Anyone ride at Durhamtown?

thormx11
Edited Date/Time 9/16/2014 6:44am
I've heard of this place quite a bit over the last few years. I've always wanted to ride there for a weekend. I am going to plan a trip down there for me and my girlfriend one weekend. I plan to rent a cabin and a bike for her (most likely the 230f) for the weekend, I have my own bike to take along.

How are the tracks? Is there a better time to go? I will most likely go in November.

Are there any other tracks/places like this? That have rental bikes, plenty of tracks/trails for everyone, and camping as well?
|
wwoberg
9/15/2014 6:50pm
Dirt is Georgia clay. Although if you hit the tracks when they are prepped its good. Tons of trails for every level. Flat track, drag strip, buggy track. Cool freeriding. Its a great place to go. I love it. U can ride 2 days and never ride somewhere twice.

Never eaten at the restaurant.......have heard it is best to avoid. Bath house is good. Pro shop has good deals. It is packed and dusty as hell on weekends. I go during the week.
ehr400
9/15/2014 6:54pm
Go to Highland park instead. It is right on the Bama/ Georgia border. Probably closer for you too. Tracks are alot better and wont wreck your tires in 2 motos like Durhamtown.
wwoberg
9/15/2014 7:51pm
Dtown has better facilities than highland park......by a long way. It may make a difference to your partner. (HP bathhouse is frightening).

These are the only 2 places that I know of where u can rent a bike. So take the advice as is, u don't have a lot of choices.

The Shop

thesadguy
9/15/2014 10:09pm
wwoberg wrote:
Dtown has better facilities than highland park......by a long way. It may make a difference to your partner. (HP bathhouse is frightening). These are the only...
Dtown has better facilities than highland park......by a long way. It may make a difference to your partner. (HP bathhouse is frightening).

These are the only 2 places that I know of where u can rent a bike. So take the advice as is, u don't have a lot of choices.
good point. the spouse will like duhramtown better
steveada
9/16/2014 5:47am
It's a fun place to ride though the tracks are usually hard packed and not real challenging. In addition, after riding they often have a band there on Sat nights so there is something to do with your wife in the evening
Brapp
9/16/2014 6:01am
I have been going to D Town for better than a decade and love the place. Last two KTMs I bought came from Highland Park and KTM World so I go there as well. Both places offer things that are different from the other. Most of my time is spent in the woods though I do ride some MX. Both places have fun MX tracks and both have challenging trails but if you are bringing a beginner I would recommend D Town.
DoctorJD
9/16/2014 6:44am
I ride at DP a lot, since its only about 30 minutes from home (I'm actually going this weekend). It is a very cool place, but not hard-core moto. The "Bomber" track is their flagship, and they usually do a good job keep it prepped. I've been really impressed this year with the attention they've paid to their other tracks. If you follow them on Twitter, they usually will keep you posted as to what tracks get prep and when. Tons of trails to ride, and very beginner-friendly. The pro shop is really cool and they have surprisingly competitive pricing. The restaurant is not bad, just don't go on Sunday afternoon. If you're a good rider, I'd stay on the Bomber and the SX track. There are other tracks scattered around the property, but they're for spodes like me. As steveada pointed out, they typically have some kind of entertainment on Saturday nights.

Now the bad:
The dirt is Georgia red clay. It gets hard, really hard. If you're lucky, you'll get there after its rained a couple of days and you'll get that good, tacky kinda clay, not the asphalt kind.

The place is ate up with SxS's and quads. I don't have an aversion to either, except they are allowed almost everywhere the bikes are, with a few exceptions. They make the clay even harder, if that's possible.

Be careful on the trails. While they are all one-way, I've had several near-misses with wrong way riders. Mostly kids. We had some guys parked next to us last spring that were involved in a huge pile-up because a SxS stopped in a blind (high speed) corner. The result was a hospital visit and two totally trashed bikes.

Just keep your expectations in check and you'll have a good time. Like I said, its not hard-core moto and they try to appeal to a wide variety of riders, so they do a lot of things good, but nothing great. Hell, they were having a rally car race there a couple of weeks ago. If it were just you and your buddy's, I'd offer another suggestion, but since you have your lady with you, I'd definitely recommend.
Kanewel433
5/4/2018 6:18am
DoctorJD wrote:
I ride at DP a lot, since its only about 30 minutes from home (I'm actually going this weekend). It is a very cool place, but...
I ride at DP a lot, since its only about 30 minutes from home (I'm actually going this weekend). It is a very cool place, but not hard-core moto. The "Bomber" track is their flagship, and they usually do a good job keep it prepped. I've been really impressed this year with the attention they've paid to their other tracks. If you follow them on Twitter, they usually will keep you posted as to what tracks get prep and when. Tons of trails to ride, and very beginner-friendly. The pro shop is really cool and they have surprisingly competitive pricing. The restaurant is not bad, just don't go on Sunday afternoon. If you're a good rider, I'd stay on the Bomber and the SX track. There are other tracks scattered around the property, but they're for spodes like me. As steveada pointed out, they typically have some kind of entertainment on Saturday nights.

Now the bad:
The dirt is Georgia red clay. It gets hard, really hard. If you're lucky, you'll get there after its rained a couple of days and you'll get that good, tacky kinda clay, not the asphalt kind.

The place is ate up with SxS's and quads. I don't have an aversion to either, except they are allowed almost everywhere the bikes are, with a few exceptions. They make the clay even harder, if that's possible.

Be careful on the trails. While they are all one-way, I've had several near-misses with wrong way riders. Mostly kids. We had some guys parked next to us last spring that were involved in a huge pile-up because a SxS stopped in a blind (high speed) corner. The result was a hospital visit and two totally trashed bikes.

Just keep your expectations in check and you'll have a good time. Like I said, its not hard-core moto and they try to appeal to a wide variety of riders, so they do a lot of things good, but nothing great. Hell, they were having a rally car race there a couple of weeks ago. If it were just you and your buddy's, I'd offer another suggestion, but since you have your lady with you, I'd definitely recommend.
DoctorJD, I know you posted this years ago, so maybe you'll see my reply or maybe not, but what other suggestion did you have for a facility that offers both MX and trails? We've been to Durhamtown so many times that we're looking for something new. Highland Park looks decent. Any others I should look at?
DoctorJD
5/4/2018 7:18am
DoctorJD wrote:
I ride at DP a lot, since its only about 30 minutes from home (I'm actually going this weekend). It is a very cool place, but...

Now the bad:

Kanewel433 wrote:
DoctorJD, I know you posted this years ago, so maybe you'll see my reply or maybe not, but what other suggestion did you have for a...
DoctorJD, I know you posted this years ago, so maybe you'll see my reply or maybe not, but what other suggestion did you have for a facility that offers both MX and trails? We've been to Durhamtown so many times that we're looking for something new. Highland Park looks decent. Any others I should look at?
I've never been to Highland Park but I have a lot of friends who have. As they tell me, their trails are great and the MX tracks are okay. I think they have 3 MX tracks, maybe 4. Bear in mind that the people who said that the MX trails were "okay" were a bunch of go-fast teenage kids. Maybe someone else can chime-in and be a little more helpful with reviews from HP.

I don't know of any other facilities that offer a mix of trails and tracks. If you just want to do MX, you could go a couple more hours and hit Mill Creek and Monster Mountain.
jdsmooth
5/4/2018 10:37am
I'm from Georgia and grew up riding at Durhamtown. Like others said, the tracks and trails are very beginner oriented, but there are some really great woods loops, and you can string together really fun trail sections if you spend some time with the map.

I've got 5 buddies from college that I "exposed" to dirt bikes, and we went out there over Christmas break. They all rented crf230s, and while the mechanics in the rental area weren't the most knowledgeable, they were kind. It's a fun experience!
snydes
5/4/2018 10:54am
Durhamtown is currently my favorite place to ride. I’d recommend staying away during the weekends. I’ve also been to Highland Park, which is a great place also, it isn’t the operation the Durhamtown is, but its still really good and isn’t as busy.

As far as the “cabins” go at Durhamtown (if you are looking to rent one)... it really depends on which one because it’s sort of a collection of cabins, old trailers and RV’s, so the review are all over the place.
Jharper
5/4/2018 11:04am
I lived at and worked at Durhamtown for over a decade, so I'm a little partial.

Over the years the place has changed quite a bit, but anyone with a family of riders is sure to love it. To the true moto enthusiast, most of the tracks may be a little lackluster. There is the bomber track and the arenacross track that has some more technical and or bigger stuff.

If you're planning a trip, you definitely want to stay at Durhamtown for the atmosphere and facilities. Ride DP for a couple of days. Maybe trails with family or some of the more technical tracks. Then if you're a a hardcore moto bro, load up and ride aonia pass motocross that's about a 20 minute drive from Durhamtown. That's a trip that's always worth doing. Of course the downside is the dirt ( to some) it's really hard packed so there's typically no ruts, and it's hell on tires, but the jump faces keep their shape a hell of a lot longer than they do down here in florida. The problem is that without just the right amount of rain, you can't maintain that soil. Luckily, the bomber has a mixture of clay and sand etc. so it stays fairly good and rideable.

There's no other place like Durhamtown that I've ever been. Highland Park is a far stretch comparatively, but their trails are substantially more technical. I will say, HP did let me ride for free the couple of times I visited and I appreciate that very much. There are definitely some great people there and it's a good time, it's just not the same to me. I'd liken it to comparing a crf 50 to a chinese 50 that looks the same on the outside.

I think most of the naysayers are spoiled by having Durhamtown there to ride any time they please and/or hardcore moto guys that prefer to more technical. If you're a B or C rider you'll have a blast. If you're an A rider or better, check out Aonia and Durhamtown.
5/4/2018 2:45pm
Quads and side by sides have destroyed D-town as far as I'm concerned. I realize they bring in revenue but at what cost to the facility? HP is much more bike friendly and tolerates 4 wheelers only on specific trails. No track use for the quad goons.
SamTimo001
5/13/2020 9:29am
Quads and side by sides have destroyed D-town as far as I'm concerned. I realize they bring in revenue but at what cost to the facility...
Quads and side by sides have destroyed D-town as far as I'm concerned. I realize they bring in revenue but at what cost to the facility? HP is much more bike friendly and tolerates 4 wheelers only on specific trails. No track use for the quad goons.
I went there last week, it’s ain’t that bad honestly. Actually made a YouTube if you guys trying to see how it is there. Here’s the link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VdaQIy3Hitc&t=6s
kkawboy14
5/13/2020 10:47am
Quads and side by sides have destroyed D-town as far as I'm concerned. I realize they bring in revenue but at what cost to the facility...
SamTimo001 wrote:
I went there last week, it’s ain’t that bad honestly. Actually made a YouTube if you guys trying to see how it is there. Here’s the...
I went there last week, it’s ain’t that bad honestly. Actually made a YouTube if you guys trying to see how it is there. Here’s the link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VdaQIy3Hitc&t=6s
Good video! Thanks for sharing it!
navalseabee
5/13/2020 12:09pm
My .02; If you are looking for trails Highland Park is far better, if you are looking for straight MX head south a bit to Monster Mountain. The main bomber track at DT can be excellent or trash just depends, it you catch that place on a rainy weekend forget about it.
motokawi818
5/13/2020 12:27pm
SamTimo001 wrote:
I went there last week, it’s ain’t that bad honestly. Actually made a YouTube if you guys trying to see how it is there. Here’s the...
This made me want to go even less, if I wanted to ride on blue-groove I'd get into supermoto.
5/14/2020 5:52am
This made me want to go even less, if I wanted to ride on blue-groove I'd get into supermoto.
Looks like an orange concrete park.
dow516
5/14/2020 6:12am
Put new tires on when you show up, throw them in the trash on the way out. The last day of a 3 day riding trip at Durhamtown, I shattered my talus on a little double on the bomber track. It was right out of a hard slick corner, 450 2nd gear seat bounce, round knobs from riding on pavement for 2 days, back end slid around off the face, suspension rebounded, buck city, I landed feet first into the landing. It’s hard and slick, just keep that in mind
ElliotB16
5/14/2020 7:34am
The bomber track is pretty fun. There are 3-4 smaller mx tracks that are so so. Straight rhythm is a fun little track. Trails weren’t for me. AX was a legit track, not tamed down at all. It’s fun if you have kids with you. They have 2 kid specific tracks.

Post a reply to: Anyone ride at Durhamtown?

The Latest