Anyone heard anything on this?

jboyd691
3/18/2017 9:40pm
I was at the intersection and saw it happen, just wondering if they have charged the officer or not?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wsoctv.relaymedia.com/amp/news/local/gbi-p…
|
omalley
3/19/2017 6:48am
I'm not up on all the details of the shooting incident, so I am not in a position to analyze that one. I did read the court case linked above. Here's my thoughts (which run on the assumption that the court decision linked above are the accepted facts).

1) It appears that this particular officer has a complex with "contempt of cop." This refers to someone who cannot let an affront to their authority roll off their back (see Cartman from South Park-"respect mah athoritah..) most new officers have a bit of this, unfortunately, some never grow out of it. With most, it only rises to the level of a verbal exchange and colorful language (unprofessional, but not a civil rights issue). Those who lose their bearing like this guy are the ones that need to be weeded out of the profession. Incidentally, there are offenses/actions by suspects that require the use of whatever force is necessary to take them into custody. Walking in the street, then a verbal exchange, do not justify warrantless entry and use of force in any scenario I can think of.

2) This officer's justifications for his actions regarding the "facts" appear to be all over the map and contradictory. It reeks only a guy who lost his cool, then calmed down by report-writing time and realized he screwed the pooch. The only thing he could do was to try to cover all the bases. Again, folks like this need to be weeded out. If you don't have integrity in law enforcement you have nothing.

3) I would be curious to know what, if anything, the department has done with this guy. Regardless of how the shooting incident plays out, this guy's past issue(s) is/are going to be brought into the fold on it, at a minimum when/if he gets sued in civil court. The department may or may not fare so well, either if it can be shown that they should've terminated him but didn't following the other case, especially if he's stepped on his "you know what" since.

The Shop

APLMAN99
3/19/2017 8:36am
The driver of the van describes a bullet entering from the side/back of his arm, through his chest, then breaking the passenger window. If true, it'd be hard to say that that shot itself was purely defensive.

The driver's name is Noel Hall from Morgantown NC. His claim is that he had credentials to go to another parking lot because his son was competing. I'm assuming that the son is Michael Hall? I had a quick look and didn't see him on the SX entry lists so perhaps he'd raced AX the night before.

Looks like the driver was a top ten LL C class finisher in 1998 and Michael raced LLs several times, as recently as 2013.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
262nd
3/20/2017 6:12am
^^Michael Hall tried, but didn't qualify in the AX Lites class on Friday.
borg
3/20/2017 7:41am
Seems like it hinges on whether Hall was being a full on asshole or just insubordinate. He admits that he ignored the traffic officers commands but did he actually drive at him or not? Hall says Cadeau would not acknowledge his pass to the pit area where he wanted to go so he went in that direction anyway.

Hall said he and his family were driving to the designated pit area for racers when he encountered Atlanta police Sgt. Mathieu Cadeau at the corner of Ivan Allen Boulevard and Northside Drive.

“He wouldn't look at my pass to get back into the pits. So I made a sharp right and drove around him. He pulled a gun and fired at me and shot me," Hall told Jaquez.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Cadeau was conducting traffic and ordered Hall to go in one direction, but Hall reportedly wanted to go another direction.

Investigators also noted that Hall then drove his Ford 350 van toward the officer, at which point the officer opened fire.

“I never threatened him, I never drove in his direction,” Hall said.

Hopefully there will be some video from a nearby source. If Cadeau had to take evasive action to avoid being hit then Hall got what he deserved. If Cadeau simply shot him for disobeying his command then Cadeau deserves prison time.
APLMAN99
3/20/2017 10:15am
borg wrote:
Seems like it hinges on whether Hall was being a full on asshole or just insubordinate. He admits that he ignored the traffic officers commands but...
Seems like it hinges on whether Hall was being a full on asshole or just insubordinate. He admits that he ignored the traffic officers commands but did he actually drive at him or not? Hall says Cadeau would not acknowledge his pass to the pit area where he wanted to go so he went in that direction anyway.

Hall said he and his family were driving to the designated pit area for racers when he encountered Atlanta police Sgt. Mathieu Cadeau at the corner of Ivan Allen Boulevard and Northside Drive.

“He wouldn't look at my pass to get back into the pits. So I made a sharp right and drove around him. He pulled a gun and fired at me and shot me," Hall told Jaquez.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Cadeau was conducting traffic and ordered Hall to go in one direction, but Hall reportedly wanted to go another direction.

Investigators also noted that Hall then drove his Ford 350 van toward the officer, at which point the officer opened fire.

Hopefully there will be some video from a nearby source. If Cadeau had to take evasive action to avoid being hit then Hall got what he deserved. If Cadeau simply shot him for disobeying his command then Cadeau deserves prison time.
Yep, being an asshole shouldn't be a capital offense. If the shots fired came from the side, then it'd be hard to justify "imminent danger" that required lethal force.

The driver definitely sounds like a jerk, but we have to put up with plenty of jerks in our daily life without shooting them. Heck, we are all jerks enough to someone each week that we are fortunate that it isn't a capital offense ourselves!!!!
IWreckALot
3/20/2017 11:50am
borg wrote:
Seems like it hinges on whether Hall was being a full on asshole or just insubordinate. He admits that he ignored the traffic officers commands but...

APLMAN99 wrote:
Yep, being an asshole shouldn't be a capital offense. If the shots fired came from the side, then it'd be hard to justify "imminent danger" that...
Yep, being an asshole shouldn't be a capital offense. If the shots fired came from the side, then it'd be hard to justify "imminent danger" that required lethal force.

The driver definitely sounds like a jerk, but we have to put up with plenty of jerks in our daily life without shooting them. Heck, we are all jerks enough to someone each week that we are fortunate that it isn't a capital offense ourselves!!!!
Does the fact that one shot was fired sound odd to you? I figured if you were going to open fire, you had already evaluated the risk of a stray, and also, most of the police shootings are generally a good number of shots like 5 or 6. I don't know why one shot just sounds kinda stray to me. Kinda like the officer had some hesitation or just fired off a desk pop or something.
APLMAN99
3/20/2017 12:28pm
borg wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:
Yep, being an asshole shouldn't be a capital offense. If the shots fired came from the side, then it'd be hard to justify "imminent danger" that...

IWreckALot wrote:
Does the fact that one shot was fired sound odd to you? I figured if you were going to open fire, you had already evaluated the...
Does the fact that one shot was fired sound odd to you? I figured if you were going to open fire, you had already evaluated the risk of a stray, and also, most of the police shootings are generally a good number of shots like 5 or 6. I don't know why one shot just sounds kinda stray to me. Kinda like the officer had some hesitation or just fired off a desk pop or something.
Any shots seem odd to me, especially when it's not from directly in front of the van.

The only way it would seem to make sense to me is if there were some sort of alert out on a similar van in which the occupants were considered armed and a threat to their surroundings in some way.

This officer has had numerous complaints of excessive force it's been reported, though most of them have ended in his exoneration. It almost sounds like a pattern of sorts, and it adds credence to the "thin blue line" justice that so many complain about.

If it is anything close to the way it sounds, it's one of those things that helps give the good, decent law enforcement officers a bad name.
hvaughn88
3/20/2017 12:33pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Does the fact that one shot was fired sound odd to you? I figured if you were going to open fire, you had already evaluated the...
hahaha, desk pop! Yes! I laughed my ass off the first time I watched that scene.
JW381
3/20/2017 12:38pm
IWreckALot wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
hahaha, desk pop! Yes! I laughed my ass off the first time I watched that scene.
Fuckin great movie
hvaughn88
3/20/2017 12:43pm
IWreckALot wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
JW381 wrote:
Fuckin great movie
Absolutely. So many one-liners. I still get some laughing fits every time I catch it on. My wife makes fun of me because when I think something is funny I turn into a giggling little girl. I mean I will laugh uncontrollably for minutes on end.
JW381
3/20/2017 12:53pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
JW381 wrote:
Fuckin great movie
hvaughn88 wrote:
Absolutely. So many one-liners. I still get some laughing fits every time I catch it on. My wife makes fun of me because when I think...
Absolutely. So many one-liners. I still get some laughing fits every time I catch it on. My wife makes fun of me because when I think something is funny I turn into a giggling little girl. I mean I will laugh uncontrollably for minutes on end.
We should call ourselves the Febreze Brothers

Post a reply to: Anyone heard anything on this?

The Latest