Anyone blowing out their damaged pipes?

3D
With having two kids that do a ton of woods riding and smashing pipes, I was wondering if anyone did there own repairs and how they do it. Any pictures of your rig? How much air pressure? Would map gas be hot enough? Any recommendations would be great.
|
11/4/2016 10:52am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 10:53am
I did it with expandable freeze plugs from an auto store. first try was propane torch and it was not hot enough. acetylene is the way to go. not sure MAP will get hot enough.

mx621
11/4/2016 11:02am
I try not to exceed 15psi max I usually start out at 10-12psi. A larger size dent will need a good amount of heat. I use a acetylene torch to do mine. Always had good luck. I did a few fmf gnarly pipes for a friend who off roads and they are deff thicker gauge metal and require even more heat. Kind of a gamble at first cause the pipe will need to be cherry red/orange hot. I've never split/burst a pipe doing it yet.
Skidaddle
11/4/2016 11:11am
I used to do this. Tried Freezing, air heat etc.

I ended up buying a 2nd pipe and send the other to piperepair.com

No shit, I think it just takes more air pressure than I have.
My compressor only goes to 150Lbs. Just doesnt seem enough.

Plus, Ive gotten these things cherry red and maybe on a thin race pipe they fix easier, but on a thicker pipes, it seems easier to just cut and replace a section. Im just not a pretty welder. Plus getting the metal etc etc. Headache.

Daniel816
11/4/2016 11:16am
I've never done it the heat way but in the past for two different pipes I have froze them. I use a shop rag and ziploc bag and some electrical tape to plug the head side. Next I fill it full of water making sure no air gets trapped anywhere, plug off the other side and put it in the freezer. It does take awhile and after about two hours you have to add a little more water for what the rags soak up but I am 2-0 using this method to fix pipes.

I also just saw this on Facebook.. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F7o-MSOES1M

The Shop

gamakona
11/4/2016 11:17am
I repair pipes all the time, I use about 90 psi and a Map torch, works perfect as long as you have no cracks in the pipe.
MR. X
11/4/2016 11:18am
I did one with zero knowledge of what I was doing. I turned some plastic plugs and hammered them in ,one I drilled and tapped for an air fitting ,I set the regulator to about 20 psi . Used a oxy/acetylene torch and slowly heated it ,it just slowly came out . Super easy.
rubarb
11/4/2016 11:26am Edited Date/Time 11/4/2016 11:31am
On the thumper, not pretty or perfect. But worth saving it since the stock head pipe for my bike is manufactured by FMF. The geometry wasn't fully restored but doubt that has any appreciable effect on performance (at least not discernable by me).

Micahdogg
11/4/2016 11:37am
I've only done one pipe, made some plugs, used propane torch and aired up to 100 psi....a little over a few times. I also used a body hammer and tapped around the dent. Its a little unnerving when you have a cherry red pipe at 100 psi or more and you are smacking on the metal with a body hammer. Oh, and it worked well....couldn't pull out the creases, but got it 90% or better.

The only time I used ice, I split the pipe open and had to patch it.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/4/2016 12:01pm
Daniel816 wrote:
I've never done it the heat way but in the past for two different pipes I have froze them. I use a shop rag and ziploc...
I've never done it the heat way but in the past for two different pipes I have froze them. I use a shop rag and ziploc bag and some electrical tape to plug the head side. Next I fill it full of water making sure no air gets trapped anywhere, plug off the other side and put it in the freezer. It does take awhile and after about two hours you have to add a little more water for what the rags soak up but I am 2-0 using this method to fix pipes.

That pressure washer technique is pretty sick!
Daniel816
11/4/2016 12:18pm
Daniel816 wrote:
I've never done it the heat way but in the past for two different pipes I have froze them. I use a shop rag and ziploc...

That pressure washer technique is pretty sick!
Right!? I have a junk pipe in my garage that doesn't fit anything I have so I may try this in my next days off just to see how well it works!
Skidaddle
11/4/2016 4:43pm
How many PSI is that pressure washer? That almost looked too easy.
Bman_145
11/4/2016 5:06pm
gamakona wrote:
I repair pipes all the time, I use about 90 psi and a Map torch, works perfect as long as you have no cracks in the...
I repair pipes all the time, I use about 90 psi and a Map torch, works perfect as long as you have no cracks in the pipe.
This works well for me. On my 2 stroke pipes, I have custom plugs for both ends. One has a valve in it and I use 60psi to start, heat will make more PSI, and use a MAP torch. Circle the dent and it slowly comes out without much issue or time.

Anything too strong and you're looking at a blown seam. That sucks. Watch out of dents across welded seams, you have to more careful there not to get a pinhole leak or even worse.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
11/4/2016 5:31pm
Skidaddle wrote:
How many PSI is that pressure washer? That almost looked too easy.
He said 2100 PSI. I'm going to try it.

Post a reply to: Anyone blowing out their damaged pipes?

The Latest