Arm pump fix

Acidreamer
I thought id share what i did to alleviate my arm pump in hopes of it helping someone else.

Back at the end of 2015 i had started walking and eventually running everyday to try to get in better shape. I noticed after a month or so i was able to ride pretty much as long as i wanted before my hands cramped up.

The 2016 season i did absolutely no daily walking/running and was only able to ride 1 or 2 laps before having wicked arm pump. I know cardio is one of the main things to get rid of arm pump, but this post isnt about that.

Im an engineer and spend most of my day sitting at a desk(working 10-12 hour days). So to get to the point.. i found out that my calf muscle had gotten weaker from not exercising like i used to. so what happens is my legs get tired, and then cant hold good form and start putting weight on my hands and holding on tighter. All causes of arm pump. I know a lot of people have desk jobs or jobs where they dont get to walk around much. So what ive found is if you can strengthen your legs by walking/running/ or cycling standing up, you can rely on your legs more while riding and keep the weight off your arms.

Im sure all of this is basic to some people but ive been trying to fix arm pump for so long and nothing worked until i found this out.

Also, if youre already pumped up, you can have someone press their thumbs into your forearms and it makes the pump go away.
|
2/6/2017 6:35am
Ye I've noticed that myself. I always had an absolute death grip on the bars up until recently when I lost a lot of weight and started crossfit, now my hands are loose on the bars and I just grip with my legs. No arm pump at all these days, my legs just get a little tired by the end of a days riding.
kaptkaos
2/6/2017 6:58am
I keep reading and hearing, grip with your legs....my legs are plenty strong and I cycle a lot and do a lot of Plyo, problem is I dont understand or know how to use my legs to grip a bike!

I have this death grip on everything I ride, cars, MTB, ATV, Harley...I always get this death grip and have to remind myself to ease up the hands, but in MX, by that time its too late.

This is not as easy as it sounds..at my slow speed I can ride around for a decent while without arm pump, but if i try to go fast, I get arm fatigue pretty quickly. If I am in cardio shape at the time, I can go a little longer.

The Shop

rubarb
2/6/2017 7:35am
This thread should have a welcome to Spodevill sign on it.
Haha, so rad
Zycki11
2/6/2017 7:52am
kaptkaos wrote:
I keep reading and hearing, grip with your legs....my legs are plenty strong and I cycle a lot and do a lot of Plyo, problem is...
I keep reading and hearing, grip with your legs....my legs are plenty strong and I cycle a lot and do a lot of Plyo, problem is I dont understand or know how to use my legs to grip a bike!

I have this death grip on everything I ride, cars, MTB, ATV, Harley...I always get this death grip and have to remind myself to ease up the hands, but in MX, by that time its too late.

This is not as easy as it sounds..at my slow speed I can ride around for a decent while without arm pump, but if i try to go fast, I get arm fatigue pretty quickly. If I am in cardio shape at the time, I can go a little longer.
Few things to consider....

1. Before entering every turn, try and take a deep breath
2. Pick specific breathing points on the track and DO NOT miss them
3. Take deep breathes over every jump while relaxing your hands on the bars. (straighten them out and reapply grip)
4. Griping with your legs is just what it says. When accelerating, squeeze with your legs into the bike. This puts less force on the arms/hands. Turning, push your outside leg in the bike in the knee area as well as weighting the peg. Inside leg raise high, and pressuring the inside shroud.

These little things will help you relax, along with riding consistently, this will in turn allow you to push and prevail.
kkawboy14
2/6/2017 7:54am
Acidreamer wrote:
I thought id share what i did to alleviate my arm pump in hopes of it helping someone else. Back at the end of 2015 i...
I thought id share what i did to alleviate my arm pump in hopes of it helping someone else.

Back at the end of 2015 i had started walking and eventually running everyday to try to get in better shape. I noticed after a month or so i was able to ride pretty much as long as i wanted before my hands cramped up.

The 2016 season i did absolutely no daily walking/running and was only able to ride 1 or 2 laps before having wicked arm pump. I know cardio is one of the main things to get rid of arm pump, but this post isnt about that.

Im an engineer and spend most of my day sitting at a desk(working 10-12 hour days). So to get to the point.. i found out that my calf muscle had gotten weaker from not exercising like i used to. so what happens is my legs get tired, and then cant hold good form and start putting weight on my hands and holding on tighter. All causes of arm pump. I know a lot of people have desk jobs or jobs where they dont get to walk around much. So what ive found is if you can strengthen your legs by walking/running/ or cycling standing up, you can rely on your legs more while riding and keep the weight off your arms.

Im sure all of this is basic to some people but ive been trying to fix arm pump for so long and nothing worked until i found this out.

Also, if youre already pumped up, you can have someone press their thumbs into your forearms and it makes the pump go away.
All good advice! Also, breath thru your nose. Breathing thru your mouth causes you to hyperventilate pumping you up.
kaptkaos
2/6/2017 7:55am
kaptkaos wrote:
I keep reading and hearing, grip with your legs....my legs are plenty strong and I cycle a lot and do a lot of Plyo, problem is...

Zycki11 wrote:
Few things to consider.... 1. Before entering every turn, try and take a deep breath 2. Pick specific breathing points on the track and DO NOT...
Few things to consider....

1. Before entering every turn, try and take a deep breath
2. Pick specific breathing points on the track and DO NOT miss them
3. Take deep breathes over every jump while relaxing your hands on the bars. (straighten them out and reapply grip)
4. Griping with your legs is just what it says. When accelerating, squeeze with your legs into the bike. This puts less force on the arms/hands. Turning, push your outside leg in the bike in the knee area as well as weighting the peg. Inside leg raise high, and pressuring the inside shroud.

These little things will help you relax, along with riding consistently, this will in turn allow you to push and prevail.
Thanks!

#3 is a problem as I dont get a lot of air!
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
2/6/2017 7:58am
Another thing to watch is RSI/forearm fatigue from desk work. It's surprising how much typing and using a mouse can fatigue your forearms, sometimes to the extent of getting repetitive strain injury.

Ensure your desk is set up well so that your arm/wrist position is neutral. Use the mouse and type as little as possible and getting good forearm/hand rest can help a lot.

I speak from experience as I started 2016 with arm pump/weak grip as a result of overuse in the week.
Acidreamer
2/6/2017 8:36am
kaptkaos wrote:

For me personally cycling isnt as good as walking or running. Having your weight on the balls of your feet is what really strengthens everything. Its easy to cheat that on a bicycle. As far as gripping with your legs, i jist keep my pegs sharp and move my feet as far inboard as possible and it keeps your legs locked in without effort.
Camp332
2/6/2017 8:38am
Make the time to get your workouts in, boys and girls!
TX_187
2/6/2017 9:01am
I always have this great plan on how I'm going to grip with my legs and remember to breathe. Then two laps later I engage the death grip and quickly start searching for the nearest exit. It's get better the more I ride, but those first rides after a month or so off are always brutal for me.

motosurf
2/6/2017 9:22am
You learn this when you're a kid...
hvaughn88
2/6/2017 9:30am
motosurf wrote:
You learn this when you're a kid...
some people start riding as adults
twotwosix
2/6/2017 9:48am
Wait... So being in better shape and riding with better technique helps with arm pump? Say Whaaaaaa!
Acidreamer
2/6/2017 11:08am
twotwosix wrote:
Wait... So being in better shape and riding with better technique helps with arm pump? Say Whaaaaaa!
Most people dont know exactly what to work on to help with moto. You say be in shape and people think that means maxing out your benchpress thinking that makes you a 1337 moto racer. Helps to be specific
twotwosix
2/6/2017 11:38am
twotwosix wrote:
Acidreamer wrote:
Most people dont know exactly what to work on to help with moto. You say be in shape and people think that means maxing out your...
Most people dont know exactly what to work on to help with moto. You say be in shape and people think that means maxing out your benchpress thinking that makes you a 1337 moto racer. Helps to be specific
I like your post. Thank you for sharing. It just find it hilarious how little common sense is ever applied to dealing with Arm pump issues.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
2/6/2017 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2017 12:05pm
Skidaddle wrote:
[img]http://www.neurosoup.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/800px-LSD-2D-skeletal-formula-and-3D-models.png[/img]
Worked for Dock Ellis but for a dreamer?
Camp332
2/6/2017 12:21pm
Essentially, the theme of this thread bros, is never... never skip leg day.

aaaand that everyday is arms day.
potatoflake
2/6/2017 1:33pm
Took me 10 years of riding to realize that,

my favorite weapon of choice is a stair stepper I don't know what it is but they really just kick my ass

I also noticed that not being over weight anymore helps me a ton!
MotoMalyDad
2/6/2017 1:40pm
Took me 10 years of riding to realize that, my favorite weapon of choice is a stair stepper I don't know what it is but they...

my favorite weapon of choice is a stair stepper I don't know what it is but they really just kick my ass

But doesn't the extra weight aid in traction ? See everything has an equal opposite. The way of the universe .
potatoflake
2/6/2017 3:20pm
Took me 10 years of riding to realize that, my favorite weapon of choice is a stair stepper I don't know what it is but they...

But doesn't the extra weight aid in traction ? See everything has an equal opposite. The way of the universe .
got me there, i would always holeshot the muddy races Evil
brimx153
2/6/2017 3:31pm
i think Running is the best way to get rid of arm pump . I find cycling useless for getting fit for MX . i Think running gets me aerobicly fit .(which stops the armpump) and cycling is more anaerobic .
Mr. G
2/6/2017 4:48pm
Playing in a drum line for two years cured mine. True story. Super fit hands. We had guys from the Blue Devil drum corps teaching us and they had us play as hard as we could M-F for about 15-20 minutes each day. We ended up having to get woven drum heads that you could poke a hole in and they would hold up. Totally cured.
reded
2/6/2017 4:59pm
Too many fuckin smartasses in here. For some of us the struggle is real but I'm trying to fix it this year. I bought a rower and plan to stick with it. I'm tired of arm pump kicking my ass after 3 laps.
cd0583
2/6/2017 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2017 5:23pm
You know what helped me? No caffeine, and limited meat. Essentially, a plant based. The diet gave me energy and efficiency for days, and eliminated my arm pump completely. I workout about 4 times a week also..
reded
2/6/2017 5:31pm
Any explanation as to why a lack of meat in ones diet would lead to no arm pump? I'm not a scientist.

Post a reply to: Arm pump fix

The Latest