Any pro tips for first GP?

nolookpass
I've only been riding for 3 years (I'm 37) and signed up for my first GP (it's a month away). Outside of the common sense stuff (hydrate a ton, diet sensibly, keep working out/doing cardio, and pacing myself), is there any good tips or tricks?

I was thinking of taping some of those energy gel's to the side of the bike (like a cyclist would do, but near the tank) and have them handy so I don't have to go into my pack (I plan on wearing a camel back and filling with water) mid-ride for quick energy if I needed it.

I was also thinking of taking 1-2 ibuprofen before to keep my back and knees loose, and wearing a vented all white kit so I don't get as hot from the sun (I'm in SoCal), and maybe wrapping one of those cold towel's around my neck too keep me cool? Tons of tear offs? Should I run hand-guards or not really? Are new tires a good idea or would it be overkill?

My goals are not too lofty - just finish and not crash but most importantly, have fun and get a feel for it.

Thank you.
|
Aryen
10/12/2017 5:09am
Most people here will probably think of something else when you say GP.
Spergen
10/12/2017 5:55am
Aryen wrote:
Most people here will probably think of something else when you say GP.
I did actually, thought shit this guy's got a steep learning curve, 3yrs riding and already going for his first GP I'm doing something wrong !
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
10/12/2017 5:59am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2017 7:09am
Whatever you do, try it before in practice - that's probably the best tip.
If you go to a race and do all kinds of stuff that you're usually not doing, you don't know how your body will react to it and if it even helps.

A few years ago I did a 3hr race and I told my wife to pour ice water over me when I come into the box. Well the water was so cold that it shocked my body and I couldn't breathe properly. I had to stop like 5mins before I could continue the race. Should have tried it before...
Same with energy gels or whatever you plan to eat or drink. Try it before.
Gravel
10/12/2017 7:04am
Start slow and try to get faster as the race goes on. You’ll be amazed by the guys who completely blow their energy in the first 15 min of a long race. Just relax and ride..

The Shop

gt80rider
10/12/2017 8:02am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2017 8:02am
nolookpass wrote:
I've only been riding for 3 years (I'm 37) and signed up for my first GP (it's a month away). Outside of the common sense stuff...
I've only been riding for 3 years (I'm 37) and signed up for my first GP (it's a month away). Outside of the common sense stuff (hydrate a ton, diet sensibly, keep working out/doing cardio, and pacing myself), is there any good tips or tricks?

I was thinking of taping some of those energy gel's to the side of the bike (like a cyclist would do, but near the tank) and have them handy so I don't have to go into my pack (I plan on wearing a camel back and filling with water) mid-ride for quick energy if I needed it.

I was also thinking of taking 1-2 ibuprofen before to keep my back and knees loose, and wearing a vented all white kit so I don't get as hot from the sun (I'm in SoCal), and maybe wrapping one of those cold towel's around my neck too keep me cool? Tons of tear offs? Should I run hand-guards or not really? Are new tires a good idea or would it be overkill?

My goals are not too lofty - just finish and not crash but most importantly, have fun and get a feel for it.

Thank you.
Just wondering, how did you get into riding at the age of 34 in this day and age? I only ask because our industry needs a LOT more people like you.
MelonFan123
10/12/2017 8:10am
I think the gel packs and any mid race snack is not a great idea. How long is the race, probably 45 min to an hour?

Vented gear might be good depending on weather. A full camel back should be all you need as far as hydration and personal prep goes.

For everything else I would focus on bike set up. Where is the GP? A lot of the SoCal GPs that are held at MX tracks just cut new trails into the areas surrounding the tracks so it's in a lot of heavy brush. In many of those cases hand guards will be beneficial. A larger tank could help depending on the terrain and speed of the course. New tires are always a good idea too. Definitely use tear offs and if you've never used them before make sure you try them a time or two on practice days leading up to the race.

good luck!
ccullins76
10/12/2017 8:18am
Assuming your talking about a Big6 GP?
Those races are too wide open and fast to worry about grabbing an energy pack or anything like that.
Don't stack too many tear-offs on or you won't be able to see at the start. After the first lap or two you probably won't really go through too many.
Some of the light weight hand guards are nice for roost and rocks.
For the tires, kinda depends on the current condition of the tires on your bike and your budget. If they still have a good amount of life left I wouldn't replace them just because your doing a race.
Biggest thing is to just relax and have fun!
DE262
10/12/2017 9:09am
Get a camel back- and vented gear if you're talking about the Lake Elsinore GP!!!!

But seriously, stay loose on the grips and sit back and ride. It's a long one...

Have fun and embrace the blisters.
nolookpass
10/12/2017 2:27pm
nolookpass wrote:
I've only been riding for 3 years (I'm 37) and signed up for my first GP (it's a month away). Outside of the common sense stuff...

Thank you.
gt80rider wrote:
Just wondering, how did you get into riding at the age of 34 in this day and age? I only ask because our industry needs a...
Just wondering, how did you get into riding at the age of 34 in this day and age? I only ask because our industry needs a LOT more people like you.
I have a DH mountain bike background and got tired of pushing, hiking, and struggling for only a few minutes of downhill/jumps. A lot of the DH guys have either a DJ or MX background, and one day my buddy said, try motos, it's just as much fun as DH but without any of the peddling or pushing. Plus, the city started to aggressively crack down on mountain biking (as if it was some huge crime). I'm talking they were taking bikes from people at trail heads. F that.

Tried it once and was hooked. Within 4 days I had a bike of my own (A used one from Craig's list of course). It's sort of taken over and has priority over all my other hobbies. I'm an internally competitive person, and I like seeing progression and this is something that rewards all other "good habits" in life -- good diet, stretching, weightlifting/cardio/cycling, etc. Fun to see myself passing people who have been riding much longer. That does not happen often, but when it does, it's rewarding.
nolookpass
10/12/2017 2:30pm
I think the gel packs and any mid race snack is not a great idea. How long is the race, probably 45 min to an hour...
I think the gel packs and any mid race snack is not a great idea. How long is the race, probably 45 min to an hour?

Vented gear might be good depending on weather. A full camel back should be all you need as far as hydration and personal prep goes.

For everything else I would focus on bike set up. Where is the GP? A lot of the SoCal GPs that are held at MX tracks just cut new trails into the areas surrounding the tracks so it's in a lot of heavy brush. In many of those cases hand guards will be beneficial. A larger tank could help depending on the terrain and speed of the course. New tires are always a good idea too. Definitely use tear offs and if you've never used them before make sure you try them a time or two on practice days leading up to the race.

good luck!
Yes, 45 minutes. The race is around Lake Elsinore (this one: http://dirtseriesracing.com/lake-elsinore-gp.html). I don't know the layout yet, but YouTube'd a few from years past and it looked like a lot of jeep-type tracks with a little bit of MX thrown in.

I'm not going to switch tanks for this- I'll run the mellow mapping (less fuel-demanding) and just pace myself. I'll put like 10 year offs on and see how it goes.
nolookpass
10/12/2017 2:34pm
ccullins76 wrote:
Assuming your talking about a Big6 GP? Those races are too wide open and fast to worry about grabbing an energy pack or anything like that...
Assuming your talking about a Big6 GP?
Those races are too wide open and fast to worry about grabbing an energy pack or anything like that.
Don't stack too many tear-offs on or you won't be able to see at the start. After the first lap or two you probably won't really go through too many.
Some of the light weight hand guards are nice for roost and rocks.
For the tires, kinda depends on the current condition of the tires on your bike and your budget. If they still have a good amount of life left I wouldn't replace them just because your doing a race.
Biggest thing is to just relax and have fun!
It's the "Dirt Series" one (I linked to it in a follow-up post). I really don't care about my place, so I'm fine pulling off/over and hydrating or consuming a gel or banana if I really need to eat something. I'm fine letting people pass me or I'm fine pulling off just to rest if I need it.

These things are pretty good too (http://www.glacier-national-park-travel-guide.com/with-clif-organic-ene…) energy-wise. More substantial than a simple gel yet easy to digest.

I keep bringing up food b/c when we burn motos I get super hungry super quick. I probably have some sort of low-key blood sugar issue too, so whatever.

Post a reply to: Any pro tips for first GP?

The Latest