Are mx race speeds too fast?

DirtRoadmx47
Fantasy
1640th
Edited Date/Time 8/8/2012 9:21pm
Its an old topic, but does it appear to anyone else that the mx nationals speeds are too fast? What happened to the rough and choppy tracks that bred grueling battles? Nascar has a speed restriction maybe there should be a top speed restriction for mx for the safety of the riders? Those 1/4 inch hip pads dont cut it anymore............
|
Fantasy
4478th
8/6/2012 7:50am
no
8/6/2012 8:04am
motocross racers understand that this is a dangerous sport they know the consequences when they wreck. also If there was a speed rule there would be no more GREATS everyone would be the same.
Predator
8/6/2012 8:04am
Its an old topic, but does it appear to anyone else that the mx nationals speeds are too fast? What happened to the rough and choppy...
Its an old topic, but does it appear to anyone else that the mx nationals speeds are too fast? What happened to the rough and choppy tracks that bred grueling battles? Nascar has a speed restriction maybe there should be a top speed restriction for mx for the safety of the riders? Those 1/4 inch hip pads dont cut it anymore............
hellion
8/6/2012 8:28am
Of course they are, to argue otherwise you must have your head in the sand. All across the sport major injuries are way up. Even our top ranked riders don't seem to be able to safely race 450's as the majority of the top ten are out with injury. 250f's are easily as fast as the 250 two strokes of ten or fifteen years ago, and that's supposed to be a beginners class bike size?
Back in the day, Open bikes were super fast too. But they were so sketchy to ride that nobody dared take them to the ragged edge. With 450's that edge is camoflaged in a great handling chassis, great suspension and smooth power. Often a rider is beyond his limits without knowing it.
Beyond all that though, what was wrong with the 125? Sure riders could ride them pinned. Sure they were slower. But going fast on one was an art form, an art form that our sport needs.
More power doesn't equal better racing, in fact it does the opposite when the gates are depleted with injury.

The Shop

8/6/2012 8:34am Edited Date/Time 8/6/2012 8:49am
Yes. Just like some girls boobs are too big, some women are too skinny, a stock crotch rocket can go 200 mph, you can take a 450 up to a 100 foot jump and blip over it......

But this is 'Merica. lol
Sandberm
8/6/2012 8:42am
hellion wrote:
Of course they are, to argue otherwise you must have your head in the sand. All across the sport major injuries are way up. Even our...
Of course they are, to argue otherwise you must have your head in the sand. All across the sport major injuries are way up. Even our top ranked riders don't seem to be able to safely race 450's as the majority of the top ten are out with injury. 250f's are easily as fast as the 250 two strokes of ten or fifteen years ago, and that's supposed to be a beginners class bike size?
Back in the day, Open bikes were super fast too. But they were so sketchy to ride that nobody dared take them to the ragged edge. With 450's that edge is camoflaged in a great handling chassis, great suspension and smooth power. Often a rider is beyond his limits without knowing it.
Beyond all that though, what was wrong with the 125? Sure riders could ride them pinned. Sure they were slower. But going fast on one was an art form, an art form that our sport needs.
More power doesn't equal better racing, in fact it does the opposite when the gates are depleted with injury.
Very well said.
8/6/2012 8:48am
hellion wrote:
Of course they are, to argue otherwise you must have your head in the sand. All across the sport major injuries are way up. Even our...
Sandberm wrote:
Very well said.
+2
tapkawiman
8/6/2012 9:09am
hellion wrote:
Sandberm wrote:
Very well said.
+2
X3
newmann
8/6/2012 9:12am
hellion wrote:
Yep. Everyone talks about how slow 125's were/are, but damn that was some of the best racing on the planet. And no one can convince me that the 450's provide better racing than the 250's do (regardless of strokes).

The 250 class provides great racing as it always has and the riders seem to be able to maintain control of them better. Considering it is the lower level of talent (supposedly, being the stepping stone class) you would think the injury list would be a whole lot longer and a whole lot more severe than the seasoned riders of the 450 class, but it's not, is it?
pchak
8/6/2012 9:32am
motocross racers understand that this is a dangerous sport they know the consequences when they wreck. also If there was a speed rule there would be...
motocross racers understand that this is a dangerous sport they know the consequences when they wreck. also If there was a speed rule there would be no more GREATS everyone would be the same.
This is a ridiculous argument. There are a million things they can do to lower speeds without killing competition. I think you should look up how NASCAR does things a bit.

I personally would like to think that there is some correlation between speed vs injury(even if it is small). I know this is a controversial topic but I would like to see all efforts made to make this sport as safe as possible.
8/6/2012 9:44am
newmann wrote:
Yep. Everyone talks about how slow 125's were/are, but damn that was some of the best racing on the planet. And no one can convince me...
Yep. Everyone talks about how slow 125's were/are, but damn that was some of the best racing on the planet. And no one can convince me that the 450's provide better racing than the 250's do (regardless of strokes).

The 250 class provides great racing as it always has and the riders seem to be able to maintain control of them better. Considering it is the lower level of talent (supposedly, being the stepping stone class) you would think the injury list would be a whole lot longer and a whole lot more severe than the seasoned riders of the 450 class, but it's not, is it?
Maybe you are Tblazier knows.. but was there ever a 500 race that came close to the intensity of say.... Atlanta 1990? Love the sound of those bikes.. so throaty. But the racing I've seen is pretty dull for the most part. Though Emig's downhill launch in the (1996?) MXdN was pretty cool.
dehner47
8/6/2012 9:56am
maybe not restricting the speed like NASCAR does. but maybe restrict what you can do to the motor.

a stock 450 is fast. a worked 450.. come on now.
dedi684
8/6/2012 10:15am
I just watched the best racing I've seen in years at the 125 at crow hill. 25 minutes of action!
wardy
8/6/2012 10:17am
hellion wrote:
Sandberm wrote:
Very well said.
+2
i am on this band wagon.
8/6/2012 10:17am
Agree that it is aggravating due to safety improvements, but they mainly did it for fan safety. That is, keeping cars from flying into the crowds on the super speedways. Seeing Elliott and the top teams go 210+ one year and then seeing them run 195 the following year was a major shock. Pretty boring to watch live at 195, at 210+, it was impressive.
wardy
8/6/2012 10:19am
especially too fast for kids.
pchak
8/6/2012 10:19am
Lets also remember this sport no matter how great it is is a long way away from bringing in the kinds of money such as NASCAR. So if they did run restricted motors or whatever the AMA decided to do to bring the speeds down mechanically. Who would inspect those parts of ever bike for every race. NASCAR can force everyone to run their generic parts. They also have the means to check every single car of every single race and qualifying run for non compliance.

I personally believe the 450 class should be and open class. Run what you want. I would like to see rules in super cross like no triples on the first lap or two. Possibly forcing riders to roll all jumps on the track for the first 1/2 lap or lap. I hope to never see another accident happen like what happened to Canard.
Hank_Thrill
8/6/2012 10:29am
The first ten years I watched the sport, from '93-'03, I can only recall three spinal injuries to professionals of the sport (Henry, Emig, and Button). I realize there may be a few others I am missing. However, since 2006 I have completely lost count to the number of spinal injuries that have occurred. It wouldn't surprise me if the numbers are somewhere between 20-40. Spinal fractures in today's era are the new collarbones of the sport.

Hindsight is 20/20
ocscottie
8/6/2012 10:38am
dedi684 wrote:
I just watched the best racing I've seen in years at the 125 at crow hill. 25 minutes of action!
When i read the title of this thread the 1st thing that came to mind was back when it was a real 125cc class, and how incredible it was to watch the top riders trying to get every bit they could out of a 125. That was incredible to watch, and not saying there wasnt bad crashes/injuries back then, but nowadays it is almost scary...it has come to a point where it is not "if" but "when" is the next big one coming?
dehner47
8/6/2012 10:50am
pchak wrote:
Lets also remember this sport no matter how great it is is a long way away from bringing in the kinds of money such as NASCAR...
Lets also remember this sport no matter how great it is is a long way away from bringing in the kinds of money such as NASCAR. So if they did run restricted motors or whatever the AMA decided to do to bring the speeds down mechanically. Who would inspect those parts of ever bike for every race. NASCAR can force everyone to run their generic parts. They also have the means to check every single car of every single race and qualifying run for non compliance.

I personally believe the 450 class should be and open class. Run what you want. I would like to see rules in super cross like no triples on the first lap or two. Possibly forcing riders to roll all jumps on the track for the first 1/2 lap or lap. I hope to never see another accident happen like what happened to Canard.
im sorry dude. but the rolling the jumps for the first lap or so.. plain stupid!!!!

one, thats not racing. and two, as soon as one guy has a brain fart, someones getting landed on!!!
ocscottie
8/6/2012 10:53am
pchak wrote:
Lets also remember this sport no matter how great it is is a long way away from bringing in the kinds of money such as NASCAR...

dehner47 wrote:
im sorry dude. but the rolling the jumps for the first lap or so.. plain stupid!!!! one, thats not racing. and two, as soon as one...
im sorry dude. but the rolling the jumps for the first lap or so.. plain stupid!!!!

one, thats not racing. and two, as soon as one guy has a brain fart, someones getting landed on!!!
Yea Nick, i dont know where the hell that one came from? the 1st lap of racing is the most exciting lap of the race!

Crazy talk Blink
IWreckALot
8/6/2012 11:15am
I think they need to make the bialing lanes a bit wider. Didn't mom say that Trey didn't have anywhere to go except to get back on the track? There is enough wasted space in the stadiums to give another foot or two between lanes. Or alternatively they could maybe make the lanes in the first few corners wider so it's not as much of a bottleneck as it is.

Just throwing things out there to see what sticks.
BobTheBuilder
8/6/2012 12:18pm
The speeds are way too fast. It is crazy how much slower the bikes seem from just 10 years ago when you watch video. Remember back when 500 two strokes went extinct it was an easy decision…….the bikes were heavy, handled poorly, the power was nearly uncontrollable, and there was still two smaller sizes of bikes. 450s, though overpowered like 500s, have fantastic chassis and the power is more ridable, making it seem as though the displacement is right. The reality is even the 450 pros are off the throttle just as much a on it. I have it on good authority that a factory team’s 250 makes 48 hp……stupid. How is a 250 appropriate for 15 year-old just off minis? We’ve painted ourselves into a corner by allowing such ridiculous engine sizes. There is no smaller size to go to and if the OEMs have to tool up for reduced displacement the cost is going to get passed on to us, bad time for that.
JJO741
Fantasy
3037th
8/6/2012 12:24pm
I am a huge fan of bringing back the 125 class. At this point, it is a need in my opinion. I fail to see why OEM's like Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki can't produce 125's for kids stepping up from an 85. Like others have mentioned, 125 races were awesome. It is such a fun bike to ride.
Chillllmatic
8/6/2012 1:19pm
Why dont they just make tracks flat, time attack races and add speed limits in there as well? The national tracks haven't changed much to add a risk factor in the past few years, its just the way the sport goes sometimes.
watson
8/6/2012 1:44pm
I think our sport is dangerous, always has been, and always will be. Some people act like no-one got injured on older/slower tracks and on two strokes. It's like saying the world is ending because there were two more earthquakes than normal this year.
JW381
8/6/2012 1:50pm
Yes. Look at WRC racing, they had the unlimited era in the 80's and the cars were just blistering fast. All different forms of motorsports have speed restrictions and other design features in place to curb speeds while trying to minimize the effect on the racing itself.
englishman
8/6/2012 1:53pm
Yes, chatting with my buddy who is a Dr and listening to his purely clinical explanation of how the human form cannot withstand the impact of crashes and what must happen so that it can evolve to the point of being able to is classic.

I agree with Scottie - youtube any national from the most recent 125 era and then the same track from today - the 125's look like single speed mopeds in comparison.
JW381
8/6/2012 1:56pm
I think the tracks are a bigger problem than the bikes. Yes, they're faster, but it doesn't help when the track makers make thins smoother, longer and faster.
tns
8/6/2012 2:24pm
here is a really crazy idea how about we put decent silencers on the bikes to slow them down and at the same time get rid of the noise problem.
I know a track close to me makes every 4st use a db killer the riding is still good

Post a reply to: Are mx race speeds too fast?

The Latest