Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 9:50am
I know I am. Check out this article in the new MXGP magazine
|
Paul333
7/16/2014 6:38pm
Who isn't a Johnny O' fan?
Sparkey
7/16/2014 6:40pm
My first encounter with Johnny was in 1981. It was my first or second trip to indian dunes and they were running a GP. I had a photo class in high school and was shooting pictures of the jumps on the national track near the sand wash. This guy comes over the double and I am taking pictures of his drain plug. He saw me taking pictures that day and for the remaining laps, he wold lay it flat and give me the peace sign. Can you guess how it was?? Sometime during college, my mom tossed out my photo collection that had those in it. Some other stuff that got tossed was MX Keid, Mouse and that whole era on 80's from the local so cal scene. Anyway, we also used to see Johnny and Baily training on their road bikes during the week. It was pretty cool to be able see your mx hero's during the week training around town.

The Shop

Coyote
7/16/2014 7:29pm
Paul333 wrote:
oilman400 wrote:
x2
great guy, one of the best ever for sure imo!! got to know him pretty well when i was at suzuki as his manager was al baker and al and i worked together on the DR 350 bike. al's XR experience with honda was invaluable when it came to working on the DR line and had a great time with him in Japan and durability testing the DR series in Hesperia and Ridgecrest. al used to get handguns and shotguns with all kinds of ammo for the japanese engineers who would proceed to pose for photo options for days...lol...lots of laughs. al guided johnny after into all kinds of real estate investments and definitely had one of the trickest 125 Mugen Honda i'd ever seen...thing was a rocket
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
7/16/2014 7:59pm
Johnny lived with Donnie Hansen, 2 blocks from my house from 81-84. Chuck sun would come stay with them and they would ride in the hills behind my house. I am a few years younger and Johnny O' was my idol, way before they moved in around the corner. I remember Johnny racing the 100 expert class, then the Mugen... Back when Erik Kehoe was "the guy" to beat in the 80 expert and Mouse McCoy was killing the 60 class. Many Friday night AME races @ Indian Dunes back then.... Good times. The course/track they "burned in" into the valleys was so gnarly, most of us kids couldn't even ride it. Lots of fire road/cliff jumps and big uphill and downhills throughout the place.
machine
7/16/2014 8:00pm
He's an old school fitness geek...Smile
bvm111
7/16/2014 8:40pm
h&m_cycle wrote:
loved that mugen & the white shit
I still wear mostly white gear both Moto and Down Hill MTB... everyone thinks I'm crazy!
7/16/2014 9:26pm
Paul333 wrote:
Loved his style and admired what he did at the MXDN in '86, but I wasn't a fan of his until 1990. Anyone who wasn't riding a green bike in the 80's was the enemy! Smile
newmann
7/16/2014 9:26pm
Johnny O fan? Who, me? The guy who named his cat Johnny O?

corsair
7/16/2014 9:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2014 9:39pm
Of all the heroes and icons in our sport, no one, but no one, looked better on a bike than O'Mara. When I rode, I tried to make myself look like the O'Show. Of course it was an epic FAILURE, which I knew even then, but that sure didn't stop my imagination, and my striving..,,,
The Rock
7/18/2014 9:39am
langhammx wrote:
Johnny lived with Donnie Hansen, 2 blocks from my house from 81-84. Chuck sun would come stay with them and they would ride in the hills...
Johnny lived with Donnie Hansen, 2 blocks from my house from 81-84. Chuck sun would come stay with them and they would ride in the hills behind my house. I am a few years younger and Johnny O' was my idol, way before they moved in around the corner. I remember Johnny racing the 100 expert class, then the Mugen... Back when Erik Kehoe was "the guy" to beat in the 80 expert and Mouse McCoy was killing the 60 class. Many Friday night AME races @ Indian Dunes back then.... Good times. The course/track they "burned in" into the valleys was so gnarly, most of us kids couldn't even ride it. Lots of fire road/cliff jumps and big uphill and downhills throughout the place.
Thanks for sharing that. Very cool.
wavslide
7/19/2014 8:54am
Sparkey wrote:
My first encounter with Johnny was in 1981. It was my first or second trip to indian dunes and they were running a GP. I had...
My first encounter with Johnny was in 1981. It was my first or second trip to indian dunes and they were running a GP. I had a photo class in high school and was shooting pictures of the jumps on the national track near the sand wash. This guy comes over the double and I am taking pictures of his drain plug. He saw me taking pictures that day and for the remaining laps, he wold lay it flat and give me the peace sign. Can you guess how it was?? Sometime during college, my mom tossed out my photo collection that had those in it. Some other stuff that got tossed was MX Keid, Mouse and that whole era on 80's from the local so cal scene. Anyway, we also used to see Johnny and Baily training on their road bikes during the week. It was pretty cool to be able see your mx hero's during the week training around town.
Oh yeah! I remember seeing him at Indian Dunes riding for Malcolm Smith on an RM 125 in the pro class. He would go past the start, hit the U-turn and pre-jump the wash side into the next left U-turn. I was in intermediates and tried to do it and wound clipping a tree. The next year (1980) he was on the Mugen Honda and just flying. I remember his only close competition was Mike Brown, who never beat him.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
7/19/2014 9:50am
Huge O'show fan here. These pups hang in my garage.

Post a reply to: Anyone else an O Show fan?

The Latest