Anybody ever used Winderosa Gaskets?

Faceaz
12/30/2012 5:30pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2013 1:05pm
Guess I wasn't paying close attention when I ordered a gasket set for a yzf. Says made in USA on the box, but not too impressed with the quality. Getting past fitment issues, the sealant on the headgasket was not even, a little gummy in spots... Tried it anyway, first start up OK, 2nd cold start a little white smoke, quick peak in the radiator - sure enough coolant a little down. Angry
|
CamP
12/30/2012 6:00pm
They are junk. I used a Moose labeled Winderosa head gasket on my RM250 and it leaked coolant before I ever started the engine. They sent me a replacement and it leaked too. Finally installed an OEM gasket and it worked perfectly.
pitbike502
12/30/2012 6:01pm
OEM. Most are very reasonably priced.
Faceaz
12/30/2012 6:06pm
pitbike502 wrote:
OEM. Most are very reasonably priced.
Not reasonable for a complete engine set Wink

I've used them all, never had an issue till Winderosa.

The Shop

Faceaz
12/30/2012 6:29pm
pitbike502 wrote:
http://www.sport-mann.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2706761&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2011&fveh=135205 01 GASKET KIT B (COMPONENT PARTS) 001 $55.95 $49.24 - entire bottom end gasket set on 2012 crf 450 from a honda dealer in CNY...
http://www.sport-mann.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2706761&cate…;

01 GASKET KIT B (COMPONENT PARTS) 001 $55.95 $49.24

- entire bottom end gasket set on 2012 crf 450 from a honda dealer in CNY.. you can find a better discount at other places if you have that kind of time..
pretty reasonable
Plus close to another 50 for the top-end.
TerryK
12/30/2012 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2012 8:24pm
Faceaz wrote:
I paid 65. But you're right, that's better for an OEM kit than I would have thought. I ordered a Tusk top-end kit for it tonight...
I paid 65. But you're right, that's better for an OEM kit than I would have thought. I ordered a Tusk top-end kit for it tonight for $24.00.
Wait what? You used a shitty gasket set and got shitty results (predictable) yet you went ahead and ordered yet another shitty kit? Those Tusk gaskets are pure GARBAGE. So now you paid more than you would have for a good set and you'll still have to buy another one. Looks like you just learned a 200 dollar lesson.

OEM or Cometic are the only ones I'll use.
jndmx
12/30/2012 8:25pm
pitbike502 wrote:
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/COMETIC-TOP-END-GASKET-KIT

$82.99 for a cometic full gasket kit. how much was the winderosa one? just curious
Faceaz wrote:
I paid 65. But you're right, that's better for an OEM kit than I would have thought. I ordered a Tusk top-end kit for it tonight...
I paid 65. But you're right, that's better for an OEM kit than I would have thought. I ordered a Tusk top-end kit for it tonight for $24.00.
Sounds like you really saved yourself some good money there........$18 less for the POS kit and you've had to change it twice now.
Yeah that's quite a savings you got there.
LaughingLaughing
BAMX
12/30/2012 8:27pm
I have used K&s gasket sets and seal sets on my 125 and have had good results. Has anyone used the Namura gaskets or pistons?
Faceaz
12/30/2012 8:29pm
Faceaz wrote:
TerryK wrote:
Wait what? You used a shitty gasket set and got shitty results (predictable) yet you went ahead and ordered yet another shitty kit? Those Tusk gaskets...
Wait what? You used a shitty gasket set and got shitty results (predictable) yet you went ahead and ordered yet another shitty kit? Those Tusk gaskets are pure GARBAGE. So now you paid more than you would have for a good set and you'll still have to buy another one. Looks like you just learned a 200 dollar lesson.

OEM or Cometic are the only ones I'll use.
As I said before, wasn't paying attention when I did the first order. I've never had an issue with the Tusk Gaskets. Probably done 100+ top-ends / engine rebuilds with them, never an issue.
TerryK
12/30/2012 8:34pm
Faceaz wrote:
As I said before, wasn't paying attention when I did the first order. I've never had an issue with the Tusk Gaskets. Probably done 100+ top-ends...
As I said before, wasn't paying attention when I did the first order. I've never had an issue with the Tusk Gaskets. Probably done 100+ top-ends / engine rebuilds with them, never an issue.
100 top ends with that shit? I don't believe that for one second. I LOOKED at one of those sets and laughed. WAY thinner than what the manufacture calls for and they look like they are made of construction paper. You do know that gasket thickness on many engine components is critical right??
Faceaz
12/30/2012 8:40pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2012 8:49pm
Faceaz wrote:
As I said before, wasn't paying attention when I did the first order. I've never had an issue with the Tusk Gaskets. Probably done 100+ top-ends...
TerryK wrote:
100 top ends with that shit? I don't believe that for one second. I LOOKED at one of those sets and laughed. WAY thinner than what...
100 top ends with that shit? I don't believe that for one second. I LOOKED at one of those sets and laughed. WAY thinner than what the manufacture calls for and they look like they are made of construction paper. You do know that gasket thickness on many engine components is critical right??
So, you're trashing something you've never used? Glad I'm talking to someone with experience. Yes, thickness is important. So, I'm sure you threw a mic on it & did that on used gaskets that had been compacted.

You're so perfect, I'm sure you've never had a head milled before either. Only replace it with a brand new OEM one right?
TerryK
12/30/2012 8:48pm
Faceaz wrote:
So, you're trashing something you've never used? Glad I'm talking to someone with experience. Yes, thickness is important. So, I'm sure you threw a mic on...
So, you're trashing something you've never used? Glad I'm talking to someone with experience. Yes, thickness is important. So, I'm sure you threw a mic on it & did that on used gaskets that had been compacted.

You're so perfect, I'm sure you've never had a head milled before either. Only replace it with a brand new OEM one right?
Dude, why would any engine builder worth his salt use any part that looked like it was made by monkeys in a tin shanty in a rural Chinese village? Thats idiotic and it's obvious who in this thread has the experience. If a gasket is 1/4 the thickness of what the factory calls for, are you saying that it will magically swell in size once installed and torqued?? Come on man, spend the money and do it right, not like you have been doing in the past. With all due respect, if you really have the experience you say, you wouldn't be asking which gaskets are good.

I know from 35 years of engine building which components are good without having to ask strangers on an mx forum.
Faceaz
12/30/2012 8:51pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2012 8:52pm
Not saying gaskets swell, saying they squish. Never asked which gaskets are good.
TerryK
12/30/2012 8:55pm
Faceaz wrote:
Not saying gaskets swell, saying they squish. Never asked which gaskets are good.
So tell me how a too thin gasket becomes just right as you suggested? And you pretty much did ask just by posting this thread.

Cut your losses and order the good gaskets and be happy when nothing leaks or sucks.
TerryK
12/30/2012 9:00pm Edited Date/Time 12/30/2012 9:04pm
Faceaz wrote:
So, you're trashing something you've never used? Glad I'm talking to someone with experience. Yes, thickness is important. So, I'm sure you threw a mic on...

If I get a head milled, as long as it's within an acceptable range a stock gasket is fine. If the amount milled off will cause a valve to piston clearance problem in a four stroke or a compression/squish problem in a two stroke then I'll compensate accordingly if the proper thickness gaskets are available. If not, the head is replaced. It's just the way a savvy builder does things.

Seriously though, I'm sorry if I came off a bit harsh, but I have low tolerance for those cheap knock off parts that ruin many an engine in the name of saving a few bucks. I don't blow my own horn but I do know what I'm talking about in this situation.
mattbmx63
12/30/2012 10:18pm
Classic thread right here.

Shit + Shit = Fools Gold

TerryK, thanks for common sense. I will not work on a customers engine unless I am using OEM gaskets. Never had one fail, you get what you pay for.
GuppyGahoo
12/30/2012 10:40pm
I recently ordered an Athena full engine gasket kit for a complete rebuild. Worked perfectly! FWIW.
TerryK
1/1/2013 1:05pm
GuppyGahoo wrote:
I recently ordered an Athena full engine gasket kit for a complete rebuild. Worked perfectly! FWIW.
Athena gaskets are decent in most cases, but if I'm doing a multi cylinder street engine I'll only use OEM for head gaskets and various other ones, but GOOD aftermarket products are ok for covers and such.

Post a reply to: Anybody ever used Winderosa Gaskets?

The Latest