Anyone had shoulder surgery?

TSRmxer355
8/5/2009 1:36pm
I had surgery on my shoulder to repair a torn labrum and I re-dislocated it exactly one year after surgery. Went back for another MRI and...
I had surgery on my shoulder to repair a torn labrum and I re-dislocated it exactly one year after surgery. Went back for another MRI and the doctor said nothing was torn. Has anyone else had this surgery? Is this normal? I love riding and wish I could but just normal riding makes my shoulder feel unstable.
I had a bankart repair as well and dislocated it a little over a year after.

Was really really shitty especially after all of the recovery and PT I did after the surgery. Also, the thing was so tight from the surgery it didn't sublux - it was completely out for 1+ hours. Was much worse than when I used to dislocate prior to my surgery. I thought for sure I was screwed.

Went to see the doc the next day and after I had the MRI told me there was no tear. Labrum all good! Could not believe it!

I did tear some nerves though and that is taking a while to come back. My tricep is still a little atrophied and I dislocated it in November '08.

I would recommend hitting the gym and getting your shoulders stronger though. Has worked for me so far...
ProMed
8/5/2009 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:21am
I had surgery on my shoulder to repair a torn labrum and I re-dislocated it exactly one year after surgery. Went back for another MRI and...
I had surgery on my shoulder to repair a torn labrum and I re-dislocated it exactly one year after surgery. Went back for another MRI and the doctor said nothing was torn. Has anyone else had this surgery? Is this normal? I love riding and wish I could but just normal riding makes my shoulder feel unstable.
Good info here. There is no doubt that the rehab is as much or often times more important than the actual repair. This isn't directed to anyone on this board but, everyone claims to have done the full rehab, but most of time that simply isn't true. They go to see the physical therapist and even if they make all their appts, very few keep up with their training at home.

When the shoulder doesn't heal up properly, who is the first person they blame? Yep, the doc.

This is only based on my first hand experiences of being in the room during both the original surgery and the following revision repair for many patients. Since I cover so many different surgeons, very often I am there with there with both cases of a patient who is having their revision done by a different surgeon than whomever did the original repair. It isn't very often that the new doc finds the revision is needed for a faulty repair by the original doc.

The most common people needing revisions are elderly or older women with brittle bones where a screw pulls out at no fault of their own and young/active 15-35 year old men who blew off the PT and/or ignored the usage restrictions & time lines.
russerbe
8/6/2009 6:13am
Ha, that won't be an option for me. My wife is a rockstar physical therapist with a PhD. She doesn't let me slack at all. I do PT every night with the bands while we watch TV. I joined the gym here last week as well. I've done the eliptical machine all week. That gets me some good cardio and movement of my arm with just a hint of resistance. I want my shoulder to heal properly just as she does. I won't take my mobility for granted again.
Xracerdone
11/20/2014 6:34am
i am day after my laterjet. it hurts, it hurts way worse than my labrum, rotator surgery did. Anyone tell me how long the heavy pain lasted?

The Shop

hvaughn88
11/20/2014 6:41am
Xracerdone wrote:
i am day after my laterjet. it hurts, it hurts way worse than my labrum, rotator surgery did. Anyone tell me how long the heavy pain...
i am day after my laterjet. it hurts, it hurts way worse than my labrum, rotator surgery did. Anyone tell me how long the heavy pain lasted?
I didn't have latarjet. But I had a plate and screws put in mine for AC joint. It hurt. Not trying to be cocky, but I'm a pretty tough guy and don't usually let anything keep me down or consider things to be too bad. It hurt. No way around it. It hurt for a few days pretty bad. The worst part is I was grumpy, too because there is no way to get good sleep with a shoulder surgery. There's just no way to get comfortable. It will get better, and when the pain started to subside it happened pretty rapidly for me. Just take it easy and watch as many movies as you can, haha. I can't remember how many times I watched Wyatt Earp.
wanglimp
11/20/2014 8:47am
I hate to steal any thunder here, but I also have a shoulder surgery question.

I had a SLAP tear repaired in May and it’s been great so far, relatively no pain at all even through physical therapy. I have full range of motion back and I have started to get back into my regular exercises with no pain. Last couple days however the temp had dropped a lot and I am starting to feel a decent amount of pain. My question is; has anyone noticed any pain associated with temp changes? If not I am wondering if I have something else going on.
Thelen20
11/20/2014 9:59am
Xracerdone wrote:
i am day after my laterjet. it hurts, it hurts way worse than my labrum, rotator surgery did. Anyone tell me how long the heavy pain...
I am 13 months out of my open laterjet reconstruction procedure. It hurt like heck the first 3 days, i hate taking pain pills, but once my body started to tremble from the pain i had no choice. Took 4 pills all together, mostly so i could sleep at night. Sitting in the lazyboy with an extra pillow under my sling/pillow contraption gave me the most comfortable position. Good luck man!

Also at this point i am doing great! It is a great procedure to have done when you have overcome multiple bankhart repairs and are suffering significant bone loss. Doc said i was missing 25% of my glenoid, no wonder the shoulder wouldn't stay in!
Thelen20
11/20/2014 10:05am
Ya man, if you have much hardware in there you now have a barometer in your shoulder! Lol! I had an achey day last week the day before we had a cold front come through. Just part of the deal
Thelen20
11/20/2014 11:40am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2014 11:47am
Couple of my one year post op xrays

SweetDaddy
11/20/2014 11:41am
Had torn labrum surgery in 09. Dr diagnosed it by having me hold my arm out straight to my side and had me lift it while he applied resistance. Even with an MRI my Dr didn't actually know what the problem was until surgery. Been 5 yrs now with no pain. Shoulder is fine but not as good as new.
JW381
11/20/2014 12:45pm
SweetDaddy wrote:
Had torn labrum surgery in 09. Dr diagnosed it by having me hold my arm out straight to my side and had me lift it while...
Had torn labrum surgery in 09. Dr diagnosed it by having me hold my arm out straight to my side and had me lift it while he applied resistance. Even with an MRI my Dr didn't actually know what the problem was until surgery. Been 5 yrs now with no pain. Shoulder is fine but not as good as new.
I haven't read the whole thread, but this is pretty much my story. I had surgery to correct a torn labrum in '07. I can't say mine is "fine with no pain", but it stays put. Lifting weights is a chore because my left and right sides are completely uneven. It's actually a pretty weird feeling having each side perform and move differently while doing a lift or exercise.
SweetDaddy
11/20/2014 12:58pm
SweetDaddy wrote:
Had torn labrum surgery in 09. Dr diagnosed it by having me hold my arm out straight to my side and had me lift it while...
JW381 wrote:
I haven't read the whole thread, but this is pretty much my story. I had surgery to correct a torn labrum in '07. I can't say...
I haven't read the whole thread, but this is pretty much my story. I had surgery to correct a torn labrum in '07. I can't say mine is "fine with no pain", but it stays put. Lifting weights is a chore because my left and right sides are completely uneven. It's actually a pretty weird feeling having each side perform and move differently while doing a lift or exercise.
Before my surgery my shoulder were completely uneven and now they are almost even.
Xracerdone
12/30/2014 8:29am
I don't know if I did something or if it's because it's 3 degrees today but I am wincing in pain with my shoulder today. Figured at 6 weeks and therapy weekly it would be settled down, but it flippin hurts bad! All the way through my collarbone & into my neck
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
12/30/2014 10:06am
GuyB wrote:
I had a torn labrum as well, and the doc tightened the heck out of it. I haven't had it redislocate, or any issues with it...
I had a torn labrum as well, and the doc tightened the heck out of it. I haven't had it redislocate, or any issues with it. Getting it loosened up afterwards was rough, though.
This ^^^

I tore my Labrum and bicep tendon off the bone. 6 anchors and 5 months off the bike. PT was painful, to say the least, but I gave it 100% effort and my shoulder is like new. Now the other shoulder is acting up, so I'm sure within a couple years, I'm going to have to get it done as well.... Having the right Physical Therapist is so important.
Xracerdone
12/30/2014 10:13am
I don't have a labrum anymore, nothing to work with so doc removed it. Said I will probably suffer bad arthritis when I am older
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
12/30/2014 10:35am
Xracerdone wrote:
I don't have a labrum anymore, nothing to work with so doc removed it. Said I will probably suffer bad arthritis when I am older
Woohoo
From what I know (not much, too be honest), I thought the Labrum was the cushion between the bones. Does that mean you are bone to bone on your shoulder ? Mine was torn off the bone for a few months, before I had surgery, I was told that if I had waited too much longer, it would destroyed the labrum. (Like yours ?) I guess the Bicep tendon tearing off, kinda saved my Labrum... I would've put off that surgery another year or more, as I was still able to rid without too much pain. I just couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder height. Zero strength, but not too mch pain. All in all, I'm so glad I had it repaired, I can actually sleep thru the night now.

Yeah... I would imagine you could end up with some hardware down the road
Xracerdone
12/30/2014 11:06am
Xracerdone wrote:
langhammx wrote:
:woohoo: From what I know (not much, too be honest), I thought the Labrum was the cushion between the bones. Does that mean you are bone...
Woohoo
From what I know (not much, too be honest), I thought the Labrum was the cushion between the bones. Does that mean you are bone to bone on your shoulder ? Mine was torn off the bone for a few months, before I had surgery, I was told that if I had waited too much longer, it would destroyed the labrum. (Like yours ?) I guess the Bicep tendon tearing off, kinda saved my Labrum... I would've put off that surgery another year or more, as I was still able to rid without too much pain. I just couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder height. Zero strength, but not too mch pain. All in all, I'm so glad I had it repaired, I can actually sleep thru the night now.

Yeah... I would imagine you could end up with some hardware down the road
Oh I've got hardware. 3 years ago had rotator, labrum repaired & tightened, bicep tendon, chest tendon, supraspinatus repaired. Then 2 years later it dislocated wakeboarding & started coming out all the time. Now I have a piece of bone anchored into my scapula to keep the arm from dislocating. I got confused on the labrum thing too as I thought it encapsulated the shoulder muscles but it is inside the joint. Not sure if that means bone on bone or if there is anything else in the joint. Doctor never really answers my questions clearly. Look up Latarjet if you have a chance, explains the bone moving process for frequent discloations.

I'm still struggling with sleeping, I roll over on my injured shoulder & I'm up. Today it is killing me, I can hardly move without wincing in pain. Took 2 oxy's & I'm still suffering
danman
12/30/2014 11:40am
I had TWO SLAP procedures done in 9 months. The first one, my labrum was about 75% torn. Doc said he put it all back together and everything would be great. I went through rehab and everything was really good, then one day it popped while bowling. Went back and the doc wouldn't admit there was anything wrong. He kept saying I just tore some scar tissue and I asked him to just scope it to see if it had broke loose. He wouldn't do it. Instead, he kept injecting me with Cortisone. 2 shots in 2 months, neither did anything. He referred me to another doc, who put another Cortisone shot in, which took the pain away totally, so he knew another surgery was required.
This time the labrum was 95% off the bone and one of my bicep tendons had separated and couldn't be reattached. My shoulder is noticeable weaker, even after rehab. I wanted to bitch slap the first doctor for being an arrogant a-hole, but I just let it go because I should have known better than to go full out after the green light on the first surgery.
Xracerdone
1/13/2015 7:03am
Shitty news, xray shows one of the screws backing itself out, guy didn't use Locktite & a lock washer I guess. Told me to increase calcium intake, stop therapy & hope by next month it has stopped moving & calcified more or he is going to have to go back in & remove the screw. So bummed!
davistld01
1/13/2015 7:44am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2015 7:45am
Nothing at all compared to some of you guys but have dislocated both shoulders more than once, labrum repair (still messed up...but better than it was. Got a little hardware there.), and my right shoulder can still pop out if I bump it or fall on it the right way. I haven't developed any arthritis yet (at 56 a blessing) but I can almost bet on it coming.
mmain62
1/13/2015 7:50am
GuyB wrote:
I had a torn labrum as well, and the doc tightened the heck out of it. I haven't had it redislocate, or any issues with it...
I had a torn labrum as well, and the doc tightened the heck out of it. I haven't had it redislocate, or any issues with it. Getting it loosened up afterwards was rough, though.
I had mine redone in 07. they reshaped the bones and pulled it tight pinned it and all that i notice now is that it gets sore faster during certain work outs but other than that its good. Rehab on it sucked having someone push and pull it to loosen it up. took 4 months to get back on a bike 2 weeks back broke my opposite collarbone ha it was a rough year.
lumpy790
1/13/2015 8:16am
Had the old school Bristow repair. Never had a problem again.
austin888_99
1/13/2015 9:59am
WORCSRacer wrote:
Maybe nothings torn.... Did he do an MRI or a MRI with Contrast? A standard MRI is not very accurate in diagnosing this sort of injury.
That's interesting. What's the contrast really for? The doc ordered it for me but mri team said I'm not iv drug user n no recent surgery so it's just for looking for infection. Maybe that's cuz it's my neck not shoulder but the emg is what let them see my nerve issue
TeamGreen
1/13/2015 10:12am
Go see a Re-Hab Therapist specializing in Shoulder Injuries.
mxknowitall
1/13/2015 12:05pm
Renner153 wrote:
maybe you should stop being a sissy about it and get back on the bike IMO
Yea...what he said! ^
hellion
1/13/2015 4:23pm
I was getting really discouraged reading through this thread coming off my own shoulder surgery in September. But it's good to see that a few of you have had good post op success. Mine is feeling good now (three anchors and a bunch of rope in there) and though I've yet been cleared to ride it feels like I could. I'll wait until I get the official OK, so hopefully around April.
Xracerdone
1/13/2015 5:55pm
hellion wrote:
I was getting really discouraged reading through this thread coming off my own shoulder surgery in September. But it's good to see that a few of...
I was getting really discouraged reading through this thread coming off my own shoulder surgery in September. But it's good to see that a few of you have had good post op success. Mine is feeling good now (three anchors and a bunch of rope in there) and though I've yet been cleared to ride it feels like I could. I'll wait until I get the official OK, so hopefully around April.
Man just remember when you do get back to riding, it will injure easily. Glad you're doing okay! I am dreading having to back under the knife if this screw doesn't settle
Thelen20
1/13/2015 6:51pm
Xracerdone wrote:
Shitty news, xray shows one of the screws backing itself out, guy didn't use Locktite & a lock washer I guess. Told me to increase calcium...
Shitty news, xray shows one of the screws backing itself out, guy didn't use Locktite & a lock washer I guess. Told me to increase calcium intake, stop therapy & hope by next month it has stopped moving & calcified more or he is going to have to go back in & remove the screw. So bummed!
Man! That is some gnarly bad news! Praying that everything works out for you!
holeshot413
Fantasy
1759th
1/13/2015 7:52pm
This is a shoulder injury! Man UP josh!!
This is a shoulder injury!

Man UP josh!!

hurt
That is almost a exact repeat of what I had done to my shoulder in 2008, I wish I had the pics. I had to have a mumford, capsulloragraphy, not sure if I spelled that right and I tore my Auxiliary nerve, the one that lets you lift your arm up above your head. I was out of racing for 2 years. The hardest part was waiting for the nerve to regenerate and let me move my arm kinda normal. I rehabbed it like crazy it still feels like junk but has not dislocated again, I wear an EVS shoulder brace and if anything it is NOT as sore AFTER racing.

Post a reply to: Anyone had shoulder surgery?

The Latest