Arm pump

just James
Back when I was racing, many years ago, I would get super bad arm pump as soon as I hit the track for practice before a race. After I went back to the pits and relaxed for a while, it would go away, and I usually didn't get it any more for the rest of the day.
I don't ever remember getting it late in a moto.
Anyone else have a similar experience with it?

And no, I was never anywhere near a pro level rider.
|
mjr119
1/19/2017 1:16pm
Probably from not warming up before riding.
beamer
1/19/2017 1:23pm
When I was much younger I could basically hop on the bike and go, do a little hand flapping ect and never get arm pump.

Nowadays I'm much the same will get pump pretty quick but after resting some I'm usually pretty good. I always try and make a conscious effort not to hang on too tight, grip with the knees, ect.
aees
1/19/2017 1:31pm
same for me, armpump during practise, rarely in heat later in day.
was same for one of the top 250 riders 1-2 years ago, he also discovered that going all in during practise toget bad armpump, and it never comes back.

most likely the blod vessels or muscleskin needs to expand a certain level to stay stretched.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
1/19/2017 1:31pm
its cuz you're not warmed up. this is why you stretch after a workout and not before, because your muscles are cold and tight

The Shop

1/19/2017 2:14pm
I found for me the best way to stop arm pump on race day was to hit the practice session hard and get my arms pumped straight off, once they had gone down before the first race they were good for the rest of the day. Tried warm ups etc, easing in to practice, nothing worked as well...each to their own.
Never suffered from arm pump once growing up through the schoolboys, only got it trying to hold on to a 450
Starcrossed
1/19/2017 3:37pm
Anyone know how Jimmy D feels about the surgery he got on both of his forearms to cure his arm pump issues?
Turbojez
1/20/2017 1:35am
Anyone know how Jimmy D feels about the surgery he got on both of his forearms to cure his arm pump issues?
Jimmy Decotis back after surgery
He seemed to be happy right after coming back from the surgery: "(...) but he was pumped on the outcome saying it was fun to be able to ride at full speed without having his arms turn to rocks."
aees
1/20/2017 3:07am
sure warm up can help, but it does not make a huge difference. tried simulate it with grippers also before practise but still get it. then gone for rest of day even if i skip warm up for the heat races
1/20/2017 4:30am
I always get it on my first practice session, then it goes away, mind you I only ride once a week.

Starcrossed
1/20/2017 5:00am
Turbojez wrote:
[url=http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/Pit-Bits-Southwick,38885/Jimmy-DeCotis,93837/GuyB,64]Jimmy Decotis back after surgery[/url] He seemed to be happy right after coming back from the surgery: "(...) but he was pumped on the outcome saying...
He seemed to be happy right after coming back from the surgery: "(...) but he was pumped on the outcome saying it was fun to be able to ride at full speed without having his arms turn to rocks."
Thanks. Glad it worked out well for him. Has anybody else had forearm surgery to reduce arm pump? Seemed like a radical choice at the time.
Cortami79
1/20/2017 6:37am
Turbojez wrote:
[url=http://www.vitalmx.com/photos/features/Pit-Bits-Southwick,38885/Jimmy-DeCotis,93837/GuyB,64]Jimmy Decotis back after surgery[/url] He seemed to be happy right after coming back from the surgery: "(...) but he was pumped on the outcome saying...
Thanks. Glad it worked out well for him. Has anybody else had forearm surgery to reduce arm pump? Seemed like a radical choice at the time.
I did it summer 2015. Best choice ever. Had armpump for 2 years and almost stopped riding because of that. I went to the same doctor as Bervoets, Nick Triest and some other pro's in Antwerp, Belgium.
656mx
1/20/2017 6:44am
Does anyone feel pain when they get arm pump? I used to try to pump up in practice then it would get better as the day went on, but it didn't hurt. I don't know if it's just because I'm getting older or what. Now I get arm pump and it hurts. Hurts for days too. I do more stretching than I ever have but nothing helps.
IceMan446
1/20/2017 8:11am
Turbojez wrote:
I had it done on my right arm and its been the best choice for me. Just like Cortami79 said, I was was thinking about not riding anymore just because of how bad it was. It was so bad I couldnt use a squirt bottle for more than a minute or two without my forearm exploding.

I ended up having compartment syndrome in my right arm and some nerve damage but after the surgery I am pretty close to 100%. I will still get it slightly if I am not conscious of my grip and breathing right but absolutely nothing like before.

I do try to ride some laps to warm up a little bit and stretch before I go out and for my second session and that has seemed to help also.

Post a reply to: Arm pump

The Latest