Arai MX-V vs Shoei VRX-W

Edited Date/Time 7/6/2014 8:08pm
I need a new crash helmet and I'm torn between a Shoei VFX-W and an Arai MX-V. I just need some pro's and con's with both helmets, like what has the better build quality, fit & weight. Note, I haven't tried either on but these are the two makes I'd prefer.
|
tobz
7/5/2014 10:51am
Go to a shop and try them on? What's comfy for me might not be comfy for you...
7/5/2014 11:02am
tobz wrote:
Go to a shop and try them on? What's comfy for me might not be comfy for you...
I understand what your saying and thanks for your reply but I just want people opinions if they have owned both brands.

The Shop

MXD
7/5/2014 11:37am
Like the others above have said, you need to try them on. I have the Shoei because my dealer stocks both and when I tried them on, the Arai fit differently and I didn't like it. The Shoei fit my head better. As far as quality, they are on the same level so it comes down to fit.
nytsmaC
7/5/2014 12:10pm
This. ^^^^

They both feel very different, both are excellent helmets. Try them both on and it will be a no brainer for you, one of them will feel great and one won't depending on your head shape.
bigborefan
7/5/2014 7:49pm
Long time ARAI guy but I just got a new Shoei. The ARAI seemed cramped to me. The face mask is really close IMO. The Shoei is pretty light and fits just fine. So far so good.
brimx153
7/5/2014 9:58pm
If the arai fits you ,I'd go for it over any helmet. Even before 6d , it's a bit heavier , but is the best out there and always has been. But it has to fit u right , it does fit different than most helmets imo .and if it's not right u can't go wrong with a shoei either
7/5/2014 11:15pm
Love my Arai. Like putting your head into a dry vagina. Same goes for my street bike helmet.
Ebs
7/6/2014 5:24am
I'm holding onto my Arai but, I'm curious to see how the new Leatt bucket stacks up. It seems they're combining newer ideas from both 6D and Kali, sounds promising.
Grieby54
7/6/2014 6:41am
Love my Arai. Like putting your head into a dry vagina. Same goes for my street bike helmet.
That sounds awful...
worcsracer808
7/6/2014 10:23am
I have owned both and I love my ARAI, idk about the mX-V but I had the VX-Pro3 and it's amazing in comfort, a little bit heavier than the shoei but feels better built to be honest. Shoei was nice though but felt bigger and the padding wasnt as comfortable, plus on the ARAI most of the vents are closeable so you can close them if you're doing cold weather riding vs always open vents on the shoei. Cant go wrong either way though.
TeamGreen
7/6/2014 10:54am
I've been working with composite materials for 30 years. I've worn both Arai and Shoei helmets; yet, I currently wear a different brand. On the other-hand, I just bought a Shoei street-helmet for a good friend.

As others have said, you're in good hands with either brand.

A few guys have mentioned 6D, Leatt and other brands that're pursuing a new approach to "impact" & "deceleration". Personally, I've talked to the people that're developing these products & they are on to something: we're wearing helmets that're tested to standards that DON'T make sense when you actually put a human head in to the equation. They (the current testing labs/stds) actually whack the living Shit outta the helmet, during testing, in such a way that makes NO SENSE when you compare it to what we are trying to accomplish by wearing a helmet on a motorcycle and PROTECTING the Brain that's in it...

There are some great studies/papers on the subject that are very informative & shed a lot of light on the issue.
Mickolobe7
7/6/2014 7:39pm
Try on a Airoh 2.1 I tried on the shoei and a big difference in comfort and the Airoh is so light.
ricko
7/6/2014 7:48pm
my last 2 helmets were arai and I loved them. I was due for a new one and just couldn't spend the money on another arai, got a shoei at a great deal, not sure if I like how it fits but still very comfortable and I'll get used to it. arai and shoei are 2 totally different feeling helmets. both are awesome tho.
7/6/2014 8:08pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2014 8:09pm
I need a new crash helmet and I'm torn between a Shoei VFX-W and an Arai MX-V. I just need some pro's and con's with both...
I need a new crash helmet and I'm torn between a Shoei VFX-W and an Arai MX-V. I just need some pro's and con's with both helmets, like what has the better build quality, fit & weight. Note, I haven't tried either on but these are the two makes I'd prefer.
I have used both Arai and Shoei for years. Love them both. Can't go wrong either way.

Interesting that you say the feel so different... Must be your head shape. Once I strap one on...I can not tell the difference.

Post a reply to: Arai MX-V vs Shoei VRX-W

The Latest