Anybody see ABC's Nightline's

olds cool
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 2:21pm
unflattering story tonight about kids under 16 yrs. getting killed/maimed/hurt on ATV's? I know this is a moto board and we sometimes ridicule the "couch riders' but this kind of negative publicity doesn't bode well for the motorcycle industry as a whole. This story reminded me of the piece Hugh Downs and Barbara Wawa (Walters) did around 1984 - 1985 on 3 - wheelers. I was a Honda m/c dealer during that time and sales started plummeting right after that story aired. I hope tonight's journalistic gem doesn't have the same effect on today's dealers as that did on me. With the economy the way it is this industry can't stand much negative publicity.
|
10/28/2010 10:23pm
We should get the story (delayed) on cable down under. Why the emphasis on under 16?
olds cool
10/28/2010 10:35pm
Antipodean wrote:
We should get the story (delayed) on cable down under. Why the emphasis on under 16?
It made a pretty big deal out of the fact that a good number of the kids getting injured are riding adult size ATV's and that a lot of dealers are willing to sell adult size models to parents of the under age kids while knowing the kid is going to br the primary user. I'm not sure about AUS but here (USA) dealers aren't supposed to sell adult size units for use by kids under 16 yrs.
MotoGuido
10/28/2010 10:53pm
Did they happen to mention that ATV's are more dangerous than motorcycles?

The Shop

Spinner
10/28/2010 11:00pm
MotoGuido wrote:
Got stats?
MotoGuido
10/28/2010 11:07pm
MotoGuido wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Got stats?
fact is she would have dumped it long before she went over that cliff.
Adam43
10/28/2010 11:18pm
olds cool wrote:
unflattering story tonight about kids under 16 yrs. getting killed/maimed/hurt on ATV's? I know this is a moto board and we sometimes ridicule the "couch riders'...
unflattering story tonight about kids under 16 yrs. getting killed/maimed/hurt on ATV's? I know this is a moto board and we sometimes ridicule the "couch riders' but this kind of negative publicity doesn't bode well for the motorcycle industry as a whole. This story reminded me of the piece Hugh Downs and Barbara Wawa (Walters) did around 1984 - 1985 on 3 - wheelers. I was a Honda m/c dealer during that time and sales started plummeting right after that story aired. I hope tonight's journalistic gem doesn't have the same effect on today's dealers as that did on me. With the economy the way it is this industry can't stand much negative publicity.
That infamous 20/20 piece was in the era of 3 channels of course...I wouldn't worry too much about this one piece causing that much negative publicity. All media messages are pretty diluted nowadays. Overload.
Spinner
10/29/2010 12:11am
MotoGuido wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Got stats?
MotoGuido wrote:
So...you don't have stats to back up your claim that "ATV's are more dangerous than motorcycles"?
alphado
10/29/2010 3:57am
It ran on the ABC Evening News as well. They found some stereotypical quad people to interview. Did not do our sport any favors.
Kinetic1
10/29/2010 4:09am
I think the problem lies 100% with parents who put little Jimmy or Janey on the LTR450 at 13. One of the guys that works for us here asked me yesterday what I thought of a 450 quad for his 13 year old. I told him he ought to have his ass kicked for even thinking about it. He was at a dealer here in town and the sales guy did what he was supposed to do and refused to help him look at a 450 for his kid but he just went to the next dealer and was told he needed to buy the 450 because his kid would outgrow a 250 or 350 raptor by next year. I told him the absolute biggest I would go would be a Honda 300 or 400EX. Air cooled not a ton of power and pretty stable. The kid has experience just not enough for a 450. Why do people not think before they act?
ImTheDude
10/29/2010 4:15am
So...you don't have stats to back up your claim that "ATV's are more dangerous than motorcycles"?

he's got a fucking brain, why quote some B.S. stats?

Kinetic1
10/29/2010 4:16am
Because without hard data you are talking out your ass whether you are right or not. Which I think he is but then again.....I don't have the data.Wink
motogrady
10/29/2010 4:37am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2010 4:39am

There was no data on anything.

Nothing on how many kids get hurt playing football either, even tho they made an example

of one that got hurt. riding a quad.

They had an agenda, and that agenda was to put quads in a bad light.
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
10/29/2010 5:59am
Back in 2005 I had a chance to testify in front of the CPSC on behalf of ATV and OHM interests. There was a guy there named Dr. Edward Heiden who also testified. Dr. Heiden operates his own business doing research on statistical data and often presents to the CPSC.

His 2005 study can be found here:

ATV injury study

Here's an interesting excerpt:

For example, on the basis of the number of injuries per 100,000 participants, ATV riding is safer than football, basketball, wrestling, bicycling, soccer, baseball, snow skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding, softball, ice hockey, boxing, roller skating, and several other recreational activities.

So why is it that ATV's are a target? Is the gov't seeking to outlaw participation in football, soccer, etc? An make no mistake gang, what happens to ATV's will flow to bikes.

It was also interesting to note that there were groups there testifying under a banner of a medical coalition that had members from environmental activist groups. Strange bedfellows, don't you think?

H

SteveS
10/29/2010 6:18am
Why under 16? Why do they say ATV's are more dangerous than motorcycles? Statistics. It's been known since the 70's.

Safety

ATVs were first introduced in the early 1970s and almost immediately realized alarming injury rates for children and adolescents.[8] Based on analysis of the National Trauma Data Bank ATVs are more dangerous than dirt bikes, possibly due to crush injuries and failure to wear safety gear such as helmets.[9] They are equally as dangerous as motorcycles, based on mortality and injury scores.[10] More children and women are injured on ATVs, who also present a lower rate of helmet usage.[11]

In the United States, statistics released by CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) show that in 2005, there were an estimated 136,700 injuries associated with ATVs treated in US hospital emergency rooms. In 2004, the latest year for which estimates are available, 767 people died in ATV-associated incidents. According to statistics released by CPSC, the risk of injury in 2005 was 171.5 injuries per 10,000 four-wheel ATVs in use. The risk of death in 2004 was 1.1 deaths per 10,000 four-wheelers in use.[12] Focus has shifted to machine size balanced with the usage of ATVs categorized by age ranges and engine displacements—in line with the consent decrees. ATVs are mandated to bear a label from the manufacturer stating that the use of machines greater than 90 cc by riders under the age of 12 is prohibited. This is a 'manufacturer/CPSC recommendation' and not necessarily state law.

The American Academy of Pediatrics and the CPSC recommended that no children under the age of 16 should ride ATVs.[13] A Canadian study stated that "associated injury patterns, severity, and costs to the healthcare system" of pediatric injuries associated to ATVs resemble those caused by Motor Vehicles, and that public policies should reflect this fact

In 1988, the All-terrain Vehicle Safety Institute (ASI) was formed to provide training and education for ATV riders.[14] The cost of attending the training is minimal and is free for purchasers of new machines that fall within the correct age/size guidelines. Successful completion of a safety training class is, in many states, a minimum requirement for minor-age children to be granted permission to ride on state land. Some states have had to implement their own safety training programs, as the ASI program cannot include those riders with ATVs outside of the age/size guidelines, which may still fall within the states laws.

According to The New York Times on September 2, 2007, the Consumer Product Safety Commission met in March 2005 to discuss the dangers of ATVs. Data from 2004 showed 44,000 children under 16 injured while riding ATVs, 150 of them fatally.[15] Says the Times, "National associations of pediatricians, consumer advocates and emergency room doctors were urging the commission to ban sales of adult-size ATVs for use by children under 16 because the machines were too big and fast for young drivers to control. But when it came time to consider such a step, a staff member whose name did not appear on the meeting agenda unexpectedly weighed in." That staff member was John Gibson Mullan, "the agency’s director of compliance and a former lawyer for the A.T.V. industry" - the Times bases the claim on a recording of the meeting. Mullan reportedly said that the existing system of warnings and voluntary compliance was working. The agency's hazard statistician, Robin Ingle, was not allowed to present a rebuttal. She told the Times in an interview, "He had hijacked the presentation. He was distorting the numbers in order to benefit industry and defeat the petition. It was almost like he still worked for them, not us." CPSC reports of ATV deaths and injuries show an increase in the raw numbers of deaths and injuries that is statistically significant. The rate of deaths and injuries, which takes into account the fact that the number of ATVs in use has risen over the last ten years, has been shown to have experienced no statistically significant change.[16]

The United States government maintains a website about the safety of ATVs[17] where safety tips are provided, such as not driving ATVs with a passenger (passengers make difficult or impossible for the driver to shift their weight, as required to drive an ATV) or not driving ATVs on paved roads (ATVs usually have a solid rear axle with no differential). There also exists a website created by parents whose children died in ATVs accidents.[18]

Many common injuries can be prevented with the use of proper protective equipment. Most ATV manufacturers recommend at least a suitable DOT approved helmet, protective eyewear, gloves, and suitable riding boots for all riding conditions. Sport or aggressive riders, or riders on challenging terrain (such as rock crawling or hillclimbing) may opt for a motocross style chest protector and knee/shin guards for further protection.
SteveS
10/29/2010 6:30am
As to the particular news story here, you have to realize that the ATV in question wasn't particularly the cause of the girl's death because of some inherent design defect or manufacturing defect. The girl drove the thing off a 200 foot cliff.

This story points out the real problem with ATV's. They are perceived by the general public as being easy to operate and fun. While that's mostly true, there is actually a lot to be learned about them before you can really have fun. We've all laughed at videos of ladies bouncing over the bars and things like that. Most people have absolutely no frame of reference for what happens when they ride anything on bumpy ground, much less take jumps. Likewise most people have no frame of reference for riding things over loose surfaces like gravel or dirt, where wheelspin and sliding are common. Add in the inexperience of a child and their smaller body size and strength, and it's a recipe for disaster.

The news story highlights this. The girl was 12, and you can see her at the beginning. She's not an experienced offroad rider. She probably isn't even an experienced bicycle rider. Yet they rented an ATV for her and the first place the tour operator took her and the family was straight from the lunch table to a 90 degree turn onto the edge of a 200 foot cliff. She didn't successfully negotiate the turn.

Is the ATV the sole fault here? Obviously not.

But that's the way the public views ATV's. They think you can go from zero to hero in 3 seconds.

Motorcycles, on the other hand, don't have this problem. The public views motorcycles as edgy, dangerous. They know that there is skill involved in riding one, and most won't even get on one. They tend not to get on one and immediately ride it to a precipice, or do anything risky. They putt around in a pasture or the backyard first, spend time learning how they ride and handle it.

Everyone thinks an ATV is just sit on it and blast away.

There's the danger problem. The accident and death rates prove it.
3D
10/29/2010 6:51am
SteveS wrote:
As to the particular news story here, you have to realize that the ATV in question wasn't particularly the cause of the girl's death because of...
As to the particular news story here, you have to realize that the ATV in question wasn't particularly the cause of the girl's death because of some inherent design defect or manufacturing defect. The girl drove the thing off a 200 foot cliff.

This story points out the real problem with ATV's. They are perceived by the general public as being easy to operate and fun. While that's mostly true, there is actually a lot to be learned about them before you can really have fun. We've all laughed at videos of ladies bouncing over the bars and things like that. Most people have absolutely no frame of reference for what happens when they ride anything on bumpy ground, much less take jumps. Likewise most people have no frame of reference for riding things over loose surfaces like gravel or dirt, where wheelspin and sliding are common. Add in the inexperience of a child and their smaller body size and strength, and it's a recipe for disaster.

The news story highlights this. The girl was 12, and you can see her at the beginning. She's not an experienced offroad rider. She probably isn't even an experienced bicycle rider. Yet they rented an ATV for her and the first place the tour operator took her and the family was straight from the lunch table to a 90 degree turn onto the edge of a 200 foot cliff. She didn't successfully negotiate the turn.

Is the ATV the sole fault here? Obviously not.

But that's the way the public views ATV's. They think you can go from zero to hero in 3 seconds.

Motorcycles, on the other hand, don't have this problem. The public views motorcycles as edgy, dangerous. They know that there is skill involved in riding one, and most won't even get on one. They tend not to get on one and immediately ride it to a precipice, or do anything risky. They putt around in a pasture or the backyard first, spend time learning how they ride and handle it.

Everyone thinks an ATV is just sit on it and blast away.

There's the danger problem. The accident and death rates prove it.
This is right on, Steve. I have a utility quad and yes, it's nothing to ride it. There is a line though where an easy to ride utility quad becomes unstable. It's that line that inexperienced people like to push. Then you end up with a rookie riding a tipsy pogo stick that weighs 700 pounds. My wife would never get on my 450 or 125, but she thinks she can do anything on my utility quad. We just got in a huge fight last week about it.
Roscoe33
10/29/2010 7:18am
Steve S you are so right about the public thinking ATV's are much safer than dirt bikes.

The media isn't about reporting news, it's about making money and good news stories don't make money.
txmxer
10/29/2010 7:21am
3D wrote:
This is right on, Steve. I have a utility quad and yes, it's nothing to ride it. There is a line though where an easy to...
This is right on, Steve. I have a utility quad and yes, it's nothing to ride it. There is a line though where an easy to ride utility quad becomes unstable. It's that line that inexperienced people like to push. Then you end up with a rookie riding a tipsy pogo stick that weighs 700 pounds. My wife would never get on my 450 or 125, but she thinks she can do anything on my utility quad. We just got in a huge fight last week about it.
Makes sense to me.

Anyone can sit on a ATV and push the throttle--and you see it all the time where I live. Idiots riding around down backroads at 50 mph with ZERO safety equipment. Kids, etc.

ATVs may not be inherently more dangerous than 2 wheeled vehicles, but those that choose to ride ATVs seem to be inherently more danger to themselves than 2 wheeled enthusiasts.
ct77
10/29/2010 7:28am
Here's a story about a study that John Hopkins did this year.

http://gazette.jhu.edu/2010/10/11/surprise-two-wheels-safer-than-four-o…

In research that may surprise off-road riding enthusiasts and safety experts, a Johns Hopkins team has found that crashes involving four-wheeled all-terrain vehicles are significantly more dangerous than crashes involving two-wheeled off-road motorcycles, such as those used in extreme sports such as Motocross.
The research, presented Oct. 6 at the American College of Surgeons’ 2010 Clinical Congress in Washington, D.C., found that victims of ATV crashes were 50 percent more likely to die of their injuries than similarly injured victims of off-road motorcycle crashes. ATV victims also were 55 percent more likely than injured motorcyclists to be admitted to a hospital’s intensive-care unit, and 42 percent more likely to be placed on a ventilator.
“There’s a belief that four wheels must be safer than two,” said Cassandra Villegas, a research fellow at the Johns Hopkins Center for Surgery Trials and Outcomes, “but we found the opposite. People involved in ATV crashes are more likely to die or suffer serious trauma.”
The growing popularity of off-road vehicles in the United States has led to a steep rise in the number of injuries resulting from their use. In 2000, Villegas said, there were 92,200 injuries involving ATVs or off-road motorcycles; in 2007, the last year for which data is available, there were 150,900. But little rigorous research has been done to determine which vehicles may be riskier than others.
ATVs and off-road motorcycles are designed for recreational use and typically are ridden on trails, sand dunes and other rough terrain.
In the first study to compare the severity of injuries sustained by ATV versus off-road motorcycle riders, Villegas and senior author Adil H. Haider, an assistant professor of surgery at Johns Hopkins, reviewed data on nearly 60,000 patients who suffered an injury after a crash involving one of the vehicles between 2002 and 2006.
The researchers say they don’t know why ATV crashes lead to greater injury and mortality, noting that they cannot trace the differences solely to helmet use, even though 60 percent of motorcyclists were wearing helmets as compared to 30 percent of those in ATV crashes. Even when both types of riders had been wearing helmets, ATV riders experienced worse injuries and outcomes than motorcyclists. Only a few states have laws requiring the use of a helmet when riding an ATV, Villegas says, and while motorcycle helmet laws are also determined by states, many more have helmet-use laws for motorcycles.
The researchers say it’s possible that ATV riders wear less-protective clothing than off-road motorcyclists, sometimes little more than shorts and a T-shirt. Another contributing factor could be the significant weight of ATVs, which can cause severe crush injuries when they land atop victims and lead to a greater likelihood of internal organ or extremity damage, Villegas says.
Villegas says that these findings may allow parents, legislators, educators and those in the ATV industry to make better decisions about the use of the off-road vehicles. She also says that studies such as these could help ATV manufacturers design and implement increased safety technology in ATVs, similar to how automobile manufacturers have used research to make safer cars and trucks.
Johns Hopkins researchers Stephen M. Bowman, Eric B. Schneider, Elliott R. Haut, Kent A. Stevens and David T. Efron contributed to this study.
NeWskoolmxer
10/29/2010 7:29am
Kinetic1 wrote:
I think the problem lies 100% with parents who put little Jimmy or Janey on the LTR450 at 13. One of the guys that works for...
I think the problem lies 100% with parents who put little Jimmy or Janey on the LTR450 at 13. One of the guys that works for us here asked me yesterday what I thought of a 450 quad for his 13 year old. I told him he ought to have his ass kicked for even thinking about it. He was at a dealer here in town and the sales guy did what he was supposed to do and refused to help him look at a 450 for his kid but he just went to the next dealer and was told he needed to buy the 450 because his kid would outgrow a 250 or 350 raptor by next year. I told him the absolute biggest I would go would be a Honda 300 or 400EX. Air cooled not a ton of power and pretty stable. The kid has experience just not enough for a 450. Why do people not think before they act?
x10,000 The parents showed No common sense on that one.
lumpy790
10/29/2010 7:35am
Its a really sad story but she could have gone off the same cliff on a mountain bike and it would not have gotten this attention.

They were filming everything......where is the footage of her loosing control and being at fault?
MX_Andrew83
10/29/2010 7:40am
Spinner wrote:
Got stats?
MotoGuido wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Seriously dude, the higher risk of an atv is so obvious, but you act as though we are attacking you without knowing any better. I understand that happens a lot here, but come dude.

I am sure I am going to receive a STFU noob for this.
10/29/2010 7:43am
This doesn't surprise me at all.
I would like to have sympathy for the ATV community- but the fact is the vast majority of them don't follow the rules. I think the rednecks take pride in putting their kids on giant ATVs. They ride without helmets. They drink and ride. They ride on the road. They ride where they aren't supposed to ride. The number of ATV riders that wear proper gear, ride in approved areas, and ride safely--- is a small percentage.
It's not a culture like motocross, where the equipment is part of the culture, and it's more organized. Most ATV riders I see act like idiots...sorry, it's what I have seen in 30 years of riding.
flarider
10/29/2010 7:45am Edited Date/Time 10/29/2010 7:46am
I saw that last night and they zeroed in on age with statements "riders as young as four," and this is the stuff I have been warning about for years on these forums and to anyone in the industry who will listen.

Kid broke his back in that news piece, thankfully no paralysis, but that didn't look good, and the likely reason was the kid hit a tree....the trees came right to the track edge.

I have said it before and I will say it again, and it will again fall on deaf ears, that unless the industry starts policing itself, the government eventually will.

They will do to motocross what they've done to ATV's where they will legally limit engine size based on age, where you will have laws saying that a rider under 12 yrs old cannot ride anything larger than 70cc, a rider between 12-15 is only allowed to rider up to 90cc and 16-18 yr old's only allowed on 125cc

This is where we are headed. ...and before any of you say it, THIS IS NOT A REPUBLICAN OR DEMOCRAT THING, because all sides play the "we have to protect the children" card...

This industry has to do something in regards to standardizing track designs, there is no excuse for an amateur track to have a 80+ foot jump....double, triple or table, track widths need to be standardized and more.

We need to regulate ourselves or the government WILL start regulating us.

Wait until 20/20 or 60 Minutes does a story on motocross and talk about the HP of a Cobra underneath a 5 or 6 yr old and how far they jump (some farther than Evel Knievel did) and how many kids in our sport are not only sustaining serious injuries, but how many have become paralyzed....I think every one of us reading this can rattle off AT MINIMUM five (5) amateur riders who've become paralyzed over the last few years.

This industry is afraid to regulate itself for fear that setting standards will open the door for lawyers...."If we say no jump can be longer than 80', we'll now have lawyers standing trackside with tape measures"....this is the defense of why the industry won't do it!

FEAR!!

They're more afraid of the personal injury attorney than they are of a full crackdown by the Federal or State Governments...."if we close our eyes and hide, hopefully no one will notice"....this is the industry position.

Mark my words, at some point in our lives, motocross as we know it will come under attack and WILL CHANGE, and then you'll really be talking about "the good old days"

This isn't a party issue people, this is an industry issue

and yeah, go ahead, send on your pissed off emails, won't be the first time I've gotten them because I speak the truth and refuse to hide it in regards to self-regulation

redalert144
Fantasy
3087th
10/29/2010 7:53am
flarider wrote:
I saw that last night and they zeroed in on age with statements "riders as young as four," and this is the stuff I have been...
I saw that last night and they zeroed in on age with statements "riders as young as four," and this is the stuff I have been warning about for years on these forums and to anyone in the industry who will listen.

Kid broke his back in that news piece, thankfully no paralysis, but that didn't look good, and the likely reason was the kid hit a tree....the trees came right to the track edge.

I have said it before and I will say it again, and it will again fall on deaf ears, that unless the industry starts policing itself, the government eventually will.

They will do to motocross what they've done to ATV's where they will legally limit engine size based on age, where you will have laws saying that a rider under 12 yrs old cannot ride anything larger than 70cc, a rider between 12-15 is only allowed to rider up to 90cc and 16-18 yr old's only allowed on 125cc

This is where we are headed. ...and before any of you say it, THIS IS NOT A REPUBLICAN OR DEMOCRAT THING, because all sides play the "we have to protect the children" card...

This industry has to do something in regards to standardizing track designs, there is no excuse for an amateur track to have a 80+ foot jump....double, triple or table, track widths need to be standardized and more.

We need to regulate ourselves or the government WILL start regulating us.

Wait until 20/20 or 60 Minutes does a story on motocross and talk about the HP of a Cobra underneath a 5 or 6 yr old and how far they jump (some farther than Evel Knievel did) and how many kids in our sport are not only sustaining serious injuries, but how many have become paralyzed....I think every one of us reading this can rattle off AT MINIMUM five (5) amateur riders who've become paralyzed over the last few years.

This industry is afraid to regulate itself for fear that setting standards will open the door for lawyers...."If we say no jump can be longer than 80', we'll now have lawyers standing trackside with tape measures"....this is the defense of why the industry won't do it!

FEAR!!

They're more afraid of the personal injury attorney than they are of a full crackdown by the Federal or State Governments...."if we close our eyes and hide, hopefully no one will notice"....this is the industry position.

Mark my words, at some point in our lives, motocross as we know it will come under attack and WILL CHANGE, and then you'll really be talking about "the good old days"

This isn't a party issue people, this is an industry issue

and yeah, go ahead, send on your pissed off emails, won't be the first time I've gotten them because I speak the truth and refuse to hide it in regards to self-regulation

Who would you have do this? As far as I've seen the AMA is not even in Arizona and prolly many other states.
flarider
10/29/2010 7:57am
Who would you have do this? As far as I've seen the AMA is not even in Arizona and prolly many other states.
Then that needs to be addressed
There are other industry associations.
Maybe a new association/council needs to be formed solely for this purpose

But would you prefer the Feds or State Governments do it?

Excuses are easy, solutions are hard

Post a reply to: Anybody see ABC's Nightline's

The Latest