Arm pump - Just a thought

Cliffy615
Fantasy
3109th
10/9/2017 1:58am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2017 9:59pm
This may end up in the dumbgeon but just a thought I had the other day, compression wear has become more popular in sport as it increases blood flow to area of compression, if there was such a thing as fore arm compression sleeves would it increase the blood flow to your forearms and reduce arm pump?
|
Acidreamer
10/9/2017 2:12am
Only cure for arm pump that ive found(and ive tried a fuck ton of shit) is to be riding at least once a week and getting to the point where youre doing at least 3 30min motos at 80-90% of your speed. Also need good enough cardio so that those 3 motos dont feel like you did any cardio.. if that makes sense. Also take the time and go slow so you learn to lean into the acceleration and lean backwards while braking. Do that for 3-4 weeks and you should be golden. No need to try to be an A class rider in 3 trips out.
10/9/2017 2:42am
I don't know. I get pretty bad arm pump when I wear my Thor Prime Fit jersey (it's very tight around the fore arms). Not so much in loose jerseys.

Could be a placebo effect though.
tempura
10/9/2017 4:13am
Seat time.
Eat clean, keep hydrated.
There's no magic pill, drink or jersey.

The Shop

hillbilly
10/9/2017 4:24am
Broom stick,rope and weight tied on rope.

Extend arms,roll up ,roll down,repeat till pain frys brain.
Lastander
10/9/2017 4:36am
Funny that you make this thread, im right now in a private clinic getting my arms checked for compartment syndrome as even my work gets fucked because of my armpump, ill give you a review after my appointment and later after my surgery
downard254
10/9/2017 4:43am
I was just thinking about this that last week or so. My arms are strong as all get out, my cardio is probably so so, but driving my truck down the road holding my coffee mug by the handle and my arm will pump up. If I go to the track and jump on my 250 2 stroke, I’ll get a lap or two in before my arms are so hard I could drive nails with them. If I jump on my sons 125, I can probably go twice as long. I’m guessing it’s just lack of seat time and not being comfortable so I’m riding tight with the death grip. Still doesn’t explain the arm pump from holding a cup.
TJMX947
10/9/2017 5:09am
My wife let me buy a new bike this year. I now rub her feet every night...that's why I have arm pump.
JB 19
10/9/2017 5:19am
Acidreamer wrote:
Only cure for arm pump that ive found(and ive tried a fuck ton of shit) is to be riding at least once a week and getting...
Only cure for arm pump that ive found(and ive tried a fuck ton of shit) is to be riding at least once a week and getting to the point where youre doing at least 3 30min motos at 80-90% of your speed. Also need good enough cardio so that those 3 motos dont feel like you did any cardio.. if that makes sense. Also take the time and go slow so you learn to lean into the acceleration and lean backwards while braking. Do that for 3-4 weeks and you should be golden. No need to try to be an A class rider in 3 trips out.
This. There are no short cuts or magic bullets.
Prejump
10/9/2017 6:01am
Compression gear wont help much. Have tried that.

Improved riding technique will make the number 1 difference. That's a pretty big area to find improvements.

If you want to try to prepare your arm's to deal will the demands of mx. Then a warm up routine, combined with a nobbly foam roller will help the most. Foam rollers if used correctly will stretch/relax the fascia surrounding the muscles, allowing the muscles to function more efficiently.

I
newmann
10/9/2017 6:08am
hillbilly wrote:
Broom stick,rope and weight tied on rope.

Extend arms,roll up ,roll down,repeat till pain frys brain.
I had one with a big elastic band tied to a 10 lb. That weight bouncing around while you roll it up and down adds to the brain pain.

Making your workouts harder than your motos helps a lot. Warming up prior to your moto helps as well.
tempura
10/9/2017 6:16am
Pre: Stretch, breath, warm-up.
During: breath
racerx217
10/9/2017 6:39am
I am not by any means in great shape but I do ride with no arm pump. I ride prob once a week and dont put a ton of laps in but usually do 5 sessions at 15 minutes, or race 2 classes on race day with 2 practice sessions with no issues. My gym time only consists of cardio though and i think that is key. When i use to lift and do cardio i would have bad arm pump. Now only cardio and problem solved. I am sure everyone is different though.
KMC440
10/9/2017 7:34am
Dislocate your wrist .... a couple of fractures thrown in for good measure will help. After you're healed up you won't be able to grip strong enough to get arm pump. Blush Trust me.
Prejump
10/9/2017 9:02am
Arm pump has nothing to do with lactic acid & everything to do with blood flow.
Lastander
10/9/2017 9:33am
Got surgery booked november 6th on both arms due to compartment, i got a few friends that has gone through this surgery and all have full relief from arm pump
Titan1
10/9/2017 9:37am
Proper Technique will fix your arm pump problems (unless you've got a diagnosed medical problem)...Loosen your grip on the bars...keep your wrists, elbows, and shoulders loose...and breath, breath, breath, breath...support your upper body with your core...use your legs to hold you on the bike.

Much easier said than done (it takes a ton of practice)...and much easier if you are in shape (cardio, and leg/core strong enough to get you through a moto).

Prejump
10/9/2017 9:45am
Titan1 wrote:
Proper Technique will fix your arm pump problems (unless you've got a diagnosed medical problem)...Loosen your grip on the bars...keep your wrists, elbows, and shoulders loose...and...
Proper Technique will fix your arm pump problems (unless you've got a diagnosed medical problem)...Loosen your grip on the bars...keep your wrists, elbows, and shoulders loose...and breath, breath, breath, breath...support your upper body with your core...use your legs to hold you on the bike.

Much easier said than done (it takes a ton of practice)...and much easier if you are in shape (cardio, and leg/core strong enough to get you through a moto).

This is correct. The problem is when we are trying our hardest to ride fast. MX is a skill sport, takes a lot of timing.

It's a bit like learning to swim freestyle fast, technique is so important & when you start to push your self things start to unravel real fast.

Best way is to ride a variety of tracks & spend time working on line choice, flow, timing, body position. I think in reality the majority of riders just arnt talented enough to work it out. But it's one of the toughest sports in the world so nothing to be ashamed of, just be patient & ride just within your self.
Motoxdoc
10/9/2017 9:59am
An old idea. Kenny Safford of AXO or alpinestars....I forgot who he was with at the time (mechanix gloves now I believe)...came up with this a while ago. Compression jersey's are out there. I think it might help...sort of....maybe....a little. However, I don't think there's any magic trick that's going to completely eliminate arm pump for everyone. I remember something about Jeff Ward (I think) exercising his forearms with ice packs wrapped around them.Huh Never heard about that technique again. People have tried everything. You have to experiment and find what works for you.
Acidreamer
10/9/2017 10:18am
Increasing your lactic threshold is done by cardio. Therefore if you got lactic acid problems you need to do more cardio
Titan1
10/9/2017 10:35am
Titan1 wrote:
Proper Technique will fix your arm pump problems (unless you've got a diagnosed medical problem)...Loosen your grip on the bars...keep your wrists, elbows, and shoulders loose...and...

Prejump wrote:
This is correct. The problem is when we are trying our hardest to ride fast. MX is a skill sport, takes a lot of timing. It's...
This is correct. The problem is when we are trying our hardest to ride fast. MX is a skill sport, takes a lot of timing.

It's a bit like learning to swim freestyle fast, technique is so important & when you start to push your self things start to unravel real fast.

Best way is to ride a variety of tracks & spend time working on line choice, flow, timing, body position. I think in reality the majority of riders just arnt talented enough to work it out. But it's one of the toughest sports in the world so nothing to be ashamed of, just be patient & ride just within your self.
Very true!

I find I'm great (well good at it...the proper technique)...and then as the race goes on, and I get tired, my technique goes out the window. OR...like you said, when I start trying my hardest, the technique goes out the window.

Like I said...practice practice practice...its much easier said than done. It has to be practices so much that property techinque (including breathing correctly) is muscle memory...that it becomes subconscious...so our minds can focus on going fast, and our bodies will just use proper technique. And then we have to be in shape enough to do it for the entire race (which is usually around 3 hours for me as a hare and hound guy).
Prejump
10/9/2017 11:02am

Hmmm The only time I think Lactic Acid has really effected me is running a marathon, 20 miles it felt like my legs were on fire.

In MX riders can pump up after a couple mins when there not even out of breath.

I dont think the body will switch up to a *secondary lactate energy source that easily. It's way more likely muscles tension, from not being comfortable enough on the bike causes a blood flow traffic jam. The blood just want to deliver oxygen & glucose, but the muscle is tense, once the back up begins to occur it just exacerbates from there, we then ride more tense etc.

Improved fitness will help, as you will be able to move around on bike better. But ultimately you need to improve your talent.

Titan1
10/9/2017 11:30am
Gixxxerboy wrote:
pickle juice
I've heard of that for muscle cramps...but never for arm pump? Does it work? (It does for cramps...)
10/9/2017 11:43am
Lastander wrote:
Got surgery booked november 6th on both arms due to compartment, i got a few friends that has gone through this surgery and all have full...
Got surgery booked november 6th on both arms due to compartment, i got a few friends that has gone through this surgery and all have full relief from arm pump
do you get the surgery in sweden ?
Lastander
10/9/2017 12:09pm
do you get the surgery in sweden ?
Yes, i have an extra insurance of a 1000$ a year to get a time at a private clinic instead of waiting three months at the regular hospital
Gixxxerboy
10/9/2017 12:26pm
Gixxxerboy wrote:
pickle juice
Titan1 wrote:
I've heard of that for muscle cramps...but never for arm pump? Does it work? (It does for cramps...)
absolutely works!!!! something to do with the sodium balancing out the lactic acid which gives you the cramping, pump effect
BobPA
10/9/2017 12:28pm
1 Coors Original per 20 minutes ride time. Proper use of a vasodilator is key.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/9/2017 1:27pm
Run your levers higher and go with thicker grips. Those two things eliminated arm pump for me completely.

Post a reply to: Arm pump - Just a thought

The Latest