Anybody snap a shot of the magical rear tire?

Hman144
Fantasy
713th
Edited Date/Time 2/19/2014 4:23pm
Much was said about James' tire selection for the main in which he manhandled a track on which many others suffered. He even said he didn't think traction was as bad as Tejas usually is.

So what did he run and what did it look like when the checkers flew?

Inquiring minds wanna know.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/18/2014 11:06am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2014 11:12am
Stewart ran MX52 in the heat and then switched to MX32 in the main.

IWreckALot
2/18/2014 11:20am Edited Date/Time 2/18/2014 11:21am
GuyB wrote:
Stewart ran MX52 in the heat and then switched to MX32 in the main. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/02/18/46113/s1200_021814dunlop.jpg[/img]

How would the 32 get better traction than the 52 in hard pack conditions?
mx317
2/18/2014 11:22am
He went from a 52 to a 32 is what he said

The Shop

nytsmaC
2/18/2014 11:37am
So they're using production tires now?
Big Lenny
2/18/2014 11:47am
GuyB wrote:
Stewart ran MX52 in the heat and then switched to MX32 in the main. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/02/18/46113/s1200_021814dunlop.jpg[/img]

Interesting...
2/18/2014 11:59am
Doesn't make much sense to me. I always thought that hard pack necessitated more contact area. Looks like James went the oposite direction.
TallonT911
2/18/2014 12:08pm
The 32 is a soft terrain tire meaning it would have a harder compound, correct? I thought you would want a softer compound, but who knows what compound the "factory" version of the tire was.
Jt$
2/18/2014 12:09pm
Kinda silly to put the production numbers on these tires but I understand the marketing side of it. They are far from production.
hvaughn88
2/18/2014 12:17pm
Jt$ wrote:
Kinda silly to put the production numbers on these tires but I understand the marketing side of it. They are far from production.
JT, gotta quick question: how often do y'all (BTO) test directly with Pirelli during the season? I was curious as to how quick of a turn around time there can be before an advantage is found during testing versus when the tire can be produced for use during the season.
JOHN CHOATE
2/18/2014 12:45pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2014 12:50pm
TallonT911 wrote:
The 32 is a soft terrain tire meaning it would have a harder compound, correct? I thought you would want a softer compound, but who knows...
The 32 is a soft terrain tire meaning it would have a harder compound, correct? I thought you would want a softer compound, but who knows what compound the "factory" version of the tire was.
Correct, a soft terrain tire has stiffer rubber compound and taller knobbies while a hard terrain tire has soft rubber compound and shorter knobbies. It doesn't make sense with JS using the 32 on a hardpacked track but who can argue with his results? Those tires used by the factory Dunlop sponsored teams are not exactly the same ones the regular customer could buy. There are many different areas where the factory guys tires may differ from an over the counter tire even though they might look the same.
Truckdriver
2/18/2014 12:47pm
They told me the 32 was an intermediate tire. And I was told the switch was for better side traction. Turning on the start straight, he was sliding huge early, was under more control during the race. Can't wait to get my first set. About 6 weeks.
The Rock
2/18/2014 12:50pm Edited Date/Time 2/18/2014 12:51pm
A Honda R and D guy told me once to soften my suspension when the track got rougher not make it stiffer. It was counter intuitive but in some cases...mainly sand tracks.....it seem like it made sense as my bike handled better. Don't know if there is a counter intuitive thing going on on the tire selection but it reminded of the soft versus stiffer advice.

Also a tire with a conventional tube won't survive a SX with five pounds of air. You'd have to be running the Nuetech TUBliss
RacerFan
2/18/2014 1:13pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
JT, gotta quick question: how often do y'all (BTO) test directly with Pirelli during the season? I was curious as to how quick of a turn...
JT, gotta quick question: how often do y'all (BTO) test directly with Pirelli during the season? I was curious as to how quick of a turn around time there can be before an advantage is found during testing versus when the tire can be produced for use during the season.
I would guess with a company the size of Pirelli would be in the 4 to 6 week range. Give or take a week but it wouldn't be much longer than that depending on how hard the pressed it.
IWreckALot
2/18/2014 1:36pm
The Rock wrote:
A Honda R and D guy told me once to soften my suspension when the track got rougher not make it stiffer. It was counter intuitive...
A Honda R and D guy told me once to soften my suspension when the track got rougher not make it stiffer. It was counter intuitive but in some cases...mainly sand tracks.....it seem like it made sense as my bike handled better. Don't know if there is a counter intuitive thing going on on the tire selection but it reminded of the soft versus stiffer advice.

Also a tire with a conventional tube won't survive a SX with five pounds of air. You'd have to be running the Nuetech TUBliss
How in the hell does a TUBliss tire hold it's bead with less amounts of air holding the bead in place? I
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/18/2014 1:41pm
IWreckALot wrote:
How in the hell does a TUBliss tire hold it's bead with less amounts of air holding the bead in place? I
It doesn't. They run tubes. Dunlop recommends12 psi. The teams sometimes vary from that.
Jt$
2/18/2014 1:42pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
JT, gotta quick question: how often do y'all (BTO) test directly with Pirelli during the season? I was curious as to how quick of a turn...
RacerFan wrote:
I would guess with a company the size of Pirelli would be in the 4 to 6 week range. Give or take a week but it...
I would guess with a company the size of Pirelli would be in the 4 to 6 week range. Give or take a week but it wouldn't be much longer than that depending on how hard the pressed it.
I have heard 6 weeks. There is quite a bit of testing done, especially when a rider of Short's caliber is involved.
Socket946
2/18/2014 1:47pm
Jt$ wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Obviously, I am not JT, and it isn't motocross...

But in motogp, Michelin was known to show up to the track with 75 different tires...and if one didn't work, a tire that was specially made would be over nighted from France to wherever the race was the next day. Literally made to the engineer's specs within minutes. Dunlop was also known to travel with a Ntec machine on the truck.
Feint
2/18/2014 2:11pm
The Rock wrote:
A Honda R and D guy told me once to soften my suspension when the track got rougher not make it stiffer. It was counter intuitive...

IWreckALot wrote:
It looks to be a very low profile high pressure tube. The tube holds the bead and protects the rim. It has a separate valve for controlling the pressure in the rest of the tire.
IceMan446
2/18/2014 2:18pm
The Rock wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:
Feint wrote:
It looks to be a very low profile high pressure tube. The tube holds the bead and protects the rim. It has a separate valve for...
It looks to be a very low profile high pressure tube. The tube holds the bead and protects the rim. It has a separate valve for controlling the pressure in the rest of the tire.
And don't they normally run two rim locks???
hvaughn88
2/18/2014 2:56pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
RacerFan wrote:
I would guess with a company the size of Pirelli would be in the 4 to 6 week range. Give or take a week but it...
Jt$ wrote:
I have heard 6 weeks. There is quite a bit of testing done, especially when a rider of Short's caliber is involved.
Cool. I love hearing about the testing side of the sport. What makes it into production, what gets canned, what is awesome but maybe not legal, haha. All very interesting stuff to a fan but probably just same shit different day for the guys that are around it on a daily basis.
Mtek
2/18/2014 3:19pm
IWreckALot wrote:
GuyB wrote:
It doesn't. They run tubes. Dunlop recommends12 psi. The teams sometimes vary from that.
In the past, James's bike ran a bib mousse in the rear, drilled with holes to simulate less air pressure. I dont know about Dallas though.
Jeff alessi
2/18/2014 3:27pm
I know a lot of guys were searching around for a tire that worked, truth was that hard packed tire you can get off the show room floor was the key. I said it early on in the day.
Jeff alessi
2/18/2014 3:28pm
Anyone else watch practice. Or that first turn in the second practice
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/18/2014 3:30pm
IWreckALot wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Mtek wrote:
In the past, James's bike ran a bib mousse in the rear, drilled with holes to simulate less air pressure. I dont know about Dallas though.
That'd be something they do in the summer. Not for SX.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/18/2014 3:45pm
Anyone else watch practice. Or that first turn in the second practice

JOHN CHOATE
2/18/2014 4:13pm
Cool shots, Guy. Definitely looks like a lack of traction. Thanks for posting.

Post a reply to: Anybody snap a shot of the magical rear tire?

The Latest