Are some chest and back injuries preventable?

The Rock
1/22/2015 10:11am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2015 6:40pm
Brayton is the latest victim but for sure is not the first and unfortunately not the last to get hurt at a SX.

I can't tell for sure if Justin Brayton was wearing something under his jersey or not. I can see maybe the outline of a chest protector but have no idea about back protection at the time of his crash. How long before it will become uncool to get hurt while only wearing a thin jersey?

MXA website photo credit
|
Darryl916
1/22/2015 10:15am
Looking good is what matters

MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
1/22/2015 10:16am
Most of them wear the flimsy foam pad ones. Im contemplating wearing a real one next year
OnRails
1/22/2015 10:20am
Brayton broke his collarbone bro not his chest.
hvaughn88
1/22/2015 10:22am
OnRails wrote:
brayton fractured a few vertebrae, too. hence the back injury in the threat title

The Shop

BD233
1/22/2015 10:55am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2015 4:46am
I don't know how much protection that would give the riders as far as back injuries. Maybe the new one with the airbag built in..but just the old fashion chest protectors, IMHO, wouldn't help with the kind of injury Brayton has....
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4000th
1/22/2015 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 12:55pm
The only wsy to prevent serious injury on a motocross bike is to stay off a motocross bike, because all the protective gear in the world won't help you from the wrong fall.
IWreckALot
1/22/2015 1:30pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Most of them wear the flimsy foam pad ones. Im contemplating wearing a real one next year
I wear an EVS under jersey protector. The biggest pro to it is that it doesn't move around much. The jersey helps hold it in place. The con is that it doesn't have any shoulder protection. I've had a couple of tumbles where I've hit shoulders and wish I could have more protection there.

I bought a FOX protector and it sat really awkwardly on me. Almost like it was defected. Should have sent it back but never did. I might try to alter it since I plan on never using it again anyhow at this point.

I had one wreck where I came up about 10' short on a 100' double. Landed straight into the face of the jump. I was all kinds of sore because when I landed, my chest hit the handle bars. I have no doubt that my chest protector saved some ribs and maybe a lung in that one.

It's all subjective. You wear the gear that you feel will protect you in most wrecks.
1/22/2015 1:33pm
Not this thread again.....

Listen, no piece of flimsy plastic on your chest is going to stop arm/neck/back bones from breaking. And if you dont understand that, then I cant help you. Thats why theyre called "roost protectors".

Even the most padded, uncomfortable, plastic contraption wont save you from much more than cuts and scrapes. Also, I dont know if you noticed, but these guys move around a heck of a lot more than you would think on a bike, and might not be able to ride with a full body suit of plastic armor on. A bit different of a playing field than the vet 45+ beginner class at your local track
IWreckALot
1/22/2015 1:37pm

Says the guy with three posts. . . Who were you before this one?
1/22/2015 1:42pm
Every injury is preventable, just don't crash! But then again we participate in one of the most dangerous sports and crap happens unfortunately
DP71
1/22/2015 1:50pm
yeah they just make it worse.
BobbyM
1/22/2015 1:52pm
The Rock wrote:
Brayton is the latest victim but for sure is not the first and unfortunately not the last to get hurt at a SX. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/22/77725/s1200_JUSTINBrayton44428.jpg[/img] I can't...
Brayton is the latest victim but for sure is not the first and unfortunately not the last to get hurt at a SX.

I can't tell for sure if Justin Brayton was wearing something under his jersey or not. I can see maybe the outline of a chest protector but have no idea about back protection at the time of his crash. How long before it will become uncool to get hurt while only wearing a thin jersey?

MXA website photo credit
Not riding dirt bikes can and will prevent a cornucopia of injuries to the human body.

Next question...
HenryA
1/22/2015 2:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 2:12pm
OnRails wrote:
Impossible! He didn't use a neck brace. Everyone knows that you can't break your collarbone W/O wearing a brace.
1/22/2015 3:29pm
IWreckALot wrote:

Says the guy with three posts. . . Who were you before this one?
In my past life I was knows as motor bike rider... hard to make the connection, I know

I dont really know what I was banned for though. Maybe GuyB doesnt like opinions that arent the same as his own?
1/22/2015 3:43pm
UpTiTe wrote:
The only wsy to prevent serious injury on a motocross bike is to stay off a motocross bike, because all the protective gear in the world...
The only wsy to prevent serious injury on a motocross bike is to stay off a motocross bike, because all the protective gear in the world won't help you from the wrong fall.
No doubt, but it certainly doesn't hurt to "dress for the cash". I broke both sternum and back (impact injuries) in different crashes while wearing full upper body protection. Can't imagine how bad it would have been if I was just wearing a jersey and roost protection.
The Rock
1/22/2015 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 3:50pm
Not this thread again..... Listen, no piece of flimsy plastic on your chest is going to stop arm/neck/back bones from breaking. And if you dont understand...

Listen, no piece of flimsy plastic on your chest is going to stop arm/neck/back bones from breaking. And if you dont understand that, then I cant help you. Thats why theyre called "roost protectors".

Even the most padded, uncomfortable, plastic contraption wont save you from much more than cuts and scrapes. Also, I dont know if you noticed, but these guys move around a heck of a lot more than you would think on a bike, and might not be able to ride with a full body suit of plastic armor on. A bit different of a playing field than the vet 45+ beginner class at your local track
Did you miss the thread title? No one is suggesting a full body suit.

The key word in the above title is some. I realize I wasn't at Namur when this happened but in one case my Thor shell wasn't much help when I augered in on the first lap of the Vet Junior Class in the fall of 91 (collarbone, 3 ribs, partially collapsed lung) at Ascot at Friday night MX so I fully understand they don't prevent all injuries.

On the other hand close to ten years later with a new model Thor shell I got run over by Mr, Info (it was 100% my fault to be clear) in the second turn at GH at the start of the first moto. In this instance I finished the moto and holeshot the next moto. This second moto ride not have happened if I had been wearing only a jersey. I was completely worked the next day when I flew to Dallas and for most of that week but I made my business trip and didn't miss any work.

Don't these professional racers particularly the ones that are being paid have a responsibility to protect themselves as much as possible in order for them to be able to do their jobs? Closer to my heart is preventing the preventable injuries from happening at local tracks all around the US or at least minimizing the impact. There was a video on FB this week and right after the start there was this double and the entire class of six or so riders got taken out. Poor track designs like the FB video lead to unnecessary mistakes that wind up getting people hurt. For what?

I keep trying to accept the comfort deal as a reason but more of the greats of the 80s and 90s wore upper body protection for sure than our current crop of stars do so I can't buy the comfort thing as a reason not to wear it. My position was reinforced after spending time in the pits at both GH and Hangtown last year talking to 3 digit riders who the vast majority were wearing upper body protection. These privateers are the proof that you get used to knee braces, wrist braces, everything over time and that some put function before fashion.

This thread is NOT picking on Justin Brayton who I have been a fan on since he won the last moto of the year on a KTM back before KTMs were the KTMs they are today. I think he might actually have a roost protector on and am just curious if he had any spinal protection. Those rubber pads that line many shells over the spinal area do a good job at absorbing the energy but the best for absorbing energy is air like the RXR models.
1/22/2015 4:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 4:15pm
The Rock wrote:
Did you miss the thread title? No one is suggesting a full body suit. The key word in the above title is[b] some[/b]. I realize I...
Did you miss the thread title? No one is suggesting a full body suit.

The key word in the above title is some. I realize I wasn't at Namur when this happened but in one case my Thor shell wasn't much help when I augered in on the first lap of the Vet Junior Class in the fall of 91 (collarbone, 3 ribs, partially collapsed lung) at Ascot at Friday night MX so I fully understand they don't prevent all injuries.

On the other hand close to ten years later with a new model Thor shell I got run over by Mr, Info (it was 100% my fault to be clear) in the second turn at GH at the start of the first moto. In this instance I finished the moto and holeshot the next moto. This second moto ride not have happened if I had been wearing only a jersey. I was completely worked the next day when I flew to Dallas and for most of that week but I made my business trip and didn't miss any work.

Don't these professional racers particularly the ones that are being paid have a responsibility to protect themselves as much as possible in order for them to be able to do their jobs? Closer to my heart is preventing the preventable injuries from happening at local tracks all around the US or at least minimizing the impact. There was a video on FB this week and right after the start there was this double and the entire class of six or so riders got taken out. Poor track designs like the FB video lead to unnecessary mistakes that wind up getting people hurt. For what?

I keep trying to accept the comfort deal as a reason but more of the greats of the 80s and 90s wore upper body protection for sure than our current crop of stars do so I can't buy the comfort thing as a reason not to wear it. My position was reinforced after spending time in the pits at both GH and Hangtown last year talking to 3 digit riders who the vast majority were wearing upper body protection. These privateers are the proof that you get used to knee braces, wrist braces, everything over time and that some put function before fashion.

This thread is NOT picking on Justin Brayton who I have been a fan on since he won the last moto of the year on a KTM back before KTMs were the KTMs they are today. I think he might actually have a roost protector on and am just curious if he had any spinal protection. Those rubber pads that line many shells over the spinal area do a good job at absorbing the energy but the best for absorbing energy is air like the RXR models.
There's no way to say you wouldn't have been able to race that 2nd moto if you didn't have your protector on. Unless you could crash in the exact same way but without the protector on.

Also the privateers you talked to were most likely wearing it for roost protection

Theres just no way to say wearing a chest pro will prevent injuries, most of the "proof" is just someone saying "if i wasnt wearing it (dot dot dot)."

I think its funny how yall will preach like a flimsy piece of plastic on your chest will stop every injury from happening. Sure, its gonna stop cuts/scrapes/occasional broken ribs, but they cant stop "real" injuries from happening (broken arms, back, etc). Its just not physically possible (hence why pros dont wear them). It might disburse the energy some, but if a crash is hard enough to break bones, its surely gonna break some plastic.

And if youre gonna say they should wear them because some past gen motocrossers wore them, then maybe they should also wear open face helmets and pure leather boots.
Hgibbs566
1/22/2015 5:07pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 5:07pm
People hurt themselves in the 80's and 90's as well. They actually had a VHS tape called Thrills, Spills, and Chills back then so it's not a 4 stroke thing either.

The only way to prevent these injuries is to not ride.
The Rock
1/22/2015 5:09pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 5:11pm
Another winner for the I will just ignore what the thread is actually about award.

How you can tell me how there is no way I can say what I did about racing the second moto but then go on to say why the privateers were probably wearing upper body protection for without being present for any of the discussions?

Man I am impressed with yall.
1/22/2015 5:12pm
The Rock wrote:
Another winner for the I will just ignore what the thread is actually about award. How you can tell me how there is no way I...
Another winner for the I will just ignore what the thread is actually about award.

How you can tell me how there is no way I can say what I did about racing the second moto but then go on to say why the privateers were probably wearing upper body protection for without being present for any of the discussions?

Man I am impressed with yall.
I am impressed with your butchering of the English language; I had to read that sentence about 6 times.
The Rock
1/22/2015 10:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/22/2015 10:49pm
Not this thread again..... Listen, no piece of flimsy plastic on your chest is going to stop arm/neck/back bones from breaking. And if you dont understand...

no piece of flimsy plastic on your chest is going to stop arm/neck/back bones from breaking

You are exactly right and is why I wouldn't wear a piece of flimsy plastic. I would wear

or

but by all means please keep wearing just a jersey. I am positive your jersey will afford the same protection as either the RXR or the Leatt after all, right? Especially after laying on your stomach and having over 400 pounds impact your back I'm sure your jersey will really soak up that energy.

The point isn't this type of equipment will prevent you from getting hurt in all cases but it will reduce the severity of the injury should one be sustained and in some cases yes it can prevent one. Footpeg to the chest or back wearing protection will definitely prevent a gash type injury.

Fat Fingers
1/23/2015 1:09am
Why don't we get a few volunteers to take a punch to the ribs. Some can wear a chest protector and others can't. Let's see how many broken ribs the flimsy bit of plastic saves. Round 2 can be a handle bar...
The Rock
1/23/2015 1:22am
Why don't we get a few volunteers to take a punch to the ribs. Some can wear a chest protector and others can't. Let's see how...
Why don't we get a few volunteers to take a punch to the ribs. Some can wear a chest protector and others can't. Let's see how many broken ribs the flimsy bit of plastic saves. Round 2 can be a handle bar...
Back in 2008 I was with Shenzi Rubani and the President of RXR at Chaparral. I knew the two GMs after having been the Amateur Race Team Manager the last six months of 1999 so greased the skids so RXR could get their foot in the door. I had a pair of Renthal handlebars with the Nuetech APE kits installed that I was presenting. During the meeting Shenzi took the bars and whacked the President across the chest then across the back. The RXR air system absorbed all that energy no problemo and Chaparral started selling RXRs.

As Chevy Chase said in Deal of the Century.....never underestimate the power of a demo.
Crush
1/23/2015 1:59am
Old timers....

When, or were the current mandatory safety gears made... Well mandatory...

Boots? Always? Gloves? Always? Goggles?

IWreckALot
1/23/2015 6:10am
There's no way to say you wouldn't have been able to race that 2nd moto if you didn't have your protector on. Unless you could crash...
There's no way to say you wouldn't have been able to race that 2nd moto if you didn't have your protector on. Unless you could crash in the exact same way but without the protector on.

Also the privateers you talked to were most likely wearing it for roost protection

Theres just no way to say wearing a chest pro will prevent injuries, most of the "proof" is just someone saying "if i wasnt wearing it (dot dot dot)."

I think its funny how yall will preach like a flimsy piece of plastic on your chest will stop every injury from happening. Sure, its gonna stop cuts/scrapes/occasional broken ribs, but they cant stop "real" injuries from happening (broken arms, back, etc). Its just not physically possible (hence why pros dont wear them). It might disburse the energy some, but if a crash is hard enough to break bones, its surely gonna break some plastic.

And if youre gonna say they should wear them because some past gen motocrossers wore them, then maybe they should also wear open face helmets and pure leather boots.
By your logic, a helmet and boots might be too much equipment.

Your point is somewhat valid in that even with protective gear, you're not going to prevent some injuries. But you talk like chest protectors are simply to block roost. . . rather than prevent some of the preventable injuries. Which is wrong.
Camp332
1/23/2015 6:23am
Bench press for massive pecs bro
DoctorJD
1/23/2015 6:24am
Crush wrote:
Old timers....

When, or were the current mandatory safety gears made... Well mandatory...

Boots? Always? Gloves? Always? Goggles?

Not sure. I don't ever remember it being mandated, and I've been racing since 77'. I remember at one track in 1980, the guy shows up on an old KX125 (this was before vintage was cool) wearing nothing more than lineman boots, jeans, and a t-shirt. The worst part of the whole deal was that he was only wearing goggles with an open-face helmet. For the times, that was not uncommon. I was on the line waiting to start, and I watched the guy eat crap in the whoops. His face slammed into the crossbar (no pad) knocking all of his front teeth out. I'll never forget the EMT's carrying him off the track, and that bloody t-shirt. I ordered a Bell Moto-III the next day.

I guess what I'm saying is, common sense has mandated the safety gear I wear. I can give you plenty of examples of why I wear what I wear, but suffice it to say that its not for style's sake. As someone pointed out earlier, I have always subscribed to the adage, "dress for the crash, not the ride".

SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
1/23/2015 7:48am
The Rock wrote:
[b]no piece of flimsy plastic on your chest is going to stop arm/neck/back bones from breaking[/b] You are exactly right and is why I wouldn't wear...
no piece of flimsy plastic on your chest is going to stop arm/neck/back bones from breaking

You are exactly right and is why I wouldn't wear a piece of flimsy plastic. I would wear

or

but by all means please keep wearing just a jersey. I am positive your jersey will afford the same protection as either the RXR or the Leatt after all, right? Especially after laying on your stomach and having over 400 pounds impact your back I'm sure your jersey will really soak up that energy.

The point isn't this type of equipment will prevent you from getting hurt in all cases but it will reduce the severity of the injury should one be sustained and in some cases yes it can prevent one. Footpeg to the chest or back wearing protection will definitely prevent a gash type injury.

If someone is too stupid to understand that wearing a chest protector can help prevent injuries, they're simply too stupid to waste time arguing with.

The "flimsy piece of plastic" argument is just as idiotic is saying that there's no way a bag filled with air could help protect you in a car crash.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
1/23/2015 7:55am
And if you want to have a discussion on protection equipment that has questionable effectiveness, let's talk knee braces.

Post a reply to: Are some chest and back injuries preventable?

The Latest