Anyone use hitch carriers to haul their bikes?

DBerg
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 9:27am
I use a hitch carrier to haul my bike and man that thing wobbles around a bit on a bumpy road. I was wondering if any of you have the same issue and what you did (if anything) to fix it. I was thinking about getting some of those wedges that you'd use to square a door frame, but I'm afraid I might not be able to get it back out or that it would break off in there and leaving me with a stuck hitch carrier. Any opinions?
|
hey_man
2/15/2011 6:20pm
I use one and also find the wobble disconcerting. But, I think once all of the nuts are tightened, a bit of give may be a good thing allowing for some "bend" rather than a break.

I hastily secured the bike to the carrier the last time I used it and I had a tip-over for the first time. I blame myself, but it scared the hell out of me. Luckily I was moving very slowly. The tip-over occurred the only time I didn't use a 5th tie; one extending from the bars diagonally to the hitch.
Sideways717
2/15/2011 6:23pm
Hey man, I use one. It came with a tightener that takes the slop out. It works like a charm. It has 3 17mm bolts on the underside that extend and tighten to your receiver. I'm not sure what the technical name for it is but it is possible to get all that play taken out. Good luck!
dc1236
2/15/2011 6:24pm
I use one also. I think as long as you properly install it and use tie-downs as instructed you shouldn't have any worries. I've noticed a little wobble, but nothing to be too worried about. I travel on highways, interstates, maintained county roads, as well as private back roads and I've never had a problem.
hey_man
2/15/2011 6:45pm
How many tie-downs do you guys use? The manual for my rig recommends 4: one on the right side of the bars to the carrier, another on the left side of the bars, one underneath the carrier from foot peg to foot peg and one over the rear tire. I found that slack can develop in a tie-down and the hook to the carrier can swing loose. The tie-downs from the bars are especially prone.

The Shop

dc1236
2/15/2011 6:53pm
I have the Cycle Country carrier and it calls for 4 also. Two on each side of the handle bar that stretch down to the front and middle of the motorcycle to the carrier.
Yours sounds like quite a contraption? What brand is it?
DBerg
2/15/2011 7:01pm
I only use 3 straps on mine. One from the bars to the carrier, one from the bars to the receiver hitch, and one from the bottom of the frame under the engine to the carrier. My bike is snug as a bug when strapped down, so that's not really an issue, but the carrier itself wobbling in the receiver hitch is what worries me. I'm just concerned that all the wobbling will weaken the square tubing.
Sideways - I'm a little confused about what you're describing. It sounds like there's bolts on the square tubing where it slides into the receiver hitch that you can adjust to basically take up the "free space" around it, but I only have about a millimeter or 2 of space in there so I don't know how a bolt head could possibly fit or how it could be adjusted when it's in the receiver hitch.
2/15/2011 7:17pm
Mine has a vertical square tube attached in the center that comes up about 6 inches over my seat with a padded bend that holds the bike nice and snug. It also protects the back of my SUV if the bike were to have any sway. It came with a bike I bought and the first time I used it I drove from Bay Area to Washington State with no issues at all. I use 5 tie downs.
hey_man
2/15/2011 7:27pm
The brand of my rig is "Moto-tote". I'm going to replace my "bare" S-hooks with S- or J-hooks with clips or snap hooks to avoid another episode.
Sideways717
2/15/2011 7:33pm
DBerg wrote:
I only use 3 straps on mine. One from the bars to the carrier, one from the bars to the receiver hitch, and one from the...
I only use 3 straps on mine. One from the bars to the carrier, one from the bars to the receiver hitch, and one from the bottom of the frame under the engine to the carrier. My bike is snug as a bug when strapped down, so that's not really an issue, but the carrier itself wobbling in the receiver hitch is what worries me. I'm just concerned that all the wobbling will weaken the square tubing.
Sideways - I'm a little confused about what you're describing. It sounds like there's bolts on the square tubing where it slides into the receiver hitch that you can adjust to basically take up the "free space" around it, but I only have about a millimeter or 2 of space in there so I don't know how a bolt head could possibly fit or how it could be adjusted when it's in the receiver hitch.
It slides over the end of your carrier where it goes into your receiver. After you pin your carrier into place, this piece slides up flush with your receiver. It is L shaped so the bottom of this device reaches out so the 3 17mm bolts can thread up to the bottom of your receiver. I hope this explanation is better.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
2/15/2011 7:34pm
hey_man wrote:
The brand of my rig is "Moto-tote". I'm going to replace my "bare" S-hooks with S- or J-hooks with clips or snap hooks to avoid another...
The brand of my rig is "Moto-tote". I'm going to replace my "bare" S-hooks with S- or J-hooks with clips or snap hooks to avoid another episode.
Yep, use the tie-downs with the clip ends. Another cheapo trick to get you by is to hook a bungee cord or tarp strap from one end of the tie down to the other so that it keeps the hooks from coming off even if slack develops when the bike bounces.
DBerg
2/15/2011 9:16pm
Sideways - That sounds pretty interesting, I didn't think of anything like that. Do you think that's something I could possibly buy from that company and use on mine? What brand is it? Sorry for all the questions
lumpy790
2/15/2011 9:31pm
I have a jack rack and use 2 tie downs on the inside from the handlebar on the front and the sub frame on the rear to the trailer chain eyelets.
Mod Killer
2/15/2011 9:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2011 9:38pm
Hey man, I use one. It came with a tightener that takes the slop out. It works like a charm. It has 3 17mm bolts on...
Hey man, I use one. It came with a tightener that takes the slop out. It works like a charm. It has 3 17mm bolts on the underside that extend and tighten to your receiver. I'm not sure what the technical name for it is but it is possible to get all that play taken out. Good luck!
dberg, its called a JOE HAULER

its the exact one i use. its the ONLY brand i would use. no wobble whatsoever. only one large bolt to tighten that locks it into the hitch. super simple.

i only use two tie straps. been riding multiple times a week since november so you know ive put some miles in. and not one issue. i absolutely love it.

theyre about 450 plus another 50 for the little mini ramp accessory.
mjskier
2/15/2011 9:43pm
I had a moto jack rack. I just used a couple of tie downs from the bike to the truck bumper and hitch. Took care of any wobbling.
drmarkr
2/15/2011 9:45pm
This is what I have.....works EXACTLY like the vid shows. The bike will not budge once loaded.
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
2/15/2011 9:53pm
I don't need no frekin hitch carrier

lumpy790
2/15/2011 11:05pm
RonSkj wrote:
I don't need no frekin hitch carrier [img]https://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2007/11/driver-loses-bike-on-highway.jpg[/img]
I don't need no frekin hitch carrier

I saw a guy at Tower City PA that hauled his bike like that.
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
2/16/2011 5:06am
I used to use the moto jack rack and loved it for my Ford Escape. It had some side to side play but that was easily cured by using a strap from the back wheel to one of the eyelets on the car hitch.

I bought a truck so if anyone wants it hit me up.
bajamx85
2/16/2011 11:26pm
I just bought a bike on Tuesday after like 5 years of not riding at all and I do not have a truck or anything to move it with... I even considered doing what RonSkj posted lol... I wish they made a rack for cars...
2/17/2011 10:47am
I use an Ultimate MX Hauler... works great! There's a little wobble, but it's the bike and the platform flexing. The hitch has a bolt that tightens that part down and keeps it from moving. Admittedly, the first few times I used it, I was pretty paranoid... but after a while I hardly gave it a thought.

On my wife's Jeep:

Lechon
2/17/2011 11:02am
install ANTI-wobble.....comes with 3 -17mm screws..maybe $15 on EBAY
DBerg
2/17/2011 11:27am
Lechon - thanks man, just ordered it. I feel kinda stupid because I was trying to figure out what it would be called and what to search for.... In hindsight, the term "anti-wobble" is pretty obvious, haha.
crusher773
2/17/2011 12:35pm
I just bought one but haven't used it yet. Its one of the double carriers. Mine came with the anti wobble 17mm fix too we'll see how it works.
2/17/2011 9:38pm
before I bought my enclosed trailer I was using a 2 rail hitch carrier to carry my bikes and it was pretty sketchy. It would pull me all over the road and was just kindof a sketchy setup even with the anti wobble thing they give you. Enclosed trailer is working better but killing gas mileage.

Post a reply to: Anyone use hitch carriers to haul their bikes?

The Latest