Are neck braces outta here?

level
Edited Date/Time 3/13/2015 8:11pm
Was it just a trend? Don't see them at all anymore on the pros come to think of it.
|
SF45
3/12/2015 9:04am
RV wears one
3/12/2015 9:08am
Until the NFL starts using them I gotta think they believe there is no use. But then again these guys train for the hit because they hit their head every 30 seconds.

Our guys play alot of video games for training.

That said....Im all for the sport adopting a minimum gear amount. For all. No equipment you dont line up on the gate.

Like NFL. Our guys gear isnt protective gear like the NFL.
Its a billboard for kids that make 30 grand.

Ever notice the guys making 30 million dont advertise a damn thing?
holverson34
3/12/2015 9:09am
they definitely aren't being used as much as they were 5 years ago. I used to wear one but then quit because with my short neck I had a hard time holding my head where I wanted to without my helmet catching on the brace. However a local moto related death mentioned on here a few days ago has got me looking at purchasing a new one..
RandyS
3/12/2015 9:10am
There were a lot of people on here who called bullshit from the beginning, I've worn a doughnut since the mid 90s so I believe in something to slow the snap but I have never believed in stopping it completely. Are there times when a solid neck brace has saved someone? I absolutely believe there have been times. Have there times when they have caused damage, even death? I absolutely believe that too. I think once the hype died down and people started to really look at what you were putting on, or on your children that slowly more and more people decided no.

As for pros, once the top guys stopped the privateers were at a disadvantage wearing them plus they're expensive.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/12/2015 9:18am
level wrote:
Was it just a trend? Don't see them at all anymore on the pros come to think of it.
At all?

Off the top of my head...Canard, Baggett, Anderson, Musquin, Barcia, and Wilson.
TMV
3/12/2015 9:19am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2015 9:22am
SF45 wrote:
RV wears one
Would he still be wearing it if he was paid half he's paid to wear it?

Weimer used to wear one when he was Villopoto's teammate in the Monster Kawasaki team which was sponsored by ATLAS, this year he's not anymore, guess what...

https://instagram.com/p/0CDFmGntli/
Grizz
3/12/2015 9:24am
SF45 wrote:
RV wears one
TMV wrote:
Would he still be wearing it if he was paid half he's paid to wear it? Weimer used to wear one when he was Villopoto's teammate...

Weimer used to wear one when he was Villopoto's teammate in the Monster Kawasaki team which was sponsored by ATLAS, this year he's not anymore, guess what...

Honestly, yea RV probably would.
TMV
3/12/2015 9:27am
SF45 wrote:
RV wears one
TMV wrote:
Would he still be wearing it if he was paid half he's paid to wear it? Weimer used to wear one when he was Villopoto's teammate...

Grizz wrote:
And if he wasn't at all?
Zaugg
3/12/2015 9:27am
I believe RV has a stake in Atlas so he has both a health and financial benefit to wearing the brace. Gotta believe if RV or any of the other guys wearing a brace thought they negatively affected their performance, they'd stop wearing them.

I know its hard to believe but some of these guys wear the stuff they wear because...yes...they want to, not because their getting paid. (But why not get paid to do something you're already going to do?)

Some guys like them, some guys don't. Kinda like spending $100 on a helmet or spending more and getting a good helmet. (prices may vary.)Laughing
3/12/2015 9:31am
It seemed like Barcia's neck brace could have prevented something bad. I guess we will never know fur sure though. I won't ride without one. I would take a broke collar bone any day over paralysis.

https://youtu.be/tSi736UmGPo
TMV
3/12/2015 9:37am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2015 9:38am
Zaugg, I'm sure some guys (pros , good amateurs) want to wear one and maybe even buy one themselves but a lot stop wearing them as soon as they're not paid anymore to.

Some believe in it, some don't, I wear one cause I'm totally shit on a dirt bike and I believe the worst you're, the less you should have the choice, lol!

These guys are so good they deserved the right to choose to wear one or not, wear good knee braces or not like Everts did for his entire carreer (he never had braces, only plastic protections. He thought it would cause more harm than anything and just displace the problem).
EastFlorida
3/12/2015 9:38am
I won't ride without one! I'm no pro, so my skills are much less and I'm apt to auger in.

They can go without, but I won't... I have bills to pay, family to feed and college tuition for my sons...
3/12/2015 9:47am
We need to adopt a standard for all.
Pros dont wear them because its xx lbs or hinders movement.

If all have to wear, its all equal.
NFL running backs dont get to wear no pads because it slows them down.

But then again this is the poorest paying sport with the athletes advertising multiple billboards.

Other sports athletes dont advertise a damn thing hardly or at all.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/12/2015 9:48am

TMV
3/12/2015 9:50am
GuyB wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/03/12/83539/s1200_031215anderson.jpg[/img]

One of yours Steve? That pic is awesome!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
3/12/2015 9:53am
TMV wrote:
One of yours Steve? That pic is awesome!
Yep...from rider intros at Daytona last weekend.
moscrop940
3/12/2015 9:54am
SF45 wrote:
RV wears one
TMV wrote:

You are aware that Villo has a stake in the company correct?
TMV
3/12/2015 9:57am
SF45 wrote:
RV wears one
TMV wrote:

moscrop940 wrote:
You are aware that Villo has a stake in the company correct?
Nope, I wasn't.

Can he tell the guys from the company Wilson is Scottish and not American, lol?

http://www.atlasbrace.com/athletes/

logan_140
3/12/2015 10:03am
I think Im gonna purchase the new atlas air when it comes out. Don't wear my leatt any more
3/12/2015 10:03am
What i noticed with RV last weekend was how quickly and easily he removed it

no straps, very light and small

i recently tried on a full older leatt system, felt like i was putting on a diving bell

they seemed to have stepped it up
MotoX85
3/12/2015 10:06am
My son wears one, I do not. He has no complaints and I just cant get used to it.
Motoxdoc
3/12/2015 10:08am Edited Date/Time 3/12/2015 10:09am
Until the NFL starts using them I gotta think they believe there is no use. But then again these guys train for the hit because they...
Until the NFL starts using them I gotta think they believe there is no use. But then again these guys train for the hit because they hit their head every 30 seconds.

Our guys play alot of video games for training.

That said....Im all for the sport adopting a minimum gear amount. For all. No equipment you dont line up on the gate.

Like NFL. Our guys gear isnt protective gear like the NFL.
Its a billboard for kids that make 30 grand.

Ever notice the guys making 30 million dont advertise a damn thing?
Football players, including NFL players, do wear them. Not many, but if you pay attention you will see them. Not MX style, but some of them have winged-looking things behind their helmets which limits cervical extension....usually the fat linemen.....I haven't seen them in the front for flexion.

I wouldn't wait for the NFL to adopt protective gear to do so myself (RV2 is good enough for me). It's no secret those guys don't belong to mensa and when their careers are over they are, for the most part, toast.

Who are these kids that make "30 grand" you speak of? Do you mean the youngsters racing LL's or any other amateur events?

Who are these "guys" making 30 million you speak of? Do you mean the NFL guys that AREN'T ALLOWED TO ADVERTISE?
level
3/12/2015 10:14am
No doubt the popularity has waned on them. I noticed many guys try to ride as naked as possible. It allows more free movement, less weight, etc. I don't really ride much anymore but if I do I like to put one on as well sometimes. Makes me feel better.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/12/2015 10:17am
TMV wrote:

Grizz wrote:
TMV wrote:
And if he wasn't at all?
Weimer quit wearing one because of an ongoing shoulder injury he picked up in Supercross season last year. We talked about it for a bit and he was really bummed he had to quit wearing it. He said it's a really weird nerve deal, when he lifts his shoulders (sorta in rowing motion to pull the bike towards him) the brace touches his one shoulder in just the right place that it causes it to go numb.
MotoX85
3/12/2015 10:18am
I'm not mentioning names but there are "some" notable trainers that are telling their riders to take them off. Take that info however you want.
Titan1
3/12/2015 10:18am
It seemed like Barcia's neck brace could have prevented something bad. I guess we will never know fur sure though. I won't ride without one. I...
It seemed like Barcia's neck brace could have prevented something bad. I guess we will never know fur sure though. I won't ride without one. I would take a broke collar bone any day over paralysis.

https://youtu.be/tSi736UmGPo
Motocross...dude straight cases Barcia's head and doesn't even stop.

(Sorry for the tangent).
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/12/2015 10:20am
Titan1 wrote:

(Sorry for the tangent).
Professional racing with money on the line. They all know the risks when they get into it, and I'm not sure what Tomac stopping would do to alleviate the situation.
SweetDaddy
3/12/2015 10:24am
Less protection is never a good idea. My incentive is I have a vision of my FMF Megabomb somehow ending up on my neck after a get-off.
MotoMo165
3/12/2015 10:32am
MotoX85 wrote:
I'm not mentioning names but there are "some" notable trainers that are telling their riders to take them off. Take that info however you want.
Ryno? Common spill the beans Mr. Anti neck brace
Titan1
3/12/2015 10:38am
Titan1 wrote:

(Sorry for the tangent).
ML512 wrote:
Professional racing with money on the line. They all know the risks when they get into it, and I'm not sure what Tomac stopping would do...
Professional racing with money on the line. They all know the risks when they get into it, and I'm not sure what Tomac stopping would do to alleviate the situation.
That's not a dig on Tomac...it's just that my perspective is skewed...I'm an off road guy...everyone stops. Kurt Caselli gave up his race (NHHA) to help a rider with a broken leg...I saw David Pearson with a down rider less than 5 miles into a race a week and a half ago....So its not just us local yokel weekend warriors that stop.

I DNF'd about 5-10 miles into a hare and hound a week and a half ago (broken chain guide)...I'm standing beside my bike (obviously not hurt), and, still, every rider that came by asked if I was okay (I was running around the 20-30 overall...of 300 riders...so 270-280 riders came by me), I felt bad they were all stopping so I just stood there giving them all the thumbs up so they wouldn't have to stop. (Even Dave Pearson who had just spent a ton of time with a down rider a few miles earlier, stopped to ask if I needed anything). Its just ingrained in us off road guys...we stop for down/stopped riders.

Like I said, its a perspective thing, there are no medics on sight, like in motocross...we're miles and miles away from any medical attention...other riders are all we have out there....so again, nothing against Tomac, or motocross...its just that not stopping for a down rider is so foreign to me that I had to comment..)

Post a reply to: Are neck braces outta here?

The Latest