Arm Pump Killing Me...

CC268
Fantasy
3552nd
Edited Date/Time 1/18/2014 2:26pm
Alright so I know there are a million different threads about arm pump, but I thought I would get your guys' opinions. I used to ride about two or three times a week when I was racing Intermediate locally (even then arm pump was always a bit of a problem for me, but not nearly what it is now). Now I am a Junior in college (two hours away and no tracks) and only get to ride the tracks once or twice a month (sometimes I ride some rut tracks I have in the woods as well when there isn't snow). The point being I don't get to ride nearly the amount I used to. It is frustrating because I do half a lap and I can barely hang on.

I am not in the shape I used to be when I raced years ago (still a skinny guy, just never work out), so I am thinking maybe I need to just start hitting the gym 3 or 4 times a week to get back into riding shape??

Of course I grip the bike with my knees as much as possible, even tried Advil to thin my blood, hydrate myself, stretching, anything you can think of, but I am thinking maybe this just comes down to being in shape?
|
JW381
1/18/2014 11:43am
I'm in college and I ride once a month or so. For me, I didn't "cure" arm pump I just ride for an entirely different set of reasons now. I purely ride for fun, low key, no worries, just do whatever is most appealing while at the track or riding area. Surprisingly that has taken a chunk out of my arm pump problems. First couple laps are rough but then after that I'm just having fun Smile That carefree attitude really relaxes your hands and body and that's the key for sure.

That's my advice, I know it sounds simple but I swear I'm having more fun than ever when I do ride and arm pump is almost less of an issue than when I was riding weekly.
Old-Man
1/18/2014 11:48am
You need to ride to get your forearms into moto shape but Since you cant get on the bike every day grab something like this

Everybody gets arm pump, mine was massive during the first practice but once it goes down I was good for the rest of the event
or practice session

Work those Forearms every chance you get
JW381
1/18/2014 11:50am
Old-Man wrote:
You need to ride to get your forearms into moto shape but Since you cant get on the bike every day grab something like this [img]https://bodykore.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/DSC07334.JPG[/img]...
You need to ride to get your forearms into moto shape but Since you cant get on the bike every day grab something like this

Everybody gets arm pump, mine was massive during the first practice but once it goes down I was good for the rest of the event
or practice session

Work those Forearms every chance you get
That shit is sooooo hard. Love it.
Titan1
1/18/2014 11:55am
The absolute biggest help for me with arm pump was long deep breaths...in through my mouth out through my nose...the entire time I'm riding. It has really helped me to stay relaxed when I ride (and that is also important for the arm pump thing).

When someone told me to try this, I laughed and said I always breath...then I started paying attention to it...and I was surprised how often I either held my breath completely or would breath it short quick breaths.

It took some concentration and time to train myself to take the deep breaths (and I'm still not perfect at it) especially in a technical section, or whoops, or when battling...but it has helped me a ton.

Worth a shot...right?

The Shop

CRF505
1/18/2014 11:59am
CC268 wrote:
Alright so I know there are a million different threads about arm pump, but I thought I would get your guys' opinions. I used to ride...
Alright so I know there are a million different threads about arm pump, but I thought I would get your guys' opinions. I used to ride about two or three times a week when I was racing Intermediate locally (even then arm pump was always a bit of a problem for me, but not nearly what it is now). Now I am a Junior in college (two hours away and no tracks) and only get to ride the tracks once or twice a month (sometimes I ride some rut tracks I have in the woods as well when there isn't snow). The point being I don't get to ride nearly the amount I used to. It is frustrating because I do half a lap and I can barely hang on.

I am not in the shape I used to be when I raced years ago (still a skinny guy, just never work out), so I am thinking maybe I need to just start hitting the gym 3 or 4 times a week to get back into riding shape??

Of course I grip the bike with my knees as much as possible, even tried Advil to thin my blood, hydrate myself, stretching, anything you can think of, but I am thinking maybe this just comes down to being in shape?
Welcome to your 20's.... unfortunately it's probably something you'll continue to deal with now that your life is getting busier and your responsibilities are increasing. Ask any vet guy at your local track. As JW381 said though, just try to not stress out about it and that in itself will help some. Being in better cardiovascular shape will help as well. However, the truth is there's no substitution for seat time and you'll likely always have to deal with it until/unless you can ride 2-3 days a week again.
bd
1/18/2014 12:01pm
Titan1 wrote:
The absolute biggest help for me with arm pump was long deep breaths...in through my mouth out through my nose...the entire time I'm riding. It has...
The absolute biggest help for me with arm pump was long deep breaths...in through my mouth out through my nose...the entire time I'm riding. It has really helped me to stay relaxed when I ride (and that is also important for the arm pump thing).

When someone told me to try this, I laughed and said I always breath...then I started paying attention to it...and I was surprised how often I either held my breath completely or would breath it short quick breaths.

It took some concentration and time to train myself to take the deep breaths (and I'm still not perfect at it) especially in a technical section, or whoops, or when battling...but it has helped me a ton.

Worth a shot...right?
Damm..... excellent advice. Breathing brings your attention to present-moment. Hence, you not concerned with your last mistake, the faster rider behind you or the whoops two turns ahead (by the way, I highly recommend this in all aspects of life).

Additionally, are you riding on your toes and holding onto your bike with your ankles and legs?
Katoomey
1/18/2014 12:13pm
hold on with your legs (knees and calves), lighten up your grip on the bars, and relax. If you didn't learn to ride like this originally, it will take some practice to get the feel down. You might find you want a kidney belt as well.

if you can't do that, you will always suffer from arm pump, no matter how many other things you do or how much you do them.

really sharp pegs and grip tape help this. you can buy clear grip tape from any local skate shop. put it wherever your boots touch the bike. It will tear up your pants really quick if you put it anywhere else.

from my experience, working out your forearms will really only harm you. arm pump is nothing more than blood flow restriction. the more muscle you have means the more blood you are going to need to "pump" to them. ...and the more tone (tight) your muscles are, the more restricted your vessels are. both of those things will inhibit efficient blood flow into and out of the muscles.
markit
1/18/2014 12:14pm
Relax. most arm pump comes from riding tight. I drink a jar of pickle juce before a race and very seldom have ap.
BigAl
1/18/2014 12:30pm
markit wrote:
Relax. most arm pump comes from riding tight. I drink a jar of pickle juce before a race and very seldom have ap.
I've heard that works for leg cramps, etc.

Back in the day my buddy used the spring type hand exercises, kept them in his truck and used them while driving
bvm111
1/18/2014 12:44pm
X2 on the breathing,

I take 2 deep full inhale exhale Quick breaths right as I enter each corner, It sounds silly but I do it like a power lifter getting ready to lift stupid weight. That forces you to push all the CO2 from the lungs and bring in fresh O2 to feed the lungs and muscles!

It sounds silly but it helped me tremendously, and I used to have really really painful excruciating arm pump. It isn't a magic cure but it has helped.

also my first moto I cruise at about 60-70% to warm up and then stretch before my second practice moto.... Give it a shot, what's the worst that could happen?!
CC268
Fantasy
3552nd
1/18/2014 12:51pm
Thanks for all the help guys. I suppose I will start to work out at least a little bit, even if it doesn't help my arm pump it will be good for me.
CC268
Fantasy
3552nd
1/18/2014 12:56pm
CRF505 wrote:
Welcome to your 20's.... unfortunately it's probably something you'll continue to deal with now that your life is getting busier and your responsibilities are increasing. Ask...
Welcome to your 20's.... unfortunately it's probably something you'll continue to deal with now that your life is getting busier and your responsibilities are increasing. Ask any vet guy at your local track. As JW381 said though, just try to not stress out about it and that in itself will help some. Being in better cardiovascular shape will help as well. However, the truth is there's no substitution for seat time and you'll likely always have to deal with it until/unless you can ride 2-3 days a week again.
I think you hit the nail on the head unfortunately. Just tough for me because I know the pace and speed I can ride at and my arm pump really slows me down. The good thing is, when I ride a decent amount in summer I can put a decent 3 to 4 laps in at my normal Intermediate pace. It seems like the best "cure" for arm pump is ride, ride, ride, ride and unfortunately it just isn't something I can do as often during certain times of the year.
40Plus_922mx
1/18/2014 12:57pm
Here arre a few things that solved my arm pump completely.

1). Going from a 2stroke to a 4stroke. Sounds wierd I know. But it helped. And after 10yrs of a 450 and nearly zero arm pump, I rode a 250 2stroke over summer and guess what happened? Yup a few laps in it came back.

2). Definetly use your knees and legs to hang on and also use your feet to help throw the bike around by weighting and unweighting the pegs side to side. Specially in corners.

3). I often used to sing a familiar chorus from a song if I felt pump coming on. , "hold on loosely but don't let go, if you cling too tightly you're gonna loose control"..

4). BREATHE BREATHE BREATH

5). As soon as you leave the take off let go of your grip on the bars. Get use to just flowing with the bike through the air and rest your muscles over the jumps.

6). Resist exercises that build more muscle in your forearms or repeatedly make them pump up over and over and over. Like curls etc. you want to train your arms to remain relaxed.

7). Ride ride ride.

Hope this helps.
motomike137
1/18/2014 1:11pm
Katoomey wrote:
hold on with your legs (knees and calves), lighten up your grip on the bars, and relax. If you didn't learn to ride like this originally...
hold on with your legs (knees and calves), lighten up your grip on the bars, and relax. If you didn't learn to ride like this originally, it will take some practice to get the feel down. You might find you want a kidney belt as well.

if you can't do that, you will always suffer from arm pump, no matter how many other things you do or how much you do them.

really sharp pegs and grip tape help this. you can buy clear grip tape from any local skate shop. put it wherever your boots touch the bike. It will tear up your pants really quick if you put it anywhere else.

from my experience, working out your forearms will really only harm you. arm pump is nothing more than blood flow restriction. the more muscle you have means the more blood you are going to need to "pump" to them. ...and the more tone (tight) your muscles are, the more restricted your vessels are. both of those things will inhibit efficient blood flow into and out of the muscles.
Katoomey hit the nail on the head imho. It is all about hanging on with your legs and only gripping tight with your hands when needed. Other things that help are finding the right glove and grip combo, bar bend and location. Obviously it also helpr to be in a little bit of shape tooCool
1/18/2014 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2014 1:19pm
Shake Weight....Get one of these. When I was in college this kept my arm pump in check when I did ride once a month or so.....

Seriously though, like stated above, a lot of poeple don't breathe when they ride.....adequately anyway. Crumble up scrap paper from the schoo library into palm sized sphere's. (Didn't think I should say Balls.....this post already started gay enough.)
Crush
1/18/2014 1:52pm
Ive been using this.... Works!

Dropbear
1/18/2014 1:58pm
I'm an old guy that rides occasionally these days. What works for me is to ride hard for about 5 laps when I get to the track, feel the pump then rest for an hour or so - no less. Then I get no trouble for the rest of the day.
JW381
1/18/2014 1:59pm
Dropbear wrote:
I'm an old guy that rides occasionally these days. What works for me is to ride hard for about 5 laps when I get to the...
I'm an old guy that rides occasionally these days. What works for me is to ride hard for about 5 laps when I get to the track, feel the pump then rest for an hour or so - no less. Then I get no trouble for the rest of the day.
For sure, I learned that early on, when arm pump was REALLY bad for me. Go out, get it, pull off almost immediately and let your arms rest then go from there. Usually always helps.
JB 19
1/18/2014 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2014 2:43pm
I never bought into the whole no weights thing. You think the pro riders don't do weight training? Of course you need strength, but you need strength stamina.

You can even do something as simple as hold a 15 or 25 lb weight in each hand, but pinch it with your fingers to hold it. Make sure that you don't "hook" you fingers anywhere to hold it. You want to make it difficult. Do this as long as you can.....like way past the point of pain and discomfort. Then do it longer next time. It should feel like your arms are in a camp fire. You are building muscle fitness.......not training for the Arnold Classic.

Of course riding long motos is the best.
Muezh
1/18/2014 2:26pm
I've found alot of helpful info on racerxvt.com

and you are right. it comes down to being in shape.

I pay attention to how to the top pro's train and I've never heard of them doing anything for arm pump. I do think they they do so much cardio (running, cycling, rowing) and have such a tremendous VO2 max that their blood flushes the lactic acid fast.

Post a reply to: Arm Pump Killing Me...

The Latest