Anyone take a 2 stroke for long trips in Baja Mexico?

casper
Edited Date/Time 11/16/2014 4:10pm
I'm in the market for a new bike and I've always wanted to go back to a 2 stroke for riding the track, but I also do allot of desert riding and trips down in Baja. When I ride down in Mexico, I never see any one riding 2 strokes. A couple things that worry me though.

1. I would have to carry 2 stroke oil with me in my backpack as these trips can last 2-3 days and travel over 200 miles. Some places we stop for gas are just some lady selling gas out of milk jugs out in the middle of nowhere, so no oil to be bought there and I'm not sure I would be able to get or trust and 2 stroke oil I get at a Pemex.
2. The gas millage. My friend who runs riding tours and also races the Baja said 2 strokes get less millage and I would need a desert tank to ride.
3. There is allot of 5 gear WFO riding like riding down a beach for 10 miles or straight desert roads for miles. I don't know if this is a valid concern or not.

|
JW381
11/14/2014 9:45am
Yeah this real big douche bag on the forums did a trip in Mexico on his 2-stroke. He'll tell you all about it and his super hot monster girl
mx_563
11/14/2014 10:17am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2014 10:42am
Peelout has.

Back in about 1998 I took my 97 RM250 from Santa Varonica to San Quintin. Then the next day over to Mikes, by way of Melings. And on day 3 back to Veronica. Fouled a plug once. Carried octane booster and premix. It was OK. Make sure to turn off the petcock when dropping oil in otherwise it'll drop straight down into the carb.

Oh, and I put a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket on the bike in place of the stock 13.
endurox
11/14/2014 10:21am
casper wrote:
I'm in the market for a new bike and I've always wanted to go back to a 2 stroke for riding the track, but I also...
I'm in the market for a new bike and I've always wanted to go back to a 2 stroke for riding the track, but I also do allot of desert riding and trips down in Baja. When I ride down in Mexico, I never see any one riding 2 strokes. A couple things that worry me though.

1. I would have to carry 2 stroke oil with me in my backpack as these trips can last 2-3 days and travel over 200 miles. Some places we stop for gas are just some lady selling gas out of milk jugs out in the middle of nowhere, so no oil to be bought there and I'm not sure I would be able to get or trust and 2 stroke oil I get at a Pemex.
2. The gas millage. My friend who runs riding tours and also races the Baja said 2 strokes get less millage and I would need a desert tank to ride.
3. There is allot of 5 gear WFO riding like riding down a beach for 10 miles or straight desert roads for miles. I don't know if this is a valid concern or not.

For sure you need a bigger tank, also never pass up a gas station down there, even if you have half a tank. On one trip, the gas station where we had planned to get gas did not have any. So you have to ask in Spanish if there is someone in town who has gas to sell. There will most always be someone but you pay a lot more. Also only cash, forget the credit cards. Don't crash and don't get hurt. Enjoy the riding, people, landscape and respect their country.
peelout
11/14/2014 10:30am
casper wrote:
I'm in the market for a new bike and I've always wanted to go back to a 2 stroke for riding the track, but I also...

@JWat, FUJWat

@Casper shoot me a pm. took my 300 1400 miles from Tecate to LaPaz in April.

The Shop

mx_563
11/14/2014 10:41am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2014 10:42am
This was my setup back in 98'. I was a poor college student so it was somewhat spartan (note duct tape on my Tech 4). I had a Clarke tank which I think held about 3.2 gallons, and then I had an extra 1 gallon can strapped to me. I remember on day three I ran out of fuel coming into Valle de Trinidad. I'd ridden from San Quintin to Mike's the day before and then I was headed from Mike's to Valle de Trinidad. I got some fuel from a buddy and made it in.

TeamGreen
11/14/2014 10:49am
casper wrote:

peelout wrote:
@JWat, FUJWat

Yo...I heard real men race XR650s and pass the other 3 guys in their class (0-50, started last of 4) by RM 25 & hand the bike off w/ a ten minute lead (on-course) at San Vincente.

I'm jus' sayin'...
peelout
11/14/2014 10:50am
as for "quick" answers to your 3 questions,

1 - i bought the Wolfman Day Tripper SaddleBags to haul oil. i put the oil in 20oz MtnDew bottles as they seal well, are slender, and easy to measure. i then bought the KTM Oil Flask strictly for measuring the oil (don't try to ride with oil in it you can thank me later). I also bought an MSR watter bladder and put it in a back-pack for the long days that we couldn't stop for additional fuel. it holds fuel very well while riding, i bought the 4litre (1gallon) but if i did it again i would get the 6litre as the 4 holds just under 4litres. 1 gallon of fuel on your back is no big deal, but you don't want to carry all that oil on your back. i highly recommend the saddlebags, maybe even spring for the next size up for additional room depending on how much oil you want to carry. i always had enough oil to last 250 miles (just in case). we were fortunate enough to have a chase truck to haul my 2 gallons of oil for the whole trip, but you could do it if you needed to.

2 - i got anywhere between 22 and 26 mpg, with most of it being dirt roads i was right around 25mpg average. the beach KILLED my fuel mileage... bad, i'm talking around 10-12mpg... that can spell trouble in a hurry in MX. also, make sure you carry extra gas on the beach days... i bought the Acerbis 5 gallon tank. it's a fuckin' monster but you can get about 125 miles on a full tank, 140-150 if you carry 1 gallon on your back.

side note... one of the days i had to be able to go 190 miles, slower technical riding from San Ignacio to Mulege, i had to carry my 5 gallons in my tank, 1 gallon in my back-pack, and i hung a gallon of fuel in antifreeze bottles from each shoulder. every 30 miles i'd stop and pour fuel in. i made it the entire way but i was sore.

3 - there is A LOT of 70mph+ WFO riding down there... our trip averaged 49mph over 1400 miles... that's hauling ass for a long time. i never had problems, but a trick i learned the 2nd day is to get up to your cruise speed (70-75) and tilt your head down to block the wind so you can hear your bike rev... i was cruising at 75 with about 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. you can't hear fucking anything and it would be easy to seize that bitch up. i also pulled my clutch in and held the throttle for a short time every time to slow down to keep it from going from a huge rev to none.

like i said, PM me if you want any more info.

i was on a 2012 KTM 300XC
6 speed
gearing 14-47 (i don't think i could fit a 15 on there and i don't know if anyone makes a 46 for a KTM)
my jetting was super fat as the elevation fluctuates so much down there. leaner jetting = better fuel mileage but risky.

if i was on a 5 speed 2-stroke... i think i would have had problems cruising at those speeds.
peelout
11/14/2014 10:54am
TeamGreen wrote:
Yo...I heard real men race XR650s and pass the other 3 guys in their class (0-50, started last of 4) by RM 25 & hand the...
Yo...I heard real men race XR650s and pass the other 3 guys in their class (0-50, started last of 4) by RM 25 & hand the bike off w/ a ten minute lead (on-course) at San Vincente.

I'm jus' sayin'...
i haven't been keeping up with the Baja, you talkin' about Myers? he's a fuckin' animal... he passed me on some sketchy nasty rocky piece of shit stretch like i was standing still (i was doing 65 or so)... the rocks and dust were so bad i had to stop for 30 seconds so i could see.

he's a bad dude.

if you're talking about Manny, you're a bad dude too and next time i go down there i'm taking a big 4-stroke
TeamGreen
11/14/2014 11:02am
TeamGreen wrote:
Yo...I heard real men race XR650s and pass the other 3 guys in their class (0-50, started last of 4) by RM 25 & hand the...

I'm jus' sayin'...
peelout wrote:
i haven't been keeping up with the Baja, you talkin' about Myers? he's a fuckin' animal... he passed me on some sketchy nasty rocky piece of...
i haven't been keeping up with the Baja, you talkin' about Myers? he's a fuckin' animal... he passed me on some sketchy nasty rocky piece of shit stretch like i was standing still (i was doing 65 or so)... the rocks and dust were so bad i had to stop for 30 seconds so i could see.

he's a bad dude.

if you're talking about Manny, you're a bad dude too and next time i go down there i'm taking a big 4-stroke
I started the 516X (a Campbell/Ogilvie lookin' 650R) & had a really good run outta town. It's hard to "stay with the plan in your head"; but, I DID! Made passes Carefully and "extended" just like I'd planned. No stupid moves in the dust. No trying to "win the start". I just Rode my own Race. Got off the bike and counted the minutes 'til I saw another "500" plate...we were GOOD! I did my job.

STOKED!

Speed Zones where VERY INTERESTING & will decide a lot of class wins this race.
peelout
11/14/2014 11:11am
TeamGreen wrote:

I'm jus' sayin'...
peelout wrote:
i haven't been keeping up with the Baja, you talkin' about Myers? he's a fuckin' animal... he passed me on some sketchy nasty rocky piece of...

he's a bad dude.

TeamGreen wrote:
I started the 516X (a Campbell/Ogilvie lookin' 650R) & had a really good run outta town. It's hard to "stay with the plan in your head"...
I started the 516X (a Campbell/Ogilvie lookin' 650R) & had a really good run outta town. It's hard to "stay with the plan in your head"; but, I DID! Made passes Carefully and "extended" just like I'd planned. No stupid moves in the dust. No trying to "win the start". I just Rode my own Race. Got off the bike and counted the minutes 'til I saw another "500" plate...we were GOOD! I did my job.

STOKED!

Speed Zones where VERY INTERESTING & will decide a lot of class wins this race.
that's awesome!

after riding down there, i honestly never want to race the Baja. before i did ride down there, i had grand plans of attempting it... but NOPE.
JW381
11/14/2014 11:19am
casper wrote:

peelout wrote:
@JWat, FUJWat

Cool
Xeno
11/14/2014 12:10pm
When I was in high school I took my CR250R for a two-day joyride to Mike's Sky Ranch.
Broke my wrist (throttle hand) on day one.
Made a cast out of duct tape the next morning before breakfast. Rode back to 'Merica.
Good times.
Xeno
11/14/2014 12:15pm
Some goon racing a 2-stroke in Baja:

casper
11/16/2014 10:55am
Thanks for the input everyone. So I went to look at new bikes yesterday with the intention of picking up a new yz250 or KTM 250sx but no one had any in stock. What I did find was there are some deals going on for 450's right now that I wasn't even considering. I went through this same situation last time I was in the market for a new bike, part of me want's to switch back to a 2 stroke for the track, but I end up with a 4 stroke.
BobbyM
11/16/2014 11:55am
casper wrote:

The late great Danny Hamel could answer that.
MxKing809
Fantasy
334th
11/16/2014 12:07pm
Hey Casper, I'm selling my 2014 250SX, you should definitely buy it!!
TeamGreen
11/16/2014 1:27pm
casper wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone. So I went to look at new bikes yesterday with the intention of picking up a new yz250 or KTM 250sx...
Thanks for the input everyone. So I went to look at new bikes yesterday with the intention of picking up a new yz250 or KTM 250sx but no one had any in stock. What I did find was there are some deals going on for 450's right now that I wasn't even considering. I went through this same situation last time I was in the market for a new bike, part of me want's to switch back to a 2 stroke for the track, but I end up with a 4 stroke.
Husky 300.

hillbilly
11/16/2014 4:10pm
Not sure if they still make it but dad used a front plate tank ,held a gallon. I may still have it.,used a petcock and a T line at the carb.

Back in the 70s ,long before the tree huggers and nature boys shut the public forest from the public we would go 100 to 150 miles out the mountain tops and hollers,being on a 73 mx360 with small tank I would strap a antifreeze jug to the forks and charge like a demon till she went lean,dump in the gallon and nurse it to a little mountain store we would stop at,

Refill,get a moonpie and yeller dope and charge like hell was a catchin'

Cant even ride a bike in the mountains now.

Post a reply to: Anyone take a 2 stroke for long trips in Baja Mexico?

The Latest