to get "normal people" back into the sport will be minimal and maybe futile.

Personally, I think we are on the precipice of not growing (not necessarily quant but qual) the sport but pulling out all the stops just to save it. I don't claim to know all of the possible solutions but until we focus on local racing we aren't even keeping staus quo but going backwards.

FYI, I didn't intend for this post to be argumentative, negative or even trying to correct other comments. The one thing we all have in common here is MX, so my intention with this post is to say we are all going to have to add to that commonality by coming together and attempting to find a solution or solutions. I dont want MX to become a sport of past tense verbs.
I like what you say "health of the sport". I think that we should all change our wording from growing the sport to be "health of the sport" because of what many people have said on this thread. It is not needed that the sport become huge but just healthy.

My education in the sport is coming from watching racing since about 1980. In the past 5 years I have spoken with many track owners and they often say the sport was much larger back in the early 2000's. The two stroke thing is not the only issue of blame. There is plenty to go around!
steve_97060
7/29/2016 9:31pm
msp138 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
It seems most riding areas I know of get shut down because so many people ride there...leave their crap all over the place, ride off trail...

cslacker wrote:
100% agree. Growing the sport might help mx tracks but helps to kill offroad.
growing the sport? that ship has sailed.

anyone who was around and saw the 70's and early 80's can tell you the sport is a fraction of what it once was.

growing the sport today merely means slowing(not stopping) the further contraction.
Calihusky
7/29/2016 11:09pm
When I was a kid(70s and 80s) every vacant lot or sand pit was a potential riding place. So many kids wanted a dirt bike and would just go and ride terrain they were comfortable with. Fast forward to my 30s when I get back into riding and I'm all confused at the track because I can't find anything that looks like a beginner track. The "beginner track" has 40 foot tables, the vet track has 60+ foot tables and the "regular track" has 100 foot jumps. I was ready to just pack it in but since I loved dirt bikes I just kept at it until I felt comfortable again. However my kids refuse to ride because the few times we went out to the "peewee" track there were kids ripping on KTMs and Cobras and they wanted nothing to do with it. Anyone I've ever taken to a motocross event thinks it's amazing but nothing that they would ever want to do because it looks insanely dangerous. However, if I bring my pit bike into my back yard everyone wants to have a go.
I personally think the problem is there's hardly any place to ride and everything about tracks is geared toward the tiny percentage of people that dream about going pro rather than creating a safe environment for people to learn to ride. How about putting a little strider bike track in so the kiddos can start out and maybe want a dirt bike when they are old enough? I guarantee you take 100 people that have never ridden to Milestone or Glen Helen on a busy day and maybe 1 or 2 would want to jump on a bike and head out on the track.
RMZ#
7/30/2016 3:44am Edited Date/Time 7/30/2016 4:26am
msp138 wrote:
The best way to grow the sport is to bring the talent and money that comes with it back to the local scene. I remember Nick...
The best way to grow the sport is to bring the talent and money that comes with it back to the local scene. I remember Nick Wey ripping it up at Baja Acres a couple of weeks before his pro debut. The way I see to do it is only make one amateur national matter (Loretta Lynn's). Now a days the really fast kids just train all year to do a few select races. No top amateur would not race all year for one national. This would bring bigger crowds to the local level and in turn more business would be willing to sponsor more kids. Just having a sign in the pits of your business with a nice family to represent was worth it in the 90s. Probably will never happen though. My .02
The Health of the sport at the local level bad. The only way to grow this sport is at the entry level. 10 plus yrs ago it cost 1,000 to check this sport out. Pick up a PW50 a little gear and head to the track. The PW50 market is now dead. Now it cost 3000. You have to go buy a piece of shit Cobra or a KTM Hot 50 to check the sport out. Nobody is going to throw down that kind of money. The proof is in the numbers for mini entries. At Baja Acres in in late May there were less than 50 65-85 class entries total. There were around 15 hot 50's total . It gets worse every year. So when someone wants to look at the health of the sport that's where you go. The mini classes tell the story of where this sport has been and where it is going.

If you go total racer entries it was around 230. Those are sad numbers for this track.

The numbers don't lie. It is getting closer to game over at the local level in Michigan.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
7/30/2016 7:30am

Well manufactures wouldn't like it that don't make a 125. Complaints of TV time..

I say outdoor 125mx class can happen. TV coverage could be limited to highlights of 1st motos, and a full second motos in all 3 classes. Make the 125 25min plus 2.

The one day outdoors/supercross really limits what you can do.
7/30/2016 7:39am
Titan1 wrote:
I agree, we just have to make sure it doesnt shrink.

Post a reply to: Ask Ping (on future of sport)

The Latest